BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,456
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 186 of 268 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 267 268
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
With all this extra year nonsense, a handful of our top kids are opting for what others would call mid to low-level D1. The larger than normal rosters are being widely viewed as a scarcity of prospects and potential PT at the top programs by some good players and families. Lots of kids who would have normally looked at top, established programs are looking at teams like Utah, UMBC, Mich, St Joes, Bucknell etc. because they feel like their opportunities to play will occur faster. Expect more parity in college lacrosse in the upcoming years and some mid tier teams to surprise.

Picking a college based on anticipated playing time? That is scary....Johnny is will be going to St. Joe's over Bucknell, we anticipate more playing time!

nothing wrong with that. Look at the Mule brothers, one went to Duke and barely plays, the other Lehigh and an instant starter. All things being equal, why not go where you have a better chance to play?

Lehigh is a lot closer in stature to Duke than St. Joes is to Bucknell. Even with that said, if what you are paying for tuition is the same, a Duke degree carries much more weight than Lehigh (sans engineering,maybe)

Lehigh is not close to Duke at all. Good school, but not even close to being in the same conversation. Even if you don't play much. probably better off staying for the degree. And with teams like Duke blowing out other teams, kids like Mule who is third string, might get in a bit. Now I guess it also comes down to how much you love lacrosse. I was shocked to see a freshman at Yale recently left to go to Syracuse next year. Gotta shake my head at that!

Every school has its pluses and minuses. Is a Duke business degree better than an Lehigh? Maybe, but your education is what you make out of it. My point is all things being equal in the players mind in regards to the college experience outside of lacrosse, choosing to go to a school because of a better chance of playing time is not a ridiculous idea. I would hope that coaches and parents have a reasonable idea of their athletes ability and drive and will help steer them to programs where they can be successful in life and lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ILNA(Italy Lacrosse North America) will be forming 2 teams on Long Island: a 7/8 and a 9/10. We will be participating in 2 tournaments: Lake Placid and NELS in Sudbury MA. The cost will be $640 for the two tournaments. Players will receive: helmet, uniform, 2 performance shirts and a polo. We will try to hold 2 practices before each tournament. If players are of Italian descent and are interested in playing, email Joe Baccarella at jbaccarella@italialacrosse.us

what about half italian?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That works.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"what about half italian?"

You can never be made though...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The odds are not at all stacked against public school kids in New York. Are you completely unfamiliar with lacrosse generally?[/quote]

Everything else being equal, do you really think proper age public school kids have the same chance as the prep school kids of any age?[/quote]

In NY especially LI whether you go to public school or private/prep school doesn't matter as much than a competitive travel team who plays in better attended tournaments.. Sure there are schools with more history of happening on having great players but they are also typically big population dense programs also vs smaller schools on LI. Travel programs is the focus, and No I am not a travel program owner doing an infomercial , just a parent like most of you

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
only the good half

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Play or not play these kids should go where they will get the best education. Playing lax is icing on the cake. If they suffered an injury would they be happy and get a great education? That is what is important.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The bottom half.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The odds are not at all stacked against public school kids in New York. Are you completely unfamiliar with lacrosse generally?

Everything else being equal, do you really think proper age public school kids have the same chance as the prep school kids of any age?[/quote]

In NY especially LI whether you go to public school or private/prep school doesn't matter as much than a competitive travel team who plays in better attended tournaments.. Sure there are schools with more history of happening on having great players but they are also typically big population dense programs also vs smaller schools on LI. Travel programs is the focus, and No I am not a travel program owner doing an infomercial , just a parent like most of you[/quote]

Cold Spring Harbor , Manhasset and even Garden City are not "Large HS" yet they are three of the best lacrosse programs on Long Island.

I would agree that on age Long Island kids are at a disadvantage when competing against "holdbacks and double holdbacks"... We still put out plenty of big time recruits but it is a clear advantage to be a year or two older than your competition. If I had the chance to do it all over again I would hold my son back a year before starting kindergarten, possibly reclass in the 8th grade and then have him do a PG year...

Your comment regarding playing for a competitive club team is accurate. If a player can compete on one of the Top 2 or 3 Club Teams on Long Island they will most likely have some very good opportunities at some very good universities. The High School team a player players is not as important as the club team when it comes to recruiting.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The odds are not at all stacked against public school kids in New York. Are you completely unfamiliar with lacrosse generally?

Everything else being equal, do you really think proper age public school kids have the same chance as the prep school kids of any age?

In NY especially LI whether you go to public school or private/prep school doesn't matter as much than a competitive travel team who plays in better attended tournaments.. Sure there are schools with more history of happening on having great players but they are also typically big population dense programs also vs smaller schools on LI. Travel programs is the focus, and No I am not a travel program owner doing an infomercial , just a parent like most of you[/quote]

Cold Spring Harbor , Manhasset and even Garden City are not "Large HS" yet they are three of the best lacrosse programs on Long Island.

I would agree that on age Long Island kids are at a disadvantage when competing against "holdbacks and double holdbacks"... We still put out plenty of big time recruits but it is a clear advantage to be a year or two older than your competition. If I had the chance to do it all over again I would hold my son back a year before starting kindergarten, possibly reclass in the 8th grade and then have him do a PG year...

Your comment regarding playing for a competitive club team is accurate. If a player can compete on one of the Top 2 or 3 Club Teams on Long Island they will most likely have some very good opportunities at some very good universities. The High School team a player players is not as important as the club team when it comes to recruiting.[/quote]

I don't think we really disagree. My "big school" comment was probably just cherry picking some of the schools on the large list and currently being in a position that my son plays on a top travel organization however will have a graduating class of about 150 total......so my point to the person was more to dispute that it is not a comparison on prep school vs. public school here locally. Maybe it was when I was that age but not now. Travel team competitiveness is more important

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everything else being equal, do you really think proper age public school kids have the same chance as the prep school kids of any age?

In NY especially LI whether you go to public school or private/prep school doesn't matter as much than a competitive travel team who plays in better attended tournaments.. Sure there are schools with more history of happening on having great players but they are also typically big population dense programs also vs smaller schools on LI. Travel programs is the focus, and No I am not a travel program owner doing an infomercial , just a parent like most of you

Your comment regarding playing for a competitive club team is accurate. If a player can compete on one of the Top 2 or 3 Club Teams on Long Island they will most likely have some very good opportunities at some very good universities. The High School team a player players is not as important as the club team when it comes to recruiting.[/quote]

I don't think we really disagree. My "big school" comment was probably just cherry picking some of the schools on the large list and currently being in a position that my son plays on a top travel organization however will have a graduating class of about 150 total......so my point to the person was more to dispute that it is not a comparison on prep school vs. public school here locally. Maybe it was when I was that age but not now. Travel team competitiveness is more important[/quote]

The prep school kids have a huge advantage over the Long Island public school kids. What everybody is basically saying, and I agree with, is that the Long Island kids must supplement their public school lacrosse with a club program. However, kids who play for schools like Chaminade and prep schools also play on high-level travel clubs. Those prep school coaches have a history of feeding into most of the Division I programs. That alone is a huge advantage for those private schools over MOST public school kids from Long Island. Add to the mix that those prep schools many times have indoor facilities, much better coaching and much more money put into the program. As a result it is a great advantage to be there over a Long Island public school program. What happened to Garden City the past couple years is a perfect example. Basically those kids did not play travel given that the GC team was basically a town program entered in lower level tournaments. The result was no Division I commits. That Garden City team can probably beat most of the prep school teams throughout the country yet cannot get a division one commit this year and last year only had one. That is why it is clear that public school kids, even from Long Island, have a great achievement being able to make any division college team and especially those who made division one. It is a great achievement to be both the proper age, a public school product and be able to commit to a division one program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your comment regarding playing for a competitive club team is accurate. If a player can compete on one of the Top 2 or 3 Club Teams on Long Island they will most likely have some very good opportunities at some very good universities. The High School team a player players is not as important as the club team when it comes to recruiting.

I don't think we really disagree. My "big school" comment was probably just cherry picking some of the schools on the large list and currently being in a position that my son plays on a top travel organization however will have a graduating class of about 150 total......so my point to the person was more to dispute that it is not a comparison on prep school vs. public school here locally. Maybe it was when I was that age but not now. Travel team competitiveness is more important[/quote]

The prep school kids have a huge advantage over the Long Island public school kids. What everybody is basically saying, and I agree with, is that the Long Island kids must supplement their public school lacrosse with a club program. However, kids who play for schools like Chaminade and prep schools also play on high-level travel clubs. Those prep school coaches have a history of feeding into most of the Division I programs. That alone is a huge advantage for those private schools over MOST public school kids from Long Island. Add to the mix that those prep schools many times have indoor facilities, much better coaching and much more money put into the program. As a result it is a great advantage to be there over a Long Island public school program. What happened to Garden City the past couple years is a perfect example. Basically those kids did not play travel given that the GC team was basically a town program entered in lower level tournaments. The result was no Division I commits. That Garden City team can probably beat most of the prep school teams throughout the country yet cannot get a division one commit this year and last year only had one. That is why it is clear that public school kids, even from Long Island, have a great achievement being able to make any division college team and especially those who made division one. It is a great achievement to be both the proper age, a public school product and be able to commit to a division one program.[/quote]

The only disadvantage I see long Island kids having is that in many other parts of the country it has been more prevalent for kids to be held back, re-classed or do PG year however, it is becoming more common on Long Island. Also, now that recruiting has been pushed back it doesn't hurt a true on age kid as much as when coaches were recruiting 8th and 9th graders.

It doesn't matter how good a player is, if they do not play for a club team that goes to the best tournaments their opportunities will be limited.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Those private school kids have to play club ball because they don’t get on the field at those private schools. Most of those kids are there for the academics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree with some of your statements but in no way can Garden City compete with the teams in the Founders league and the MIAA just too much talent . All you have to do is look at the top schools rosters and see 90% of the team is made up of PREP school kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree with some of your statements but in no way can Garden City compete with the teams in the Founders league and the MIAA just too much talent . All you have to do is look at the top schools rosters and see 90% of the team is made up of PREP school kids

When GC seniors have no D1 commits it is hard to compete with those prep schools. At one time they were able to compete. Being forced to play on the in house travel program hurt the development of the kids. If they all went back to club they would be able to compete again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When GC seniors have no D1 commits it is hard to compete with those prep schools. At one time they were able to compete. Being forced to play on the in house travel program hurt the development of the kids. If they all went back to club they would be able to compete again.

Doesn't the varsity coach his son's Igloo team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does that have to do with anything we are talking about on this topic?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does that have to do with anything we are talking about on this topic?

Maybe he's trying to say the coach's son is not on the in house club team....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The best public schools in New York absolutely CAN compete with Founders League (LOL) and MIAA teams. Teams like Ward Melville and Garden City would dominate the Founders League in most years. I take it you were exposed to lacrosse for the first time as a parent?

Rosters are full of private school kids because that is where the game is played outside of New York. That being true doesn't mean that anyone playing on Long Island is in any way disadvantaged (aside from previously discussed age-related shenanigans).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DOMINATE in Founders and MIAA you have zero clue.... take a top public school team and you have no shot in that league . That is just the way it is because the amount of talent that is played on those teams you can not compare to a public school those are the facts ... AGAIN look at all the top schools rosters

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DOMINATE in Founders and MIAA you have zero clue.... take a top public school team and you have no shot in that league . That is just the way it is because the amount of talent that is played on those teams you can not compare to a public school those are the facts ... AGAIN look at all the top schools rosters

Take into consideration that the rosters of these prep schools are loaded with PG's. I'm sure the great high school programs on LI would match up if they went to grade 13.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are enough 13th graders in LI publics and on the Clubs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The people who come on here to continually pump up GC need to get a clue. They would lose to these Founders league teams by 15+ goals. The current 2021 team would similarly get destroyed by St. Anthony’s, Delbarton, Darien, etc. There is a reason they won’t scrimmage Chaminade which is 1 mile away. GC jumped the shark when they gave the coach free reign with his club team. They had one D1 commit in the 2020 class, none in 2021 and currently 1 in 2022. Time to get a grip GC dads. You are embarrassing yourselves.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Take into consideration that the rosters of these prep schools are loaded with PG's. I'm sure the great high school programs on LI would match up if they went to grade 13.

Not sure about this year or going forward and I do not think you will see these numbers with regard to college commits (no more early recruiting) but I'm pretty sure some recent Ward Melville Teams would most certainly be able to compete with any HS teams... MIAA and Founders included. Please forgive me if I am off by 1 or 2 or I miss any... Pretty sure Ward Melville 2017 team had kids heading to the following schools (some may have opted not to play or transferred but you get the picture)

Cornell - 2
Brown -1
Georgetown - 1
Navy - 1
Army - 1
Harvard - 1
Providence - 1
Stony Brook - 1
Penn State - 2
Hofstra - 1
Maryland - 1
Syracuse - 1
Bryant - 1
North Carolina - 2
Michigan - 1

in addition several DII and DIII players

Pretty Sure GC's Stronger Teams could compete, West Islips teams of yester year, a Massapequa team or 2, maybe Syosset 2015, maybe a Smithtown team, Manhasset , The best SWR team....

Long Island Championship and New York State Championship caliber teams can compete with anyone.

When Long Island Teams have the depth they can compete. Some years even if they have great players they would struggle if they do not have sufficient depth.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have information about the movement of teams in public conferences. Not sure if its Nassau and Suffolk or just Nassau

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The people who come on here to continually pump up GC need to get a clue. They would lose to these Founders league teams by 15+ goals. The current 2021 team would similarly get destroyed by St. Anthony’s, Delbarton, Darien, etc. There is a reason they won’t scrimmage Chaminade which is 1 mile away. GC jumped the shark when they gave the coach free reign with his club team. They had one D1 commit in the 2020 class, none in 2021 and currently 1 in 2022. Time to get a grip GC dads. You are embarrassing yourselves.

Darien is a public school and the Founders League is a weak league.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ward Melville would be by far the best team in the Founders League most years. There's a huge difference between the FL and MIAA, which you'd know if you were at all familiar with lacrosse as anything other than a disgruntled parent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WM the best team ok ,,,,,,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WM the best team ok ,,,,,,

They were the best team in the country back in 2018. Is that so long ago?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The teams at the top of Founders / NE West are stacked. It is an unfair comparison to publics because most have pg's. But the talent up at those schools is very deep and older with the top ones all having 8+ high level d1 recruits. Perhaps not five years ago, I wasn't aware then, but certainly this year and the last two years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gentleman who gives a garbage, as long as your son is able to go to College (Div 1,2,3) get a degree and play some Lacrosse, that's all that should matter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The teams at the top of Founders / NE West are stacked. It is an unfair comparison to publics because most have pg's. But the talent up at those schools is very deep and older with the top ones all having 8+ high level d1 recruits. Perhaps not five years ago, I wasn't aware then, but certainly this year and the last two years.

Teams like Brunswick and Salisbury (neither of them are in the Founders League btw) are often "deeper" in the same way Chaminade and St. Anthony's are. It doesn't mean they're better, though they do tend to be more consistent than smaller publics like GC and Manhasset. If GC is having a bad year or two with recruiting it's more likely than not just a statistical blip.

(I'm in no way a GC booster -- I'm a Catholic school alum from a non-hotbed town, started 4 years D1.)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Teams like Brunswick and Salisbury (neither of them are in the Founders League btw) are often "deeper" in the same way Chaminade and St. Anthony's are. It doesn't mean they're better, though they do tend to be more consistent than smaller publics like GC and Manhasset. If GC is having a bad year or two with recruiting it's more likely than not just a statistical blip.

(I'm in no way a GC booster -- I'm a Catholic school alum from a non-hotbed town, started 4 years D1.)

When you get to 3 bad years in a row it not a blip......it is a trend. Don’t tell the crowd at Leo’s, though. They still think GC is some sort of national powerhouse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So GC will lose the county? Good to know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe GC is more than a blip because people got sick of Daddy Ball. Daddy coaches and his kid and his kid's best friends never come off the field. Even though those may not be the best kids. And when it comes to Daddy Ball there is no development of players. Really kind of sad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe GC is more than a blip because people got sick of Daddy Ball. Daddy coaches and his kid and his kid's best friends never come off the field. Even though those may not be the best kids. And when it comes to Daddy Ball there is no development of players. Really kind of sad.

Just tell everyone how bad your son got smacked by GC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If his son got smacked around by GC one would think the guy would not be claiming GC is terrible because it would make his son’s team even worse than GC. It is more likely the guy is from GC and disagrees with how the kids are developing. Just because someone points out that GC has had 3 bad recruiting year in a row because of”daddy ball” or the in house program hurt the development of the kids does not mean GC beat his son’s team. The truth is that the 2021 GC HS team arguably has no D1 talent. Even if GC is the best HS team in the country and smacked around everyone the fact remains that something went wrong for the 2020, 2021 and 2022s. Will GC try and fix that recruiting problem or keep living off of past success pretending nothing is wrong?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If his son got smacked around by GC one would think the guy would not be claiming GC is terrible because it would make his son’s team even worse than GC. It is more likely the guy is from GC and disagrees with how the kids are developing. Just because someone points out that GC has had 3 bad recruiting year in a row because of”daddy ball” or the in house program hurt the development of the kids does not mean GC beat his son’s team. The truth is that the 2021 GC HS team arguably has no D1 talent. Even if GC is the best HS team in the country and smacked around everyone the fact remains that something went wrong for the 2020, 2021 and 2022s. Will GC try and fix that recruiting problem or keep living off of past success pretending nothing is wrong?

I am confused with this Garden City situation. Does the Garden City Varsity Coach profit off of this "in-house" program? Are players coerced into paying to play for this program? Do Garden City players also play for other club teams?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am confused with this Garden City situation. Does the Garden City Varsity Coach profit off of this "in-house" program? Are players coerced into paying to play for this program? Do Garden City players also play for other club teams?
I am confused as well. What "in house" program are you talking about? Isn't the GC coach somehow connected to Igloo?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the new HS season going to look like for the Spring?

Like Reply Quote
Page 186 of 268 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 267 268
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard