Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
The key question that parents and student-athletes need to ask is whether their Top Ten Academic or Athletic target schools are represented by the coaches attending these recruiting showcases. After all, if your top three target schools are the Universities of A, B, and C while you get noticed by X, Y, and Z College, have you really moved your college search forward?
I agree with Cage but far too often in travel lax the schools that show an interest jump to the top of the players wish list where the student athlete should be targeting schools not the other way around. Once the kids feel the coaches love they move that school to the top of the list. The best advise is don't settle make the school decision as if you will never play another lacrosse game again.
I couldn't disagree more. If you are playing a college sport (especially D1) you will spend just as much time doing lax related activities as you will going to class. A student only has 4 years of eligibility to play! They should try to put themselves in the best situation for academics and athletics. If they are wanted by the coach their chances of playing and enjoying their experience is greater. In addition MOST kids don't know what career path they want and use college to figure it out. There are many great academic universities that they can achieve their goals at. Why not go to one who really wants you there?
Excellent conversation here and clearly, we are going to have to agree to disagree. Let me offer you a couple of thoughts on these last two posts.
  • In my view, the lacrosse recruiting process is somewhat inverted as too many players attend a showcase only to ask afterwards "what colleges saw me play?" This is what contributes to the misconception that the club coaches hold all of the recruiting power.
  • BOTC has been consistent that we believe academic choices are a priority that is followed by athletic matches. Think of it this way : Employers will ask you about your coursework, major, GPA, and internship experience. Rarely will the conversation gravitate to your sports career.
  • Parents that are looking for their children to make their way in life after college via lacrosse are statistically reinforcing a poor career choice.
  • College coaching is a JOB. People filling a JOB often will change their position over a five year period. Choosing a college or university exclusively due to the relationship one might have with the coach is a huge mistake. Should the coach leave, how do you feel about the school?
  • We disagree with the "college is a college" discussion and the conclusion that students can academically thrive anywhere. Choosing your college based on a coach that "wanted you" is a failing strategy. There are 168 hours in a week and at most 24 of those hours can be spent in NCAA-regulated sports activities. That leaves 144 hours per week for "life" outside the lacrosse field.
  • Loving a college just because the coach expressed an interest raises the question of distance from home. How will the student-athlete feel if he/she is 1000+ miles from home and might not be able to make it home before Christmas?
In summary, there are so many more social and individual issues involved in the college choice beyond "getting the offer" that anyone taking the "college is a college approach" could not possibly have been down this road previously.