Originally Posted by Anonymous
Interesting but confusing. Can’t use a teams record to do rankings. So since teams are mostly playing within conference so we should just try to determine which conferences are best and anoint the teams within those conferences as the best and therefore worthy of NCAA bids. Sorry, I am leaning towards Big 10 not being that good. ACC... yes very good conference so Va Tech is in??

So, because they beat each other and some might not have a favorable record you would assume they are not good. I agree with the point that record is not an indication Wins and Losses is not an accurate way to jerks or rank a team. Theoretically a team could be 0 - 10 with all 10 losses to Top 10 teams. Another team could be 10 - 0 with no games played against Top 20 teams.

Since Hopkins has been discussed I looked at their 2018 season:

Hopkins was 10 - 9 Overall.

Beat # 11 Loyola
Lost # 10 Penn by 1 goal
Lost # 22 Georgetown by 1 goal
Lost # 3 Maryland
Lost # 18 Penn State in OT
Lost # 8 Northwestern by 1 goal
Lost # 5 Stony Brook
Lost # 9 Towson by 1 goal
Lost # 3 Maryland
Lost # 6 Navy

10 games Vs Top 20 teams 6 Vs Top 10 and 3 Vs Top 5 teams...

Five 1 goal losses to Top 20 Teams... 3 of those 1 goal losses to Top 10 Teams...

The Big 10 is brutal, not as bad as the ACC but still very competitive.

Do you really think that all of the teams just all of the sudden became non-competitive? More likely that Michigan, Ohio State and Rutgers are stronger than usual.

Look no further than a program like Stony Brook to see the advantage that you get by having a mediocre schedule. They alway have a great record and get ranked overly high in the polls and when the NCAA Tournament rolls around they lose to a team that plays a much more difficult schedule and in some cases has a worse record (I did not check the records off the teams they lost to) The point is a teams record can not be used because the strength of schedule varies greatly from team to team.

Just looking at 2018. Comparing Maryland and Stony Brook schedules:

Maryland played 13 Top 20 Teams.

Stony Brook played 7 Top 20 Teams.

I didn’t bother to look at top 5 or top 10.

Maryland’s schedule was basically twice (if not more) as difficult as Stony Brooks.

Teams that play a difficult schedule should not be compared to teams that do not play a difficult by looking at the teams record.
Interesting but confusing. Can’t use a teams record to do rankings. So since teams are mostly playing within conference so we should just try to determine which conferences are best and anoint the teams within those conferences as the best and therefore worthy of NCAA bids. Sorry, I am leaning towards Big 10 not being that good. ACC... yes very good conference so Va Tech is in??

So, because they beat each other and some might not have a favorable record you would assume they are not good. I agree with the point that record is not an indication Wins and Losses is not an accurate way to jerks or rank a team. Theoretically a team could be 0 - 10 with all 10 losses to Top 10 teams. Another team could be 10 - 0 with no games played against Top 20 teams.

Since Hopkins has been discussed I looked at their 2018 season:

Hopkins was 10 - 9 Overall.

Beat # 11 Loyola
Lost # 10 Penn by 1 goal
Lost # 22 Georgetown by 1 goal
Lost # 3 Maryland
Lost # 18 Penn State in OT
Lost # 8 Northwestern by 1 goal
Lost # 5 Stony Brook
Lost # 9 Towson by 1 goal
Lost # 3 Maryland
Lost # 6 Navy

10 games Vs Top 20 teams 6 Vs Top 10 and 3 Vs Top 5 teams...

Five 1 goal losses to Top 20 Teams... 3 of those 1 goal losses to Top 10 Teams...

The Big 10 is brutal, not as bad as the ACC but still very competitive.

Do you really think that all of the teams just all of the sudden became non-competitive? More likely that Michigan, Ohio State and Rutgers are stronger than usual.

Look no further than a program like Stony Brook to see the advantage that you get by having a mediocre schedule. They alway have a great record and get ranked overly high in the polls and when the NCAA Tournament rolls around they lose to a team that plays a much more difficult schedule and in some cases has a worse record (I did not check the records off the teams they lost to) The point is a teams record can not be used because the strength of schedule varies greatly from team to team.

Just looking at 2018. Comparing Maryland and Stony Brook schedules:

Maryland played 13 Top 20 Teams.

Stony Brook played 7 Top 20 Teams.

I didn’t bother to look at top 5 or top 10.

Maryland’s schedule was basically twice (if not more) as difficult as Stony Brooks.

Teams that play a difficult schedule should not be compared to teams that do not play a difficult by looking at the teams record.

Valid point for Maryland, however Hopkins has lost to Stony Brook in 2017, 2018, and 2019 the last three full seasons played