BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,788
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46
Re: High School Lax Girls
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When would you play a competitive club season, if you could get teams to jump in? The youth rec season runs from April to Memorial Day.(Long Island) Most town programs would dissolve if players only played a competitive club schedule during the Spring.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How many girls "travel" programs are there on LI?

I come up with 11 but sure there are more:
YJ, TG, Liberty, Express, 91, Legacy, Wave, Elevate, Igloo, Icon, Beach Bums (no particular order)

Jesters, East End Elite (E3), Title 9, Bengals, Blue Devils, fl$, Brookhaven Bandits, Suffolk County All-Stars

Not sure if all are still active.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When would you play a competitive club season, if you could get teams to jump in? The youth rec season runs from April to Memorial Day.(Long Island) Most town programs would dissolve if players only played a competitive club schedule during the Spring.

In conjunction with the youth pal season
Some kids are pal level others are travel level
Just because mom and dad can write a check doesn't mean you are a travel player
Does any organization make cuts
Just had soccer try outs
Team roster is 16
Had 22 girls at try outs
6 girls did not make team - coach did give them info on lower level teams looking for players along with inter mural teams

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In conjunction with the youth pal season
Some kids are pal level others are travel level
Just because mom and dad can write a check doesn't mean you are a travel player
Does any organization make cuts
Just had soccer try outs
Team roster is 16
Had 22 girls at try outs
6 girls did not make team - coach did give them info on lower level teams looking for players along with inter mural teams

Most soccer is still not for profit so cuts don't mean as much. If those 6 kids at were cut from travel lax that would be $6,000 out of the directors vacation bank account

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Welcome to Lax 2016!

The sport is corrupt and run by big money clubs. US Lax is a gutless worthless governing body. Tournament seedings are rigged by the big guys and everyone breaks rules on roster eligibility.

It is all 100% about getting recruited for players and about making money for everyone else (clubs, camps, all star teams etc etc )and that's it.

If you are a purest you don't have a chance!

CR leads the way

And she also owns the tournament circuit !

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Travel lacrosse games begin after regular High school season ends.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Just because mom and dad can write a check doesn't mean you are a travel player"....ding, ding, ding....give that man a cupie doll (that only cost $2k)
But that is what the lower level travel programs are funded on.
There are 2019/2020 girls travel players that we play against who not only don't cradle with weak hand, but absolutely CANT!
But find a place on a travel team---sure thing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like the PAL season. I know some people complain about PAL, but it gives the chance for the non club girls to play lax and get introduced to the sport and play like a team. My daughters like playing with their friends and for their town. People cite the fact that the MD clubs play all spring together in their league. I might be in the minority but my goal is for my girls to get better and for the town to get better for HS. PAL works toward that goal and playing club works for a separate achievement/goal. I might be in the minority but I am more concerned with my town players improving more than my club team improving. i would rather see a successful HS team than successful club team for my daughters. Club for me is used as a finishing product where players get a chance to play against the best of the best and fine tune their game and hopefully in the future get noticed for the next level. A Long Island Club league would be nice but not at the expense of the town rec/PAL leagues. That would only strengthen the haves and introduce the game to less girls.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
all good points, but if the goal of you and your girls is to lead to a towns successful HS team, what about the goals of the kid in your town who has no intention of going to your HS?..maybe private bound kids?...why should they continue to play PAL and not try to make themselves better in a much more competitive environment?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PAL lax needs to step it up
They need to run more like
PAL football - https://www.scpalfootball.com/

While no organization is perfect and all have issue
The football program is leaps and bounds ahead
Staring with yearly on line certifications that ALL coaches must take online to receive a coaches badge - this allows them to be on sideline for games

They also have weekly pal meeting attended by pal board nemeses along with pal reps from each organization

Teams are placed in div using power rankings from the previous season to aid in providing the best games possible week in and week out

They have playoffs after regular season

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Just because mom and dad can write a check doesn't mean you are a travel player"....ding, ding, ding....give that man a cupie doll (that only cost $2k)
But that is what the lower level travel programs are funded on.
There are 2019/2020 girls travel players that we play against who not only don't cradle with weak hand, but absolutely CANT!
But find a place on a travel team---sure thing.

I think we all agree that if you an write the check there's a club team to play on. This is also not unique to lax but I love how non travel parents love to throw that out there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
all good points, but if the goal of you and your girls is to lead to a towns successful HS team, what about the goals of the kid in your town who has no intention of going to your HS?..maybe private bound kids?...why should they continue to play PAL and not try to make themselves better in a much more competitive environment?

Ok, than find something else for her. If she plays for me on PAL I will coach her up like all the other girls. If that is not good enough than find some where else to play. PAL is town based rec league. It serves it purpose.

As far as football PAL being better.... Calendar wise it has more advantages. No Spring Break, No Easter, Better weather from start to finish. In my opinion, the PAL football season is too long! I know there are gun-[lacrosse] fathers that would push for a PAL National Championship if they could. For PAL lax I would settle for a tournament weekend for the top teams at the end of the Spring PAL season, but when are you going to fit it in with Club season starting earlier and earlier. For me I will take the 7-8 game PAL season that goes right into Club season.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey, Knute Rockne..the whole discussion started as to why Travel League could not exist during PAL season...that is how it started. Nobody bashing PAL just answering the other poster who said his goal in PAL was to make his teams HS better. Thus the reply.
No reason why there could not be both type of leagues running at the same time...many sports do it already--travel/local soccer, CYO/SuperLeague basketball

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like the PAL season. I know some people complain about PAL, but it gives the chance for the non club girls to play lax and get introduced to the sport and play like a team. My daughters like playing with their friends and for their town. People cite the fact that the MD clubs play all spring together in their league. I might be in the minority but my goal is for my girls to get better and for the town to get better for HS. PAL works toward that goal and playing club works for a separate achievement/goal. I might be in the minority but I am more concerned with my town players improving more than my club team improving. i would rather see a successful HS team than successful club team for my daughters. Club for me is used as a finishing product where players get a chance to play against the best of the best and fine tune their game and hopefully in the future get noticed for the next level. A Long Island Club league would be nice but not at the expense of the town rec/PAL leagues. That would only strengthen the haves and introduce the game to less girls.

Not all towns are created equal, some PAL teams have girls sitting on the bench so they really don't develop anyone but the coach's kid. Yes, sad but true.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not all towns are created equal, some PAL teams have girls sitting on the bench so they really don't develop anyone but the coach's kid. Yes, sad but true.

PAL is a great way to introduce the sport to your child but if you going to sit back and think it's going to develop them into a superstar you will be waiting a long time. I guess its just easier to blame the PAL coach because your kid can't catch and throw.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Every kid has a wall or a garage door
No reason for kids in 5/6 grade to unable to catch or throw

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

PAL is a great way to introduce the sport to your child but if you going to sit back and think it's going to develop them into a superstar you will be waiting a long time. I guess its just easier to blame the PAL coach because your kid can't catch and throw.

What's funny is that club people complain that kids who can't play should play PAL while you're saying PAL is not for development. PAL is an intramural league and no one should sit on the bench, even if they cannot catch and throw.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pal mission statement

The overall goal of the Westport PAL Football Program is to provide a program for KIDS of the community that is FUN and will INSPIRE youth members, regardless of race, creed, color, or ability to pay, to learn the game of football and to practice the ideals of sportsmanship, scholarship, and physical fitness.
The Westport PAL Football Program will meet its overall goal through the following objectives:

Bringing area youth members closer together through a common interest in athletic competition
Providing supervised, organized, and safety-oriented learning environments
Teaching them the fundamentals of football and cheerleading
Collaborating closely with the Staples High School Programs
Providing the opportunity to practice and play free from pressure to win at all costs
Using only those volunteers whose goals support these objectives

*To have adults support and supervise youth members, teach and behave in an exemplary manner, and keep the welfare and interests of youth members foremost.

* To promote safety-first by requiring the member teams to maintain strict compliance with Westport PAL Football Policies and Procedures and those of the Fairfield County Football League.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very well said. Some of you lose sight of the fact that these are kids and it's just a game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very well said. Some of you lose sight of the fact that these are kids and it's just a game.

But because of bad coaching on most levels (including club) tons of kids are left behind because coaches allow that end to end BS. #passtheball

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But because of bad coaching on most levels (including club) tons of kids are left behind because coaches allow that end to end BS. #passtheball

Sorry but basic skills r not developed from game play. I agree girls should pass more and play more as a team than individuals, but the end to end stuff is not why your daughter, or anyone else's, doesn't have strong enough skills. They r left behind because they don't work at it as hard as other girls, don't have the natural ability, or both. It's ok, it isn't for everybody, but lets be realistic please.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any word on Under Armour?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stock was up .80 to close at $ 37.22

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes CR has to double check the list to make sure she didn't miss anyone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
m

I heard that emails went out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
m

you will never guess that 17 out of the 22 girls on the upper class team were from YJ. Almost 80%. Then you throw in 1 each basically from TG, Liberty, Title 9 and 2 from Elevate. Trust me there are some exceptional girls on this team no matter what travel program they play for but seriously...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry but basic skills r not developed from game play. I agree girls should pass more and play more as a team than individuals, but the end to end stuff is not why your daughter, or anyone else's, doesn't have strong enough skills. They r left behind because they don't work at it as hard as other girls, don't have the natural ability, or both. It's ok, it isn't for everybody, but lets be realistic please.
I'm sure you think you're right, but you sound like you're lucky enough to have a very athletic daughter, congratulations. But I would bet my bottom dollar you did not play yourself. I bet you never had a catch with your kid, or drove her to a wall to practice on. Some of these girls could progress if they had a coach that put some time in on them, but in most P.A.L. cases it's a parent coaches only focusing on his daughter and her friends, and the rest are left alone to wither. Most kids, not all but most, could develop with a good coach

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A good youth coach just like a good teacher in grade school will give players or students homework
It's not all about the coach but a good coach who brings the entire team forward instead of just helping his/her own kid or athletic kids with that being said
A player has to want to get better on there own as well

Parents need to help -
Have a catch or a pass with ur kid
Be involved even if you have never played
You would be surprised how much you can help by just going In the yard and throwing them them ball

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
m

you will never guess that 17 out of the 22 girls on the upper class team were from YJ. Almost 80%. Then you throw in 1 each basically from TG, Liberty, Title 9 and 2 from Elevate. Trust me there are some exceptional girls on this team no matter what travel program they play for but seriously...

The girls selected are a very talented group. There are others who are just as deserving. Some didn't bother with the tryout because UA on LI isn't a real tryout with the teams being selected based on performance during the 2 days. Way too much weight is given to who you play for and your reputation.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone talking about UA selection but there is politics in everything. Best is just to not let it get under your skin. Good lesson for daughter to learn. Do your best and be happy with how you played.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is what I don't get . You all say its all political but I do not believe the majority of evaluators were from any one club. My kid tried out for the younger team and it seemed fair to me except that the team you were put on can have a lot to do with how you showed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
m

The girls selected are a very talented group. There are others who are just as deserving. Some didn't bother with the tryout because UA on LI isn't a real tryout with the teams being selected based on performance during the 2 days. Way too much weight is given to who you play for and your reputation.

There are 18 high schools represented on the Highlight (17 & 18) Team. I have watched my daughters HS team play against many of the teams represented and the girls selected to this team were (in most cases) the best players on their high school teams.

To complain that there is a YJ Bias is not really accurate. The large majority of top players do in fact play for the Yellow Jackets. There are some really strong girls playing for other clubs but the YJ's do have many of the strongest players on The Island.

20 of the 22 players are committed to play college lacrosse at the top lacrosse programs in the country. Many of the girls were all heavily recruited by most of the top college programs.

One of the best indicators of where a player stands in relation to other players is to look at what colleges made offers. The top programs go after the same players. Many of the girls on this team had offers from several top 10 programs.

Here is the list:

Boston College - 4
Florida - 3
Syracuse - 2
Penn State -2
Maryland -2
Penn -2
Princeton - 1
North Carolina - 1
Notre Dame - 1
USC - 1
Northwestern - 1

The schools listed above recruit players who they believe will help them win. They do not recruit a player because they play for the Yellow Jackets.

Congratulations to all of the players who earned a spot on the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
m

There are 18 high schools represented on the Highlight (17 & 18) Team. I have watched my daughters HS team play against many of the teams represented and the girls selected to this team were (in most cases) the best players on their high school teams.

To complain that there is a YJ Bias is not really accurate. The large majority of top players do in fact play for the Yellow Jackets. There are some really strong girls playing for other clubs but the YJ's do have many of the strongest players on The Island.

20 of the 22 players are committed to play college lacrosse at the top lacrosse programs in the country. Many of the girls were all heavily recruited by most of the top college programs.

One of the best indicators of where a player stands in relation to other players is to look at what colleges made offers. The top programs go after the same players. Many of the girls on this team had offers from several top 10 programs.

Here is the list:

Boston College - 4
Florida - 3
Syracuse - 2
Penn State -2
Maryland -2
Penn -2
Princeton - 1
North Carolina - 1
Notre Dame - 1
USC - 1
Northwestern - 1

The schools listed above recruit players who they believe will help them win. They do not recruit a player because they play for the Yellow Jackets.

Can I buy the rosie colored glasses you wear? Girls are good players no doubt but the argument has been made that lots of other girls passed over or don't event try out because of the bias and illegitimacy of the tryouts. Again devalues the whole process. Agree with one poster who stated should bring in evaluators from outside the region to each regions tryout. Would love to see the outcome then but.... then again people find ways. Guess it will never be legit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
m

Here is the list:

Boston College - 4
Florida - 3
Syracuse - 2
Penn State -2
Maryland -2
Penn -2
Princeton - 1
North Carolina - 1
Notre Dame - 1
USC - 1
Northwestern - 1

Can I buy the rosie colored glasses you wear? Girls are good players no doubt but the argument has been made that lots of other girls passed over or don't event try out because of the bias and illegitimacy of the tryouts. Again devalues the whole process. Agree with one poster who stated should bring in evaluators from outside the region to each regions tryout. Would love to see the outcome then but.... then again people find ways. Guess it will never be legit.

I don't recall any YJ coaches being involved last year and the number of YJ players selected was about the same. Get over it. They select who they believe to be the best players. Are any of the coaches (not evaluators) involved with YJ (I honestly do not know) ? I do know that last year there were three coaches and none of them were affiliated with YJ.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I'm guessing this is the best thread to discuss my ongoing "study" of the Long Island 2013 class and, as a class, where they stand today in regards to their lacrosse careers. This is the third year I have posted this.

USA Lacrosse has found that roughly 50% of all recruited players are playing the game of lacrosse by their senior year. Long Island players in 2013 were at 58% with 43% playing significant minutes in a game. The remaining 15% played some minutes in a limited role.

There was a huge movement of players who no longer play from sophomore to junior year, which is expected. Playing time, school work and possible injury without a red shirt figures into this number, which is 28%. It was 8% last year.

The remaining 14% were redshirt or injury reflected by little or no playing time.

These numbers will adjust downward by next year if trends continue. The overall number should still be greater than the 50% average, but that is also expected as Long Island has more quality players as compared with the lacrosse group as a whole nationwide.

Just a little food for thought for anyone going through the recruiting process in high school. There are so many non-lacrosse variables to think about and don't lose sight of that.

Just one more year of crunching numbers! Whew!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear
I'm guessing this is the best thread to discuss my ongoing "study" of the Long Island 2013 class and, as a class, where they stand today in regards to their lacrosse careers. This is the third year I have posted this.

USA Lacrosse has found that roughly 50% of all recruited players are playing the game of lacrosse by their senior year. Long Island players in 2013 were at 58% with 43% playing significant minutes in a game. The remaining 15% played some minutes in a limited role.

There was a huge movement of players who no longer play from sophomore to junior year, which is expected. Playing time, school work and possible injury without a red shirt figures into this number, which is 28%. It was 8% last year.

The remaining 14% were redshirt or injury reflected by little or no playing time.

These numbers will adjust downward by next year if trends continue. The overall number should still be greater than the 50% average, but that is also expected as Long Island has more quality players as compared with the lacrosse group as a whole nationwide.

Just a little food for thought for anyone going through the recruiting process in high school. There are so many non-lacrosse variables to think about and don't lose sight of that.

GREAT STUFF! What this shows again is that once these kids become young adults they start making their own decisions to mommy and daddies dismay and half CHOOSE not to play. Parents need to be aware of this when they keep pushing and pushing. FIFTY PERCENT wont finish college playing THATS A FACT. 1 out of 2 will quit before the graduate.

Pick a school that best fits your child's academic and social needs because when they stop playing, will they want to finish out their degree at the school they are attending????????????????

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

GREAT STUFF! What this shows again is that once these kids become young adults they start making their own decisions to mommy and daddies dismay and half CHOOSE not to play. Parents need to be aware of this when they keep pushing and pushing. FIFTY PERCENT wont finish college playing THATS A FACT. 1 out of 2 will quit before the graduate.

Pick a school that best fits your child's academic and social needs because when they stop playing, will they want to finish out their degree at the school they are attending????????????????

Do these stats only apply to D1 athletes or are all 3 divisions included?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know my kids div 1 school has a club team where 1/2-3/4 of the div 1 roster wind up playing on by senior year. Still playing quality games in the club world. All the reasons kids enjoy playing a sport can be met in the club world also if it gets to much playing D1 ball. Pick the school first.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Do these stats only apply to D1 athletes or are all 3 divisions included?

All divisions. Percentages by division do not vary, which I thought was interesting.

Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard