BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,817
Posts388,305
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33
Re: Girls 2020 - 9th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anyone know how long it typically takes a coach to give an offer?
My daughter was invited by an assistant coach at a top 15 school to his december camp

Being invited to camp doesn't necessarily mean an offer is forthcoming. I'd be cautiously optimistic, but don't count on anything.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most of the time these email invites are generated from lists and pumped out so,don't get too excited. Usually if they are really interested in looking they will contact herthrough club coach and she will follow up through club contact. But if it's a school she's interested it's definetely a,good time to go a camp at the school. Have club coach let them know your attending. My daughter is 2019 and went a camp in Fall of last year and they liked her and started the process of calls, visits etc. and we followed that process for several schools of interest . Ironically she ended up,committing to a school she never went to camp at!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter was invited by an assistant coach at a top 15 school to his december camp

My 2016 daughter visited her first school during August 2013 (summer after sophomore year). She visited seven more schools over the next 10 months. She then received her first offer in late June 2014, then her next one less than a week later. She accepted the second schools offer because it was her favorite and also the first school she visited. We've heard of some girls getting offers on a first visit but I doubt this is typical. Most stories we've heard involved a months long courtship with several schools. Good luck and choose wisely.

my daughter was offered by every school she visited on the spot, they offered because they saw that they were competing with the other schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh that's great for her! Thanks.
The invite for my 2020 was through the coach. our club coach just got their feedback that they are interested but want to see my daughter get i guess thicker, more muscular and will come see her at her tournaments this summer. My daughter is very strong but very thin!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My 2016 daughter visited her first school during August 2013 (summer after sophomore year). She visited seven more schools over the next 10 months. She then received her first offer in late June 2014, then her next one less than a week later. She accepted the second schools offer because it was her favorite and also the first school she visited. We've heard of some girls getting offers on a first visit but I doubt this is typical. Most stories we've heard involved a months long courtship with several schools. Good luck and choose wisely.

my daughter was offered by every school she visited on the spot, they offered because they saw that they were competing with the other schools.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's funny that you mention offers "on the spot" because of the eight schools my daughter visited, probably three or four actually said that they could tell she wasn't ready to commit yet so they were reserving her offer for later. I think she could've had more offers "on the spot" but she wasn't willing to just jump at the first offer she had. She's a really good player and we knew she would have multiple offers and choices, which she did. Our club director was 'spot on' about how to handle the process and we are very thankful to her and her husband. She's been a D1 and D2 college coach, college club team coach, and a IAAM coach, so she knows the process from all three views. So, the take away here is, for those in the middle of the recruiting frenzy, that college coaches can sense when a player is ready to commit or listen to an offer and when they're not, and still shopping. After a year of visits, my kid was ready to make a choice and luckily she had options to choose from. Like I said above, good luck and choose widely.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every situation is different.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks everyone! This is all new to us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how many times do people have to say that the camps are fundraisers and the invites come from master email lists that are exchanged regularly by asst.coaches?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
new to you but you identify school as top 15? please ...you are not some innocent babe in the woods mom. stop the coquettish approach , it's phony.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not phony you [lacrosse]! it's not like I have 3 other kids recruited to play sports in college, they got in the regular way, with their grades! I was just asking advice. You must be from long island i guess....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because they are loaded in our inbox ! 80% are a fishing expedition . The others we know there was interest , have been engaged with etc...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You get invited to camps because 1. they are trying to make money which is probably 90+ present or more and then 2. maybe 10% that actually might like your daughter. Most college coaches are working for 40-60k a year. They need the camps to supplement their pay.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how many times do people have to say that the camps are fundraisers and the invites come from master email lists that are exchanged regularly by asst.coaches?
Did you even read the above? Ther person said the club coach also received a call from the school expressing inetrest and wanting the girl to go to the camp. This is quite different than just getting a blast email. Obviously doesn't guarantee an offer, but if it is a school your daughter is inetrested and the coaches called your club coach to express interest, you go to the camp. They will be watching you more closely. Of course these camps are money-makers, everyone knows that. But they obviously evaluate girls they care most about and have already identified before the camp as on their recruting board, plus your daughter gets to see the campus and get to know the coaches better which is very valuable if she is offered down the line.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once you get outside the top 10 schools Lax coaches get paid almost nothing. Camps are a scam to pad their bank accounts. They are just like club directors who peddle snack oil just to make a buck

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you even read the above? Ther person said the club coach also received a call from the school expressing inetrest and wanting the girl to go to the camp. This is quite different than just getting a blast email. Obviously doesn't guarantee an offer, but if it is a school your daughter is inetrested and the coaches called your club coach to express interest, you go to the camp. They will be watching you more closely. Of course these camps are money-makers, everyone knows that. But they obviously evaluate girls they care most about and have already identified before the camp as on their recruting board, plus your daughter gets to see the campus and get to know the coaches better which is very valuable if she is offered down the line.
this answer seems most likely. We all get emails inviting our kids to a school's camp/clinic, but the ones that come as an invite through the club's director are personal. They are from the coaches directly, and say that they've seen your daughter play, they want to know where they are at in the process and they mean a little more that those generic blasts. No guarantees, but as our club director said the first time we got one, they already like you at that point, just want to look a little closer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this answer seems most likely. We all get emails inviting our kids to a school's camp/clinic, but the ones that come as an invite through the club's director are personal. They are from the coaches directly, and say that they've seen your daughter play, they want to know where they are at in the process and they mean a little more that those generic blasts. No guarantees, but as our club director said the first time we got one, they already like you at that point, just want to look a little closer.

Scroll down to the bottom of the email and if there is an option to unsubscribe from future emails then it's just a mass email that goes to 100s of girls. You can tell the difference between those and ones sent directly from a coach

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Scroll down to the bottom of the email and if there is an option to unsubscribe from future emails then it's just a mass email that goes to 100s of girls. You can tell the difference between those and ones sent directly from a coach

Another small clue that the coach is possibly interested in the player, like is stated above, is to scroll down to the coaches contact information. If their cell phone number is included it's a good sign that they are interested. If it's a mass email, it will just have the office phone number and address.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another small clue that the coach is possibly interested in the player, like is stated above, is to scroll down to the coaches contact information. If their cell phone number is included it's a good sign that they are interested. If it's a mass email, it will just have the office phone number and address.

I agree with all of the above. My daughter did receive at least one initial contact email about a prospect clinic that was sent through the team's website system, so there was an unsubscribe link at the bottom. The coach included a cell phone, though, and it did not read like a mass email. As soon as my daughter replied expressing interest in the clinic, the coach reached out to my daughter's coach to set up a call.

We've found college prospect clinics to be really helpful, particularly when my daughter was already on that school's radar. A couple have included a tour open to all players attending, and one she recently attended included a tour with coaches and current players for only a small group of top recruits - well worth the $100 or so we paid for the clinic. The only camp my daughter thought was somewhat of a money grab was hosted by a top program that brings in a lot of college coaches, but the number of campers is very large and not much time was spent working with each coach. I think there are a lot of "money grab" camps and showcases out there, but for the most part we haven't found the college camps/clinics to fall into that category. Not every attending player will generate interest from coaches, however.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to the camps that they specifically asked you to come through your club coach. Other than that, waste.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You really have to do your work and cut through the BS. 90% of kids at all these camps are just there because their parents are trying to make the kids relevant and these coaches need the CASH. It is absolutely a money grab unless there was a personal invite and the process with the coach was already started. Now are there a few lottery ticket players that show up and catch a coaches eye who wasn't on the radar screen? Sure. But those kids are in the extreme minority

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's not true. My kid went to several camps " to take a shot" and got dialogue and opportunities at least half of them. We told our club coach in advance to let them know she was attending. It depends on how you show and play at them. All I can is be realistic and size your kid up against the competition during the tourney season. Then decide yes maybe my kid has a shot to impress and then it comes down to how hard they want to work for it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's not true. My kid went to several camps " to take a shot" and got dialogue and opportunities at least half of them. We told our club coach in advance to let them know she was attending. It depends on how you show and play at them. All I can is be realistic and size your kid up against the competition during the tourney season. Then decide yes maybe my kid has a shot to impress and then it comes down to how hard they want to work for it.

On average 1-3 kids from most HS teams will get an athletic offer. Good luck!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's a totally skewed view of reality. Yes, on the average of all the teams in the United States that may be true. But it is not the case for IAAM schools or schools on LI.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Those number hold at our LI HS on both the boys and girls side over the last 4 or 5 years. A few more go to D3 but a couple every year get a few bucks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not the case with lacrosse on Long Island when talking about "Lacrosse Towns". Schools like Garden City, Manhasset. Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor, Ward Melville, Smithtown etc.. plus St. Anthony's and Chaminade and a hand full of others. These schools have a lot more than 1-3 DI Lacrosse commits,

Currently in our district in grades 10 - 12 there are at least 29 DI commits.
(14 Boys and 15 Girls) I am sure that there will be a few more by the end of the school year.

The younger kids know this and they look up the these players and work hard in the classroom and on the field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not the case with lacrosse on Long Island when talking about "Lacrosse Towns". Schools like Garden City, Manhasset. Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor, Ward Melville, Smithtown etc.. plus St. Anthony's and Chaminade and a hand full of others. These schools have a lot more than 1-3 DI Lacrosse commits,

(14 Boys and 15 Girls) I am sure that there will be a few more by the end of the school year.

The younger kids know this and they look up the these players and work hard in the classroom and on the field.

10 per year? Is it boys and girls combined? That would be 5 per team a year that's very good.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Between the boys and the girls I think Ward Melville actually has 30 players committed to DI schools in grades 10 - 12. By end of the school year they may have a few more. Add to that the DII and DIII players and there could be another 15 plus kids going on to play in college from those three grades. The 2020 will start to commit soon. Thats a lot of kids with great opportunities.
Don't let the negative people influence you or your children. If your kids love competing then have them work hard and their future will be bright in the classroom, on the field and in life.

Enjoy the ride.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When did lacrosse become a fulltime job in college?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When college coaches realized that having a winning program can translate into large amounts of cash in their pockets for camps, clinics, equipment, speaking engagements and summer travel clubs - Amonte, Gait, etc. would probably coach for free to keep those revenue streams alive - the players are financial assets to them

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When college coaches realized that having a winning program can translate into large amounts of cash in their pockets for camps, clinics, equipment, speaking engagements and summer travel clubs - Amonte, Gait, etc. would probably coach for free to keep those revenue streams alive - the players are financial assets to them

You mean Levy, Reese, right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

they would be included in the etc category

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter is at a school ranked between 50-75 and she is spending 2x more time with the team then on her classes and that was technically in the in Falls offseason. BTW for this her award was $4,250

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter is at a school ranked between 50-75 and she is spending 2x more time with the team then on her classes and that was technically in the in Falls offseason. BTW for this her award was $4,250

Is she having fun? That sounds awesome to me

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is she passing her classes? After all isn't that what its all about?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If she's enjoying it and maintaining her grades - Great. If not, might be time to move on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi newer to lax parent with a 2021. We live in NJ/PA area. We are NOT in a hotbed area, but on A team of viable club. Looking for info on Showcases. I asked in the 2021 thread but too much bickering to notice my question. Particularly what showcases are worth it - we are not recruiting yet but getting feet wet. Also looking at participation as a way to have 1:1 against some great competition. NXT Summer Showcase, FL$, Brine, UA tryouts, Super Saturday Winter Blitz by Sinc Sports, etc. are these all money grabs ? Are any necessary ? ANY insight/opinions/wisdom very much appreciated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi newer to lax parent with a 2021. We live in NJ/PA area. We are NOT in a hotbed area, but on A team of viable club. Looking for info on Showcases. I asked in the 2021 thread but too much bickering to notice my question. Particularly what showcases are worth it - we are not recruiting yet but getting feet wet. Also looking at participation as a way to have 1:1 against some great competition. NXT Summer Showcase, FL$, Brine, UA tryouts, Super Saturday Winter Blitz by Sinc Sports, etc. are these all money grabs ? Are any necessary ? ANY insight/opinions/wisdom very much appreciated.

As far as individual player showcase events (non team entry) UA reginal tryouts would be good to get on, not sure about that new UA150 yet. Best bet for those combine type things would be NIke Elite 120 by far. Brine is not very good. Some of these thing however are by invite or selection, and I believe some of the deadlines have past, but some still available. Good luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't stress, Keep those grades up and there will be tons of opportunities as long as your daughter can run throw and catch. The ROI is terrible for lacrosse. Getting 10K to a 60K school is a joke. Good grades are always the ticket. Enjoy the sport but don't let it control your life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I second that motion.

Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard