Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Whether or not there is collusion doesn't negate the fact that a grade based system allows parents to play their older children against younger children whose parents for whatever reason chose to keep their kids in the grade based on when they were born. Do prefirst if you have the financial means, hold your kid back, whatever, but don't say that a difference of a year (and oftentimes more depending on the birthdate) doesn't make a difference. After soccer changed age dates, my child is now the oldest on his team. While he was always good, he's now one of the best. Previously the boys with August-December birthdays were usually the best kids. So we're talking a few months here with soccer - imagine what a year or more does in lacrosse. But it's the system we currently have. And while you can always play up, and it used to be a sign of a great athlete to do that, the parents who chose prefirst/reclass generally don't play their kids up a grade by actually playing them on age.

The real question is, why does it matter? One kid is a great player because he is a year older. Eventually his curve will level out. It's not a safety issue, so please don't give me that line. Much of the hitting has been removed from the game. I think it has more to do with parent egos and the refusal to accept that kids are better than their children. It happens. Suck it up, Buttercup. Nothing is going to change,

It is always "suck it up buttercup" or something along those lines. Yet you same apologists want NO part of anything you say. What you want is for your child to be the oldest guy out there.

Holding back or doing prefirst makes a average player better than most of the younger players. At age he would be average..It works especially at the younger age groups. And even at 8th grade as many are just starting to really grow. But the majority of people you ask feel that it is wrong. You dont let a select group of kids ( for whatever reason short of some handicap) play down against their age group. If those kids get to play down then change the rules to let anyone play down that is within a year/6 months of their age group. Forget grades. why do these select kids get to play down when the same exact birthday kids dont ??? Makes no sense..except to apologists for grade base. Pretty simple concept.