The competition has caught up with the Crabs! They no longer have a monopoly on most of the best players in the area anymore. There are more good players, more holdbacks for everyone, more good programs and more good coaches. Was a great program to be a part of in the U13 and U15 days. May still be a great program, but their rampant run with the holdbacks and grade based model altered their perception. However, all of the elite programs in the Baltimore / DC area now have numerous holdbacks, so probably an equal playing field these days among the top / elite programs.

My son is a 2018 that was a U13 Crab. He did not make the U15 team the following year, but his one year with the program was a great experience. It was a great team that performed at a very high level on the field and were great kids off the field. Most importantly my son competed with and against some of the top kids / top teams in the country at a early age and it laid the foundation for him becoming the player he is today. He will always cherish that one season with the Crabs at U13.

As of today, 16 of the 21 kids that were on that team are committed to play D1 lacrosse. Another kid is a D1 golfer, but is a top 50 laxer as well. I am pretty sure that three of the remaining four will be playing college lacrosse as well. Very impressive that such a high percentage of kids on a team comprised of 6th and 7th graders would continue playing lacrosse in college at the likes of UNC, UVA, MD, Penn, PSU, Navy, Loyola, Towson, Georgetown, Furman, High Point, Air Force, Jacksonville, and Mt St Mary's. At the end of that season the coaches told the kids they would all be playing lacrosse in college - unbelievably close to the truth!

As the parent of a on age, public school kid I despise the pre-first / holdback advantage (but it works). I fondly recall the good old days of U13 / U15 with the emphasis of grooming good players, becoming a good team, and ultimately winning tournaments against top competition.

The emphasis on the recruiting process during the high school years tarnishes the experience!

If your are good enough they will find you or you will find them!

Enjoy it - it goes quickly and remember they are just kids!