BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,778
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 31 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even look at the UA tryouts next week. See the "coaches?" Yup, Chanenechuk, Breres, and Brennan. (Express, 91, and Outlaws). The travel teams have even infiltrated this. Now I'm sure our kids will get a fair "evaluation." LOL!!!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The topic of the post is HS coaches having travel teams. We were in the situation this year. Every starter played for the travel team (which is a national operation) and although it is a public school kids who are out of the area are recruited to play, and are rewarded as freshmen with varsity spots and play time. Upperclassmen who played on other well-regarded club teams with college commitments sat on the sidelines while club kids, including freshmen played. It hurt team morale, even among kids on the coach's travel team, who wanted to win, and wanted the best players to play. Players and parents at other schools even commented about it and it was mentioned by an opposing team's head coach at his team banquet. At the end of the day the favoritism and tunnel vision of the coach hurt the team's prospects for post season. Kids who don't play for his club won't ever be eligible for state recognition because they are seldom on the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If the NCAA prohibited recruiting a kid (verbal commitments) until 11th grade a lot of this nonsense would stop. Parents (trying to compete with each other) wouldn't be compelled to put their kid on a 3rd grade travel team, nor would they be in a speed school before they enter elementary school. There is plenty of blame to go around, but there is no incentive to stop it. The parents are paying, the coaches are collecting and the colleges are competing for kids before they even have hair on their legs. What a mess.

There were crazy parents, "A" and "B" teams, travel teams, manipulative [lacrosse] kissing parents, daddy coaches, good coaches, bad coaches, and self serving parents controlling youth programs long before the first 9th or 10th grader verbally committed to Virginia, Hopkins, UNC, Penn or Cornell.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ's want you to commit in 8th grade if you can. So to do that you need to be playing in Kindergarten. Used to be you joined a club team in middle school or later for a year a two to play summers and see some coaches.

Clubs are the big winners. You cant tell me any college coach wants to lock up a 8th or 9th grader with 4 or 5 years of uncertainty ahead of them.

Lacrosse is the only sport with a truly toxic sideline because of the race to verbally commit. IMO it has wrecked a GREAT team game

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your all crazy, every sport that offers money has early recruiting...The only difference is that other sports continue to recruit kids that have already verballed, thus making the verbal meaningless. That is exactly what will happen in lax over time.

If you don't like the club scene, don't try out and play PAL. Stop telling us the world of pain clubs have caused and don't tell me what a mistake I made by having my 9th grader commit verbally.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is the wrong choice for me. open your mind and think--different strokes for different folks--not exactly the black plague.

My kid plays 2 different sport, because he loves to play, and yes, he also gets great grades. Football in football season, lax is pretty much all year round.

Having a great time with club teamates--if I am willing to spend the time and $, why do you care?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love it early recruiting. listen guys my son played in college and in the pro ranks for two years. in which he.lived at home while playing "pro." couldn't afford to take his girlfriend out. so he gave it up and got a real job. stop w the early recruiting. let me know when lax players Start making millions

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love it early recruiting. listen guys my son played in college and in the pro ranks for two years. in which he.lived at home while playing "pro." couldn't afford to take his girlfriend out. so he gave it up and got a real job. stop w the early recruiting. let me know when lax players Start making millions

Lots of them do, but it's on Wall St>

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ's want you to commit in 8th grade if you can. So to do that you need to be playing in Kindergarten. Used to be you joined a club team in middle school or later for a year a two to play summers and see some coaches.

Clubs are the big winners. You cant tell me any college coach wants to lock up a 8th or 9th grader with 4 or 5 years of uncertainty ahead of them.

Lacrosse is the only sport with a truly toxic sideline because of the race to verbally commit. IMO it has wrecked a GREAT team game

They scout young kids in every sport.

"Lacrosse is the only sport with a toxic sideline" - I don't think so.

I can tell you that college coaches want to lock up (some) 9th graders because they do it. If they didn't want to do it they would not do it. In any event, it is a small number of 9th graders who commit. Just about all of the early commits at Top 20 programs were recruited by multiple schools. The top programs fight for the same players.

The top college coaches at the top college programs identify the top players and they absolutely want to commit the top players.

The problem this sport has is that many of the parents are used to getting their way. Many of the parents can't understand why another child is being recruited by Duke and their kid is not. Many of the parents can not accurately asses their kids ability. They parade their kid around to every camp, clinic, showcase and tournament and try to sell their kid to a college coach. They send countless letters and emails boasting of their kids abilities on the field and in the classroom. They send highlight films. They ask the club director and or HS coach to call the college coaches. They send their kid to go talk to the coach after a camp or clinic.

It is part of the college coaches job to identify and recruit talent. If a college coach likes what they see when they watch a kid play they will reach out and initiate contact. The coach will tell you if they want you to be a part of their program. Have you ever been to a recruiting clinic or camp at a top school? Coaches make it their business to open a dialog with the players they are interested in. Don't get me wrong, the coaches want the player to be interested in the school as well, they do not want to waste their time on a player who has no interest in their school.

Just because the parents run around trying to get a top program to commit their kid does not mean the coach will do it. There are a lot of parents who want their kid to commit to a top school. However there are only a few spots to be had. The coaches drive the process. The coaches commit the players they want. If they do not get the players they want maybe then they will settle for someone else.

After the dust settles and the top 9th and 10th graders commit then coaches will look to fill any remaining spots if they did not get the players they wanted.

If you are not interested in one of the schools that "actively recruits" then I guess all of the other stuff works. I guess you can market a player to those schools. I do not think you can market a player to Maryland or North Carolina. I believe the top programs go after and recruit the players that they want.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to any school game, the club parents are in one corner and everyone else is together. You don't see that in any other sport. Everyone is so concerned with this commiting stuff that only affects a few yet it infects entire teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your all crazy, every sport that offers money has early recruiting...The only difference is that other sports continue to recruit kids that have already verballed, thus making the verbal meaningless. That is exactly what will happen in lax over time.

If you don't like the club scene, don't try out and play PAL. Stop telling us the world of pain clubs have caused and don't tell me what a mistake I made by having my 9th grader commit verbally.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is the wrong choice for me. open your mind and think--different strokes for different folks--not exactly the black plague.

My kid plays 2 different sport, because he loves to play, and yes, he also gets great grades. Football in football season, lax is pretty much all year round.

Having a great time with club teamates--if I am willing to spend the time and $, why do you care?

What he said. Excellent post. I agree.

Thank you.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is a good point about families using these out of state tourneys as vacations

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to any school game, the club parents are in one corner and everyone else is together. You don't see that in any other sport. Everyone is so concerned with this commiting stuff that only affects a few yet it infects entire teams.

Do any of the top lacrosse players on Long Island not play club lacrosse? How many kids are there who are playing varsity lacrosse on Long Island that do not play club lacrosse? At least at the stronger programs just about every kid plays club ball as well as HS lacrosse.

"Everyone is so concerned with this commiting stuff that only affects a few yet it infects entire teams." ??

If it only affects a few why does it infect the entire team? Is it because there are a lot of bitter, jealous, hateful people out there?

On Long Island, Lacrosse is different than every other sport in that just about all of the top players get recruited. The Top College Programs come to Long Island and recruit the Top Talent.

When you start seeing football coaches from Alabama, Texas, Ohio State and Oregon recruiting the top 50 or so kids off Long Island you will see just how crazy, hateful, jealous and bitter the football parents become.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
In response to those with negative comments about summer travel lacrosse I will add my opinion from personal experience.

Club travel participation is a choice made by families that have a love of the game and a player who has some talent. There are many clubs with many different talent levels with many different summer schedules to fit any families preference.
If your choice is to not participate that's fine but a general statement damning those that do is ridiculous.
Many families see the summer travel tournaments as a family experience and an opportunity to travel to several states and often combine vacations and trips to theme parks as part of the excursions.
If a player excels and is seen by college coaches and recruited as a result of playing club ball then that's great and it does happen...often. If college recruiting does not happen then so what, the experiences shared and lessons learned will last a lifetime.
Remember it's a families personal preference to participate in travel lax and if managed properly can be a great few years for the whole family.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
In response to those with negative comments about summer travel lacrosse I will add my opinion from personal experience.

Club travel participation is a choice made by families that have a love of the game and a player who has some talent. There are many clubs with many different talent levels with many different summer schedules to fit any families preference.
If your choice is to not participate that's fine but a general statement damning those that do is ridiculous.
Many families see the summer travel tournaments as a family experience and an opportunity to travel to several states and often combine vacations and trips to theme parks as part of the excursions.
If a player excels and is seen by college coaches and recruited as a result of playing club ball then that's great and it does happen...often. If college recruiting does not happen then so what, the experiences shared and lessons learned will last a lifetime.
Remember it's a families personal preference to participate in travel lax and if managed properly can be a great few years for the whole family.

Great post. I would add that the decision to support your child's interest in playing more of anything in the end guarantees nothing. This goes for all sports. Statistically speaking, the numbers are not in ones favor for scholarships and success at the next level. Enjoy your time as a family, in the cars to practices and tournaments where you can mold and raise your kids to become outstanding adults.

Never forget youth sports is a business that gets bigger every day. The only guaranteed scholarships are going to the kids of the guys running them thanks to all of us participating in them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like a guilty conscience to me. Worrying did your child make an informed decision in 9th grade. Congrats you get to brag around the water cooler and on the summer circuit. Time will tell if you made the right choice. And speaking of "why do you care", why do you? Last I checked this board was anonymous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Back to the topic.

Yes, it's a conflict of interest if there is pressure to play or if a player is punished for not playing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
listen to this guy.....back to the topic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like a guilty conscience to me. Worrying did your child make an informed decision in 9th grade. Congrats you get to brag around the water cooler and on the summer circuit. Time will tell if you made the right choice. And speaking of "why do you care", why do you? Last I checked this board was anonymous.

I don't want to hear the money argument for a moment, but I agree that money, along with time, are factors for not playing on a travel team. That aside, what's the downside if your child is on a team that practices a lot, the coaching is top notch, and your kid is playing with better players. If your kid loves it and doesn't see practice as a chore, but likes it, there is no downside. He/she will become a better player in every aspect.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, well well, good morning to you.

Nice comment to my post, not going to take the bait this morning and call you names, but perhaps later after my meetings...That said, I will share a few thoughts that might be helpful to others below.

For you specifically, I will say, no to the guilt part but yes, I have a little angst that my kid only got 50% scholarship for lax, we were praying for 75%. But on the bright side, if his grades stay where they are and he scores 1800 on sat, he will get 25% more for merit...

For all the other people thinking my poor 9th grade kid was forced to grow up too quickly and choose his college (top academic school), perhaps the economics of school haven't been properly analyzed in your mind? Do you guys all know what school costs? Unless you are staying in your State, you are looking at between $50k and $60k per year.

Of the roughly 65 D1 lax programs, about half offer little to no athletic money and little to no merit money. That also applies to some great D3 institutions like Amherst and Williams...

If you don't make too much money (in this one area of life not making money actually makes you money) the need based aid can help tremendously and is much better than lax money because you are likely to get the same award all four years.

However, if you are reading this board you are probably not going to qualify for need based aid, which means either, you can pay the $50k per year without concern (great for you!) or you and your kid are borrowing a ton of $.

So when someone says I made my kid grow up too quickly and choose a college too young, I say at least this way he has a much better chance of graduating without huge $$$ in debt hanging over his head or mine. Yes, I know the verbal is a verbal and anything can happen...

Would JH have been a better fit than Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State or syracuse or virginia? Should we have waited for the IVY or Duke? Ivy and Duke are not giving me any money otherwise we would have waited.

Who knows how this will all turnout, but if my kid stays healthy and works hard and graduates with little to no debt, I really don't care which one of the above...He doesn't know what he wants to do for a living but how many people knew what they wanted to do for a living when they were 18? How many people changed majors after getting experience in something that excited them? Isn't that what you are supposed to do in college? I tell mine, find something you are passionate about and you will be successful...

If you were all being 100% honest, you would be thrilled to have your kid attend anyone of the schools mentioned above.

So, no, I don't have guilt over this particular decision. I have made more than my share of mistakes, but after much careful thought and consideration, I really can't see any downside.

Perhaps the person that thinks I feel or should guilt can share with me the reason why I should be feeling guilty?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You sound like another jealous bitter person who sits around waiting for others to fail or to have misfortune. Good thing you have an anonymous board to post on because I am sure you would not display your ugly sentiment out in the open.

If a child is offered the opportunity to commit to UNC, Hopkins, Virginia, Princeton, Loyola, Penn, Maryland, Northwestern, Stanford or Georgetown you believe that they should not commit to any of these schools. Until when? When do you believe the perfect time to commit is? Just how much information do you need in order to make an informed decision?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, well well, good morning to you.

Nice comment to my post, not going to take the bait this morning and call you names, but perhaps later after my meetings...That said, I will share a few thoughts that might be helpful to others below.

For you specifically, I will say, no to the guilt part but yes, I have a little angst that my kid only got 50% scholarship for lax, we were praying for 75%. But on the bright side, if his grades stay where they are and he scores 1800 on sat, he will get 25% more for merit...

For all the other people thinking my poor 9th grade kid was forced to grow up too quickly and choose his college (top academic school), perhaps the economics of school haven't been properly analyzed in your mind? Do you guys all know what school costs? Unless you are staying in your State, you are looking at between $50k and $60k per year.

Of the roughly 65 D1 lax programs, about half offer little to no athletic money and little to no merit money. That also applies to some great D3 institutions like Amherst and Williams...

If you don't make too much money (in this one area of life not making money actually makes you money) the need based aid can help tremendously and is much better than lax money because you are likely to get the same award all four years.

However, if you are reading this board you are probably not going to qualify for need based aid, which means either, you can pay the $50k per year without concern (great for you!) or you and your kid are borrowing a ton of $.

So when someone says I made my kid grow up too quickly and choose a college too young, I say at least this way he has a much better chance of graduating without huge $$$ in debt hanging over his head or mine. Yes, I know the verbal is a verbal and anything can happen...

Would JH have been a better fit than Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State or syracuse or virginia? Should we have waited for the IVY or Duke? Ivy and Duke are not giving me any money otherwise we would have waited.

Who knows how this will all turnout, but if my kid stays healthy and works hard and graduates with little to no debt, I really don't care which one of the above...He doesn't know what he wants to do for a living but how many people knew what they wanted to do for a living when they were 18? How many people changed majors after getting experience in something that excited them? Isn't that what you are supposed to do in college? I tell mine, find something you are passionate about and you will be successful...

If you were all being 100% honest, you would be thrilled to have your kid attend anyone of the schools mentioned above.

So, no, I don't have guilt over this particular decision. I have made more than my share of mistakes, but after much careful thought and consideration, I really can't see any downside.

Perhaps the person that thinks I feel or should guilt can share with me the reason why I should be feeling guilty?

Excellent post. I am very happy for you and your son. All the best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid got 50% scholarship to go to any D1 school you should happy as a pig in sh*t. You kid must also be one of the best players on the east coast because 50 to 75% scholarships in lax don't really come around much considering each team only gets 13 full's per year. To give 50% to a 9th grader is unheard of unless he is they next Miles Thompson. Your kid is either a stud or your post is BS. Carry on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop

Great post. I would add that the decision to support your child's interest in playing more of anything in the end guarantees nothing. This goes for all sports. Statistically speaking, the numbers are not in ones favor for scholarships and success at the next level. Enjoy your time as a family, in the cars to practices and tournaments where you can mold and raise your kids to become outstanding adults.

Never forget youth sports is a business that gets bigger every day. The only guaranteed scholarships are going to the kids of the guys running them thanks to all of us participating in them.

This all seems OK to me. The American way, if you want to participate, go ahead, if you don't then good luck to you as well. Freedom of choice. Should the coaches have to sit on their hands? I don't think so. Is there a conflict? Probably. So what, get over it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roster of 50, 13 scholarship spots, 9th grade

Say the top 35 players get something, then the bottom 15 are walk ons. That would mean a 37% scholarship offer if all 35 got the same amount.

Say top 10 players get a 50% offer, then #11-35 would get a 33% offer.

You can see how the math works If the school is fully funding their available scholarships which some don't

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roster of 50, 13 scholarship spots, 9th grade

Say the top 35 players get something, then the bottom 15 are walk ons. That would mean a 37% scholarship offer if all 35 got the same amount.

Say top 10 players get a 50% offer, then #11-35 would get a 33% offer.

You can see how the math works If the school is fully funding their available scholarships which some don't

Interesting....but what does that have to do with whether HS coaches are conflicted by running summer travel programs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid got 50% scholarship to go to any D1 school you should happy as a pig in sh*t. You kid must also be one of the best players on the east coast because 50 to 75% scholarships in lax don't really come around much considering each team only gets 13 full's per year. To give 50% to a 9th grader is unheard of unless he is they next Miles Thompson. Your kid is either a stud or your post is BS. Carry on.

I vote for BS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You sound like another jealous bitter person who sits around waiting for others to fail or to have misfortune. Good thing you have an anonymous board to post on because I am sure you would not display your ugly sentiment out in the open.

If a child is offered the opportunity to commit to UNC, Hopkins, Virginia, Princeton, Loyola, Penn, Maryland, Northwestern, Stanford or Georgetown you believe that they should not commit to any of these schools. Until when? When do you believe the perfect time to commit is? Just how much information do you need in order to make an informed decision?

Another moron misses the point. If my son received a 100% scholarship offer in 9th grade, does that make this good for everyone else or just my son? I am making the larger point that it is bad for everyone. It forces parents to buy into this travel team dream from the time they leave 1st grade. Who can afford to wait? Not get on an A team early and you risk never cracking the A team (seen plenty of Express/91 politics to last a lifetime). It pushes everything up, as D1 slots are taken early by players that may have not even played a varsity game yet. I say the system is broken and we have individuals who want to tell us how great it is for "Little Johnny." Kudos to you and Johnny, but to [lacrosse] with Little Bobby, Billy and Jake (there seem to be a lot of them those days) who are auditioning for travel and college coaches before they even have their first kiss let alone their first girlfriend. Something very wrong here. By the way, most college coaches agree with me. They abhor most travel programs and will tell you they hate recruiting 9th graders. But then they cop out and say, we have to do it in this current competitive environment and rules.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another moron misses the point. If my son received a 100% scholarship offer in 9th grade, does that make this good for everyone else or just my son? I am making the larger point that it is bad for everyone. It forces parents to buy into this travel team dream from the time they leave 1st grade. Who can afford to wait? Not get on an A team early and you risk never cracking the A team (seen plenty of Express/91 politics to last a lifetime). It pushes everything up, as D1 slots are taken early by players that may have not even played a varsity game yet. I say the system is broken and we have individuals who want to tell us how great it is for "Little Johnny." Kudos to you and Johnny, but to [lacrosse] with Little Bobby, Billy and Jake (there seem to be a lot of them those days) who are auditioning for travel and college coaches before they even have their first kiss let alone their first girlfriend. Something very wrong here. By the way, most college coaches agree with me. They abhor most travel programs and will tell you they hate recruiting 9th graders. But then they cop out and say, we have to do it in this current competitive environment and rules.

Why is it bad for everyone?

Nobody is forced into anything.

My Town Has “A” & “B” Teams at a very young age and the Town Politics are just as bad if not worse than that of the Club Teams.

Who cares if they haven’t played a varsity game yet? Obviously the College Coaches don’t care. The Majority of HS lacrosse games are not competitive. College coaches will be all over the 2017 and 2018 club games this summer. You might even see a few casually observing the Top 2019 games.

What difference does it make if they recruit early or late? They are going to recruit the same kids. If the recruiting timeline was pushed back would that open up more roster spots? No, it would not. Little Billy, Bobby and Jake would be in the same situation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why is it bad for everyone?

Nobody is forced into anything.

My Town Has “A” & “B” Teams at a very young age and the Town Politics are just as bad if not worse than that of the Club Teams.

Who cares if they haven’t played a varsity game yet? Obviously the College Coaches don’t care. The Majority of HS lacrosse games are not competitive. College coaches will be all over the 2017 and 2018 club games this summer. You might even see a few casually observing the Top 2019 games.

What difference does it make if they recruit early or late? They are going to recruit the same kids. If the recruiting timeline was pushed back would that open up more roster spots? No, it would not. Little Billy, Bobby and Jake would be in the same situation.

I don't think that really is the case. At my son's HS the standout Sr. attack man is going to a D3 school, because that was his only offer. He was far and away better than the top 20 "ranked" attack man who is a junior ( with poor grades and meh SAts) going to a top 10 school. In a normal world the senior, who has excellent grades and SATs would be going to some D1, and 10 years ago would have been considered a top prospect. D3 schools are cleaning up!

This is not sour grapes on my part, my 2017 is committed and had multiple offers, which is crazy, but we believe he made a good choice. Several other 2017s we know with commitments I expect to see switch schools before all is said and done.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI Showcase tryouts are a joke. Did players forget to register? #'s look low compared to pass years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I vote for BS

Another vote for BS ... 1800 at "top school" for academic merit HAHAHAHA ... So we have established that the scholarship amount is bogus and the "top school" is bogus and this poster is a fraud. No real problem with it, where's the harm EXCEPT ... Well-meaning parents who read this garbage end up with unrealistic expectations for their kids and the way scholarships/recruiting actually happens. So unless Mr/Mrs bragger wants to put a name to the school and more details to substantiate what sounds like a fairly tale, he/she should refrain from spewing such nonsense for the sake of the other kids and families ...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I tell you one other reason it might suck for Billy, Bobby or Jake. You parents that decided to hold your son back a year. So not only do we need our sons to mature quicker than they might have as they are competing for spots in 9th and 10th grade against kids that may be 9-10 months older. You know the kid, twice the size of everyone else in 8th grade with hair on his legs. If colleges recruited 11th and 12th graders the field would be leveled. It is amazing how much more we care as parents than our parents did. Will be interesting to see with all of this attention bestowed upon them, if our kids do the opposite with their own. With all the pressure they felt growing up, maybe they are the ones that restore sanity to this situation. Allowing their sons and daughters to just go outside and "play" and have a normal childhood without trying to chase their parent's dream.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1800 is not even getting into Delaware, let alone top academic. If you are getting 25% merit and hoping for an 1800 then the average SAT score at this top academic is about 1400-1500 out of 2400.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in reference to post # 118910, I also call B.S. I have a daughter that was offered 50% to a low D1 and she couldn't sign on the line fast enough, and that with 38 more schools, or 456 more full scholarships available. The poster might get away with that crap with his buddies at the water cooler, but here he sounds like a tool

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All the big schools we are looking at only want the 2 part SAT so I call BS as well. Go to collegeboard to see the average SAT scores your kid isn't even close

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, sounds like a bunch of jealous parents to me. I say congratulations to the kid and his family.

The rest of you need to get a grip and focus on your own kid and his/her deal...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, sounds like a bunch of jealous parents to me. I say congratulations to the kid and his family.

The rest of you need to get a grip and focus on your own kid and his/her deal...

Exactly!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
strange 1800 doesn't get in to Delaware? I scored 1120 when 1600 was highest you could score. I played football there though. I can't see the entrance policies changing that much in twenty years

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like a selfish parent. No, there aren't any of those out there. LOL They system is broken, regardless of whether it's good for a select few. You'll see. We will all have the answer in 20 years. Does the madness continue or is some level of common sense brought back you youth lacrosse?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In regards to Delaware admissions, OOS kids have a higher bar to reach if they are in the NY/NJ/PA/MD group saturated with apps from this area. Plenty of kids get denied with below 1800 from those above areas. Delaware in state kids can get in with 1500-1600/2400 range.

Like Reply Quote
Page 22 of 31 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard