BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts390,003
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 286 of 333 1 2 284 285 286 287 288 332 333
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are we talking about the Gilman coach?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Is the AD responsible for attending league movement meetings? Determining player eligibility? Game forfeits across sports? Scheduling conference games, times? All game times "TBD" for JC. All sports. Scheduling, paying referees? Refs showed up at wrong time or not at all? Updating athletic website? No updates 2 years. For all sports.

Admin wants a team to compete in the A and provides C level support. And that's an insult to C schools. Pretty obvious the AD has been sleeping on the job.

Youre onto something valid here....but the other side of this coin....when you negotiate conditions for a leadership job, you're negotiating for the resources you need to be successful. Including support personnel. Something I see is that people who are hyper talented in their "skill" tend to ignore this... either they believe they can do it all, or they assume they can add positions later (no leverage to do so) , or they blow it off and assume they'll figure it out later.

Unless you can tell me the JC coach negotiated for these kinds of specific support....and then the school broke that agreement...I'm inclined to believe he didn't think he needed to secure these resources...fatal mistake in a job like this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gilman has to recognize they need to fire the coach. Rumored Holman’s bailed or has been told he’s not needed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jc AD helped run Rick B out at SP. enough said guy will protect hoops at any cost.

Big week for jc administration. Big plan with interviewing Gilman 4th asst coach and team 91 super lax bro to be new coach. U can’t make this [Censored] up. Don’t worry fall back plan is the fired Loyola freshman coach. #heyKidCanUBreathInMySteeringWheel

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jc AD helped run Rick B out at SP. enough said guy will protect hoops at any cost.

Big week for jc administration. Big plan with interviewing Gilman 4th asst coach and team 91 super lax bro to be new coach. U can’t make this [Censored] up. Don’t worry fall back plan is the fired Loyola freshman coach. #heyKidCanUBreathInMySteeringWheel

Coach. let it go. Time to accept you your fate. You just werent up to task at JC, Get em next time.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are we talking about the Gilman coach?

Gilman coach is soon to be looking for job. Team and parents are really upset about progress of team. Gilman is a shell of itself from years ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they can't give the new lax coach control of scholarships, field use for camps/tourneys, and some school support staff, they don't want to compete. But not sure why this would change now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rick B should have been gone 5 years earlier. His same tired weave Offense and predictable D were giving him a losing record every year. So AD was right about that one too.

Sorry you and Rick are having troubles with AD and his decisions, do better and you can avoid this next time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they can't give the new lax coach control of scholarships, field use for camps/tourneys, and some school support staff, they don't want to compete. But not sure why this would change now.

A coach who understands program success would demand these things or walk. You succeed as a staff and you fail alone.

So what if hoops is a priority. They hardly use the same facilities and the seasons don't overlap. Use the hoops support staff for lax. Duh.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happened to the Baltimore teams at the New Balance All America tournament?
They looked bad

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They looked bad
Scroll up. It’s what happens when a club coach of a certain club is in charge.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need blind tryouts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They looked bad

do not agree, borrowing from another poster, Nike is getting the better players. At this time in the first year as rebranded NB it was a "B" tournament at the end of the summer season and stretched out over 5 days. Money making machine! The best where not all at NB and this will always be an issue as the boys will need to decide if they do both or one of them and at this point Nike is the chosen one even in the middle of the summer season on the back end of 4th of July. If they can get the best of the best at both then it doesn't matter. Politics and egos will make that hard to accomplish.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They looked bad

do not agree, borrowing from another poster, Nike is getting the better players. At this time in the first year as rebranded NB it was a "B" tournament at the end of the summer season and stretched out over 5 days. Money making machine! The best where not all at NB and this will always be an issue as the boys will need to decide if they do both or one of them and at this point Nike is the chosen one even in the middle of the summer season on the back end of 4th of July. If they can get the best of the best at both then it doesn't matter. Politics and egos will make that hard to accomplish.

Perhaps it’s ok if it’s a B tournament. Then the buys who don’t tropically get all the limelight will have a chance to shine a little.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They looked bad

Perhaps it’s ok if it’s a B tournament. Then the buys who don’t tropically get all the limelight will have a chance to shine a little.

B tournaments are much more fun.The elite thing gets old quick and the B tournaments have a carnival atmosphere. D3 and D2 is a lot more fun as is club at college. D1 snobs are boring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They looked bad

B tournaments are much more fun.The elite thing gets old quick and the B tournaments have a carnival atmosphere. D3 and D2 is a lot more fun as is club at college. D1 snobs are boring.

Now that is a good excuse to justify not being up to the D1 level. Iron sharpens iron

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need blind tryouts

LOL !! Defeats the whole purpose of these events.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Future of the Gilman program is bleak! The hiring of the current coach has ended any chance of Gilman ever being relevant again. MSJ, Gilman, StP, Severn and JC should move to B conference. Constant losing is not good for a schools overall reputation, student moral, and attracting top well rounded males!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gilman student body is effeminate similar to the headmaster.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gilman student body is effeminate similar to the headmaster.

What a spiral this one proud school was. Shows what only a few years can do to a school . Education has stopped being about real educating, more about teaching what we think you should be taught.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's all on the table.

Doubt it's Deemer, but great opportunity for someone who wants to run a side business like that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those of you with D1 players in school, how are the politics? I'm seeing lots of really good players transferring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those of you with D1 players in school, how are the politics? I'm seeing lots of really good players transferring.
Personal experience, the politics are gone. It’s about winning, not who your parents are, not how much money they can throw at a program or what strings can be pulled. It’s about winning. And you learn quickly that just because you were a phenom in high school doesn’t mean you are one in college. Most of the kids transferring in my opinion were hot topics in high school and figured they would be at the next level as well. That doesn’t transfer to college. The kids I know transferring aimed too high and realize now they will never play where they are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's all on the table.

Doubt it's Deemer, but great opportunity for someone who wants to run a side business like that

Agree. Whoever it is has to know what they are getting in to.
Gotta be high energy and a good recruiter.
There are only 11 teams in the A league so I would expect it to get some looks.
JC will continue to take some lumps next year, but the underclasses are good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JC is bringing in the guy who runs the box for Gilman.
That’s all that applied.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That’s all that applied.

Thats not going to end well !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That’s all that applied.

I think the listing is still open. It's posted on their website.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there anyone out there who has knowledge of who is on the search committee for the JC position

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thoughts on kids moving clubs their last year of club lacrosse. Hear rumors of a new club team forming also. Worthwhile for a 2025 to move to new team for their last year of club?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That’s all that applied.

Has this guy ever even been a head coach or a coordinator at either the college or hs level? I didn’t recognize the name where did he play. I did hear his last head coaching gig was the 2028 team 91 team that didn’t win a game in the c division and was eventually removed. This is the miaa a conference job right?

Was this the plan of the AD?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there anyone out there who has knowledge of who is on the search committee for the JC position

No committee. Just the AD and president.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was hoping to solicit some feedback from out-of-state families that has a son that goes to an MIAA school. My son plays club lacrosse in Maryland and is in middle school, we have had some conversations with some coaches about him attending school there for High School to play lacrosse. Have you found it worth if for him for lacrosse (obviously they are all amazing schools to attend academically and socially for the kids)? Our local HS is not a lacrosse powerhouse, so this is an attractive option for lacrosse for our family. We are obviously far away from knowing if he can develop into a player that can play at the next level, but I fear he won't have that opportunity if he is playing locally for a school that does not have a lot of lacrosse athletes. I would also love any feedback if your son lives on campus, we do not want to move to Maryland, so that would be our only option. You only get so many years with your kids, does the chance of playing at the next level outweigh not having your son at home all of the time? I am ignoring the financial implications at this time as I am aware of the cost (which is insane but it is what it is).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont even know who the box coach was at Gilman? What makes him qualified and who is he

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thoughts on kids moving clubs their last year of club lacrosse. Hear rumors of a new club team forming also. Worthwhile for a 2025 to move to new team for their last year of club?
Your Sept 1 is less than a month away. Stay put.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was hoping to solicit some feedback from out-of-state families that has a son that goes to an MIAA school. My son plays club lacrosse in Maryland and is in middle school, we have had some conversations with some coaches about him attending school there for High School to play lacrosse. Have you found it worth if for him for lacrosse (obviously they are all amazing schools to attend academically and socially for the kids)? Our local HS is not a lacrosse powerhouse, so this is an attractive option for lacrosse for our family. We are obviously far away from knowing if he can develop into a player that can play at the next level, but I fear he won't have that opportunity if he is playing locally for a school that does not have a lot of lacrosse athletes. I would also love any feedback if your son lives on campus, we do not want to move to Maryland, so that would be our only option. You only get so many years with your kids, does the chance of playing at the next level outweigh not having your son at home all of the time? I am ignoring the financial implications at this time as I am aware of the cost (which is insane but it is what it is).

The only option for you would appear to be BL. McDonogh has boarding but it's only during the week I believe. If you're considering sending your kid to Baltimore for lax, you might want to look at the NE boarding schools in the founders league...lax is on par with the MIAA and all the schools are boarding schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Academically it is very good, Socially could go either way, some nice boys/girls and some not so nice boys/girls. McD has activities on campus most weekends , surrounding area isnt the greatest. Many of their boarders at McD dont live that far away, just dont want their kids to commute for sports and school. Many go home on weekend. BL all boys( recent boarding) is a campus away from most and not that big. It just started boarding....

If you son really wants to play at a High Level and has the drive and motivation and will go the extra mile with workouts, shooting , etc, then i would guess it is a good option if you dont mind missing him . Lots of people board their kids in HS. I would never, but many would . You only have one shot with them in HS. I personally would rather them be at home but wouldn't blame anyone who bordered their child.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only option for you would appear to be BL. McDonogh has boarding but it's only during the week I believe. If you're considering sending your kid to Baltimore for lax, you might want to look at the NE boarding schools in the founders league...lax is on par with the MIAA and all the schools are boarding schools.

Wait to see what happens at JC. See if their president lets the lax team use the dorms there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everyone here will detest my comments, which is great in and of itself. Here goes....

This board is full of dads (like myself) who pay hefty tuitions for their kids to attend some pretty great schools. So we're biased. I've played HS, college club, and mens league lax, and landed 3 college degrees in the process, and if you're considering spending money on a lax school (HS or college), it had better pass the "broken leg test" for you and your son. The dads who are commenting who have actually done their job as fathers, have evaluated for this along the way, through HS (for some kids, their choice of HS was made before they were born). And you need to spend enough time on the campuses / with teachers / with students (as others say, we're really talking about McDonogh and Boys Latin) to evaluate "will my kid enjoy and benefit from school here, even if he breaks a leg in Week 1 of the season, and can't play for another full year?"

High school and the first 1-2 years of college can be turbulent times for young men and if the thing they love (lax) is stripped away from them for some reason (academics, injuries, coaching politics, kid lost a step in the off season, etc), he needs to be somewhere where he is NOT MISERABLE. Yeah, I know, all the Landon and GP and CHC and BL and Spalding dads on here will say "Oh those things will never happen to my son." Sure.

So, spend some time with it. Even just those two schools (McD and BL) are very different in terms of culture, educational expectations, class sizes, girls, etc. Another thing to consider is that at most of the MD private schools, about 25% of kids hold about 75% of the sports rosters, so it would be normal for you to talk to coaches of other sports your son may play. And again "I'm sure this will never happen to any of the sons of the BOTC dads but" if for some reason or some level, lax is a no-go, and your kid is an "athlete" in terms of his identity, he better have another sports coach at his school that he loves and respects.

Lastly, academics matter "almost" all the time in terms of admittance. There's a long line of dads (who used to be) on this page who were sure their former HS lax domination would translate into their kids getting into these private schools. But that is not a given. Unless your kid is a nationwide-known-lax prodigy OR you're a major donor to the school where your kid's applying, his performance in the classroom so far, matters. For BL, the focus is really, is your kid going to be a distraction in the classroom, does he need unknown extra resources, and is he going to be an academic headache for his coaches. If your son's not already considering this "minimum standard," and he wants to play in college, he needs to get this through his head immediately, because this standard holds for college as well. For McDonogh, the standards are higher (on paper and in terms of "do the students comply with teachers and do the work") but I'm not convinced one group of kids is fundamentally smarter than the other. They are different brands of education.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everyone here will detest my comments, which is great in and of itself. Here goes....

This board is full of dads (like myself) who pay hefty tuitions for their kids to attend some pretty great schools. So we're biased. I've played HS, college club, and mens league lax, and landed 3 college degrees in the process, and if you're considering spending money on a lax school (HS or college), it had better pass the "broken leg test" for you and your son. The dads who are commenting who have actually done their job as fathers, have evaluated for this along the way, through HS (for some kids, their choice of HS was made before they were born). And you need to spend enough time on the campuses / with teachers / with students (as others say, we're really talking about McDonogh and Boys Latin) to evaluate "will my kid enjoy and benefit from school here, even if he breaks a leg in Week 1 of the season, and can't play for another full year?"

High school and the first 1-2 years of college can be turbulent times for young men and if the thing they love (lax) is stripped away from them for some reason (academics, injuries, coaching politics, kid lost a step in the off season, etc), he needs to be somewhere where he is NOT MISERABLE. Yeah, I know, all the Landon and GP and CHC and BL and Spalding dads on here will say "Oh those things will never happen to my son." Sure.

So, spend some time with it. Even just those two schools (McD and BL) are very different in terms of culture, educational expectations, class sizes, girls, etc. Another thing to consider is that at most of the MD private schools, about 25% of kids hold about 75% of the sports rosters, so it would be normal for you to talk to coaches of other sports your son may play. And again "I'm sure this will never happen to any of the sons of the BOTC dads but" if for some reason or some level, lax is a no-go, and your kid is an "athlete" in terms of his identity, he better have another sports coach at his school that he loves and respects.

Lastly, academics matter "almost" all the time in terms of admittance. There's a long line of dads (who used to be) on this page who were sure their former HS lax domination would translate into their kids getting into these private schools. But that is not a given. Unless your kid is a nationwide-known-lax prodigy OR you're a major donor to the school where your kid's applying, his performance in the classroom so far, matters. For BL, the focus is really, is your kid going to be a distraction in the classroom, does he need unknown extra resources, and is he going to be an academic headache for his coaches. If your son's not already considering this "minimum standard," and he wants to play in college, he needs to get this through his head immediately, because this standard holds for college as well. For McDonogh, the standards are higher (on paper and in terms of "do the students comply with teachers and do the work") but I'm not convinced one group of kids is fundamentally smarter than the other. They are different brands of education.

nailed it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Academically it is very good, Socially could go either way, some nice boys/girls and some not so nice boys/girls. McD has activities on campus most weekends , surrounding area isnt the greatest. Many of their boarders at McD dont live that far away, just dont want their kids to commute for sports and school. Many go home on weekend. BL all boys( recent boarding) is a campus away from most and not that big. It just started boarding....

If you son really wants to play at a High Level and has the drive and motivation and will go the extra mile with workouts, shooting , etc, then i would guess it is a good option if you dont mind missing him . Lots of people board their kids in HS. I would never, but many would . You only have one shot with them in HS. I personally would rather them be at home but wouldn't blame anyone who bordered their child.

The area around McDonogh isn't the greatest? BL has a small campus away from most? with are you even talking about? Owings Mills is fine, and BL has a huge campus on both sides of Lake Ave. that couldn't be more centrally located in the MIAA-A if it tried.

Like Reply Quote
Page 286 of 333 1 2 284 285 286 287 288 332 333
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard