Correction: Colorado had 0 All-Americans.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why is it that the girls who put up a ton of points against lower level teams get all this hype and press? I know you can only play your schedule but a top HS team would give some of these teams a run for their money. You put in 8-10 goals and some assists against UNC, Cuse Northwestern then I can understand but the stat padding against clearly inferior teams is ridiculous.

I agree with this. Put up some points vs. a top 10 team, and I'm impressed, otherwise nobody cares, and anyone who follows the sport is aware of the shenanigans. I believe formula is used to rank players come time for AA nods based on strength of schedule. This garbage has been going on since HS!

Below is the 2019 Final Top 20 and How man All-Americans each team had.

1 - Maryland ----------- 7
2 - Boston College--- 4
3 - North Carolina---- 4
4 - Northwestern------ 3
5 - Syracuse------------ 1
6 - Princeton------------ 3
7 - Virginia--------------- 2
8 - Denver--------------- 2
9 - Notre Dame-------- 3
10 - Loyola--------------- 4
11 - Michigan------------ 0
12 - Stony Brook------- 1
13 - Florida-------------- 4
14 - Penn ---------------- 2
15 - JMU ----------------- 1
16 - Navy ---------------- 1
17 - USC ----------------- 1
18 - Georgetown------- 1
19 - Colorado------------ 0
20 - Dartmouth---------- 1

The following Teams were not ranked in the Top 20 at the end of the season but each had an All-American.

Duke, Hofstra and Towson.

I am not aware of any formula that is used but it certainly appears that how the Team performs plays a large roll in determining who is selected for All-American. I would also bet that the Top 10 Teams also have the toughest schedules.

A few things jump out at me... Michigan ranked 11th has no AA's. Loyola and Florida each have 4 AA's which is more than many teams that were better than them.