Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anyone have any insight as to why Duke has fallen off? Honest question, the program began in 1996, they made their first NCAA Tournament in 1998, They made it to the Final Four in 1999, they won their first ACC regular season championship in 2004, their first ACC Tournament in 2005, they went to the Final Four again in 2006, 2007 and 2008, from 2006 - 2015 they finished the season ranked in the Top 10 every year and made a couple more Final Fours, they ended the season Ranked 11th in 2016. Duke was not Top 20 in 2017, 2018 or 2019 (2020 doesn't count) and they do not look to be very good this year. I do not think there is another program that has fallen off like Duke. Just curious as to why they have dropped off.

One thought would be “did another team steal their thunder/ take their place” but I don’t see it. If Stanford, Vanderbilt, Hopkins or an Ivy other than (Princeton or Penn) was consistently Top 10 or even top 20 I would say maybe they were winning the recruiting battle against Duke. That doesn’t appear to be the case and from what I can tell they still get their fair share of high end recruits. Strange that they have dropped down a notch.