Originally Posted by Anonymous

Quick question i see all these post with holdbacks . What makes a kid a holdback ? If a kid was born in Mid November and the cut off for School is Dec 1st but was held back in first grade and 2 weeks later the rest of the kids start turning the same age as that mid November birthday is he considered a holdback ? What is the cut off date ?

Depends who you talk to. My opinion, unless it is a 6month difference between 2005 / 2006 it will make no difference. There are plenty of holdbacks that play lacrosse that are b plAyers . And 2006 kids that are A players. Holdbacks are an excuse that people use to justify why their child does not play. I played sports my whole life , I was always the youngest in my grade. I was an athlete and always played. Does not make a difference. If a child has it they have it. Anyone that has coached will agree. .

If you want to talk about resumes, i have coached youth lacrosse for 15 years. And I was a holdback growing up, a very long time ago. I am telling you its an unfair advantage. All things equal, the holdback has a HUGE advantage. I don’t see how anyone can possibly disagree with that. It’s complete common sense. Not debatable.

Here’s an example. ML boy plays with ‘23’s. Is he as effective as when playing with ‘24’s? No. He just another average ‘23 Lacrosse player. Case closed.