Originally Posted by Anonymous
You keep saying these players are not owed anything but they should be entitled to fair and equal treatment. The petition that was sent to the NCAA I believe pointed out that the spring freshman D1 athletes were the only current NCAA athletes who were not granted another year of eligibility.

What is not fair about getting 4 years (seasons) of eligibility , Like everyone else ?

Read the quoted post again. Every D1 athlete except spring sports freshmen received a 5th year due to covid impact. So, to your point, it would be fair for them to receive what everyone else did.

Pretty sure the NCAA is still going to hold to their 5 year cap unless hardship or extenuating circumstances are involved.

Do you believe that a freshman who plays in every game this regular season, plays in their conference tournament and plays in the NCAA Tournament should still have 4 years of eligibility?

I personally don’t care if they do or they don’t. If the NCAA decides that they will grant it that’s ok by me.

Much different situation than people wanting their daughter to be granted an additional year because “she had her playing time taken away” ..... nobody’s playing time is being taken away ... players earn playing time.

I’m not sure what if anything should be done for players in the Ivy League. They actually had their entire season taken away.

Yes, I do think spring sports freshman who play game 1 through conference and NCAA tournaments should be granted an extra year simply to be consistent with what was done for all fall and winter athletes, and spring athletes last year. The impact on spring freshmen has been just as significant even if they end up with a somewhat normal season. Most missed their entire senior season, fall ball, team bonding, and development during fall practices that were reduced or didn't even happen for some teams. Some freshman, even some top ranked who would be getting playing time, have already decided to redshirt this year because the NCAA did not act prior to the season beginning like they did for fall and winter sports. My kid will be fine either way, and I'm not sure would even use an extra year because she's not planning on a sports related career after college, but I do think the NCAA should be as consistent as possible with their policies. Agree that the "playing time being taken away" argument is not a valid reason.