Originally Posted by Anonymous
I can't believe people thought it would be different. He has a reputation of coaching some excellent teams. However, those teams are already comprised of the best kids on the grade level, so it makes coaching easy. .

If you'd ever seen JS coach you would know this isn't the case. He works harder, all the time, than all of his players. He picks apart every detail. And if you don't pay attention to those details, yes, you're on the bench.

He also has a reputation for playing 15 kids, with 10 of them getting the lion's share and 5 more never seeing more than a minute or two per game and 5 more after that riding the bench.

See above. He told the kids and the parents this on the first practice. It should be no surprise to anyone.

It's funny how everyone loves to say that their kid plays on the top team, but won't tell you what position or how much. I guess it makes water cooler talk a little better for them.

My child worked harder and learned more in one practice with JS than the entire summer before. So yeah, I could see sticking with him even with little or no playing time. Fortunately my kid isn't in that position - at least not now - but we would consider staying if the situation is reversed just for the practices.

Also, did everyone really think he was going to put his full effort into this team? His daughter plays on this team and he's registered as a 2025 Yellow Jackets coach (girls team). The writing is on the wall. He put his name on as a coach so the whole grade level wouldn't leave after last season's debacle. I wish you all luck and hope it all works out for you, but just be careful what you wish for.

He put his name on it because his daughter is playing for the team. He's been at every practice. He's run every practice. And the kids practice a lot. Whatever his other commitments are, and sure they're sizable, he's doing the right thing by 2025 Orange. By my estimation of his character, I wouldn't expect anything less. If his daughter eventually transitions to girls, 2025 Orange still has 3 additional amazing varsity coaches. Sure, JS will be missed but all the coaches work hard and the tone will already be set. They are excellent coaches in their own right and my kid really likes working for them.

Lastly, lets spend less time worrying about how 2025 Orange is coached. You're where you want to be and hopefully you're happy. Seems like the 2025 Orange parents are happy. I know Im happy, and more importantly, my child is happy. So we can all agree on different strokes for different folks. But there is really no need to talk trash about JS. He's not your kids coach, and by the sound of things, you're probably happy about that. We're happy, you're happy - lets move on and all be happy.