Originally Posted by Anonymous
Public school needs a shot clock. Stall ball is terrible. Watched Severna park play bad lacrosse.

Watched SP play Severn - very good game considering SP won every face-off. Yes the throw it around 5-6 times, dodge 5-6 times and pull it out and kill 5 minutes of clock is terrible. Saw the same with Broadneck vs Dematha. Some very talented kids on all 4 teams but the game is supposed to be the fastest game on 2 feet. It was slow and hard to watch. I also watched the girls game between SP and Spalding. The game is really slowed down with no clock

Almost every private/public matchup is like this- Limit possessions and hope to keep it close late.

Question- Why are privates required to play public rules? Home team should dictate the rules that are used.

Of course I doubt any publics would agree to play a private school, using a shot clock.

I think its much easier for the privates to play Federation rules. Also, Public schools don't use a shot clock, because there is so much disparity between the teams. The same thing the publics do against the privates, the weaker public school teams to do the really good public schools.

No one answered the question:

Why are privates required to play public rules? Home team should dictate the rules that are used.

Easy answer:

It's a gentleman's rule to help the vastly weaker public schools. There is very little difference to game play, except federation allows weaker teams to remain competitive:

Both have similar clearing counts/rules.

But Federation allows teams to play stall ball.

Federation allows teams to call timeout to retain possession, anywhere on the field.

Federation requires a running clock if games get out of hand.

All for the weaker teams

So by your argument for last hundred years the rules in the NCAA were set up for the weaker teams. Here is an easy thing... No wonder people have a disdain for parents in the MIAA including other parents in MIAA LOL.

Phhhht it's not superiority, it's money. The softening of rules, in general, has a lot to do with the sport currently focusing on inclusiveness and (economic/participation) growth. And nationally the sport is growing 20% per year. And You want new parents to want their kids to participate. So you make it not impossible for upstart or publicly-funded programs to win games. That's not very controversial.

There's an incredible amount of money at stake in youth lax, and the focus is GROWTH. There's literally a public investors report on the "growing market for lax sticks for 3-7 year olds" available on the web. Can't sell them sticks if it's the only sport (besides basketball) in town with a shot clock, and the kids can't throw and catch. I would argue that the focus on Sixes is part of this - being able to play a formal small sided game if you're in a random town that only has 9 HS kids playing lax. Now you have a team (and that team can buy gear!!!).