BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts389,844
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
Re: Boys 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few middle age men have been working for years to pull off a WS team for their kid. Don’t ruin it for them now

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Unfortunately your argument about ND is void, almost all of them are older, youngest is March, most are over age and the ones that arent will PG. So yes, while they have talent they are not ready. There is nothing wrong with holding back, this conversation/argument needs to end. It’s a reality in this sport whether you like it or not and it’s only going to get worse. Club owners and directors see dollars not birthdates and until they are forced to apply dates to grad years it will continue. Yes there are dates for 14u and under, but after that it’s the Wild West. Need to adapt and or accept.

You're funny. Most are ON AGE as documented with the facts above . . . but don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

I'm not judging folks that choose to hold back. And I don't disagree with your comments about the financial motivations of club owners.

I'm just simply disproving the myth that holding back is the only route to big time D1. In reality the most talented kids will end up at the top schools whether they held back or not.

It’s not a myth, it’s factual, you chose 1 school. based on the ND roster, if you’re a public school kid you have a 12% chance of making the roster there. A whopping 6 out of 50 kids are public schoolers. Might want to reclassify or put Junior into a private school if ND is the dream.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately your argument about ND is void, almost all of them are older, youngest is March, most are over age and the ones that arent will PG. So yes, while they have talent they are not ready. There is nothing wrong with holding back, this conversation/argument needs to end. It’s a reality in this sport whether you like it or not and it’s only going to get worse. Club owners and directors see dollars not birthdates and until they are forced to apply dates to grad years it will continue. Yes there are dates for 14u and under, but after that it’s the Wild West. Need to adapt and or accept.

You're funny. Most are ON AGE as documented with the facts above . . . but don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

I'm not judging folks that choose to hold back. And I don't disagree with your comments about the financial motivations of club owners.

I'm just simply disproving the myth that holding back is the only route to big time D1. In reality the most talented kids will end up at the top schools whether they held back or not.

It’s not a myth, it’s factual, you chose 1 school. based on the ND roster, if you’re a public school kid you have a 12% chance of making the roster there. A whopping 6 out of 50 kids are public schoolers. Might want to reclassify or put Junior into a private school if ND is the dream.

The discussion was about holdbacks . . . not private vs public. I don't disagree that private kids make up the majority of the top tier D1 rosters. That doesn't mean they're hold backs. In most places in the US, public school lacrosse is lousy so good players gravitate to the privates whether they plan to hold back or not.

Yes, I chose ND because they are at the top of the heap right now. I presented facts. If you insist on spreading the myth that you have to hold back to go bigtime D1, please share the facts to back up your position.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The discussion was about holdbacks . . . not private vs public. I don't disagree that private kids make up the majority of the top tier D1 rosters. That doesn't mean they're hold backs. In most places in the US, public school lacrosse is lousy so good players gravitate to the privates whether they plan to hold back or not.

Yes, I chose ND because they are at the top of the heap right now. I presented facts. If you insist on spreading the myth that you have to hold back to go bigtime D1, please share the facts to back up your position.

Interesting conversation. I don’t think you need to be a holdback to commit to a top d1 program (top 20?). However the majority of top commits to these top programs are holdbacks, this years ND commits not withstanding. For the last several years, especially since 2020 most commits to these top programs are not on age especially the early September commits. Some are also PGs that are being stashed at prep schools to free up college roster sports. Thenproof (and I’m too lazy to crunch all the birthdays) has been show in IL recruitment database for the last 5 years.

I guess the confusion lies in the definition of “majority are holdbacks”. Is it 51%, 60% 75% 95%? If I had to say, it is somewhere between 65-70%. So you don’t NEED to holdback but it definitely is the norm, again only talking about top d1 and early commits.

And yes, prep schools are littered with not on age kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Interesting conversation. I don’t think you need to be a holdback to commit to a top d1 program (top 20?). However the majority of top commits to these top programs are holdbacks, this years ND commits not withstanding. For the last several years, especially since 2020 most commits to these top programs are not on age especially the early September commits. Some are also PGs that are being stashed at prep schools to free up college roster sports. Thenproof (and I’m too lazy to crunch all the birthdays) has been show in IL recruitment database for the last 5 years.

I guess the confusion lies in the definition of “majority are holdbacks”. Is it 51%, 60% 75% 95%? If I had to say, it is somewhere between 65-70%. So you don’t NEED to holdback but it definitely is the norm, again only talking about top d1 and early commits.

Again, you're just repeating talking points you've heard from holdback dads justifying their decision or club directors looking for an extra year of tuition. The facts don't back up the argument. Below is a list of the 5-star 2025s. These are the best players all receiving countless calls on Sept 1. Only 47% (8 of 17) are holdbacks. You don't need to holdback to be elite . . . and no it is not the "norm".

Millon Feb-07
Merrill Jul-07
Maher Jul-06
Ortlieb Apr-06
Hopper Feb-07
Drago Sep-06
Lally Oct-05
Seibel Jul-06
Cooper Mar-06
McDonald May-07
Pedicano Nov-06
Hahn Sep-06
Iuliano Mar-07
Higgins Aug-06
Kelley Aug-06
Hocker Apr-07
Diaz-Matos Jan-06

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again, you're just repeating talking points you've heard from holdback dads justifying their decision or club directors looking for an extra year of tuition. The facts don't back up the argument. Below is a list of the 5-star 2025s. These are the best players all receiving countless calls on Sept 1. Only 47% (8 of 17) are holdbacks. You don't need to holdback to be elite . . . and no it is not the "norm".

Millon Feb-07
Merrill Jul-07
Maher Jul-06
Ortlieb Apr-06
Hopper Feb-07
Drago Sep-06
Lally Oct-05
Seibel Jul-06
Cooper Mar-06
McDonald May-07
Pedicano Nov-06
Hahn Sep-06
Iuliano Mar-07
Higgins Aug-06
Kelley Aug-06
Hocker Apr-07
Diaz-Matos Jan-06

A good amount of these will be asked to take an extra year before college so that percentage will go up. Happens every year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tough to look yourself in the mirror and be proud of any accomplishments you have made when you cheat by holding back, unless of course you are a narcissist.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tough to look yourself in the mirror and be proud of any accomplishments you have made when you cheat by holding back, unless of course you are a narcissist.

Coaches will always recruit the best available, this means the biggest, fastest and strongest. Do you have a problem with the transfer portal too? What about red shirts and 5th year Seniors? Are they OK?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Millon Feb-07
Merrill Jul-07
Maher Jul-06
Ortlieb Apr-06
Hopper Feb-07
Drago Sep-06
Lally Oct-05
Seibel Jul-06
Cooper Mar-06
McDonald May-07
Pedicano Nov-06
Hahn Sep-06
Iuliano Mar-07
Higgins Aug-06
Kelley Aug-06
Hocker Apr-07
Diaz-Matos Jan-06

A good amount of these will be asked to take an extra year before college so that percentage will go up. Happens every year

True some may take a PG year . . . but that doesn't change the fact that they are 5-star recruits, committed to the best schools in the country, WITHOUT holding back pre-k or before 9th grade. These colleges have evaluated them as on-age athletes and determined they were good enough to go to ND, UVA, Duke, MD, etc. If someone is telling you that you need to hold back to be recruited by those schools they are wrong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kids not a holdback, but enough it’s not cheating, maybe not ethical but not cheating.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you hit the nail on the head. Coaches always want the stronger more mature player which is the fundamental problem because it’s become a drug to them. Time to level the field rather than have such a huge disparity in ages which inevitably leads to recruiting disparities and the haves and have nots with basically only 6 teams capable of winning it all in a given year. Redshirt injury year is Ok but anything beyond that is essentially a gateway drug to 6th, 7th+ years. A few years ago we celebrated the Rutgers player who played a jillion years and this year we cried when the the Virginia player was denied a 7th year. Oh no!!! The tragedy! Time to get off daddy’s dime and go live the rest of your life and become a productive member of that workforce. Some people need to holdback for a real reason but the majority? Simply To gain an advantage (and it is an advantage) because you couldn’t compete on age? The sport would be perfectly fine if everyone is on age and no one would miss a beat. Now it’s limited to a few colleges, clubs and prep schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kids not a holdback, but enough it’s not cheating, maybe not ethical but not cheating.

Just because you found a way to do it doesn’t mean it’s not cheating. It’s cheating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just because you found a way to do it doesn’t mean it’s not cheating. It’s cheating.

Agreed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone notice what a cupcake schedule CM gave Madlax aka “Supreme Nationals” at Club Nationals. Put all the strong teams in the South and West pools, and ML in the East with Mad Dog Gold (B team), Bostons Phinest and True Carolina. Meanwhile, South pool has Mad Dog Black (A team who put ML out last year), Red Hots National and Team 91 National and West pool has West Coast Starz A team and 3D National. Winner of South plays winner of West in semis. Madlax won’t play a competitive team until the championship (which they will likely lose big). This is significantly worse than 91 scheduling at NLF…borderline criminal. Is CM so desperate to have a good W-L that he dodges good competition? Kids may get a free pass into the championship but are they getting better like these other teams that are grinding it out against high-level competition? Considering the backslide last summer and this fall for ML, I would argue no.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone notice what a cupcake schedule CM gave Madlax aka “Supreme Nationals” at Club Nationals. Put all the strong teams in the South and West pools, and ML in the East with Mad Dog Gold (B team), Bostons Phinest and True Carolina. Meanwhile, South pool has Mad Dog Black (A team who put ML out last year), Red Hots National and Team 91 National and West pool has West Coast Starz A team and 3D National. Winner of South plays winner of West in semis. Madlax won’t play a competitive team until the championship (which they will likely lose big). This is significantly worse than 91 scheduling at NLF…borderline criminal. Is CM so desperate to have a good W-L that he dodges good competition? Kids may get a free pass into the championship but are they getting better like these other teams that are grinding it out against high-level competition? Considering the backslide last summer and this fall for ML, I would argue no.

Any non- national teams at this?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nah, this is one of those feel good events for the 15 year olds masquerading as 7th graders

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it safe to assume that FCA has already dropped out of the Circuit at all age groups? What is the story with this?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's so ridiculous, can't comment without it being about someone, never wrote that I did it, I wrote that it is factually not cheating. if you are this sensitive it's time to find a new sport because this one is going to chew you and your kid up really fast.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nah, this is one of those feel good events for the 15 year olds masquerading as 7th graders

Looks like the regular 2way team is there but everything else is money grabbing “national” nonsense. Can’t believe I’m writing this but hope 2way does well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bostons Phinest is rebranded JM3 you ding dong and is probably one of the strongest teams there. Full of 3d New England and other top circuit kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's so ridiculous, can't comment without it being about someone, never wrote that I did it, I wrote that it is factually not cheating. if you are this sensitive it's time to find a new sport because this one is going to chew you and your kid up really fast.

Yeh that’s not happening. So you think having your kid repeat a GRADE just so he can compete with kids a year younger than him isn’t cheating? Then you teach your kid these great life lessons but don’t be surprised when they grow up with no moral compass.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bostons Phinest is rebranded JM3 you ding dong and is probably one of the strongest teams there. Full of 3d New England and other top circuit kids.

Then what is 3d National?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club Nationals is adhering to age verification - so unless there is falsifying of birth certs, all 2029’s will be post 6/1/2010 birthdays. I know of one kid who was born 5/28/2010 - 3 days before the cutoff- that was told he couldn’t play. So no 14 and 15 year olds.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Except that 3d New England will be part of 3d National. Ding dong. Boston’s finest will be average at best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roster for Boston is made up of mostly 3d NE.
All of the brackets are pretty even and fair.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We’ll see. Look at the ML/Supreme pools for each age and try to tell me that they aren’t blatantly trying to give themselves an easy road to and through the bracket. Sometimes CM screws up and underestimates a team in his pool, but clearly the goal is to make it an easy as possible to go as deep as possible.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many fly ins?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually most of the 3D kids play for Nations Best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As someone else already said, to be a dominant d1 lacrosse player, you have to hold back.

6 of 11 Notre Dame recruits in the class of 2025 are NOT holdbacks. Their birthdates are on Inside Lacrosse. 6 of the 11 could have played in the World Series with the class of 2025 meaning they were born after 9/1/2006. Of the 5 that wouldn't have qualified for the WS, 2 were born in August '06 so they barely missed the cutoff.

Moral of the story . . . no, you do not have to hold back to be recruited to a top program or be a dominant D1 player. This is a falsehood holdback parents tell themselves and their kids to justify their decision.

#realstudsdontreclass

Here's the list . . .

Iuliano Mar-07
Lally Oct-05
Kelley Aug-06
Diaz-Matos Jan-06
Lynch Feb-07
Gardner Nov-06
Mullahy Oct-06
Iglesias Feb-07
Popham Aug-06
Gryzenia Nov-06
Kenney Jun-06

Some of these may take a PG year essentially being stashed for a year making them a holdback. Quite common so I will be curious which of these will actually be in the roster of fall 2025[/quote]
Not true for ND and others. The 25's that have been recruited and will be PGing or reclassing are not allowed to announce their commitment until 9/1/24. Players listed as committed on IL will be on campus 9/25.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeh that’s not happening. So you think having your kid repeat a GRADE just so he can compete with kids a year younger than him isn’t cheating? Then you teach your kid these great life lessons but don’t be surprised when they grow up with no moral compass.
Its called Winning! You and your moral compass aren't going to be looking out for my kid. Dog eat dog. Be a savage. Dont complain. The world aint fair mom.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do classify dominant? How many kids dominate any sport on age? Maybe 1-2 per team or maybe less? This is a notIntelligent argument. If you want to holdback you are welcome to, any parent who doesnt see the value for their child is a m@ron. Seems like a lot of jealous 2029 parents. I would be upset as well, 2029 is an awful class on the island, very little talent.

This may be the densest statement yet. People are “fools and jealous” because they don’t see the “value” in holding back. So let’s start a new thread about “value” vs “cost”

Value
-gets to dominate against younger kids
-an extra year of maturity and maybe get their academics in order
-maybe, just maybe, but unlikely to translate into getting into a top d1 school
-parents get a sense a pride and boast how awesome their kid is

Cost
-you are telling their kid they can’t compete on a level playing field. Usually the parent and maybe the kid won’t ever realize this
-less skill development because you are competing against a less skilled cohort rather than on age
-all those friends he grew up with, say goodbye and here’s a whole new group of players
-this actually a literal cost as holding back may cost in the form of an extra year of tuition and extra year of club
-another literal cost of deferring a year’s worth of income down the road
-teaching a life’s lesson to game the system and cut corners to get ahead. Again most won’t realize it.

Everybody has different goals in life but to me, the “value” just doesn’t outweigh the “costs”. t’s lacrosse. It just makes no sense. Maybe basketball or football but makes zero sense for lacrosse.

Who wants to add to the list of perceived value and costs?

The value vs cost conversation was key for our decision to reclass. Nothing to with knucklehead above but here is the reality of how we looked at it:

Value
- Lost a year of education due to Covid, reclassing gives this back
- Move to a better (Prep) school and get a better education with better network
- Better school provides better pipeline into colleges
- Higher academic standards will push him to be his best.
- Education, education, education.
- Play against better competition.
- Go from a 50-100 IL recruit to a top 25 (Patriot League to ACC)
- I love boasting how great my kid is.

Cost
- do I want to pay for an extra year of school + the additional uptick in cost for Prep School
- School gave FA though dont really quality so that offset the additional cost
- 50% scholarship to a top academic University made up for the extra year and then some

Net net, we looked at the overall value and cost of reclassing while balancing the risk. It was a low-risk high reward for us based on the different value propositions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do classify dominant? How many kids dominate any sport on age? Maybe 1-2 per team or maybe less? This is a notIntelligent argument. If you want to holdback you are welcome to, any parent who doesnt see the value for their child is a m@ron. Seems like a lot of jealous 2029 parents. I would be upset as well, 2029 is an awful class on the island, very little talent.

This may be the densest statement yet. People are “fools and jealous” because they don’t see the “value” in holding back. So let’s start a new thread about “value” vs “cost”

Value

Cost
-you are telling their kid they can’t compete on a level playing field. Usually the parent and maybe the kid won’t ever realize this
-less skill development because you are competing against a less skilled cohort rather than on age
-all those friends he grew up with, say goodbye and here’s a whole new group of players
-this actually a literal cost as holding back may cost in the form of an extra year of tuition and extra year of club
-teaching a life’s lesson to game the system and cut corners to get ahead. Again most won’t realize it.

Everybody has different goals in life but to me, the “value” just doesn’t outweigh the “costs”. t’s lacrosse. It just makes no sense. Maybe basketball or football but makes zero sense for lacrosse.

The value vs cost conversation was key for our decision to reclass. Nothing to with knucklehead above but here is the reality of how we looked at it:

Value

Cost
- do I want to pay for an extra year of school + the additional uptick in cost for Prep School
- 50% scholarship to a top academic University made up for the extra year and then some

Net net, we looked at the overall value and cost of reclassing while balancing the risk. It was a low-risk high reward for us based on the different value propositions.

Education could have been had by transferring without releasing. Cheater. Cheater. Cheater.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cheating by reclassing= Priceless

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Value

Cost

Value

Cost

Education could have been had by transferring without releasing. Cheater. Cheater. Cheater.
Not really. He wasn’t going to get in to the school with out lacrosse and they werent going to give financial aid. Also, the lost COVID year and being able to give that back wasn’t an option by transferring……also the team didnt need him in the class so again nope, couldn’t get the education by just transferring. I do love that it pisses you off though. Add that to the value propisition. darn, the more I type it out the more it was a low cost high value decision.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Value

Cost

Value

Cost

Good that it worked out for your kid at whatever ACc school he is at now and hopefully he is not riding that ACc bench instead of playing meaningful patriot minutes. You do realize that it doesn’t work out for most reclasses though. You are also missing the fact that he is not competing on age and has to reclass to succeed. Much easier to transfer and also not defer that extra year of income. Net net? Still not sure I see it but you do you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Watching Boston play now. Thought this was an age verified tourney. Yellow helmet (QM) is not of age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Value

Cost

Value

Cost

Not really. He wasn’t going to get in to the school with out lacrosse and they werent going to give financial aid. Also, the lost COVID year and being able to give that back wasn’t an option by transferring……also the team didnt need him in the class so again nope, couldn’t get the education by just transferring. I do love that it pisses you off though. Add that to the value propisition. darn, the more I type it out the more it was a low cost high value decision.

What a weasel.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Watching Boston play now. Thought this was an age verified tourney. Yellow helmet (QM) is not of age.

Some big dudes on WCS. Granted they draw from the western half of the country but holy crud.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many fly ins?

Pretty long drive so most probably flew.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 went 2-8 down in Florida, sheesh.

Like Reply Quote
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
Quick Reply