Only time in my lax and sports experience a player is subbing himself out is either due to fatigue or injury. As for subbing "in" that's all on the coach. Now I know of a team at about the 12yr old level (2027s) that had issues this past weekend with coaching. This was due to the head coaches HS team obligations as his team was finishing up their post season play. I told the parent whos son is on the team to remember things started later this season due to the pandemic and going forward it shouldn't be an issue. But it would still be a good practice to contact the coach or directors and mention it as an issue of concern and that you and some of the other parents had discussed it during the tourney. The club should address some of the reasons why it happened. Sometimes there is a disconnect and gap in communication that needs to be addressed. It's not necessarily any parties fault just how these things shake out sometimes. Things that parents see as a big deal for obvious reasons my not be of the biggest concern to the club as they are consistently dealing with many issues. Just my 2 cents coming from a former player, coach, director, and most importantly parent of current players.