Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, that is the thing about discrimination law, in private business you can (and have to) make a lot of decisions as long as they are not focused on a protected class of people, while the same standard of conduct isn't extended to others. ML can omit anyone they want from any event, so long as the reason isn't exclusive to a protected class. For instance, if what they accuse Nationals of doing is accurate, they sure can reject them from future events..........unless True and other clubs (like ML!!!) are known by tournament ownership to be participating in that same exact behavior to any extent.

I can almost guarantee that is the core of Nationals' complaint, but we can't really know that because the complaint is poorly written and they haven't gotten ahead of it PR-wise, which is a mistake.

What did Madlax accuse Nationals of doing; why were they banned? Can’t be for being a national team there were 8 National teams just in the 2023 bracket of the tourney!
Also can’t say it’s cause they are minority - Nations United is specifically developed to provide opportunities for minority players and they were in it. Why was Nationals turned away?

Nationals were turned away because at last years club nationals, their 2027 team used players who were rostered on other teams for the same tournament. MadLax had to boot them in order to preserve the integrity of the event. Very simple.[/quote]

This response is accurate but not comprehensive. The "line in the sand" is whether an organization is adding players DURING a tournament who were not on the submitted roster. "Illegal rostering" is usually two rules: 1) All players must be on a submitted roster; 2) No player can be on more than one roster.

OK.....so..... It is well known that Madlax, True, Crabs, 91, Nationals, Mad Dog, Team Eighteen, and others all violate these two rules "occasionally." It is a horrible practice for youth sports, and it is always against the rules. Ad hoc/on-the-spot roster additions also means some parents are not paying, which I personally find insulting to those who do pay. Some of the clubs have in fact had teams DQ'ed (or players told to leave the field) for these roster violations, at prior tournaments as well as in the HoCo league. Some as recently as 2021.

Madlax ran the event in question last year. I was there. Arguably Madlax rosters were "ready to go" and not ad hoc for this Madlax event. Nationals decided to undertake this bad practice at this particular event, and got caught. Madlax is the tourney organizer and chose to enforce this rule. Very self serving by Madlax, but #1, their event, their rules, and #2 I have a hard time believing it was racially based as accused. The only evidence to support that would be if other clubs run by white guys were allowed to do on-the-spot rostering at the same Madlax event, which I kind of doubt (but would be hilarious to hear about).