Originally Posted by Anonymous
At the heart of the Pat Spencer argument is that kids develop by getting on the field and playing in games.

Every kid (no matter their level) had a better chance of getting on the field and contributing earlier, and therefore developing, at a program that has 80 kids rather than 130.

It just depends on your tolerance for winning in the conference.

Do you want to ride the pine for a "winner" or contribute to a team that's "building?"

I find much of this kind of funny, seeing as even the bottom half of the A league are still a top 15 teams in the state.

MIAA is overrated . Yes they have some really good teams as do other HS conferences like DC/NVA/Philly, NJ, LI, NY . Take the bottom half of MIAA and it would lose to most LI top 1/2/3/4th teams in better conferences.

What part of "league" don't you understand. Long Island has 175? 190? high schools and some play each other and most don't. Sure there are some teams that could beat the paint off of any MIAA team. There's a reason they don't get assembled in a league together........nobody outside the MIAA wants to take that heat, 2x per week for 6 weeks.

Nova: 1 team in the national top 50, zero in the top 25. So, I don't see a "better than the MIAA" league happening. Stop trying to make "elite nova lax" happen. It's not going to happen. Yeah I know, "Oh but so many elite Nova kids go to MD and DC schools." Cool. Why don't they go to VA schools?

In fact let's expand to all of VA...name a VHSL team that would be favored to beat anybody in MIAA-A except for Severn School. The 5x state champions at 5A (Robinson) sends like 1 kid to D1 every year. I am not sure they could beat John Carroll or Severn.

IAC: Top 2-3 teams are BETTER, most days, than the best MIAA teams. Conference as a whole? No. Nobody (in their right mind) claims it to be.

IAL (Philly): Malvern and Haverford are great programs. But Germantown and William Penn Charter? No. Again, Malvern and Hav play each other, max 3x per season (including being the annual odds-on favorite for the championship game before the season's first faceoff).

MAPL (PA-NJ): Seems like 2 teams per year crack the top 50. Better conference than the MIAA? No - like the MIAA goons, you'd be accused of factoring in the "legacy" of past greatness across these schools. In its best years, though, it's actually a passing argument that they might be as good or slightly better than the MIAA. And it's worth noting that in other sports (maybe like the IAC), the MAPL is better than the MIAA, and academics are top notch as well.

Ratings are put together by human beings so of course there is some error, and maybe even bias. But the reality is that *every* MIAA-A team could beat all but the best 2-3 teams in any other league in the country. And the guys putting together the rankings, they know that.

Hopefully you have your therapy dog next to while typing this, You sound triggered and upset. Dont want you in hospital over this.

The rating are done by MD people who only see MD teams most of time. Your reading comprehension has let you down, reread what I wrote . I stand by both sentences . MIAA is overrated, now please get your therapy dog out before answering.

That's a weird way to say, "Oh, I guess I had a bad take." Here's a better take, you don't need a therapy dog when the facts pretty smoothly demonstrate your opinion. By all means, list a stronger HS lax conference, since we're here and you have our attention, and it seemed so very important for you to bounce into a MD HS forum to tell us that the MIAA is overrated.

So which conference, top to bottom, is superior to the MIAA on a semi-regular basis?