The number of teams is irrelevant and could be off, but even if they had 20 (more realistic number), players on a team with a substantial differential for "A" team players ($1,200), proper compensation for the coaches at all levels would be a moot point.

This can work at all ages. In the younger years, families may not see the value in traveling incurring what proves to be an unnecessary expense since it won't impact their later years where colleges start reaching out and it matters most. The most important thing in the Summer for primary grades is that the kids have a stick in their hand and are playing on a good club team being coached by great coaches, i.e. Express. There are also those kids that want to be the best on their team or still building their confidence levels to play with “A” team players, it could be immature, but it certainly is a possibility especially at the younger years where confidence levels are developing. It doesn't benefit a 10 year old to play on an "A" team if they are going to be a benchwarmer, that child's parents may choose after facing this reality or experience, my kid is better off playing for a different coach or not an "A" team until he matures both physically and mentally, again given that option. It happens in many sports and parents don’t often share this with others especially since it could be a sensitive matter and involves a child and a parental choice.

If you had tiered pricing, it might change the makeup of the "A" team in the high school years. Since college interest seems to be getting earlier and earlier, in the high school years, this allows opportunities for better college exposure at an earlier age leading to hopefully more athletes receiving the college interest they desire and more college commitments, a win win!! Yes, ultimately, the entire “A” team could switch to “B”. Some of the older better players may also have gained the interest of the coaches they desire and/or may prefer to put price differential money into showcasing solo rather than being on an “A” team. Solo showcasing can be beneficial as well since if you do not get adequate playing time on your Summer travel team, the college coach you are trying to impress may not even see your talent since you may have been in the game minimally and possibly not made a positive lasting impression in the time allotted. It’s much easier and more controlled with individual showcasing. Most parents/players won’t have the gumption or opportunity to approach a travel team coach to work the issue of playtime out until it may be too late. Colleges and showcase applications only want to know what Summer team you play on, they don’t ask A, B or C, Express is reputable and impressive enough.

If you are going to have different levels of play, it will take some coordination at the beginning but perhaps more satisfied customers in the end. At the time of the tryout calling, the price structure, coaches and tournaments to be attended by all levels should be announced. If all of this information is not available, which the majority should be available, provide what is, at the very least the pricing especially if there is a spike.

The more informed people are, the happier they will be especially when it has to do with planning and finance. Whatever the balance of the information is then available at the actual tryout, this information should be disclosed. Finally, this information is most critical especially when there is a spike, and if necessary, people have opportunities to shop around without it being too late and other organizations teams are already formed.

Based on a tryout, the "A" team players should be approached first, given all the particulars again, i.e. tournament to be attended and coaching menus for the upcoming Summer for all levels and let them choose:

$2900 “A”
$1700 “B”
$1600 “C” if available

People would have the opportunity to review and better plan for the balance of their Summer without concerning themselves with an overlap or conflict of any sort. Additionally, people will know what they are paying for most importantly. Certainly people deserve to be informed of pricing especially when there is a spike, and budgeting could be a concern, not everyone wants to share their financial concern, it’s awkward and not something easily spoken about.

The soonest this information is available, the better, you know what you are paying for as well before you are approached for a team, a true time saving tool when those invites go out. Families can make intelligent financial decisions especially since parents are certainly a part of process. It also opens up the option of shopping around if this is not the pricing you, and not when the kid is already invited on an “A” team and wants to play and the family is shocked and possibly not able to face this bill.

Invites for the “A” team would be first and staggered until the positions are filled. They could reach out to the balance of their initial targets for the other teams at the same time, and simply state, we are inviting you to play for our organization for this Summer, we will be contacting you shortly as to what team you are being considered for. The “B” team may fill faster or may not, it’s worth a try.

Ultimately, the entire “A” team can go to “B”, and visa versa because everyone’s needs have been met, leading to “getting what you pay for and a job well done by Express”. Let the parents decide what works best for their kid and their pockets in the right order, “A” team players first, and at the same time, the organization will be taking in the same amount of money. College interest is getting earlier and earlier, it may not be necessary for a some high school players to pay big bucks for their Summer travel teams when they have already gained the interest they desire. In the high school years, if an original “A” team player goes to “B”, chances are Express has done their job well, and most importantly customers are satisfied since they were part of the decision. For parents or kids who care what team their kid was asked to be on, kids talk, everyone will know the initial “A” invites and the subsequent second stringers, it’s part of life, and what does it really matter in the end when you were part of the decision making process. Everyone likes to say their kid is on an “A” team, it’s normal, but if you’re confident in your kids ability, he will rise on a “B” team, if you’re good, you can rise at an individual showcase event, after a while it becomes overkill, the over achievers and wealthy will still pay the “A” team price even though their kid already has the interest they desire, but there could be some who will be realistic and say, “My kids needs are met, I don’t need to spend $2900 to play this Summer, or I can holdoff because my kid is too young, I don’t have the money, I want to save the money and put it towards other lacrosse events or workouts to hopefully enhance his skills, or he is getting or will be getting the support from his high school coach or recruiting service that he needs, all these are options and certainly possibilities.