Originally Posted by Anonymous
How did American Select Tryouts go? Think they'll have just one team w/22 players like they say or expand to 2?
How was the turnout? Which clubs were mostly represented?

I read a couple relies to your question and I am completely unimpressed with their responses. First off, they didn't answer your questions. I won't either since I wasn't at the tryouts. Sorry.

However, whether American Select is or is not a good thing will depend entirely on what you/your daughter hopes to achieve by attending the event. American Select may be a perfect fit for what you want regardless of whether it is a fit for others.

yet you post more gibberish

Only 1 team made, good decision. Not enough talent for 2 great teams. At this age, look at this only for the experience and making friends. No college coaches will look at 28s. I heard two 29s that were there as just a practice for next year were offered a spot. Not sure what positions on the field they are.

So you’re saying they cut 28s and took 29s who showed up to tryouts even though it wasn’t open to 29s? Something about that seems really shady.

No, I heard 29s were allowed to come. More like a run through of the tryout setup. It has been allowed in other years. I bet AS never expected them to be good enough to make it. I haven’t heard of any underagers being offered before. My oldest is a 23 and definitely a couple tryout years had younger girls there.

Money grab. And the fact they cut 28s for 29s, which they didn’t even advertise it was open to, is insane. So two kids show up and they let them try out. Seems shade. What connections did they have? Who was selecting? This in my opinion discredits the whole process. Glad we skipped it to be honest.

Yeah, I have to agree. I cannot imagine feeling entitled enough to bring my kid to a tryout for a select team a year above my kids grad year unless I was urged to do so my someone involved.

Lots of girls leave these tryouts bummed they didn’t get that many touches or a chance to show what they can do, and they’re gonna let girls come for “practice”??? That just seems off, or as a was stated, an opportunity to get paid for however many extra tryout registrations. Sounds like AU Futures was the way to go.

I disagree, kids play up all over the place. Look at the clubs that constantly let younger years play up all season. If they earned a spot, good for them. It sounds common to let some younger girls tryout in lowest age group. But If they aren’t as good as the 28 girls then I say fishy. It is definitely all a money grab, all of them. Maybe they allowed because numbers were down due to AU Futures?