I have never bought into the argument that the bigger "older" kids are going to hurt the "younger" smaller kids. Those kids will always struggle to compete against the legit "AA" players. Conversely it is somewhat true that at the HS level it does not matter anymore because size wise you are what you are as 10 - 12 graders beyond the continued muscle development as they mature and weight train with the exception of the late bloomers which are unfortunately penalized in this sport for collegiate recruiting.

I think the kids that get screwed are the really good players on elite teams that cut or bumped down the roster due to the number of holdbacks on the elite teams. I have watched pretty good on age players on top level teams reclassify and become studs / high level commits now that they are playing kids primarily one year younger in those crucial 8th - 10th grade recruiting years for the top 30 D1 programs.

Not a buttercup or snowflake, and my son is a on age public school kid that did commit to a mid level D1 program as a sophomore.

A unfair advantage for one kid is a unfair disadvantage for another kid.