Originally Posted by Anonymous
So I have a son who is in 8th grade, and will be playing JV this spring. He plays on a solid A team, not AA like Blaze, Black Ice, or Express. I was told that he should start emailing coaches where he will be playing this spring. He picked Duke, Syracuse and Notre Dame. Of course that is what a 13 year old would pick. I'm new to this, what advice would you give a kid to look at other schools. I only played club ball in college, and didn't go through any of this. My feeling is to look at good business schools that have lax, but of course he has his hopes set pretty high.

My son was in a similar spot. He went to 3 prospect days, for the schools and coaches he liked, summer going into & fall of 9th. By doing this it showed him what to expect from the coaches style and what prospect days were like. Also gives him/you a great opportunity to see the campus.

He also sent a few notes to schools he was interested in, as you state I had a requirement the schools also have a good business school just in case his favored major would not be his lasting major. His concentration of schools are more Academic that Athletic.

Fast forward a few years, no offers but a few conversations. The first thing they ask are how are the grades, are you maintaining. It is all centered around grades grades grades. They are not afraid to say grades are the most important factor.

They also understand some school have letter grades some have number grades. So If you can achieve a 93.5 and you maintain your skills many other schools may come calling for you. Funny how that happens after Brine Freshmen Philly Blue Chip (whether 225 or trip to Florida for jake r.) and various tournaments. Some say doing recruiting days for some of the bigger clubs are a waste, I dont think they are, this could be another way of getting your name out.

I think what helps more is to get/fill out the schools questionnaires. Find out where the coach will be what camps and clinics will they give/attend. Go to those events and then write the coach or recruiting Dir/Coach a note. Have your Club Director help you find out who he knows, always include your HS varsity coach even if your only on JV.

Good luck it is a long road and there is no real wrong answer, what works for one may not for another. i would say dont settle or jump to the first opportunity.

Oh very important, on your first note be sure to send a good high quality Video.