Originally Posted by Anonymous
Dad Coach Here. Terrible take. At the youth level (especially below MS) its' really not realistic to have paid non-Dad coaches. Its not common to see an example of a team without 1. If it was realistic to have more paid coaches (there are not enough available) its likely your club dues would be substantially higher to maintain margins. Do you want to see that at the youth levels? Not many do. Having said we've all seen poor examples of Dad coaches. I myself try to be be as fair as I can on playing time and avoid biases. Many coaches do a great job though in this regard. Some unfortunately do not.

Do your homework and try to avoid places with a reputation of these issues. If there is an opportunity to play somewhere where the coaches child is playing a different position as your son you should go that direction if that's so important to you and you are concerned. You are the consumer in the end and choose the best option for you based on what is available. And if you aren't comfortable with any option.... you don't have to play either.

There are entire programs without parent coaches. There are also entire programs with entirely paid female coaching staffs.

I will say that often parent coaches are HARDER on their own kid. I saw that with my son's club team for many years. No one was harder on the coach's son than the coach.