Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son is one of the 2018 commits and I will share his experience. He is fortunate to play for one of the top club teams and has a coach that knows what tournaments to play at and is able to get him the invites to the individual showcases. He got on the radar of some coaches in the fall of his 9th grade year by playing at some of top team tournaments and at Philly Freshman Showcase. Then in June and July his coach had the team play at tournaments that had at least 15-20 D1 coaches on the sidelines at each game. My son attended Blackcard, Jake Reed and Maverick Showtime which are individual showcases that needed invites and were loaded with coaches. In his experience, Blackcard was the showcase the got him the most attention and put him on the map for many top D1 schools. He did not attend any prospect camps simply because it would have been too much lacrosse and honestly we couldn't afford it. I'm sure everyone's recruiting process is a bit different. Just sharing what worked for my son. I am not sure if I believe that if you're good it doesn't matter, you will be seen. This may work for a handful of kids, but I do not feel that is the norm. These players may be very deserving of a spot on a top D1 school, but may not have had the exposure. In addition to lacrosse, grades are huge. If my son did not have the grades, this really would have limited his choices. I know the process can be overwhelming. Good luck to your son.

Congrats to you and your son - Thanks for sharing your story