Their are so many factors to this mess we call high school lacrosse. In no particular order:

1) Politics (always been a problem, going back to the ES games)
2) The travel team money grab. Selling the dream to parents. The argument that you must join or be left behind. That's what got MLB players in trouble with steroids. If you can't beat em, join em.
3) The travel team/ catholic high schools alliance. LIE, nuff said.
4) The domination by older kids at the youth level. Only now do we see the birth dates listed and note kids anywhere from 6 to sometimes 12 months older. I must say a true "A ha" moment. Birth certificates should be used to level the competition in the early grades.
5) Those kids being put together on one club team to dominate a grade for many years. I will get back to this one. I won't mention any club names here. Funny thing is we praised them for playing up, when truthfully they were right where they belonged.
6) Having not made the move pre-kindergarten, the reclassing and PG ing of players. 24 year old college grads is on the horizon.
7) A club team's directors being put in charge of evaluating kids fairly. PU, that one stinks.
8) Putting a majority of their kids on a "prestigious" team like the UA team. Total payback and selling the dream to all those contemplating high schools.
9) And pretty much telling parents- join or club (and our HS) or be left behind.
10) And the vicious cycle continues.

So one must wonder what other 4th grade reptile teams are out there today that will dominate the private HS and UA ranks 7 years from now?