Originally Posted by Anonymous
Unfortunately your argument about ND is void, almost all of them are older, youngest is March, most are over age and the ones that arent will PG. So yes, while they have talent they are not ready. There is nothing wrong with holding back, this conversation/argument needs to end. It’s a reality in this sport whether you like it or not and it’s only going to get worse. Club owners and directors see dollars not birthdates and until they are forced to apply dates to grad years it will continue. Yes there are dates for 14u and under, but after that it’s the Wild West. Need to adapt and or accept.

You're funny. Most are ON AGE as documented with the facts above . . . but don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

I'm not judging folks that choose to hold back. And I don't disagree with your comments about the financial motivations of club owners.

I'm just simply disproving the myth that holding back is the only route to big time D1. In reality the most talented kids will end up at the top schools whether they held back or not.

It’s not a myth, it’s factual, you chose 1 school. based on the ND roster, if you’re a public school kid you have a 12% chance of making the roster there. A whopping 6 out of 50 kids are public schoolers. Might want to reclassify or put Junior into a private school if ND is the dream.

The discussion was about holdbacks . . . not private vs public. I don't disagree that private kids make up the majority of the top tier D1 rosters. That doesn't mean they're hold backs. In most places in the US, public school lacrosse is lousy so good players gravitate to the privates whether they plan to hold back or not.

Yes, I chose ND because they are at the top of the heap right now. I presented facts. If you insist on spreading the myth that you have to hold back to go bigtime D1, please share the facts to back up your position.

Interesting conversation. I don’t think you need to be a holdback to commit to a top d1 program (top 20?). However the majority of top commits to these top programs are holdbacks, this years ND commits not withstanding. For the last several years, especially since 2020 most commits to these top programs are not on age especially the early September commits. Some are also PGs that are being stashed at prep schools to free up college roster sports. Thenproof (and I’m too lazy to crunch all the birthdays) has been show in IL recruitment database for the last 5 years.

I guess the confusion lies in the definition of “majority are holdbacks”. Is it 51%, 60% 75% 95%? If I had to say, it is somewhere between 65-70%. So you don’t NEED to holdback but it definitely is the norm, again only talking about top d1 and early commits.

And yes, prep schools are littered with not on age kids