BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,292
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 31 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Three Village program and community were divided by the ideologues who took control of the league approximately ten years ago. There was a small group within the board who ruined the program with their policies and back room dealings.

ten years ago? would 2004 be the year that the group that just graduated was in 3rd grade and starting out? if so I only wish my town had a ruined program like that.

Ward Melville High School has had a great lacrosse program for the past 30 or 40 years. Please do not attempt to tie last years success to the 3Vlax youth lacrosse board.

true enough - but they had not won a county title in over ten years and according to the original post that is when the new youth board took over the youth program, and those kids, under the new board rose up and became the number one team in the nation - these are the facts not an opinion, so maybe these policies and back room dealings worked.

Ok..we'll give you that they won everything last year but let's give credit where credit is due. The talent and depth of the seniors last year was unmatchable. 3v and their changes had nothing to do with that so let's not overstate the obvious. Let's see if these amazing changes hold true in the next coming years, but for now here are the facts.

The original poster of this topic spoke of playing for elite travel teams in the summer. 3v does not allow any 3v travel player to play with an elite team....fact. 3v coaches do not get automatic bids to top showcase camps....fact. 3v program turns into the patriot elite program run by the high school coaches once you hit 9th grade...fact. Elite program, under the auspices of 3v run 2 or 3 teams in the summer, teams are mixed grades (not beneficial), teams have roster of 28+ (not beneficial), teams do not attend same tournaments and some tournaments are a waste of time and money (not beneficial), coaches do not respond to phone calls from college coaches (not beneficial)......these are all facts! The poster was simply implying that Elite travel teams will do a better job getting your sons to play at the next level than 3v and the patriot elite program will do....fact!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not a WM person and as an outsider they seem to run a great HS program as well as a great youth program - can any of the 3V- WM people out their tell us how many of the kids play outside travel teams and how many play town only?

last years class of 2013 had 8 D1's, 3D2's and a 2 D3's - did some, most or all of them play town only?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not a WM person and as an outsider they seem to run a great HS program as well as a great youth program - can any of the 3V- WM people out their tell us how many of the kids play outside travel teams and how many play town only?

last years class of 2013 had 8 D1's, 3D2's and a 2 D3's - did some, most or all of them play town only?

If you do not think the world of lacrosse has changed since the Class of 2013 was in the 5th grade you must be a 3V board member with your head in the sand.

Stop equating the success of the WM High School Program with the way the 3V board has run the youth program for the past several years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you are okay with back room dealings? The board makes up the rules as they go. I think maybe they started with good intentions and now have no idea how to handle the changing world of lacrosse. My son plays club lacrosse and was told by the 3V board that he couldn't be a part of their organization. While he would have loved to continue playing with his friends, he really is so happy and it was the best decision we made. Interestingly, now 3V will let kids play both, but it was a secret. The boys that play club were never invited back to play with their town. While other boys are allowed to play both if they play on the B team. My son would have played on the B team and my guess is so would others. They never wanted to leave 3V, but were told they absolutely could not be a part of travel lacrosse and PAL if they play elsewhere. Yet now I hear that kids are allowed to guest play for the A team as well. Shouldn't it be a set rule made known to the residents? I am guessing it is a secret because of the flood of kids that would rejoin their program. These are the kind of self serving back room dealings that I am talking about. And you are ok with that? WM won last year for several reasons, none of it was due to the 3V lacrosse board's policies.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you are okay with back room dealings? The board makes up the rules as they go. I think maybe they started with good intentions and now have no idea how to handle the changing world of lacrosse. My son plays club lacrosse and was told by the 3V board that he couldn't be a part of their organization. While he would have loved to continue playing with his friends, he really is so happy and it was the best decision we made. Interestingly, now 3V will let kids play both, but it was a secret. The boys that play club were never invited back to play with their town. While other boys are allowed to play both if they play on the B team. My son would have played on the B team and my guess is so would others. They never wanted to leave 3V, but were told they absolutely could not be a part of travel lacrosse and PAL if they play elsewhere. Yet now I hear that kids are allowed to guest play for the A team as well. Shouldn't it be a set rule made known to the residents? I am guessing it is a secret because of the flood of kids that would rejoin their program. These are the kind of self serving back room dealings that I am talking about. And you are ok with that? WM won last year for several reasons, none of it was due to the 3V lacrosse board's policies.

It sounds as if you and your child are in the flux of change at WM . the hard aches you are going through or went through; will pave the way for the future years. Stunk for those in the transition but if you don't try something you'll never know how it works out.

It is funny how they say the travel players can only play B since primarily they are the better players.? Didnt most go to travel to get a better level of competition and teammates. It would be funny that the B team is better than the A team. Why not call it something different as not to confuse the levels of play.

How many 2017 - 2019 players play on travel teams and are not or will not attend WM? I guess time will tell if these players stay at WM or go to the privates? Then you will all know if the right move was made.

Regardless of where they will play HS, I have a question, I thought the premise of PAL was no child was to be excluded if they wanted to sign up. How did 3V get away with that? Especially since they are a town in Suffolk bending the Nassau rules.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It sounds as if you and your child are in the flux of change at WM . the hard aches you are going through or went through; will pave the way for the future years. Stunk for those in the transition but if you don't try something you'll never know how it works out.

It is funny how they say the travel players can only play B since primarily they are the better players.? Didnt most go to travel to get a better level of competition and teammates. It would be funny that the B team is better than the A team. Why not call it something different as not to confuse the levels of play.

How many 2017 - 2019 players play on travel teams and are not or will not attend WM? I guess time will tell if these players stay at WM or go to the privates? Then you will all know if the right move was made.

Regardless of where they will play HS, I have a question, I thought the premise of PAL was no child was to be excluded if they wanted to sign up. How did 3V get away with that? Especially since they are a town in Suffolk bending the Nassau rules.

2017 – 1019 there are approximately 50 players playing on club teams.
I do not know of any who plan on attending private school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you seem to have put a lot of work into this post with your numbers I would guess you are the mayor as well as the heart beat of the youth league.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you seem to have put a lot of work into this post with your numbers I would guess you are the mayor as well as the heart beat of the youth league.

Not sure if you are responding to me or some of the other posters but I did not put much time into it at all.

I have a 2018 so i know the 2019 - 2017.

I estimated 50 kids. didn't take much time at all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure if you are responding to me or some of the other posters but I did not put much time into it at all.

I have a 2018 so i know the 2019 - 2017.

I estimated 50 kids. didn't take much time at all.

Does your son play travel or in house? can you expand on the premise that the travel players are better than the in house players. and how that may cause an issue during the HS years. I have seen 2019 in house play and understand many others in the grade play on the top Express and 91, along with some on TLI and DD. Not sure where really but mixing those players back into the fold with older and younger grades in HS gives me the impression they will be a strong team. and not sure where that leaves those kids who played in house.

Unless the HS decides to sit those who didn't go through the inhouse program. but I cant see that happening.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Put Town politics away. If you do not believe that playing with stronger players is beneficial you are lying to yourself.

2014 Tewaaraton Award Watch List. The award is given to the Top Mens and Womens player in the country. One Male and one Female selected from a pool of D-1, D-2 and D-3 players.

Out of the Top 50 players on the "Watch List" here are former Express Players.

-Men-
Tommy Schreiber - Princeton
Brendon Fowler - DUKE,
Michael Chanenchuck - Maryland
Michael Ehrhardt - Maryland
Brandon Mangan - Yale
Dylan Levings - Yale
Zach Losco - Penn

Women
Kerrin Mauerer - Duke

I am sure if go down the list you will find that just about all of the players played for "Both" their Town / High School as well as a private club.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Put Town politics away. If you do not believe that playing with stronger players is beneficial you are lying to yourself.

2014 Tewaaraton Award Watch List. The award is given to the Top Mens and Womens player in the country. One Male and one Female selected from a pool of D-1, D-2 and D-3 players.

-Men-
Brendon Fowler - DUKE,
Brandon Mangan - Yale
Dylan Levings - Yale
Zach Losco - Penn

Women
Kerrin Mauerer - Duke

I am sure if go down the list you will find that just about all of the players played for "Both" their Town / High School as well as a private club.

Express and the Chaim St A connection doesn't count... That is their summer team.

Any on that list from WM.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

-Men-
Brendon Fowler - DUKE,
Brandon Mangan - Yale
Dylan Levings - Yale
Zach Losco - Penn

Women
Kerrin Mauerer - Duke

Express and the Chaim St A connection doesn't count... That is their summer team.

Any on that list from WM.

-Men-
Tommy Schreiber – East Meadow – Chaminade - Princeton
Brendon Fowler – Wantagh – Chaminade - DUKE
Michael Chanenchuck – Poquott/Setauket - St Anthony's - Maryland
Michael Ehrhardt – Westbury – Chaminade - Maryland
Brandon Mangan – Wantagh - Yale
Dylan Levings – Massapequa – Plainedge - Yale
Zach Losco – Smithtown – Hauppauge - Penn

Women
Kerrin Mauerer – Setauket – St Anthony's - Duke

Men
3 from Chaminade
1 from St Anthony's
1 from Plainedge
1 From Wantagh
1 from Hauppauge

Women
1 from St Anthony's

No, none from WM but two from 3V.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
5 different High Schools represented.
How many of the 50 boys are from Long Island? How many of the girls?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is my perspective, being an ex-college player, youth coach, high school coach, parent and not living in a community with a strong lacrosse tradition. "Elite" travel teams have merit. They bring together kids from different communities that are serious about playing lacrosse. These are the kids that attend camps, clinics and are most likely to play wall ball on their own. Do the high school elite "A" teams get extra exposure and looks by colleges? They do. Especially if these kids would have played in a town with a mediocre coach and program with kids that pick up their sticks once every spring. Having said that is the "elite" travel thing a major money maker? Absolutely! Are there multiple teams in an age bracket that will never compete on a high level nor get looks from colleges? Absolutely. The Three Villages and West Islips don't see the merit in travel teams. They don't have to. They have enough talent and enough parents with knowledge of the game to mandate loyalty to the local program. Some will balk at that. Especially if their child does not get adequate playing time. Those that stay with their town team and get playing time are thrilled they don't have to pay thousands of dollars per year to pad the retirement of some director from a team named after their jersey number. If you live in, for example, West Islip, 3V, Manhasset, Smithtown, SWR (with Rotanz), etc be grateful you have lacrosse people in your community (including parents). If you in a community more known for baseball, then you are most likely going to have to go the outside travel team route and deal with all the politics there, and pay $5k (with travel expenses) on top of it. There is no one answer to this craziness. The days of just playing in season and trying out for the Empire State team is over. We, as parents created this because we think our children should be offered more than they are. If my father was asked for thousands of dollars to play travel lacrosse, he would have told me, you need therapy, now go outside and play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is my perspective, being an ex-college player, youth coach, high school coach, parent and not living in a community with a strong lacrosse tradition. "Elite" travel teams have merit. They bring together kids from different communities that are serious about playing lacrosse. These are the kids that attend camps, clinics and are most likely to play wall ball on their own. Do the high school elite "A" teams get extra exposure and looks by colleges? They do. Especially if these kids would have played in a town with a mediocre coach and program with kids that pick up their sticks once every spring. Having said that is the "elite" travel thing a major money maker? Absolutely! Are there multiple teams in an age bracket that will never compete on a high level nor get looks from colleges? Absolutely. The Three Villages and West Islips don't see the merit in travel teams. They don't have to. They have enough talent and enough parents with knowledge of the game to mandate loyalty to the local program. Some will balk at that. Especially if their child does not get adequate playing time. Those that stay with their town team and get playing time are thrilled they don't have to pay thousands of dollars per year to pad the retirement of some director from a team named after their jersey number. If you live in, for example, West Islip, 3V, Manhasset, Smithtown, SWR (with Rotanz), etc be grateful you have lacrosse people in your community (including parents). If you in a community more known for baseball, then you are most likely going to have to go the outside travel team route and deal with all the politics there, and pay $5k (with travel expenses) on top of it. There is no one answer to this craziness. The days of just playing in season and trying out for the Empire State team is over. We, as parents created this because we think our children should be offered more than they are. If my father was asked for thousands of dollars to play travel lacrosse, he would have told me, you need therapy, now go outside and play.

You say,

“The Three Villages and West Islips don't see the merit in travel teams.”

The Facts say otherwise.

Three of the five Directors of the LI Express live in 3V.
Three Village / Ward Melville kids have been playing for the express and other club teams for many years.
3V / Ward Melville kids who have already graduated from college played for club teams.
Many of the 3V / WM kids currently playing in college played for the express and other club teams.
Current 3V/WM Varsity Players have played for club teams.
Many of this years JV players currently play for club teams.
Many current 3V /JHS players play for club teams.
Current and past Board Members have their kids currently playing club lacrosse.

It is nothing new for 3V kids to play club lacrosse.

It is only a few of the board members who do not see the merit in it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love reading about these "programs." Let's not kid ourselves. The most successful programs have parents and coaches who know the game. They talk to their sons in the car, and know what they are talking about. They go in the back yard and work on throwing and catching. Catching with soft hands and throwing with their non-dominant hand. Moving without the ball. If you live in a town with many of these parents, you have a better shot of the program being reasonably successful for a long period of time. If the town you live in has parents who don't know the game, then you have mothers yelling at little Johnny to run through the entire defense and shoot. In those situations, more times than not the coaches kids are the best players and everyone else is wondering why roll dodging the entire opposing team which worked so well in 3rd grade, no longer works in 6th.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You say,

The Facts say otherwise.

Three Village / Ward Melville kids have been playing for the express and other club teams for many years.
3V / Ward Melville kids who have already graduated from college played for club teams.
Many of the 3V / WM kids currently playing in college played for the express and other club teams.

I dont know about 3 V.... But West Islip Boys mostly play in house travel outside of PAL. it usually cost 250-300 for 4 summer tournaments and its seems to translate well to the Varsity program. I hear the WI girls are doing the same.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You say,

The Facts say otherwise.

I dont know about 3 V.... But West Islip Boys mostly play in house travel outside of PAL. it usually cost 250-300 for 4 summer tournaments and its seems to translate well to the Varsity program. I hear the WI girls are doing the same.

doesnt 2019 91 orange have a good amount if not the best WI players on that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow... Why go there?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

great - great post, thank you.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love reading about these "programs." Let's not kid ourselves. The most successful programs have parents and coaches who know the game. They talk to their sons in the car, and know what they are talking about. They go in the back yard and work on throwing and catching. Catching with soft hands and throwing with their non-dominant hand. Moving without the ball. If you live in a town with many of these parents, you have a better shot of the program being reasonably successful for a long period of time. If the town you live in has parents who don't know the game, then you have mothers yelling at little Johnny to run through the entire defense and shoot. In those situations, more times than not the coaches kids are the best players and everyone else is wondering why roll dodging the entire opposing team which worked so well in 3rd grade, no longer works in 6th.

Well said

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

and it is a nightmare for those town teams when the son of the coach is not the best player and the daddy coach still thinks he is. We went 5 years with it Putting his son in all types of positions facing off when the best f/o is pushed to the wing. Long pole when others still sat the bench in PAL.

Now with middle school around the corner lets see if politics play a role or will reality stare them in their face

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

and it is a nightmare for those town teams when the son of the coach is not the best player and the daddy coach still thinks he is. We went 5 years with it Putting his son in all types of positions facing off when the best f/o is pushed to the wing. Long pole when others still sat the bench in PAL.

Now with middle school around the corner lets see if politics play a role or will reality stare them in their face

Been there done that!! Middle school is an equalizer, for my son at least. Funny how now that the boys are in 10th grade, the coaches son, as well as the boys whos parents had their noses up coaches but are riding the bench, while several 2nd and 3rd stringers are D1 bound!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son never made a travel "A" team. Now he is a freshman playing varsity. Funny what lack of politics and puberty can do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tryouts haven't even started yet for HS lacrosse. What HS does your son play for?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tryouts haven't even started yet for HS lacrosse. What HS does your son play for?

Tryouts are a formality! Silly

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

great - great post, thank you.....

The above is one persons perspective, its their point of view. Maybe their perspective will change when presented with factual information. Maybe your perspective will change as well. Sometimes the facts do not lend themselves to helping push a particular agenda or ideology.

Lets look at the facts.

“is the "elite" travel thing a major money maker? Absolutely!”

- fact: Many of the HS/Town Programs are now money makers.

“Are there multiple teams in an age bracket that will never compete on a high level nor get looks from colleges? Absolutely.”

- Fact: Some HS/Town Programs have multiple teams per grade. Some HS/Town Teams have 30 players per team.

- Fact: Many in 3V do see the merit. 3V kids have been playing on travel teams for years. They played for Ward Melville as well as for a travel team. Yes, they played for both.

“Those that stay with their town team and get playing time are thrilled they don't have to pay thousands of dollars per year to pad the retirement of some director from a team named after their jersey number.”

- Fact: As stated earlier, some Town/HS summer programs are now “for profit” businesses.
- At the youth level the cost difference between a Town Team and a Club team is not that great if the Town Team does all that a typical Club Team does. Especially if the Town hires a paid coach.
- Either way you will spend thousands of dollars.
- Town Teams are not free.
- Not all club teams charge the same amount of money to play for their team.

“If you in a community more known for baseball, then you are most likely going to have to go the outside travel team route and deal with all the politics there, and pay $5k (with travel expenses) on top of it.”

Fact: There are politics involved with Town Programs as well. Some people argue that the politics with town programs are worse than the politics associated with travel programs.
(travel expenses are the same for both Town and Travel Team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really? Town teams charge upwards of $2k to be on the team? Town teams charge $150 for tryouts? Town teams mandate a new helmet, uniform and gloves every year? Town teams "suggest" you do the extra training and clinics, that are all an additional charge? Hmm. Please name the town. We would all be interested to know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really? Town teams charge upwards of $2k to be on the team? Town teams charge $150 for tryouts? Town teams mandate a new helmet, uniform and gloves every year? Town teams "suggest" you do the extra training and clinics, that are all an additional charge? Hmm. Please name the town. We would all be interested to know.

This sounds like Team Smithtown, except the tryout wasn't that expensive and I think the cost is under $2k (including all the "suggested" extras), but still not free and has town politics to deal with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Did you read what was said? The post that you responded to pointed FACTS that did not support the original posters perspective or opinions.

You sound like another bitter person who does not want anyone to do what you do not want to do.

You seem to be focussed only on the cost. Some people choose to focus on value. The nice part about it is that you have a choice. You can choose to play for any of the following: Town Team, Less costly club, moderately priced club or one of the more expensive clubs or you can choose to not have your son play at all.

A town youth program that chooses to participate in all listed below will cost approximately $1,300 - $1,400 for the year. If they add a second payed coach that cost will go up another $100 - $200. The cost to travel to away tournaments is the same for both club and town teams.

-Fall League
-Fall Tournaments
-Winter indoor time
-Winter travel league
-Winter Tournament
-Winter Intramural (some towns)
-Spring League
-Spring Intramural (some towns)
-Spring / Summer Tournaments
-Paid Coaching

I did not put in suggest camps, clinics, training, private lessons etc... but many kids in the stronger lacrosse towns choose to participate in all.

Town only is not free.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Been there done that!! Middle school is an equalizer, for my son at least. Funny how now that the boys are in 10th grade, the coaches son, as well as the boys whos parents had their noses up coaches but are riding the bench, while several 2nd and 3rd stringers are D1 bound!

What kool aid are you drinking? Not really sure any 3rd stringers and only a few 2nd stringers are D1 bound. If that's the case sign me up for the program!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He means that that kids that didn't play much in PAL due to the coach dynamics now are starters in HS . I have seen this first hand in my town although NOT in lax. Soccer and Basketball do it a lot. Even in the sports my son does not play I look forward to dead panning when I see dad coaches and I get to say " YOur son didn't make the team ? Why isn't he getting any playing time? Im shocked "

What kool aid are you drinking? Not really sure any 3rd stringers and only a few 2nd stringers are D1 bound. If that's the case sign me up for the program!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think what they are saying are those that were 2nd 3rd string in Youth are now flourishing in HS.

I can see that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FACT!! Happened on the town team where daddy was coach. His starters are not making varsity (10th grade) this year while 2 second stringers (one formerly 3rd) have been playing varsity since last year and are committed to top D1 programs. Sorry you don't want to accept the truth!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FACT!! Happened on the town team where daddy was coach. His starters are not making varsity (10th grade) this year while 2 second stringers (one formerly 3rd) have been playing varsity since last year and are committed to top D1 programs. Sorry you don't want to accept the truth!

Many people on this site do not want to accept the truth.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just don't play PAL. Tons of travel options from costly to affordable. Don't know why people feel they have to play town - especially before 7 grade and if the program stinks. I say 7th grade because middle school the real politics start. That said, a lot of towns do a good job - but they are usually anti club. But all-in-all PAL can be boring for skilled players and not fulfilling for those who want to learn the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And the above posts make clear that so much of this is about who gets showcased and when. When daddy is coaching, his kid (and the kids of his buddies) get showcased and are then seen as the better kids. If a kid is not on the field as much he cannot impress and, more importantly, isn't improving as fast. Take a kid put him as a first line middie and also on your man-up team. Then take the same kid off man-up and put him on the third middie line...and see what happens. That is the problem with daddy coaches...it too often becomes arbitrary nonsense based on politics and uninformed preferences which turn out to be wrong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have learned the hard way about PAL. I stuck through the town PAL program. I was fortunate enough to have one of the better players out of the grades my children were in. Each having 60+ players. But the turmoil and heart ache for both the developmental and Skilled players and families is unbelievable and that was for each grade and level boys and girls not just my children's teams or grade.

We stuck with PAL for all the right reason, so my children played with their friends, so we showed loyalty to the town, so we could be a part of helping the program grow. But looking back it was not a fun ride. Many sportsmanship ideals and values I tried to instill seem to be tested at each turn.

I wish PAL would figure out a smarter way to bridge the gap in player development and skill. No matter Suffolk or Nassau.

We are fortunate to have a positive experiences within the travel circuit on a top organization and team. Unfortunately for what I know now for a player like my son and some of his friends travel was a great outlet. I wished I had made the switch as early as 3rd grade.

For someone who has had a positive experience and would do travel earlier if I had to do all over again, I wished the HS coaches were more involved with the town youth programs, I wish and still think there is room for both town and travel youth through HS years.

I have witnessed some very good teams from the West, Maryland and Virgnia. Many of these teams are not typical travel teams but superstar travel teams. I wished LI would do that. Maybe for a week or 2. Pair up some of the better players and make 2 teams per grade and go compete with FCA and the rest. This allows our players to broaden their experiences.

Maybe some of the HS or even MS coaches can get together and try and set the stage to accomplish this. Similar to the Rising Sophs, Jrs Sr games between Nassau and Suffolk. I am not so sure how corrupt those games are as this will be our first experience within that but on its face it sounds like a great idea.

What do you think?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have learned the hard way about PAL. I stuck through the town PAL program. I was fortunate enough to have one of the better players out of the grades my children were in. Each having 60+ players. But the turmoil and heart ache for both the developmental and Skilled players and families is unbelievable and that was for each grade and level boys and girls not just my children's teams or grade.

We stuck with PAL for all the right reason, so my children played with their friends, so we showed loyalty to the town, so we could be a part of helping the program grow. But looking back it was not a fun ride. Many sportsmanship ideals and values I tried to instill seem to be tested at each turn.

I wish PAL would figure out a smarter way to bridge the gap in player development and skill. No matter Suffolk or Nassau.

We are fortunate to have a positive experiences within the travel circuit on a top organization and team. Unfortunately for what I know now for a player like my son and some of his friends travel was a great outlet. I wished I had made the switch as early as 3rd grade.

For someone who has had a positive experience and would do travel earlier if I had to do all over again, I wished the HS coaches were more involved with the town youth programs, I wish and still think there is room for both town and travel youth through HS years.

I have witnessed some very good teams from the West, Maryland and Virgnia. Many of these teams are not typical travel teams but superstar travel teams. I wished LI would do that. Maybe for a week or 2. Pair up some of the better players and make 2 teams per grade and go compete with FCA and the rest. This allows our players to broaden their experiences.

Maybe some of the HS or even MS coaches can get together and try and set the stage to accomplish this. Similar to the Rising Sophs, Jrs Sr games between Nassau and Suffolk. I am not so sure how corrupt those games are as this will be our first experience within that but on its face it sounds like a great idea.

What do you think?

Were you a PAL coach ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do you think?

Were you a PAL coach ? Once upon a time; that is the last I answer of who I am.

Like Reply Quote
Page 12 of 31 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard