Originally Posted by Anonymous
He is 2025. Doing clinics and playing PAL w/ a 2024 team. He can handle playing travel. Was looking for a good mix of coaches and program. Two of the teams we were interested have a similiar tryout date Empire/Legacy. Will teams let you know where you stand after the 1st week of tryouts or will they wait til its over?

They typically wait, or it would seem phoney I think, but I would bet you will know intuitively if he has a shot if you aren't a "my kid is the best" looney tune. But you will be surprised at how many good 7 (and 8) year old kids there are. At the Legacy tryout last year, I knew my son was in the mix, but still was relieved when he made it and I got to avoid telling him bad news. Ended up not playing with them and we ultimately had a good experience where we were. Legacy was Zummo's team (a plus) and he ran the organizational show as well. After, they did what they said regarding acceptances etc.

We are looking for a 2024 A team this year for my son (who as you probably know with any 8 year old is too easily swayed) so I have my own list (that is sort of his list now) with the coach as most important and driving distance next.

For you, from what I can see in your two options are:

1) bigger, good, still young organization that will likely have less really open spots (with Legacy and HDD families to accommodate) but known coaches and program.
2) Smaller, totally new with plenty of open spots most likely with less info on coaches and program but with the Rotanz factor which seems to me like a good thing.

Tough call for Empire with unknowns, but maybe easier at the start and with The need to succeed, maybe you benefit from more focus on your boy once he makes it.

I hope this helps...Good luck!