BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,482
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 185 of 269 1 2 183 184 185 186 187 268 269
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Wow. Rough crowd. I agree with poster 100% as I have a Hs soph. Feeling the pain as welll. The NCAA jumped way too fast. Hurts many many more than it helps.

If you're an HS player. But if you're in college, maybe didn't get off the bench Freshman year, played 5-6 games Sophomore year, now you're a Junior and want a couple of seasons. Maybe last year was your senior year, first chance being the top dog, a season cut short. These young men worked incredibly hard to play. They deserve it. When your son gets into college, makes the team, you can have a say for all the HS kids out there coming up behind him. Otherwise, you have no clue.

Having a 2021 who will play D1 next year I do not agree with allowing a 5th year. However, I think about if my guy was already in college and I admit I would I be upset if they did not give a 5th year. I see both sides. It would be frustrating to loose a year. Unfortunately 2020 was a bad year for everyone. The solution created more problems and extended the problems into the future. Had they just left it alone the high school kids would have lost one season and college would have lost a season. We would be back to normal this year. May not be totally fair because losing a year of college is worse but both groups would have lost something special. Now college kids are made whole and the high school kids lost a year of high school and will have over crowded college rosters competing against older players over the next few years. Don't forget this situation left less scholarship money for all involved this year and moving into the future. They should have left everything alone and did nothing. But I see the point in allowing the 5th year. It would have been much better had they increased the scholarship money. Had they done that it would have been easier for all to live with the decision.

Without being disrespectful, because you seem like a decent person, why does ANY college have an obligation to a HS kid? If they don't like it, don't go. There are plenty of options for HS Seniors. Not so many for College Seniors.

I think all colleges have obligations to high school kids who are going to compete in a college sport. Think of all the rules that are in place to protect those in high school such high school GPA that must be maintained, certain classes taken to be eligible to play for a D1 school, and no coach contact until September 1 junior year. Of all the options out there I do not think one of them is to say to a senior in high school who dreams of playing lacrosse "don't go" and find another option because the college seniors, who had three good years and played a third of their last year, need one more season. That gives college seniors ( and all college players on a team last year) four and one third years playing college lax. Allowing a fifth year also hurts all college players, not just incoming freshman, given the mess that was created moving forward with the large and older rosters. Now a problem continues for the next few years for all freshman through super seniors. I know it is awful for everyone. There is no good remedy that everyone would be happy with. Like I said before, had they increased the scholarship money it would have been better for all involved.

You’re assuming the kid played. Not taking into account injury, depth and a slew of other reasons where a college player may have started or saw significant playing time in 5-6 games their whole college career. The vast majority of D-1 players are biding their time to get on the field.

Adding an extra year makes it tougher to get on the field for all years except 5th year seniors.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Part of your homework looking into quality schools and playing is knowing if there is a roster cap enforced by the university. Some of them have caps between 45-50, so it's also up to how good the coach is at managing the situation to bring it back down within a year or two.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many will disagree but the Ivies got it right. You are there for your education. They refused to grant additional eligibility. Although many "scholar athletes" left, the Ivies did not care. In the Ivy League. your education comes first everything else is secondary. Again, many will not agree.

The whole Yale roster dropped out to keep the season, so did Cornell, Brown too. Don't kid yourself.

If my young adult was considering leaving an Ivy in their senior year to play lacrosse I'd say two things:

1) Good luck with those student loans, they're yours to keep
2) Don't think you're coming home to live with Mom and Dad when you can't get a job because that degree from Maryland means nothing compared to Yale, Brown or Cornell.

Regardless of your opinion they did it. Pretty sure not one of their parents said you’re on your own if you take a semester off. I’m sure they are all on here just so impressed with your take!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love that part “without being disrespectful “ part just before being disrespectful. Imagine the roles were reversed and your college son was a 2021 HS player. That’s all he’s saying.

You may be the softest person on here ever! You took that as disrespectful? Toughen up sweetheart, the road through life is tougher than this!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all this extra year nonsense, a handful of our top kids are opting for what others would call mid to low-level D1. The larger than normal rosters are being widely viewed as a scarcity of prospects and potential PT at the top programs by some good players and families. Lots of kids who would have normally looked at top, established programs are looking at teams like Utah, UMBC, Mich, St Joes, Bucknell etc. because they feel like their opportunities to play will occur faster. Expect more parity in college lacrosse in the upcoming years and some mid tier teams to surprise.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all this extra year nonsense, a handful of our top kids are opting for what others would call mid to low-level D1. The larger than normal rosters are being widely viewed as a scarcity of prospects and potential PT at the top programs by some good players and families. Lots of kids who would have normally looked at top, established programs are looking at teams like Utah, UMBC, Mich, St Joes, Bucknell etc. because they feel like their opportunities to play will occur faster. Expect more parity in college lacrosse in the upcoming years and some mid tier teams to surprise.

Picking a college based on anticipated playing time? That is scary....Johnny is will be going to St. Joe's over Bucknell, we anticipate more playing time!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Will everyone stop with this 'parity' nonsense!

Some mid-major teams showed promise a few years ago and it became more of a catch phrase than 'grow the game'. It's phrases like these that are designed to keep the the industry and money flowing. Respect or Honor the game would've done much more for the game. The growth is about money and will always be about money. About travel clubs and directors ripping off parents. About merchandising and sales.

Parity is just the next catch word to try to keep the dream alive, the industry moving and maintaining commentator jobs all while taking money out of your pockets. You think parity exists? Stop kidding yourself. This past year of extra eligibility has created nothing more than 4-6 super teams that will last for the next few decades. Mid-majors will never catch them.

Parity and grow the game have only done one thing. The rich get richer and the politics last longer.

Look at the rosters and the private school origins. It's about the college coaches praising your son in order to get you to meet prospect day dollars, telling you and the immediate family to come up for a private tour, and stay over Sunday night with a player into Monday, but ignoring you all weekend and the visit doesn't happen.

If that hasn't sunk in, try remembering the IL/USL articles that literally mention the 25-26 year old seniors or grad students. Still don't get it? Ok how about this. If your son is a D1 talent, you better take a close look of your family's financial profile. If it's not great, you're out. Because the 2nd tier of recruits is "pay all tuition+university donor" and the 3rd tier is "pay all tuition"...even if that recruit isn't as good as your young public school stud.

This will all hit you like a freight train, just remember to to laugh through the pain when you see a kid from 'Jesuit Money High School' commit to a mid-tier state university. Because a few weeks later, you'll be walking out of the lacrosse fog smiling knowing you finally got out of the system and your kid is going to have an awesome college experience and future with normalcy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many will disagree but the Ivies got it right. You are there for your education. They refused to grant additional eligibility. Although many "scholar athletes" left, the Ivies did not care. In the Ivy League. your education comes first everything else is secondary. Again, many will not agree.

The whole Yale roster dropped out to keep the season, so did Cornell, Brown too. Don't kid yourself.
You just proved his point. I guess reading comprehension was not a required course for you at Suffolk Community College.

Last edited by JesLax1; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If my young adult was considering leaving an Ivy in their senior year to play lacrosse I'd say two things:

1) Good luck with those student loans, they're yours to keep
2) Don't think you're coming home to live with Mom and Dad when you can't get a job because that degree from Maryland means nothing compared to Yale, Brown or Cornell.

Maybe I am wrong but I do not believe too many kids are leaving Ivy League schools. It is my understanding that most are taking a "leave / gap / semester or year off" and will return to school and athletics in the fall. Seems like the smart thing to do considering the current circumstances. I believe there are several Ivy grads who are now enrolled at other universities pursuing their graduate degree and also playing lacrosse.

Why knock Maryland? Maryland is an excellent school, no need to be an A$$.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You just proved his point. I guess reading comprehension was not a required course for you at Suffolk Community College.

So all those kids kept their seasons dude. They will all be back. No room for anyone else. Do you get it? Or are you dense?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You’re kid wasn’t getting in anyway dopey. No room on the Ivy roster for a knuckleheads kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why does everything on this page have to become insults?? Grow up guys....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You’re kid wasn’t getting in anyway dopey. No room on the Ivy roster for a knuckleheads kid.

Also no room on the roster for a straight A+ student-athlete, with aced boards–but not held back–whose family doesn't have the political savvy or the money to make donations over the years.

Oh, and for at least one Ivy...the expectation of doing a standing broad jump at the age of 16 is a minimum of 10 feet. Well, that's the weak excuse that will be used to let the player down easily...but everything else is great with the athlete's profile and the coach loves your son's play. Finally, the coach will seal the decision by saying your 100+ or 4.0+ GPA is only average. Fact!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Also no room on the roster for a straight A+ student-athlete, with aced boards–but not held back–whose family doesn't have the political savvy or the money to make donations over the years.

Oh, and for at least one Ivy...the expectation of doing a standing broad jump at the age of 16 is a minimum of 10 feet. Well, that's the weak excuse that will be used to let the player down easily...but everything else is great with the athlete's profile and the coach loves your son's play. Finally, the coach will seal the decision by saying your 100+ or 4.0+ GPA is only average. Fact!

Oh stop...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Picking a college based on anticipated playing time? That is scary....Johnny is will be going to St. Joe's over Bucknell, we anticipate more playing time!

nothing wrong with that. Look at the Mule brothers, one went to Duke and barely plays, the other Lehigh and an instant starter. All things being equal, why not go where you have a better chance to play?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

nothing wrong with that. Look at the Mule brothers, one went to Duke and barely plays, the other Lehigh and an instant starter. All things being equal, why not go where you have a better chance to play?

Do you think Duke and Lehigh?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you consider Duke and Lehigh equal?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you consider Duke and Lehigh equal?

Absolutely not!! But my oldest of nephew. Choose a school based on play time. He knew he wanted to go to medical school his only requirements for under grad were. Strong Bio department and play time. He knew as well as my brother and his wife that no one gives a garbage where you do your under grad. It’s what the med school degree says. That said. He is doing fantastic and now has residency at Sloan Kettering. Plus he a got a ton of academic money for under grad. And now has less debt.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bucknell plays in the patriot league and is a top 20 program great choice. Plus you get a great education

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bucknell plays in the patriot league and is a top 20 program great choice. Plus you get a great education

As adults why do you spend so much time discussing other peoples children's choices in life?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jealousy and Envy!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh stop...

First hand experienced truth. Deny all you want.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great school but not a top 20 program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bucknell ranked #23 this week only played 1 game. Covid issues. If they win this week vs Leigh will crack the top 20

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bucknell ranked #23 this week only played 1 game. Covid issues. If they win this week vs Leigh will crack the top 20

They are a Program that has teams that are ranked in the Top 20 from time to time, they are not a one of the Top 20 Programs... If Bucknell were an overall good fit for one of my kids I would be very proud if they had the opportunity to attend.

Every kid is different, every school / program is different. Lacrosse is a great hammerhead that helps to get our children into schools that they would otherwise not gain acceptance at.

For some reason, people on this site want to have everyone believe that their choice is the best choice (it's not, it's your choice).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nassau and Suffolk tryouts are up for the LI Lax Showcase and Regional Championship.

https://www.lilaxshowcase.com/

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there no more Parochial section?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guess it is Independent now...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You go to Bucknell for the academics......not lacrosse. If you can use lacrosse to get your kid in when he otherwise wouldn't have a prayer, then you are playing the game correctly. But stop with the ranking nonsense.

P.S. Bucknell coach also happens to be a major donk so buyer beware.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Those Carey D-1 lax players must not be on the football team!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Those Carey D-1 lax players must not be on the football team!

SMH amazing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there no more Parochial section?
No. Says in questions asked section. Only public high schools

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
come on now. there have been maybe 5 or so D1, or any division for that matter, lacrosse players who can broad jump 10 feet or 120 inches. foolish comment.
Interestingly, that brings up the question as to why do the high end lax camps/events etc hold a combine as part of the camp? I would think it would be great information for the college coaches to analyze.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MIAA finally underway this week. Nice to be able to watch some quality hs lacrosse again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]One never knows the truth so I did a little research because this topic is important for many reasons and one is NOT to bash Garden City. Numbers are numbers. It is true that lacrosse is spreading across long Island. As it appears for the Long Island Class of 2021 the D1 commits are spread out. Yes some surprise High schools have multiple D1 commits. Most are great academic and/or lacrosse colleges. Here is the list of high schools from Long Island with multiple players going on to play division 1 lacrosse for the class of 2021 (in alphabetical order and split Nassau/Suffolk):

MULTIPLE D1 COMMITS FOR THE CLASS OF 2021

NASSAU

Carey

Carle Place

Chaminade

Farmingdale

Kellenberg

Locust Valley

Manhasset

North Shore

Southside

Syosset

SUFFOLK

Bay Shore

Comsewogue

Harborfields

Huntington

Longwood

Mount Sinai

Shoreham- Wading River

Smithtown East

Smithtown West

St. Anthony's

West Hampton Beach

Feel free to correct if there is an error.

Half of them will transfer in the first two years when they are my playing. A lot go to D2, that’s how the rope D2 schools recruit sometimes, by getting D1 transfers.

What is your point?

There is no point. There is no way of knowing if half or any will transfer. The bottom line is that people have to appreciate ANY 2021 who was able to make a division one program especially those that are the proper age and even more so any kid from a public school. The odds are stacked against those kids. No reason to assume half will transfer to a division two or three program. Congratulations to all the 2021 young men who will play lacrosse for any college.

The odds are not at all stacked against public school kids in New York. Are you completely unfamiliar with lacrosse generally?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]One never knows the truth so I did a little research because this topic is important for many reasons and one is NOT to bash Garden City. Numbers are numbers. It is true that lacrosse is spreading across long Island. As it appears for the Long Island Class of 2021 the D1 commits are spread out. Yes some surprise High schools have multiple D1 commits. Most are great academic and/or lacrosse colleges. Here is the list of high schools from Long Island with multiple players going on to play division 1 lacrosse for the class of 2021 (in alphabetical order and split Nassau/Suffolk):

MULTIPLE D1 COMMITS FOR THE CLASS OF 2021

NASSAU

Carey

Carle Place

Chaminade

Farmingdale

Kellenberg

Locust Valley

Manhasset

North Shore

Southside

Syosset

SUFFOLK

Bay Shore

Comsewogue

Harborfields

Huntington

Longwood

Mount Sinai

Shoreham- Wading River

Smithtown East

Smithtown West

St. Anthony's

West Hampton Beach

Feel free to correct if there is an error.

Half of them will transfer in the first two years when they are my playing. A lot go to D2, that’s how the rope D2 schools recruit sometimes, by getting D1 transfers.

What is your point?

There is no point. There is no way of knowing if half or any will transfer. The bottom line is that people have to appreciate ANY 2021 who was able to make a division one program especially those that are the proper age and even more so any kid from a public school. The odds are stacked against those kids. No reason to assume half will transfer to a division two or three program. Congratulations to all the 2021 young men who will play lacrosse for any college.

The odds are not at all stacked against public school kids in New York. Are you completely unfamiliar with lacrosse generally?

Everything else being equal, do you really think proper age public school kids have the same chance as the prep school kids of any age?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lehigh is a lot closer in stature to Duke than St. Joes is to Bucknell. Even with that said, if what you are paying for tuition is the same, a Duke degree carries much more weight than Lehigh (sans engineering,maybe)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is no point. There is no way of knowing if half or any will transfer. The bottom line is that people have to appreciate ANY 2021 who was able to make a division one program especially those that are the proper age and even more so any kid from a public school. The odds are stacked against those kids. No reason to assume half will transfer to a division two or three program. Congratulations to all the 2021 young men who will play lacrosse for any college.[/quote]

The odds are not at all stacked against public school kids in New York. Are you completely unfamiliar with lacrosse generally?[/quote]

Everything else being equal, do you really think proper age public school kids have the same chance as the prep school kids of any age?[/quote]

Probably not, lax is now for families that have a lot of disposable income. Enough extra cash to send their kids to prep schools, too reclass once or twice, line director's pockets, private lessions etc.
It is terrible IMHO.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lehigh is a lot closer in stature to Duke than St. Joes is to Bucknell. Even with that said, if what you are paying for tuition is the same, a Duke degree carries much more weight than Lehigh (sans engineering,maybe)

Lehigh is not close to Duke at all. Good school, but not even close to being in the same conversation. Even if you don't play much. probably better off staying for the degree. And with teams like Duke blowing out other teams, kids like Mule who is third string, might get in a bit. Now I guess it also comes down to how much you love lacrosse. I was shocked to see a freshman at Yale recently left to go to Syracuse next year. Gotta shake my head at that!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ILNA(Italy Lacrosse North America) will be forming 2 teams on Long Island: a 7/8 and a 9/10. We will be participating in 2 tournaments: Lake Placid and NELS in Sudbury MA. The cost will be $640 for the two tournaments. Players will receive: helmet, uniform, 2 performance shirts and a polo. We will try to hold 2 practices before each tournament. If players are of Italian descent and are interested in playing, email Joe Baccarella at jbaccarella@italialacrosse.us

Like Reply Quote
Page 185 of 269 1 2 183 184 185 186 187 268 269
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard