BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts390,292
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Boys 2025-11th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
College programs with championships Cuse 11, Hop 9, UVA 7, PU 6, UNC 5, UMD 4, CU 3, Duke 3, Denver 1, Yale 1, ND 1

Talkin about now. Where would be the best combination of school and lax today. Respect Syracuse history but I wouldn’t be choosing them today over the other schools. Good school but not as good as the ones above it academically. Cowboys have won the most NFC super bowls but nobody ain’t crowning them as the best for decades.

You suffer from recency bias. And that is totally normal from a psychological basis, particularly before your first or only has played college ball. Before our first played college, thought in a naive sense like you are. Making rushed judgements, going off recent scores or the prior season, it is just human nature. Everyone is a rookie once right so do not feel badly here. Everyone needs a coach and happy to be that for you. My fellow JETS fans can really understand what is being said right, it helps having a CHIEFS friend if you get the analogy. When you get a greater sense of college dynamics, how it is played, whether a coaching staff is any good, you start to look at the bigger picture better. In a way, you will be able to see the forest through the trees.

Of course I suffer from recency bias. This is where I want my kid to go “now”. For academics + lax? I would choose duke, yale and ND any day and 10 times over as opposed to Syracuse (I’ll admit Hopkins wouldn’t be a bad landing place). heck yeah I have recency bias. That’s the whole point of the post. Who has the best combination of academics + lax and where do I want to send my kid TODAY, not “all time”. You act like recency bias is a bad thing in this case. I’m going to go out on a limb snd say duke, yale and ND coaching are “pretty good”

And to continue your football analogy and we look at “ownership” as the “academic” component and football performance as the “lax” component , still no one is picking the jets because they are bad at both. But I would definitely choose the chiefs because their “recent” success as well as their standout ownership makes my recency bias picking them as the team to play for now not the patients or cowboys or Steelers who have the most titles (though those miners are looking darn good)

And to be honest, if we are picking “all time” I still wouldn’t put Syracuse at the top. Their academics, albeit very good, are not as good as the schools at the top. With your recency bias argument you are completely leaving out the academic component. If you go back and look at the original post the rankings also take into account academics. If I’m not mistaken, yale, ND and duke were all pretty good academically recently and in the past.

Just not sure what you are trying to state but I welcome the conversation.

This is the 2025 forum. Might want to reach out to some realistic programs because you would already know by now if your player was headed to these schools.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College programs with championships Cuse 11, Hop 9, UVA 7, PU 6, UNC 5, UMD 4, CU 3, Duke 3, Denver 1, Yale 1, ND 1

Talkin about now. Where would be the best combination of school and lax today. Respect Syracuse history but I wouldn’t be choosing them today over the other schools. Good school but not as good as the ones above it academically. Cowboys have won the most NFC super bowls but nobody ain’t crowning them as the best for decades.

You suffer from recency bias. And that is totally normal from a psychological basis, particularly before your first or only has played college ball. Before our first played college, thought in a naive sense like you are. Making rushed judgements, going off recent scores or the prior season, it is just human nature. Everyone is a rookie once right so do not feel badly here. Everyone needs a coach and happy to be that for you. My fellow JETS fans can really understand what is being said right, it helps having a CHIEFS friend if you get the analogy. When you get a greater sense of college dynamics, how it is played, whether a coaching staff is any good, you start to look at the bigger picture better. In a way, you will be able to see the forest through the trees.

Of course I suffer from recency bias. This is where I want my kid to go “now”. For academics + lax? I would choose duke, yale and ND any day and 10 times over as opposed to Syracuse (I’ll admit Hopkins wouldn’t be a bad landing place). heck yeah I have recency bias. That’s the whole point of the post. Who has the best combination of academics + lax and where do I want to send my kid TODAY, not “all time”. You act like recency bias is a bad thing in this case. I’m going to go out on a limb snd say duke, yale and ND coaching are “pretty good”

And to continue your football analogy and we look at “ownership” as the “academic” component and football performance as the “lax” component , still no one is picking the jets because they are bad at both. But I would definitely choose the chiefs because their “recent” success as well as their standout ownership makes my recency bias picking them as the team to play for now not the patients or cowboys or Steelers who have the most titles (though those miners are looking darn good)

And to be honest, if we are picking “all time” I still wouldn’t put Syracuse at the top. Their academics, albeit very good, are not as good as the schools at the top. With your recency bias argument you are completely leaving out the academic component. If you go back and look at the original post the rankings also take into account academics. If I’m not mistaken, yale, ND and duke were all pretty good academically recently and in the past.

This is the 2025 forum. Might want to reach out to some realistic programs because you would already know by now if your player was headed to these schools.

Yes many of these schools have many 2025s already. But even Shay says they always leave 1-2 slots all the way through the summer.

Nonetheless I wasn’t referring to 25s still making a decision; I was bringing up a hypothetical ranking of the top 20 dual threat schools, academics and good lax. This was brought up in the context of what would be the preferred order of choosing schools and for me it was

-d1 top 20
-d3 top 15ish
-top MCLA schools (GaTech, Stanford, BC etc)
-mid-high d1

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes many of these schools have many 2025s already. But even Shay says they always leave 1-2 slots all the way through the summer.

Nonetheless I wasn’t referring to 25s still making a decision; I was bringing up a hypothetical ranking of the top 20 dual threat schools, academics and good lax. This was brought up in the context of what would be the preferred order of choosing schools and for me it was

-d1 top 20
-d3 top 15ish
-mid-high d1

Would also strongly consider a top D2. They give athletic scholarships unlike D3.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Penn State is outside the top 20, as its academics are weak, and replace it with Ohio State, Nova or Lehigh. Penn state is the flip side of Dartmouth

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MY opinion go to an SEC school play club and enjoy the college experience I wish my older son did that. He's playing D-1 and honestly doesn't really love it anymore full time job. So dads make sure your kid is up to the challenge of school work and basically another 3hrs a day of Lax. Hopefully my younger guy takes my advice lol good luck.

Smart man, wise words for a lot of moms and dads to heed!

Your kid doesn't want to play lacrosse for 3 hours a day? Sounds like he never should have played D1. Or at all in college.

D1 lacrosse is a far, far greater time commitment than playing "3 hours a day," especially at all of the high profile non-Ivies we've been talking about in this thread.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

-d1 top 20
-d3 top 15ish
-mid-high d1

Would also strongly consider a top D2. They give athletic scholarships unlike D3.

Any kid who goes to school or a trade school is a win. D2s give good money but unfortunately they fall short in the academic side. I think Bentley is decent but the rest are just OK. D2 gray if going for lax only but if lax and academics are a consideration, then d2 may not be right for you

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Penn State is outside the top 20, as its academics are weak, and replace it with Ohio State, Nova or Lehigh. Penn state is the flip side of Dartmouth

Can’t disagree with that. Penn state is only in the top 20 because of their lax success. But yea if going off academics alone OSU, nova, Lehigh as well as Richmond, Lafayette, Syracuse, Bucknell, UMass are all better. But the ranking is academics + lax

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well academics are a big deal with lacrosse because there is no future earnings to be made from it. Not from playing or coaching. Just think, most lacrosse parents will spend well over $40,000 on club lacrosse for about $4,000 in scholarship money. That’s an awful investment, bless you’re an owner of a club team.

If you're only getting $4k in scholarship money you maybe overestimated how good your kid is at lacrosse. I don't mean that in a mean way. You just didn't consider your ROI very well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There seems to be an awful lot of 'expertise' flying around in this forum this week.

YOU may want your kid to go to an Ivy or a 'top 20' school but can he or she handle it academically on top of playing lacrosse? Do those schools have the majors/programs your son or daughter are interested in?

I know the kids want to commit to a "top" school in their (and their friends') eyes but just like playing for a big brand club team isn't for everyone, neither is going to a "top" academic school only to struggle or fail.

There is way too much judgmental bs on this board. Every kid should find their own place in the lacrosse and college world.

That all said, paying to play on a club team in college seems fool.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In addition to the "athletic and Team sport benefits and life lessons" lacrosse is about helping our children get into the best school possible. Many of the schools listed below have Division I Lacrosse Programs and without lacrosse it would be very difficult for our children to get into them.

Below are some rankings of where some of the Major Players in Investment Banking, Consulting and Big Tech hire from they are known as "Target Schools". Just want to point out the opportunities Lacrosse can provide for our children. The rankings are primarily in order of "number undergraduate hires" from each school.

Not knocking or touting any schools just pointing out Many of the schools that lacrosse can help get kids into are also feeder schools into many of the most lucrative careers at some of the best companies in three particular industries.

Not every kid knows what career path they want to pursue so choosing a school that can open as many doors as possible is very important. In many cases, it will be the school "name recognition and or prestige" that will help get their foot in the door with an interview (lacrosse connections help as well).

Investment Banking: BOA, Barclays, Citi, Goldman Sachs, JPM, Morgan Stanley etc... Recent Grads (2014 - 2019)

1 - Penn
2 - NYU
3 - Michigan
4 - Harvard
5 - Georgetown
6 - Cornell
7 - Yale
8 - Columbia
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Princeton
11 - U of Chicago
12 - Cal - Berkeley
13 - Texas
14 - Duke
15 - Virginia
16 - Dartmouth
17 - BYU
18 - Vanderbilt
19 - Indiana
20 - Uni Southern Cal
21 - Northwestern
22 - Boston College
23 - Brown
25 - North Carolina
26 - Stanford
27 - UCLA
28 - Middlebury
29 - Penn State
30 - Emory

Consulting: McKinsey, Bain, BCG etc.... Recent Grads (2014 - 2020)

1 - Harvard
2 - Penn
3 - Michigan
4 - Yale
5 - Stanford
6 - Duke
7 - Princeton
8 - MIT
9 - Uni Cal Berkeley
10 - Northwestern
11 - Columbia
12 - Texas
13 - Virginia
14 - Dartmouth
15 - Notre Dame
16 - Vanderbilt
16 - Uni Chicago
18 - Brown
19 - Georgetown
20 - Georgia Tech
21 - Western University
22 - Mc Gill University
23 - Washington Uni St. Louis
24 - Queen's University
25 - BYU
26 - Rice
27 - Uni Southern California
28 - Cornell
29 - North Carolina
30 - Uni Illinois

Big Tech

1 University of California, Berkeley
2 Stanford University
3 Carnegie Mellon University
4 University of Southern California
5 The University of Texas at Austin
6 Georgia Institute of Technology
7 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
8 San Jose State University
9 University of California, San Diego
10 Arizona State University
11 University of Michigan
12 University of California, Los Angeles
13 North Carolina State University
14 California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo
15 Cornell University
16 University of Waterloo (Canada)
17 Texas A&M University
18 University of Washington
19 Purdue University
20 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
21 Santa Clara University
22 University of Phoenix
23 University of California, Santa Barbara
24 University of California, Davis
25 Penn State University

Here is some additional food for thought...

These 30 Colleges get students Jobs through great professional partnerships.

Link for interesting article - https://www.bestvalueschools.com/colleges-professional-partnerships/

1 - Michigan
2 - Penn State
3 - Stanford
4 - Harvard
5 - NYU
6 - Princeton
7 - University of Cal. Berkeley
8 - Penn
9 - MIT
10 - USC (California)
11 - Cornell
12 - Dartmouth
13 - Washington
14 - Texas A&M
15 - Yale
16 - Northeastern
17 - Purdue
18 - Carnegie Mellon University
19 - Georgia Tech
20 - UCLA
21 - Claremont McKenna College
22 - Arizona State
23 - California Institute of Technology
24 - University of Maryland
25 - North Carolina State
26 - University of Cal. San Diego
27 - Florida
28 - University of Cal. Davis
29 - Virginia Tech
30 - Embry Riddle Aeronautical

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well academics are a big deal with lacrosse because there is no future earnings to be made from it. Not from playing or coaching. Just think, most lacrosse parents will spend well over $40,000 on club lacrosse for about $4,000 in scholarship money. That’s an awful investment, bless you’re an owner of a club team.

If you're only getting $4k in scholarship money you maybe overestimated how good your kid is at lacrosse. I don't mean that in a mean way. You just didn't consider your ROI very well.

patriot league schools, are giving out money , not all of them, but i have heard up to 50%

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In addition to the "athletic and Team sport benefits and life lessons" lacrosse is about helping our children get into the best school possible. Many of the schools listed below have Division I Lacrosse Programs and without lacrosse it would be very difficult for our children to get into them.

Below are some rankings of where some of the Major Players in Investment Banking, Consulting and Big Tech hire from they are known as "Target Schools". Just want to point out the opportunities Lacrosse can provide for our children. The rankings are primarily in order of "number undergraduate hires" from each school.

Not knocking or touting any schools just pointing out Many of the schools that lacrosse can help get kids into are also feeder schools into many of the most lucrative careers at some of the best companies in three particular industries.

Not every kid knows what career path they want to pursue so choosing a school that can open as many doors as possible is very important. In many cases, it will be the school "name recognition and or prestige" that will help get their foot in the door with an interview (lacrosse connections help as well).

Thanks for the info. Interesting lists. Surprised how high Michigan is on these lists - above many of the Ivy's. Also surprised how few NESCAC schools crack these lists. Maybe it's just due to being smaller schools - less kids graduating each year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There seems to be an awful lot of 'expertise' flying around in this forum this week.

YOU may want your kid to go to an Ivy or a 'top 20' school but can he or she handle it academically on top of playing lacrosse? Do those schools have the majors/programs your son or daughter are interested in?

I know the kids want to commit to a "top" school in their (and their friends') eyes but just like playing for a big brand club team isn't for everyone, neither is going to a "top" academic school only to struggle or fail.

There is way too much judgmental bs on this board. Every kid should find their own place in the lacrosse and college world.

Don’t think anyone is claiming to be an expert. The nature of this forum, by default, renders everything an opinion. It is only taken as “expertise” when one disagrees

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the info. Interesting lists. Surprised how high Michigan is on these lists - above many of the Ivy's. Also surprised how few NESCAC schools crack these lists. Maybe it's just due to being smaller schools - less kids graduating each year?

The methodology is interesting, worth taking a look at how they came up with this list.

These 30 Colleges get students Jobs through great professional partnerships.

Link for interesting article -

https://www.bestvalueschools.com/colleges-professional-partnerships/

1 - Michigan
2 - Penn Stateh
3 - Stanford
4 - Harvard
5 - NYU
6 - Princeton
7 - University of Cal. Berkeley
8 - Penn
9 - MIT
10 - USC (California)
11 - Cornell
12 - Dartmouth
13 - Washington
14 - Texas A&M
15 - Yale
16 - Northeastern
17 - Purdue
18 - Carnegie Mellon University
19 - Georgia Tech
20 - UCLA
21 - Claremont McKenna College
22 - Arizona State
23 - California Institute of Technology
24 - University of Maryland
25 - North Carolina State
26 - University of Cal. San Diego
27 - Florida
28 - University of Cal. Davis
29 - Virginia Tech
30 - Embry Riddle Aeronautical

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think one correlation to explain some of the success of these schools and less success of the small liberal arts schools is the strength and size of the alumni network

Out of curiosity as I am sure there is no data, but what % of college lax players go into finance / business / econ. I imagine it is the vast majority (my guess would be at least 75% maybe more). My kids were stem all the way. It nothing wrong with finance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who’s judging who? Most of the discussion has been around what schools have the best combo of academics and lax. I don’t think anyone ever said their kid was looking for a ranking to send their kid there. It’s just a list and an opinion, nothing more.

You do know the irony of your last judgmental statement about club ball though, right?

But I do agree that d1 lax and studies are very hard to juggle but I don’t think that is limited to only the top 20 d1 schools. I think it’s all schools including d2 and d3. Now there are some schools that are harder than others (MIT Cornell come to mind). I count vouch for Harvard but I always head the joke the hardest thing about Harvard is getting in. But yes, all schools, juggling both is hard.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

patriot league schools, are giving out money , not all of them, but i have heard up to 50%

You’ve “heard” haven’t seen it but you heard. You heard a lie. It’s all academics, you can believe what you heard, again it’s a lie. But be a naive fool, can’t lead a horse to water. Want scholarship money? ACADEMICS!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Alumni network and their willingness to help is a big deal.

When you are going through the recruiting process be sure to ask the coach how they help with interships, job placement, alumni networking etc...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are the top 25 D1 programs?

It depends what you want out of it but for me a top 20 program is a combination of both good academics + good lax but that’s not everyone’s priority. Mind you that any kid who goes to any school and gets and education is good in my book. But my (just an opinion) top 20 dual threat academics + lax (with academics > lax in terms of weight)

1) Duke
2) yale
3) notre dame
4) hopkins
5) penn
6) cornell
7) virginia
8) Princeton
9) Michigan
10) gtown
11) UNC
12) Maryland
13) Harvard
14) Brown
15) Army
16) Navy
17) Rutgers
18) BU
19) Penn state
20 Syracuse

Honorable mention academic mention to Dartmouth and Colgate - terrible lax

Honorable lax mention to Denver

Just Outside the top 20: Richmond, lehigh, Ohio state, nova, Air Force

Lax is just one of those sports where the best lax schools are also the best academic schools. Not really the case in college football, basketball, hockey or baseball.

Solid list, I'd put Princeton top 5. They're ranked the number 1 university in the US and they have been stocking up on blue chip recruits. Don't be surprised if you see them do extremely well in the next several years (multiple final four appearances and possibly NCAA title games). Their 2023 freshman class is especially talented with about 5 players that could start as freshman

I would love to move Princeton up. Like Madalon as coach. They’ve underperformed lax wise which is why they are down at 8 but academically, I have them only behind MIT and Stanford (yup MCLA is a good option for your kids too) in my book. But in all honesty anything in the top 16 is splitting hairs. All amazing.

2020 Princeton looked like they had a strong chance to go deep in the NCAA playoffs and make a push for the natty. Too bad that season was cut short. 2021 looked promising for them too, unfortunately no season that year for the Ivies. They had a down season last year but I don’t expect that to be the norm over there based on their coaching and quality of recruits

Agreed. They are on the precipice. But the teams in front have had a better track record thus far so unfortunately potential doesn’t count. But maybe next year….

You have to look at potential for the 2025 class because the 2025 is not in college yet. You’re supposed to project out for when your kid is in college; however it’s not only potential. That 2020 shortened season they were not potential. They ended that season undefeated having beaten defending national champions UVA. In 2022 they lost in the NCAA semifinals to eventual champ and arguable best team ever Maryland. Their track record is real. Again 2023 was a down year, but they are very real. All of their grad transfers were highly recruited in the transfer portal for a reason. Bob Kemp was only a fall scrimmage, but their starters, including their highly recruited freshman, looked very good. Those that follow college lacrosse and academics closely know Princeton is a top 5 location nationally for both.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please revert to 2025 lacrosse for LI, CT, WC here.Use facebook to chat college laxers. Any advise on remaining local showcases for uncommitted 2025s interested in playing any level of college?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please revert to 2025 lacrosse for LI, CT, WC here.Use facebook to chat college laxers. Any advise on remaining local showcases for uncommitted 2025s interested in playing any level of college?

Seeing as how the 2025 lacrosse class recently became eligible for college recruitment, college lacrosse discussion is highly relevant to the 2025 lacrosse class currently. If you can’t connect those dots you have no business trying to moderate the discussion on this board

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seeing as how the 2025 lacrosse class recently became eligible for college recruitment, college lacrosse discussion is highly relevant to the 2025 lacrosse class currently. If you can’t connect those dots you have no business trying to moderate the discussion on this board

Agreed. I'm finding this discussion VERY relevant as my son ponders his current offers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

IL has a uncommitted tournament soon. Not local but good. Personally like the LM ones. LILJ is also a great resource. Good luck!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed. I'm finding this discussion VERY relevant as my son ponders his current offers.

This is long so feel free to scroll on by.

For those interested in 2025 recruiting this post is only my opinion as everyone’s experience is different. Background: 2 kids who just went through this. One got into a top 30 D1 academic school without lacrosse and is not playing lacrosse at that school. Other got into a top 40 academic school and will hopefully play MCLA. Both had a good amount of recruitment but none to their liking as academics were more of their focus.

First decide if what is more important, academics or lax. If it’s academics then high d1, high d3, high MCLA is the way to go. If it’s lax, you have plenty of choices with the rest of d1, all if d2 and low-mid d3 and a plethora of MCLA. If your interest is:

High D1 (top 20): it’s never too late but times running short. Coaches always keep 1-2 spots open but your chances of getting in are low. The name of the game is connections: if you aren’t from a top lax High School (or less important a top Lax Club) your chances are low. If you look at the rosters of these colleges, almost all of them have come from a powerhouse High School. Since all these schools are also excellent academic schools, you have to have the grades. Don’t think that lax will make exceptions for you. You have to be an exceptional player to be that’s exception and they have already made their commitments. Otherwise, your grades have to be in the ballpark.

Mid D1 - not too late but now is your go time. Good news, with the exception of Dartmouth and Colgate, the academics needed to get in are not as rigorous

Low D1 - academics are usually not a concern. My kids were still getting interest through March of their SENIOR year

D2 - really not on par academically but some great lax programs. I believe they are are able to reach out to you starting June 15 after your sophomore year.

Really High d3 (NESCAC, Swarthmore, washLee [am I missing any others]) - again, academics are a necessity to get in. They used to start making offers June/July after your JUNIOR a year but NESCAC pushed their back to august, presumedly while awaiting the Supreme Court decision. Don’t know what will be this year

Slightly less high d3 (centennial, chris Newport, Salisbury , colorado college, liberty, MAC, ODAC) - some are better schools but there is some great lax programs where academics are not as competitive

Mid-low d3 - tough to be these schools recruiting. Spots are always open. You may have gotten letters accepting you without even talking to you. It lax is your focus and academics not so much? Then you can always find a spot here

MCLA - 3 divisions with D1 being the best (they have tryouts for some as the rosters have kids from great lax high schools). Such a good under appreciated option for those kids where academics are important. How much more fun would it be to play against Clemson, BC, Stanford, Northeastern, VaTech, Florida, BYU, USC, UCLA, Texas, GaTech, The down side is you ain’t playing on national TV and you have to pay your own way. But on the flip side, A LOT less practice. D2 and d3 more like true club but they do travel.

A couple other points:

Don’t despair by the amount of social media commitments since Sep 1. My kids were getting recruited up to the day they set foot on campus. It’s obviously not too late to get recruited. With 80 D1, 75 D2, 250 D3 programs there is a spot if lacrosse is your main priority.

Most lax players seem to go into finance. But if you are STEM focused, don’t tell them you are STEM focused. A lot of schools don’t want someone tied up in labs and missing practices.

Be wary of prospect days. Many are done just to supplement income for coaches. You will get a ton of invites. How to distinguish? If they mention something in their letter that your kid did specifically (not the rando “we saw you at ‘x’ tourney and were ‘really impressed’) or if they contacted your coach who recommended you to go. That being said if your kid really wants to go then by all means, they should go.

Don’t count on a full scholarship. As one coach said they would rather split the scholarship money amongst 12 recruits rather than give someone a full ride.

Enjoy the process but don’t make a lax commitment and sacrifice academics. I’ve seen too many kids go to a “lesser” school just to commit. College lax is just four more years. College itself is a lifetime decision.

Again, just an opinion and trying to be helpful and not anecdotal because there are always exceptions. Everyone has different priorities. Please post if there are any gross errors. I’m sure I missed a lot so please add on because I wish we had better guidance when we went through it. Good luck to everyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is long so feel free to scroll on by.

For those interested in 2025 recruiting this post is only my opinion as everyone’s experience is different. Background: 2 kids who just went through this. One got into a top 30 D1 academic school without lacrosse and is not playing lacrosse at that school. Other got into a top 40 academic school and will hopefully play MCLA. Both had a good amount of recruitment but none to their liking as academics were more of their focus.

First decide if what is more important, academics or lax. If it’s academics then high d1, high d3, high MCLA is the way to go. If it’s lax, you have plenty of choices with the rest of d1, all if d2 and low-mid d3 and a plethora of MCLA. If your interest is:

High D1 (top 20): it’s never too late but times running short. Coaches always keep 1-2 spots open but your chances of getting in are low. The name of the game is connections: if you aren’t from a top lax High School (or less important a top Lax Club) your chances are low. If you look at the rosters of these colleges, almost all of them have come from a powerhouse High School. Since all these schools are also excellent academic schools, you have to have the grades. Don’t think that lax will make exceptions for you. You have to be an exceptional player to be that’s exception and they have already made their commitments. Otherwise, your grades have to be in the ballpark.

Mid D1 - not too late but now is your go time. Good news, with the exception of Dartmouth and Colgate, the academics needed to get in are not as rigorous

Low D1 - academics are usually not a concern. My kids were still getting interest through March of their SENIOR year

D2 - really not on par academically but some great lax programs. I believe they are are able to reach out to you starting June 15 after your sophomore year.

Really High d3 (NESCAC, Swarthmore, washLee [am I missing any others]) - again, academics are a necessity to get in. They used to start making offers June/July after your JUNIOR a year but NESCAC pushed their back to august, presumedly while awaiting the Supreme Court decision. Don’t know what will be this year

Slightly less high d3 (centennial, chris Newport, Salisbury , colorado college, liberty, MAC, ODAC) - some are better schools but there is some great lax programs where academics are not as competitive

Mid-low d3 - tough to be these schools recruiting. Spots are always open. You may have gotten letters accepting you without even talking to you. It lax is your focus and academics not so much? Then you can always find a spot here

MCLA - 3 divisions with D1 being the best (they have tryouts for some as the rosters have kids from great lax high schools). Such a good under appreciated option for those kids where academics are important. How much more fun would it be to play against Clemson, BC, Stanford, Northeastern, VaTech, Florida, BYU, USC, UCLA, Texas, GaTech, The down side is you ain’t playing on national TV and you have to pay your own way. But on the flip side, A LOT less practice. D2 and d3 more like true club but they do travel.

A couple other points:

Don’t despair by the amount of social media commitments since Sep 1. My kids were getting recruited up to the day they set foot on campus. It’s obviously not too late to get recruited. With 80 D1, 75 D2, 250 D3 programs there is a spot if lacrosse is your main priority.

Most lax players seem to go into finance. But if you are STEM focused, don’t tell them you are STEM focused. A lot of schools don’t want someone tied up in labs and missing practices.

Be wary of prospect days. Many are done just to supplement income for coaches. You will get a ton of invites. How to distinguish? If they mention something in their letter that your kid did specifically (not the rando “we saw you at ‘x’ tourney and were ‘really impressed’) or if they contacted your coach who recommended you to go. That being said if your kid really wants to go then by all means, they should go.

Don’t count on a full scholarship. As one coach said they would rather split the scholarship money amongst 12 recruits rather than give someone a full ride.

Enjoy the process but don’t make a lax commitment and sacrifice academics. I’ve seen too many kids go to a “lesser” school just to commit. College lax is just four more years. College itself is a lifetime decision.

Again, just an opinion and trying to be helpful and not anecdotal because there are always exceptions. Everyone has different priorities. Please post if there are any gross errors. I’m sure I missed a lot so please add on because I wish we had better guidance when we went through it. Good luck to everyone.

Thank you for this. Truly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If anybody has attended the IL ID, are their a fair amount coaches there? Or is just an opportunity to be rated by Inside Lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All local fall showcases are not good IMHO. I even felt like the One Percent was underwhelming in terms of coaches and by noon they were all gone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It depends what you want out of it but for me a top 20 program is a combination of both good academics + good lax but that’s not everyone’s priority. Mind you that any kid who goes to any school and gets and education is good in my book. But my (just an opinion) top 20 dual threat academics + lax (with academics > lax in terms of weight)

1) Duke
2) yale
3) notre dame
4) hopkins
5) penn
6) cornell
7) virginia
8) Princeton
9) Michigan
10) gtown
11) UNC
12) Maryland
13) Harvard
14) Brown
15) Army
16) Navy
17) Rutgers
18) BU
19) Penn state
20 Syracuse

Lax is just one of those sports where the best lax schools are also the best academic schools. Not really the case in college football, basketball, hockey or baseball.

Your girl says you as lame as your stank rank.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1) Duke
2) yale
3) notre dame
4) hopkins
5) penn
6) cornell
7) virginia
8) Princeton
9) Michigan
10) gtown
11) UNC
12) Maryland
13) Harvard
14) Brown
15) Army
16) Navy
17) Rutgers
18) BU
19) Penn state
20 Syracuse

Cmon man. Your girl did my stank rank was fine. Post your own rank

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All local fall showcases are not good IMHO. I even felt like the One Percent was underwhelming in terms of coaches and by noon they were all gone.

One percent is a joke and a money grab ...glad you saw it for yourself and I'm sure all others will witness the same unfortunately. Owned and run by team91 and Matt chandick who also is owned by team91. Don't even bother

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One percent is a joke and a money grab ...glad you saw it for yourself and I'm sure all others will witness the same unfortunately. Owned and run by team91 and Matt chandick who also is owned by team91. Don't even bother

The joke is your kid.You keep telling us how good he is but so and so screwed him here or so and so wronged him there. It is ok. <aybe he will get good or not. Get a hobby go outside enjoy the weather learn to play darts. Life is short like you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1) Duke
2) yale
3) notre dame
4) hopkins
5) penn
6) cornell
7) virginia
8) Princeton
9) Michigan
10) gtown
11) UNC
12) Maryland
13) Harvard
14) Brown
15) Army
16) Navy
17) Rutgers
18) BU
19) Penn state
20 Syracuse

Stank rank guy has a point.Watching coach lose the USA game last night was painful. Always with best players but rarely can win. Easy fix then for.So the stank rank is

1)Virginia
2)Maryland
3)Notre Dame
4)Penn State
5)Yale
6)Princeton
7)Cornell
8)Penn
9)Duke
10)Hopkins
11)Michigan
12)Syracuse
13)Army
14)UNC
15)Brown
16)Harvard
17)Denver
18)Navy
19)Georgetown
20)Ohio State

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1) Duke
2) yale
3) notre dame
4) hopkins
5) penn
6) cornell
7) virginia
8) Princeton
9) Michigan
10) gtown
11) UNC
12) Maryland
13) Harvard
14) Brown
15) Army
16) Navy
17) Rutgers
18) BU
19) Penn state
20 Syracuse

Stank rank guy has a point.Watching coach lose the USA game last night was painful. Always with best players but rarely can win. Easy fix then for.So the stank rank is

1)Virginia
2)Maryland
3)Notre Dame
4)Penn State
5)Yale
6)Princeton
7)Cornell
8)Penn
9)Duke
10)Hopkins
11)Michigan
12)Syracuse
13)Army
14)UNC
15)Brown
16)Harvard
17)Denver
18)Navy
19)Georgetown
20)Ohio State

Not sure you read the original posting but the email was lax AND academics (with a slight weight on academics), not lax alone (plenty of those rankings around). Or if you did read the post correctly, then you just plain delusional putting Penn State and Maryland at 4 and 2. Good schools but not better than the schools below it. So what was it: didn’t read the post right or you delusional? But I do like the name Stank Rank.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You asked for additional high academic D3 - Haverford and Kenyon. Just Slightly less so, Denison.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here’s a factual point, no one gets a full athletic scholarship. Not one kid, not even the best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I saw 50%. And if you qualify for need then more

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You asked for additional high academic D3 - Haverford and Kenyon. Just Slightly less so, Denison.

Agree with Haverford. Would put Kenyon and Denison in the next tier but still great schools.

And yes. No one is getting a full scholarship. Scholarships should not be a reason to play lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The LI clubs are really doing a good job of turning out high level commitments. Between Express, 91, Legacy, S2S and Igloo. There must be between 30-40 commitments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I saw 50%. And if you qualify for need then more

It can be more than 50% if your kid qualifies for academic money too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The LI clubs are really doing a good job of turning out high level commitments. Between Express, 91, Legacy, S2S and Igloo. There must be between 30-40 commitments.

And this is still in the "first wave" with a lot more to come. Guess the 2025 group isn't as mediocre as many have suggested.

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard