Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Dad of a middle school kid playing for one of the big brand "elite" clubs in maryland (we're closer to baltimore than philly) but going to a pa public school system not known for lax hoping for some answers/advice...

1. Our "elite" club has been averaging 17 D1 commits per year. In your experience, how many of those kids are recruited and brought in during high school vs. being developed from middle school? My kids probably in the top 25% of our team but is not one of the key studs. What type of turnover should I expect come 9th grade?

2. If my kid does develop, is he screwed because he doesn't go to a private school with a reputation? Several team dads say that school is more important than club in getting visibility.

I appreciate any advice...

1) it’s typically a mix of recruited players and developed players. Due to the nature of the game as you know, there are some skills that can’t be coached / taught that some players have that others don’t that given them a competitive advantage ( speed, strength, coordination, vision/anticipation, etc). If a player is a student he’s getting recruited at practically every level. Middle school club, high school club and of course college. Turnover varies by club and by year and has factors that influence it such as coaching changes, club mergers, players looking for greener pastures, etc

2) If your kid is a standout player he will get recruited regardless of the school he goes to. Show cases and club lacrosse will help him get noticed if he’s a standout player. Club lacrosse will help develop your sons skill but that’s no guarantee your sons skills will develop to a standout level. How much does he play on his own time? How much does he like the game? Is he a quick learner? How is his footwork hand eye coordination? Etc. If he enjoys the game, plays a lot and is a good athlete overall he has a good chance of playing D1 ball or high level D2 or D3 if he wants to. Bluntly, your sons skill level, athleticism and academic standing will be the biggest factors in his recruiting. The best thing you can do is put him in an environment with good coaching, support him academically and trust the process from there if playing college lacrosse is the goal. When recruitment time comes around be realistic athletically and academically about which schools are a good fit, visit multiple schools, and choose school that he’ll most likely have a positive, beneficial experience outside of just lacrosse. Of course hopefully you get some scholarship money academically and/or athletically especially considering the cost of higher education these days

* If a player is a student he is getting recruited at practically every level (the moderators spell checked my post incorrectly)