Originally Posted by Anonymous
most school cut off dates are not hard dates - so a kid born in Oct. or Nov. the parents might have a choice to start them "on time" and be in the younger 25% of the class or hold them back for developmental reason and make them up to 14 months older then a kid who was born in Dec. and the parents started them "early". I think all of this has nothing to do with sports. on the other hand their are kids that finish the 8th grade and then repeat 8th grade at a prep school to get that extra year and and wind up being a year older.

In most schools I think you would have a normal 14 month spread between the oldest and youngest in a grade. I also think that this is a lot of talk about a relatively few kids at least here on LI.

all valid points. However, your belief that this involves relatively few kids here on LI is wrong. In certain school districts, it involves a rather large number of kids. My son has a September birthday and has been one of the youngest kids in his class every year with a few kids being more than an entire year older than him. Considering that the school cut off for most of LI is December 1st, this should not be the case.