Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do you realize that when a middle school player is good enough to play up at the jv or varsity level, they have to take a physical strength and maturity test? This test is because they are playing with older kids who are at a very different stage of puberty. This test is not optional, it is mandated, and it is designed to protect kids who are not ready to play up. Well of course you wouldn’t know that. Blatantly obvious.

Well I hope you’re following me and can keep up. Read slow and try. So, if the test to play up exists, why are kids allowed to play down. The reality is, a player who plays down and was reclassed or held back, is going to be of high school age and playing against middle school age kids at some point on their travel team. So in your naive mind that is ok. Quick question for ya. Do they let 9th and 10th grade players play down on the middle school team? I know you’re smart enough to know that answer, right?

Please do yourself a favor and just let it go.

Based on these responses, it's clear you think you have a little 8th grader that will be asked to play up with the big boys at the HS. You've spent some time pouring over the requirements, how's he doing with his mile time? Good luck with that. Pulling an 8th grader to Varsity is done for many reasons. Mostly for development though, both the player's and the program's. Top HS programs do not usually have 9th graders on Varsity, let alone 8th.

You are getting yourself into a froth by confusing public health & safety requirements for middle school athletes playing in High School with private club lacrosse tournament participation requirements. That is apples to oranges. Public school rules are designed to protect the weaker players, like your son, and the private leagues are designed to showcase the best talent around for a certain Grad year. Completely different animals.