Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by cltlax
#6 Stony Brook eeking out a 4 goal win over a depleted Hofstra team is not a great result.. doesn’t bode well for the sea-wolves doing much come tourney time

Please stop, Hofstra is not a depleted team. Stony Brook jumped out early, The Dutch fought back and never gave up. It was 9 - 7 in the 3rd (if I recall correctly)... Hofstra was controlling the draw and had the opportunity to pull within 1. Credit SBU Goalie for making at least 3 critical saves ... (Hofstra goalie also played well) . SBU capitalized in a couple of situations to hold on to the gap. They are both solid teams, SBU has the edge because they expect to win, they have confidence. If Hofstra can develop a little more confidence they can win The CAA. Stony Brook is a good team and the better team today. In my opinion (and I am often wrong) SBU not Too 10 right now. Hofstra had opportunities, which means their game plan was solid. Couldn’t tell you if it was SBU goalie or poor shot placement but either way the top tier teams will not let opportunities slip away. In the end, two very solid teams . Congratulations to Stony Brook. Hofstra should build upon a good effort.

Are you sure you were watching women's lacrosse? Last I checked, they don't play quarters...

Typical response on here... right up there with the spelling and grammar police... slightly above "thanks mom".

Back to the game... Good game, both are decent teams bud certainly not in the top tier. SBU most likely finishes around 13-15, Hofstra has a tougher row to [ChillLaxin] and will have beat some solid teams and possibly win the CAA in order to make the Tournament. Stony Brook will probably not be challenged until the NCAA Tournament. It is unlikely that they will be competitive with any Top 10 Teams.

I believe SB can make the final 8, probably because their remaining schedule is very easy and I do not think they will drop out of the top 8 teams in the rankings. This would get them home field and a possible bye in first round. At that point win one game and you are in final 8. I cannot see them getting past that round though becasue you will probably be facing a UNC, Syracuse or Northwestern.

Hofstra obviously will have a much tougher road. The CAA is very competitive this year. Besides traditional powers like JMU and Towson, both Drexel and Elon are playing well and are both top 25 team IMO. I could see the CAA getting an at large bid this year since there are no Ivies and the CAA is exceptionally strong this year. Hofstra may be te fifth best team in CAA right now and will need to prove themselves now that conference play starts

Selection Process:

The championship provides for a field of 29 teams to compete in a single-elimination tournament. Sixteen conference champions qualify automatically; the balance of the field is selected at-large by the NCAA Division I Women’s Lacrosse Committee. The top eight teams in the 29-team bracket for the championship are seeded. The top three teams receive first-round byes.

Stony Brook has zero chance of a first round bye. Hofstra definitely has their work cut out for them. ACC could have 5 at large bids, The Big 10 could have 3 or 4 at large bids, Patriot League probably 1 at large bid , not sure what it means but hearing Penn is now playing.... depending on what happens there will probably be 3 or 4 at large bids up for grabs.