BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,475
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 213 of 268 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 267 268
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just to be clear, people who wear cleats, skates or sneakers aren’t heroes. Except for the guy who wore #40 for the Arizona Cardinals. Heroes wear scrubs, combat boots, bunker gear and shields on their chest.

Being former military and very proud of it, I would add that a hero is generally someone who braves the odds and leads the charge to allow others to follow in their footsteps. A few, but certainly not most, athletes fit this description.
Sure, Ill send it home with her when she is done reaching around me wink

Pretty sure you’re quoting the wrong comment thread….but good job anyways 👍

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If US Lax and just went by birthyear, the whole holdback problem would simply disappear and the playing field would be equal. That's all anybody is really looking for, a level playing field for their children. If your kid needs an extra year of school or to repeat, no problem but he'll still play with his birth year on the club circuit. HS, no problem, grades are mixed anyway on varsity teams.

There is no logical argument anyone can put forth as to why kids shouldn't play with their birth year (or up if they choose) so those defensive parents resort to taunting and calling everyone a snowflake that raises the issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your kid wants a challenge he can always play up, a lot players do that. People respect it. Playing down absolutely builds resentment. You really can't expect a kid to bridge a 2 or 3 year gap at certain ages in the early teens. A lot of kids quit because of this. The kids resent it too. I have seen and heard it. Bad stuff.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your kid wants a challenge he can always play up, a lot players do that. People respect it. Playing down absolutely builds resentment. You really can't expect a kid to bridge a 2 or 3 year gap at certain ages in the early teens. A lot of kids quit because of this. The kids resent it too. I have seen and heard it. Bad stuff.

Never heard a kid resent it. Not sure in 15 years involvement in lacrosse. Kids I coached always just played. Parents on the other hand whines and complained incessantly. The kids never cared, not sure where you are from or the HA your associated with, seems like the kids are more concerned with holdbacks than actually playing. Not a good environment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Never heard a kid resent it. Not sure in 15 years involvement in lacrosse. Kids I coached always just played. Parents on the other hand whines and complained incessantly. The kids never cared, not sure where you are from or the HA your associated with, seems like the kids are more concerned with holdbacks than actually playing. Not a good environment.

Holding back is getting more accepted as its being done more and more across the country. It Doesn’t have stigma it used to. People are seeing the advantage in it for those kids doing it. So, if others are going to take advantage and allowed to do it. Why wouldn’t you for your kid? if you can? It’s clearly advantageous and perhaps Will give the kid more recruiting opportunities? Is it fair? Should rules be changed? It’s becoming a “those who can” … will. Why not?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If US Lax and just went by birthyear, the whole holdback problem would simply disappear and the playing field would be equal. That's all anybody is really looking for, a level playing field for their children. If your kid needs an extra year of school or to repeat, no problem but he'll still play with his birth year on the club circuit. HS, no problem, grades are mixed anyway on varsity teams.

There is no logical argument anyone can put forth as to why kids shouldn't play with their birth year (or up if they choose) so those defensive parents resort to taunting and calling everyone a snowflake that raises the issue.

US Lacrosse supports age based play - https://www.usalacrosse.com/age-eligibility-guidelines
The people that run for profit teams and tournaments have decided it is not in their interest to be age based. It is annoying but generally works itself over time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No problem at all with holding your son back, just have him play with his birth year in youth lacrosse. What's the argument against that?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My older guy is a 2021 and still 17. He is playing for a top division one college program. Had we known that holding back was so common we may have considered it. Probably would not have done it but that is easy to say now that we know the great results he had not holding back. You do what is best for your kid. Holding back has advantages and disadvantages. Clearly many are doing it as my son is by far the youngest of the entering players on his college team. He is also already younger than the 2022 commits. It is the way it is. If your kid not going to hold back or reclass that is probably better for the kid in other ways. You made a great choice not holding back. However never complain about hold backs either. It is not good for your kid to hear any of those complaints from a parent for many reasons. One is you never want to give a built in excuse for not succeeding. Do as you choose to do and don’t complain.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

US Lacrosse supports age based play - https://www.usalacrosse.com/age-eligibility-guidelines
The people that run for profit teams and tournaments have decided it is not in their interest to be age based. It is annoying but generally works itself over time.

The simple solution is to stop playing club ball. Otherwise, it's a pointless argument. Doesn't really affect HS ball though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My older guy is a 2021 and still 17. He is playing for a top division one college program. Had we known that holding back was so common we may have considered it. Probably would not have done it but that is easy to say now that we know the great results he had not holding back. You do what is best for your kid. Holding back has advantages and disadvantages. Clearly many are doing it as my son is by far the youngest of the entering players on his college team. He is also already younger than the 2022 commits. It is the way it is. If your kid not going to hold back or reclass that is probably better for the kid in other ways. You made a great choice not holding back. However never complain about hold backs either. It is not good for your kid to hear any of those complaints from a parent for many reasons. One is you never want to give a built in excuse for not succeeding. Do as you choose to do and don’t complain.

You really had no idea holdbacks was very common? Seriously? How long have you been involved in lacrosse?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You really had no idea holdbacks was very common? Seriously? How long have you been involved in lacrosse?

I think I am going to hold my son back 2 years and then kick up a loud enough stink that they will let him play with the girls. He should dominate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think I am going to hold my son back 2 years and then kick up a loud enough stink that they will let him play with the girls. He should dominate.

Not the point! It’s being done everywhere and question is … does it give kids an advantage and more opportunity to get to the top schools?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not the point! It’s being done everywhere and question is … does it give kids an advantage and more opportunity to get to the top schools?

I could go rob little old ladies at ATMS as well. It would give my kids an advantage because I would be able to pay for the most expensive and best schools in the world. But I don't because I have something called integrity. Google it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I could go rob little old ladies at ATMS as well. It would give my kids an advantage because I would be able to pay for the most expensive and best schools in the world. But I don't because I have something called integrity. Google it.

Dopey response! Robbing little old ladies is illegal. Google illegal! Also, google what lacrosse players are currently being recruited into the top schools. They didn’t do anything illegal by staying back a year! But, they are getting into the best schools! So, do you think this Is this immoral?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dopey response! Robbing little old ladies is illegal. Google illegal! Also, google what lacrosse players are currently being recruited into the top schools. They didn’t do anything illegal by staying back a year! But, they are getting into the best schools! So, do you think this Is this immoral?

Keep making excuses for little johnny who can't make it on his own amongst his peers. Hold him back 10 times until he is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most do not know when their kid is starting kindergarten what is happening in the older lacrosse world. Makes perfect sense. There is no reason to know what is happening in travel lacrosse when enrolling the kid in kindergarten. So he is saying in kindergarten he did not know kids were holdingback for lacrosse. So a 2021 who is still 17 today could easily have started kindergarten a year later as a holdback and be a 2022. The point made is clear.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
holdback means started kindergarten late. Reclassified or reclass means after kindergarten started a new grade which for lacrosse usually happens just before high school but could happen earlier or later.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most do not know when their kid is starting kindergarten what is happening in the older lacrosse world. Makes perfect sense. There is no reason to know what is happening in travel lacrosse when enrolling the kid in kindergarten. So he is saying in kindergarten he did not know kids were holdingback for lacrosse. So a 2021 who is still 17 today could easily have started kindergarten a year later as a holdback and be a 2022. The point made is clear.

Lacrosse families know, meaning people who lacrosse is multi generational. They know how to play the lax game very well. I was told when my kid was in 2nd grade about families who do this. They are thinking way ahead! Lax is there life! Don’t you see those families that get their babies lacrosse stick texting toys? I’ve seen it! Lol

I was told MD starts Kindergarten older or has that option? Does anyone know if this is true ? I know it’s not for lacrosse, but just curious?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I feel bad for all those poor non lacrosse kids who are never going to get into those great schools that the holdbacks get to go to exclusively. Why even bother studying to get good marks or playing sports with the kids you grow up with. Shame on those schools for preaching that anybody can get into the best schools. I think when my kids get home today from their first day of school I am going to break the news to them that I am going to move them back to the grade they just finished because their hard work and 95 average is unfortunately only get them to community college. I wonder how they will take it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lacrosse families know, meaning people who lacrosse is multi generational. They know how to play the lax game very well. I was told when my kid was in 2nd grade about families who do this. They are thinking way ahead! Lax is there life! Don’t you see those families that get their babies lacrosse stick texting toys? I’ve seen it! Lol

I was told MD starts Kindergarten older or has that option? Does anyone know if this is true ? I know it’s not for lacrosse, but just curious?

A 2021 who is 17 would not be a holdback. My daughter is 17, she could have either been a 2021 or a 2022. My choice to have her go 2021.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I feel bad for all those poor non lacrosse kids who are never going to get into those great schools that the holdbacks get to go to exclusively. Why even bother studying to get good marks or playing sports with the kids you grow up with. Shame on those schools for preaching that anybody can get into the best schools. I think when my kids get home today from their first day of school I am going to break the news to them that I am going to move them back to the grade they just finished because their hard work and 95 average is unfortunately only get them to community college. I wonder how they will take it.[/quote

Ummm, this is a lacrosse forum and we are discussing recruiting as far as lacrosse/sports go. Everyone knows academics is the #1 factor! But, it’s true, some Doors do get opened up to schools that may not have been otherwise a remote chance of getting into with a 95. With the sports card at play, Playing high level in a sport can absolutely help get you into a top school, that you would not otherwise have had a chance at! High grades and all! That’s why you see all the craziness around this. Money and grades are not a guarantee, into that dream school. Or, half these people on here would just buy there way in. That’s why you do see the holdback scenario more. Helps with getting grades up, and extra year getting better in the sport!

It’s high stakes, as meaning getting into that “dream school” . It’s just an extra card in your deck in the recruiting process. Academics is obviously the ace.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes. The post says the kid is still 17 graduated in 2021 and playing for a top d1 program. Interesting that the new 2022s are older than this 2021 kid who is still 17. My bet is he will also find some 2023s who are older than him now. It is out of control but at least this kid was one of the few who could have been a legal 2022 but chose to be a a 2021 with a good outcome. The bottom line is everyone will do what they have to do even if it means holding back, reclassify and take a post grad year. In the end getting into the best school possible through lacrosse should be the end game. We don’t like but holding back is still getting kids recruited who could not compete with kids his age. You can’t argue with the results of holding back. It turns an average athlete when playing with kids his age into a d1 athlete.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes. The post says the kid is still 17 graduated in 2021 and playing for a top d1 program. Interesting that the new 2022s are older than this 2021 kid who is still 17. My bet is he will also find some 2023s who are older than him now. It is out of control but at least this kid was one of the few who could have been a legal 2022 but chose to be a a 2021 with a good outcome. The bottom line is everyone will do what they have to do even if it means holding back, reclassify and take a post grad year. In the end getting into the best school possible through lacrosse should be the end game. We don’t like but holding back is still getting kids recruited who could not compete with kids his age. You can’t argue with the results of holding back. It turns an average athlete when playing with kids his age into a d1 athlete.

Guys seriously with the holdback in college silliness. Look at Football and basketball, if the lacrosse players can't hang with the college holdbacks then they don't belong there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guys seriously with the holdback in college silliness. Look at Football and basketball, if the lacrosse players can't hang with the college holdbacks then they don't belong there.

I think everyone agrees with you on that. Obviously if you can’t play against all the kids you do not belong in division one. I think the point people are trying to make is that those that get into division one get there solely based on being older and not being more talented. Clearly holding back turns an average on age athlete into a much better player. Holding back two years turns them into a superstar. I say do it ever is best for your kid and get in the best school possible so long as it is a good fit and you can live with the consequences.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, hit the nail on the head. It’s the path getting to the Div. 1 schools. Not about hanging when you get there. Need the opportunities to get there. It’s about the earlier days like 6/7/8th grade and not getting left behind. A 6/7th grader playing boys who birth year is a 8/9th grader can be a big difference. Not talking about college age guys. Not to mention the other kid not only has size advantage on 7/8 th grade, but an extra 1 to 2 years skill development as well. Who’s getting picked for top club team and varsity in 9/10t? Which leads to better chances to get to D1

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, hit the nail on the head. It’s the path getting to the Div. 1 schools. Not about hanging when you get there. Need the opportunities to get there. It’s about the earlier days like 6/7/8th grade and not getting left behind. A 6/7th grader playing boys who birth year is a 8/9th grader can be a big difference. Not talking about college age guys. Not to mention the other kid not only has size advantage on 7/8 th grade, but an extra 1 to 2 years skill development as well. Who’s getting picked for top club team and varsity in 9/10t? Which leads to better chances to get to D1

By 10th grade you either know where you stand as far as talent. Great 10th graders, regardless of age are going to shine and compete with seniors. Been that way forever. I think the problem is parents who don’t want to see their kids shortcomings blame it all on holdbacks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

By 10th grade you either know where you stand as far as talent. Great 10th graders, regardless of age are going to shine and compete with seniors. Been that way forever. I think the problem is parents who don’t want to see their kids shortcomings blame it all on holdbacks.

Great 10th graders who are actually 12th grade age, Do seem to shine a little more as they had 2 extra years of polishing!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great 10th graders who are actually 12th grade age, Do seem to shine a little more as they had 2 extra years of polishing!

Very few and far in between, very few. Especially in LI publics, there are way less than anyone on here wants to admit. Maybe 1 per team, a big maybe, and the one who is would be a grade ahead. Not two

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very few and far in between, very few. Especially in LI publics, there are way less than anyone on here wants to admit. Maybe 1 per team, a big maybe, and the one who is would be a grade ahead. Not two

We can argue the holdback situation until we are blue in the face. It here and there is nothing US Lacrosse will do about it. That being said, starting your kid late is the best way to help your kid be a stud. He will be a year older in the younger ages, which will make him physically stronger and faster than the other kids. He will then get on that 2nd grade AA team with the best coaches. Then he repeats 6th grade and he is now 2 years older and is on varsity as an 8th or 9th grader. Then he gets recruited to a top D1 school and your dream is fullfilled as he sits the bench,,,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aged based club play, like soccer, basketball, football and hockey (i'm not in the baseball world, so I don't know) IS coming and it is the right thing to do. You will still be able to gain your advantage in the school system, but evalauators will see talent for what it is in the club system and the playing field will be leveled. The gig is up. AMEN. Birth year by '23. From a reliable source involved in the rule making. We'll see how good and big YOUR little holdback Johnny is real soon!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aged based club play, like soccer, basketball, football and hockey (i'm not in the baseball world, so I don't know) IS coming and it is the right thing to do. You will still be able to gain your advantage in the school system, but evalauators will see talent for what it is in the club system and the playing field will be leveled. The gig is up. AMEN. Birth year by '23. From a reliable source involved in the rule making. We'll see how good and big YOUR little holdback Johnny is real soon!

First off, this is a 15-year old argument, it's not changing until people stop playing club. Secondly, who in the world are you replying to? Stop being so angry replying to anonymous posters. Bad look dude.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We can argue the holdback situation until we are blue in the face. It here and there is nothing US Lacrosse will do about it. That being said, starting your kid late is the best way to help your kid be a stud. He will be a year older in the younger ages, which will make him physically stronger and faster than the other kids. He will then get on that 2nd grade AA team with the best coaches. Then he repeats 6th grade and he is now 2 years older and is on varsity as an 8th or 9th grader. Then he gets recruited to a top D1 school and your dream is fullfilled as he sits the bench,,,

No argument, the problem is just not as prevalent as the posters on here make it. There MAY be one kid per HS team, and I truly don't think it's even close to that number. I had two kids who played lacrosse for a very large and very successful HS lacrosse program in Nassau and in all those years, there was one kid who was one year older than his teammates.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We can argue the holdback situation until we are blue in the face. It here and there is nothing US Lacrosse will do about it. That being said, starting your kid late is the best way to help your kid be a stud. He will be a year older in the younger ages, which will make him physically stronger and faster than the other kids. He will then get on that 2nd grade AA team with the best coaches. Then he repeats 6th grade and he is now 2 years older and is on varsity as an 8th or 9th grader. Then he gets recruited to a top D1 school and your dream is fulfilled as he sits the bench,,,

Wait....but if everyone starts doing this then my kid might not be a stud. I will start him 1 year late, then hold back in 6th grade. then hold back again in HS and then transfer to a prep school for a PG year. Now my 22 year old Freshman will be an All American in College!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top player rankings for 2023. Birthdays included.. Out of the top 16 boys only three were born in 2005. Rest in 2004 (meaning they are all 17 years old entering their junior year and some will turn 18 by the time the season starts). And one kid is a 2003 (will be 18 in a month).

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/2023-recruits-il-s-top-50-young-gun-junior-rankings/58405

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Top player rankings for 2023. Birthdays included.. Out of the top 16 boys only three were born in 2005. Rest in 2004 (meaning they are all 17 years old entering their junior year and some will turn 18 by the time the season starts). And one kid is a 2003 (will be 18 in a month).

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/2023-recruits-il-s-top-50-young-gun-junior-rankings/58405[/quote

The reality as to where Lacrosse is going right there

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top player rankings for 2023. Birthdays included.. Out of the top 16 boys only three were born in 2005. Rest in 2004 (meaning they are all 17 years old entering their junior year and some will turn 18 by the time the season starts). And one kid is a 2003 (will be 18 in a month).

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/2023-recruits-il-s-top-50-young-gun-junior-rankings/58405

And the common theme is every kid pretty much plays for a private school. This is not a problem on Long Island. It’s also never going away until club ball is gone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The September through December 04 birthdays don’t bother me. Those kids are on age for their grades in most states. The September 03 is Crazy but this is the new normal. I believe it is only the beginning. This trend will get worse each year. Everyone will be trying to keep up with the Jones.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes I don’t understand it. Majority are reclass. One kid would have been a top recruit last year, but is now a top 5. I guess it’s worth it, but my son said he would never do it because it feels like cheating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And the common theme is every kid pretty much plays for a private school. This is not a problem on Long Island. It’s also never going away until club ball is gone.

The 2003 kid already committed to Princeton and is graduating from HS this year. He’s taking a year off so they are considering him a 23. Probably not a bad decision so he can get more play time once at Princeton instead of being penalized from the Covid delays and 5th year!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The 2003 kid already committed to Princeton and is graduating from HS this year. He’s taking a year off so they are considering him a 23. Probably not a bad decision so he can get more play time once at Princeton instead of being penalized from the Covid delays and 5th year!

Wow! Looks like he knows how to work the system. But, couldn’t do it, if he was not super talented!!. So, good for him! He’s Not breaking any rules. Sounds like he Just figured it out as to how to get the most out of his opportunities.

Like Reply Quote
Page 213 of 268 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 267 268
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard