BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,740
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 33 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 32 33
Re: Girls 2020 - 9th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very important to attend the Clinics for the specific schools your daughter is most interested in and has already visited.
She learns more and the coaches get to see more.
Hold tight, is my best advice. Looks good for her that she will play this sport in college if that is her goal...With that, now take the space and a little time to let her mind and things evolve and that is how she will end up in the right place for her future.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
To change the subject a little, my 2020 daughter visited a few schools December and January. The visits were real visits, requested by schools. The visits were anywhere between 4-8 hours and went well, but to date there haven't been any offers. When I look at the schools she visited most of them are still filling out their 2019 rosters, and the schools did mention they would get back to us when they sorted out their recruits. Each school Said she was high on their list, but I know they'll say things like that anyway. I know that if she was the #1 or #2 choice obviously she'd have gotten a response, but typically how long before schools come back, or is it most likely something that will need to be revisited in the spring? Please try to answer question without sarcasm, I'm just trying to get a feel for the process. Thanks

Ask more questions next time , things like " where am I on your recruiting list" etc so you know better where you stand.Not sure if you play for a club but would not hurt to have your club coach/director reach out and see what they are thinking.

For the school that my daughter ultimately chose, it was a year. They were the first to request a visit, with seven schools visited in the middle, then a year later, they were the last. Be patient.

My daughter is a 2020 also. We visited about 6 schools. Her top 3 picks and a few in her next "group". Several made offers on 2nd visits and a few said they wanted to see her play in the spring, but they said she was at the top of their list. Ultimately she picked a school that she really wanted & they really wanted her. In the end she will know when it's the right for her and you will know if it fits your budget. Good luck!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To change the subject a little, my 2020 daughter visited a few schools December and January. The visits were real visits, requested by schools. The visits were anywhere between 4-8 hours and went well, but to date there haven't been any offers. When I look at the schools she visited most of them are still filling out their 2019 rosters, and the schools did mention they would get back to us when they sorted out their recruits. Each school Said she was high on their list, but I know they'll say things like that anyway. I know that if she was the #1 or #2 choice obviously she'd have gotten a response, but typically how long before schools come back, or is it most likely something that will need to be revisited in the spring? Please try to answer question without sarcasm, I'm just trying to get a feel for the process. Thanks

If your daughter is interested in these schools, she should be emailing them regularly to stay in touch and show interest if she is not already doing so. She can always request a call to ask the coaches where she stands with them, and find out where the program is with their 2020 class. A coach or club recruiting director can help with that.

My daughter started having calls, scheduling some visits, etc. at the end of the summer before 9th grade. The process varied for each school. With one school, the timeline was 6 months from first contact, prospect day, coach seeing her play, second visit which then ended in an offer. Another school was quicker and ready to make an offer after a two day visit because they knew other schools were about to offer.

Hope that helps...there is still a lot of time left for 2020s at most schools, and even the top ranked schools will probably add a few 2020s during the summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All programs are varied in timelines. Some will say I will never recruit a freshman , some will take their time , some will move in fast . Quite frankly mine starters get hits in late summer going into freshman year and we were glad they weren't in a rush. We wanted to see what else came down the pike. Unless it's the school of her dreams or close hang tight and see what develops. Your making a decision of a lifetime for a 15 year old. It's a fun time!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Recruitment of athletes is just like admissions for regular kids. The 90 gpa student waits for an answer while the school hopes that they find a 98 gpa'er to take their spot. For most of our kids who are very good players you will learn you have to be patient. Stay in the coaches face. If you are realistic it usually works out. Remember its a business for these coaches. They are all trying to win to keep their jobs. They are hoping the next Shannon falls into their lap if she doesn't, then our kids have a chance.

The flip side to this is parents that jump at the first offer. History shows that isn't good either

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Recruitment of athletes is just like admissions for regular kids. The 90 gpa student waits for an answer while the school hopes that they find a 98 gpa'er to take their spot. For most of our kids who are very good players you will learn you have to be patient. Stay in the coaches face. If you are realistic it usually works out. Remember its a business for these coaches. They are all trying to win to keep their jobs. They are hoping the next Shannon falls into their lap if she doesn't, then our kids have a chance.

The flip side to this is parents that jump at the first offer. History shows that isn't good either

Where is that history data?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where is that history data?

Slow offers often means the coach is waiting for a potential better athlete or better fit. Same thing applies to kids who don't play a sport. They could be denied early admission and the school could wait for a potential smarter kid. If a smarter kid or a better athlete doesn't come along both get in. If academics are your thing you usually get in day 1 with a 105 average. If lax is your thing and your kid is Shannon 2.0 you get an immediate offer. most kids don't fall into either of those categories so they wait on pins and needles

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nice to see helpful information posted on this forum for once. Everyone's experience will be different with recruitment, it's nice to hear how other girls were approached, and how the process is going. A lot of kids and parents feel this is a race, but if you're daughter is in 9th grade like mine is now there's no hurry.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nice to see helpful information posted on this forum for once. Everyone's experience will be different with recruitment, it's nice to hear how other girls were approached, and how the process is going. A lot of kids and parents feel this is a race, but if you're daughter is in 9th grade like mine is now there's no hurry.

But there is a rush. The scholarships are what they are and once the money is all doled out your daughter could become one of the kids who "commits" with no athletic offer. Don't think that every kid listed as committed to schools on the travel clubs websites actually get money. Those lists are just where the kids ultimately decide to go. Just like D3 kids committing. All it means is they have an offer or agreement with the coach that they have a roster spot and not a tryout. Not every kid gets money especially as rosters continue to expand

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But there is a rush. The scholarships are what they are and once the money is all doled out your daughter could become one of the kids who "commits" with no athletic offer. Don't think that every kid listed as committed to schools on the travel clubs websites actually get money. Those lists are just where the kids ultimately decide to go. Just like D3 kids committing. All it means is they have an offer or agreement with the coach that they have a roster spot and not a tryout. Not every kid gets money especially as rosters continue to expand

The money in most cases is pretty small anyway. The big payoff is your kid getting into a better academic institution than they otherwise could. Do you want your kid going to Duke w no money, or Adelphi w 5-10k?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was there a question about scholarship money? Who said anything about every kid listed on a travel website getting an athletic scholarship? Why such a pessimistic attitude.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was there a question about scholarship money? Who said anything about every kid listed on a travel website getting an athletic scholarship? Why such a pessimistic attitude.

Well then why the [lacrosse] are we talking about 9th graders committing? 9th graders aren't verbaling for no cash. They are committing because there is a athletic financial offer extended. Give me a break.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well then why the [lacrosse] are we talking about 9th graders committing? 9th graders aren't verbaling for no cash. They are committing because there is a athletic financial offer extended. Give me a break.

"once the money is all doled out your daughter could become one of the kids who "commits" with no athletic offer." --- You make it sound like a disease. I'll take my kid getting no athletic money at a top 15 academic school over your Sally getting her 10k at Rocks for Jocks U.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people talk with forked tongues. You parade your kid up and down the east coast since kindergarten but now when there aren't offers, it was about the experience and not getting a D1 scholarship.... ok

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"once the money is all doled out your daughter could become one of the kids who "commits" with no athletic offer." --- You make it sound like a disease. I'll take my kid getting no athletic money at a top 15 academic school over your Sally getting her 10k at Rocks for Jocks U.

Is there a cap of 10K on athletic scholarships?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK why don't u tell us about your amazing daughter. typical private tuition 40k. Typical lax scholarship 25%. R there 50%+ Yeah a few. Most no. So 10k typical, particularly when factoring in state school tuitions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, but fully funded programs have 12 scholarships (12.6 on the men's side) to divvy up between ~40 players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people talk with forked tongues. You parade your kid up and down the east coast since kindergarten but now when there aren't offers, it was about the experience and not getting a D1 scholarship.... ok

nailed it..love the parents who drop all of this $$ and tell you that they only doing cause Susie wants to play lax with her friends and that its not about college offers....but when they first started they drank the travel Kool-Aid from directors that the only way to college field was thru travel lax....but tune changes when they realize that their 'C" team daughter is not getting it done...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

many early commits are NOT getting money, but are willing to verbal just to get a seat at the school they want

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

many early commits are NOT getting money, but are willing to verbal just to get a seat at the school they want

We have been through the process a few times already. I have never heard of a 9th grader verbaling with no hope of cash. 11th graders yes, but not 8th and 9th graders. Does anyone know someone who has done this?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Which is great ... Kid/family that decides that no money at Stanford is better than money at a lesser academic school is making a smart decision.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BTW ... a Tewaaraton finalist last year had no athletic money ... Surprise!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to the Topgun and YJ websites you will see that almost all of the 20 or so early commits are going to kick [lacrosse] schools or kick [lacrosse] programs. Good for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is so true. I find it disgusting how parents pimp out their kids all summer, paying more then they will ever receive in athletic scholarship. It's all to stroke the parents ego.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The money in most cases is pretty small anyway. The big payoff is your kid getting into a better academic institution than they otherwise could. Do you want your kid going to Duke w no money, or Adelphi w 5-10k?

That's just not realistic , these kids that are committing early are getting 50 percent of cost of attendance and more. Many are also using lax to get into schools they may not otherwise .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's just not realistic , these kids that are committing early are getting 50 percent of cost of attendance and more. Many are also using lax to get into schools they may not otherwise .

please. a few are. most r not. congrats if yours is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Syracuse is rostering 44 outstanding young ladies while only having 12 scholarships that's about .27 award on average could some get .5? maybe but chances are not as an 8th or 9th grader

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Syracuse is rostering 44 outstanding young ladies while only having 12 scholarships that's about .27 award on average could some get .5? maybe but chances are not as an 8th or 9th grader

What makes you think for 1/2 a second that all kids are getting equal amounts of scholarship money? "Top" kids get far more $ then "down the list" kids. If you think everyone is getting the same amount of money you're wrong. Some kids just want to be on a team and are happy to be there with no athletic money. It is definitely not equal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True, Syracuse is NOT giving an 8th grader 50% sorry! Syracuse gives money to the girls who have earned starting positions on the team and re-evaluates scholarships each year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Education, Education, Education, Education, Education, Education!

The "Slot" is extremely valuable.

Many of the best universities in the country also happen to field some of the best lacrosse programs in the the nation.

The 11 schools listed below are the only schools that have finished the season ranked in the Top 20 in each of the past five years. The number listed is the universities 2017 academic rank. Eight of the Top 20 Universities in the country also have Top 20 Lacrosse Programs.

1 - Princeton
8 - Penn
8 - Duke
12 - Northwestern
15 - Notre Dame
24 - University of Virginia
30 - University of North Carolina
50 - Penn State University
50 - University of Florida
60 - University of Maryland
60 - Syracuse University

In addition to the above:

10 - Johns Hopkins University
31 - Boston College

Have both finished the season ranked in the Top 20 four of the past five years.

5 - Stanford
20 - Georgetown

Each were ranked in the Top 20 in three of the past five years.

23 - Southern California

Will more than likely be a perennial Top 20 program.

It is about the education and the admissions slot, not simply the amount of the athletic scholarship.

That being said, with the exception of the IVY's the top recruits at these schools can receive significant athletic money. If you are not one of the top recruits you can still receive a decent athletic scholarship. Some of the Universities listed especially the IVY's have very strong need based aid packages.

Due to generous need based aid packages some girls may opt not to accept an athletic scholarship because they will receive more money in the form of need based aid.

Very good students can receive academic scholarships as well, especially if the choose to attend a slightly less competitive university.

The State Schools can make it very affordable for their in-state recruits.

The top recruits in the country do in fact receive significant athletic money. How do you know if you are a top recruit? Easy, take a look at the schools that are making offers, when they are making the offer and what the offer is. If a number of the schools listed are recruiting and offering when the student is in the 9th grade you are a top recruit.

Athletes who are not considered to be the top recruits in the country can still receive significant athletic money if they are the top recruit at the school they choose to commit to. For example, A player may be offered 70 - 75% by a particular school but that same player may not have had a single offer from UNC, MD, PSU, Syracuse, Penn, Princeton, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Duke, Virginia or Florida.

There is a lot more money out there than many people realize. However, for many players and their families it is about the education.

Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Cal - Berkley, University of Michigan, Army, Navy, William and Mary, Boston University, Lehigh, Villanova, Etc... All have programs and all have the ability to help with admissions.

Good luck to all, there is a fit for everyone. Enjoy the ride.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True, Syracuse is NOT giving an 8th grader 50% sorry! Syracuse gives money to the girls who have earned starting positions on the team and re-evaluates scholarships each year.

That's why you always get a few early commits going to No Name U, because those schools pony up bigger up front athletic award

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many of the best universities in the country also happen to field some of the best lacrosse programs in the the nation.

The 11 schools listed below are the only schools that have finished the season ranked in the Top 20 in each of the past five years. The number listed is the universities 2017 academic rank. Eight of the Top 20 Universities in the country also have Top 20 Lacrosse Programs.

1 - Princeton
8 - Penn
8 - Duke
12 - Northwestern
15 - Notre Dame
60 - Syracuse University

31 - Boston College

5 - Stanford
20 - Georgetown

23 - Southern California

It is about the education and the admissions slot, not simply the amount of the athletic scholarship.

That being said, with the exception of the IVY's the top recruits at these schools can receive significant athletic money. If you are not one of the top recruits you can still receive a decent athletic scholarship. Some of the Universities listed especially the IVY's have very strong need based aid packages.

Due to generous need based aid packages some girls may opt not to accept an athletic scholarship because they will receive more money in the form of need based aid.

Very good students can receive academic scholarships as well, especially if the choose to attend a slightly less competitive university.

The top recruits in the country do in fact receive significant athletic money. How do you know if you are a top recruit? Easy, take a look at the schools that are making offers, when they are making the offer and what the offer is. If a number of the schools listed are recruiting and offering when the student is in the 9th grade you are a top recruit.

Athletes who are not considered to be the top recruits in the country can still receive significant athletic money if they are the top recruit at the school they choose to commit to. For example, A player may be offered 70 - 75% by a particular school but that same player may not have had a single offer from UNC, MD, PSU, Syracuse, Penn, Princeton, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Duke, Virginia or Florida.

There is a lot more money out there than many people realize. However, for many players and their families it is about the education.

Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Cal - Berkley, University of Michigan, Army, Navy, William and Mary, Boston University, Lehigh, Villanova, Etc... All have programs and all have the ability to help with admissions.

Excellent post . There are a lot of excellent schools out there and everyone's situation i.e. Financial, Distance from home, future plans are different .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Princeton
8 - Penn
8 - Duke
12 - Northwestern
15 - Notre Dame
60 - Syracuse University

31 - Boston College

5 - Stanford
20 - Georgetown

23 - Southern California

Amazing list no "No Name U's" listed here

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Princeton
8 - Penn
8 - Duke
12 - Northwestern
15 - Notre Dame
60 - Syracuse University

31 - Boston College

5 - Stanford
20 - Georgetown

23 - Southern California

Amazing list no "No Name U's" listed here

Bitter, jealous negative people will never get it, the best we can hope for is that they do not pass their pessimistic attitude on to their children.

Women's lacrosse at the college level can provide an awesome opportunity for your daughter.

Do not listen to the nay sayers who chirp about how there is very little athletic scholarship money or that at the DI level they own you and you can only major in basket weaving and you need a 95+ average and north of 1300 on the SAT to get into a school like Duke or that you will never see the field or that the only reason a 9th grade girl commits is so the parents can brag.

Maybe if some of the negative parents had a better attitude their daughters experience would be more rewarding and positive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm confused, weren't people just posting that the early commits isn't about the money its about the school? Which led us to believe the money wasn't the driving force. Now new posts on here say there is tons of cash, the major of your choice and the school of your dreams. I can't keep up. Good luck to all

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm confused, weren't people just posting that the early commits isn't about the money its about the school? Which led us to believe the money wasn't the driving force. Now new posts on here say there is tons of cash, the major of your choice and the school of your dreams. I can't keep up. Good luck to all

it can be any one of those things or all of them for a very select few - many are just using lax to get into schools they wouldn't have based only on academics.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So is going to a better college going to make a person better academicallly if they were average in high school or does a better academic college allow a bright person to live up to their fullest potential?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The challenge (although worth the risk for most) is to send a B student to an A+ school because they can play lacrosse. Then add in 5-6 hours a day all year for lax. Can the B student keep up? Maybe. Is the B student better off with a communications degree from an A+ school or and engineering degree from a C+ school with less lax commitment. Being the weakest academic student at some of these top schools is very daunting and some kids cant handle it. Other raise their game and soar. Lots of questions with no perfect answers. Good luck all

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The challenge (although worth the risk for most) is to send a B student to an A+ school because they can play lacrosse. Then add in 5-6 hours a day all year for lax. Can the B student keep up? Maybe. Is the B student better off with a communications degree from an A+ school or and engineering degree from a C+ school with less lax commitment. Being the weakest academic student at some of these top schools is very daunting and some kids cant handle it. Other raise their game and soar. Lots of questions with no perfect answers. Good luck all

Have your daughter challenge herself, strive for excellence and do her best.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Have your daughter challenge herself, strive for excellence and do her best.

We re trying to guide ours to pursuing the degree of her dreams hopefully it fits with lax

Page 25 of 33 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard