One of two things will happen in the next four years to the major programs who recruit early and have not discounted the bias toward kids who mature earlier / are older for their class.

1. They keep winning and it is moot.
2. It blows up in their faces and those same coaches get fired.

Kids at the major "early recruiting" places who are freshman in college now finishing fall ball were the first class to my memory where lots of kids committed at or before the start of 10th grade. To my memory, this year's senior HS class is the first one that had kids commit as 9th graders before XMas. The 2017 classes on down were an early free for all. It will be interesting the say the least how productive this college freshman class is on the field at UVA, UNC, Hop, UMD, then onwards over the next few years.

We'll know soon if it really is a hot mess, but unfortunately too late for a lot of late blooming 10th or 11th graders now. That stinks on some levels. On my son's team is a very good player who didn't start playing lacrosse until 7th grade. Now he has caught or passed a lot of the kids on a very good team, but since he's in 11th grade it is too late. That seems nuts to me, but the college coaches have made their determinations. Let's see if they were right.