Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.
I was talked by to another club lacrosse parent about the colleges his 2019 daughter was looking at this past summer. My daughter is a 2022.
I asked him about “ABC College” and he said that his daughter didn’t fit “the profile”. The profile was that this school liked taller girls.
Do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?
Ever since I have always noticed the height of the players and most rosters don’t carry a majority of one height over another. What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?

Forgive me if this the wrong forum but I have a question that’s a bit off topic.
It’s about recruiting.
I was talked by to another club lacrosse parent about the colleges his 2019 daughter was looking at this past summer. My daughter is a 2022.
I asked him about “ABC College” and he said that his daughter didn’t fit “the profile”. The profile was that this school liked taller girls.
Do colleges/universities have unsaid physical profiles for their teams?
Ever since I have always noticed the height of the players and most rosters don’t carry a majority of one height over another. What are some of the other physical traits that schools may look at in a player?

Here are the top Long Island players from the 15, 16, 17 and 18 Classes. (Yes, I know there are many good players.. but by most accounts these are the top in each class) If a coach is excluding due to hight (or lack thereof) they are only hurting themselves.

15's
Niki Ortega - Notre Dame - 5-6
Sam Apuzzo - Boston College - 5-6
Sydney Pirecca - Florida - 5-2
Nicole Levy - Syracuse - 5-2
Clair Quinn - Northwestern - 5-10
Lindsey Ronbeck - Florida 5-4

16's
Kerrigan Miller - USC - 5-5
Kaelie Huff - USC - 5-6
Niki Sliwack - Maryland - 5-4
Katie Hoeg - UNC - 5-11
Cara Trombetta - Florida 5-4
Erin Barry - Penn - 5-6
Taryn Ohlmiller - Stony Brook - 5-7

17's
Jamie Ortega - UNC - 5-5
Kelsey Huff - USC - 5-4
Shannon Kavanagh - Florida - 5-7
Sophia Triandafilis - Penn State - 5-7
Olivia Smith - Penn - 5-5
Kate Katowski - UNC - 5-6

18's
Madison Rielly - Maryland - 5-5
Courtney Weeks - Boston College - 5-5
Cassidy Weeks - Boston College - 5-5
Shannon Berry - Princeton - 5-5
Emerson Cabrera - Florida - 5-7
Jen Medjid - Boston College - 5-4

BTW , KO who is considered by many to be the best college player in the country is all of 5'3". ( I bet UVA and ND wish they had her)
Shayla Pirecca 5'4". Shelby Fredricks who kills it on the Draw is 5'6".

athleticism , speed, quickness , aggressiveness , effort, energy , attitude , skill, coachablity, versatility all play a greater roll in the recruiting process than does hight.

All of those girls were recruited by the top programs in the country and only a few would be considered tall.

not sure how tall your daughter is but wanted you to see some facts rather than listen to one persons opinion.

Good luck to your daughter. Hit the books and have here work on her skill and athleticism. Hustle.

Great post. As a parent of a "vertically challenged" daughter who is attending a very good lax school, you are right on the money. Many people told her (and me) that she couldn't get there. And yet there she is. I would say her biggest attribute in addition to some of those you mentioned, and often overlooked by the casual observer, but not the coaches, is lax IQ. Call it what you want, being in the right place at the right time, understanding spacing, making the players around you better by clearing out or screening effectively... those things get you on the field if you also have some of those other physical attributes. You don't have to be 5'8" to do those things well.

Now trolls go ahead and start attacking. Yes I'm proud of my daughter. I hope all of you are proud of yours as well. The reality is it isn't a zero sum game. You don't have to tear others down to lift yourself up. I'm proud of all the hardworking lax girls out there that make it a great game to play and watch.

Wow, 2 of the best posts I have ever seen in this board! Thank you both for your insight it is very much appreciated. (My daughter is not tall either) and I appreciate your input.

Yes, I'm actually kind of impressed. No trash talking and no putting down others.
I would also like to point out to the original poster that there are other factors apart from height and size. They said they were getting recruiting advice from the parent of a 2019 who was looking this past summer. Well, for the 2019's - if they are still looking at the top tier schools - they may want to adjust their expectations. Either that or the schools they are looking at could pretty well be done and the coach was just looking for "a tall draw middie" and that parent misunderstood that conversation. As someone had pointed out earlier - good things come in different sized packages.