BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,603
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Great topic...how do you handle the HS Coach who requests that kids play with the HS team thru the summer tournament schedule and if you do not, you are told it will impact your play time when school ball comes around ? I have had to address this with my son who plays at a high travel level with Express and as a 9th grader should not have to face this issue from the HS Coach. We do not come from a strong HS program, and the exposure with Express is much greater. Open to your comments

Unfortunately, this exact scenario is very common and will probably affect my son in another couple years...

Stay with the travel team and the coach that knows how to get the most for his players. If your son is that good- they will play him- because the HS wants to win- that is their bottom line. If he gets less playing time- their loss- he will still get his share on the travel team and then some fun with his town friends at the HS. Best of luck to your son.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hills has a great progam, I think this post about the 2 high schools was referring to a weaker program....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would have to say play with Express for the summer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for the comment. That is the road i planned on taking, good to get some other feedback

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This trend has reached a new level in Ward Melville. For years, the youth program has said if you play outside of our 3 village program you can’t play on the town travel team. That was fine and everyone understood their options. Some families stayed with the town program, but some also left for select teams like express, 91 team LI...The families that left generally have either really good players that wanted more competition than town team tournaments, or players that weren’t as strong that weren’t getting playing time on the town team. It was sad that the teams lost players and the boys lost the opportunity to practice and play with their friends, but generally it worked out ok for all.

Now, at the HS travel level they have two teams-Green and Gold (JV and Varsity) being coached by HS coaches. At the recent try-outs, there were approximately 100 boys for roughly 50 spots. There were several boys trying out that had previously played on select teams (all whom are now very strong players). Having talked to some of those families I learned that they were trying out to make sure the HS coaches knew their kid existed…

At the end of the try-out, the coaches thanked all for the boys for trying out and were pretty open about their expectations. They don’t want any Ward Melville boys playing outside of their reams. The threat is clear, play elsewhere and you have no shot at playing on the Varsity team ever. Now, for most of the boys, the threat is really nonsense as the HS varsity team rarely plays more than 12 or 13 boys during any game (except for last Q in a blowout, starters don’t leave the field). So unless you have a real shot to be one of those 12 or 13, you should tell the coach to jump off the local bridge. However, if you have a shot to be one of those, then you are in a ridiculous bind. The coaches want the boys together because they say it makes the HS team stronger and it is a fair point. But all the boys want the chance to play. So if you are one of the 12 or 13 you get looked at by colleges and have a shot to get recruited, but if your are not and only play at junk time, no one ever sees you.

The summer team plays 5 tournaments and so unless you are on of the 12 or 13, you need to get really lucky to get an opportunity for a college coach to see you do anything…It is left to each kid to figure out how to get himself recruited.

The net result in WM is that at any given time there are 10 kids that won’t see the field that would get a starting job at most other HS programs. They are giving up their shot to play and get looked at by colleges (remember D II and D III are really great options for most kids) –all to make the HS program stronger???

In my humble opinion this is a completely inappropriate use of power by a HS coach, by a school district and a complete shame. I have heard a rumor that Smithtown is making a similar threat and as a result I suspect Turtles team will also be impacted as some will choose HS team over Turtle team.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This trend has reached a new level in Ward Melville. For years, the youth program has said if you play outside of our 3 village program you can’t play on the town travel team. That was fine and everyone understood their options. Some families stayed with the town program, but some also left for select teams like express, 91 team LI...The families that left generally have either really good players that wanted more competition than town team tournaments, or players that weren’t as strong that weren’t getting playing time on the town team. It was sad that the teams lost players and the boys lost the opportunity to practice and play with their friends, but generally it worked out ok for all.

Now, at the HS travel level they have two teams-Green and Gold (JV and Varsity) being coached by HS coaches. At the recent try-outs, there were approximately 100 boys for roughly 50 spots. There were several boys trying out that had previously played on select teams (all whom are now very strong players). Having talked to some of those families I learned that they were trying out to make sure the HS coaches knew their kid existed…

At the end of the try-out, the coaches thanked all for the boys for trying out and were pretty open about their expectations. They don’t want any Ward Melville boys playing outside of their reams. The threat is clear, play elsewhere and you have no shot at playing on the Varsity team ever. Now, for most of the boys, the threat is really nonsense as the HS varsity team rarely plays more than 12 or 13 boys during any game (except for last Q in a blowout, starters don’t leave the field). So unless you have a real shot to be one of those 12 or 13, you should tell the coach to jump off the local bridge. However, if you have a shot to be one of those, then you are in a ridiculous bind. The coaches want the boys together because they say it makes the HS team stronger and it is a fair point. But all the boys want the chance to play. So if you are one of the 12 or 13 you get looked at by colleges and have a shot to get recruited, but if your are not and only play at junk time, no one ever sees you.

The summer team plays 5 tournaments and so unless you are on of the 12 or 13, you need to get really lucky to get an opportunity for a college coach to see you do anything…It is left to each kid to figure out how to get himself recruited.

The net result in WM is that at any given time there are 10 kids that won’t see the field that would get a starting job at most other HS programs. They are giving up their shot to play and get looked at by colleges (remember D II and D III are really great options for most kids) –all to make the HS program stronger???

In my humble opinion this is a completely inappropriate use of power by a HS coach, by a school district and a complete shame. I have heard a rumor that Smithtown is making a similar threat and as a result I suspect Turtles team will also be impacted as some will choose HS team over Turtle team.

Excellent post. There are many other HS coaches trying to do the same thing. It is unfair for any kid or family to be strong armed into playing for their town team on their own FREE time. In addition, in most cases it borders on extortion. These coaches are profiting Big time! The coaches use the fear of not playing to line their pockets! There is also the issue that most of the town teams will not compete with the best travel teams. In those recruiting tournaments it is tough to be seen by college coaches when you are playing in the B bracket or consolation games on the back fields. If you are a true A player that can compete on a top travel team you may never get recruited because nobody will see you. The shame of it all is that there is another 10 months out of the year that these HS teams can build chemistry by doing clinics, leagues an tournaments! If these coaches truly have the kids best interest in mind they would want them to get as many opportunities as they can and by doing both they will have coaching diversity and their stick in their hand even more! Parents should not let their kids be bullied and make sure that they don't miss out on the opportunity for their child to play in college!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Talk to the coach and ask him point blank, if my son plays for you and not travel will he get meaningfull time? If he does not, how does he go about getting recruited ? AT least force the coach to sympathize with you so there are no hard feelings?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whah...

Every town that has a program should do the same. Especially if you are in the same division as WM. didn't WI just do he same thing and let the 2018 boys know this is not a joke.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ward Melville has been one of the best HS teams in the country for over 20 years so what ever they are doing works!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HS coaches will play the best players. Even if those kids aren't on their summer travel teams. Being on a club team gives a player another avenue to get college looks instead of being blackmailed by his HS coach.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once you hit Varsity on WI thats it, no more travel teams outside of their own.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Excellent post. There are many other HS coaches trying to do the same thing. It is unfair for any kid or family to be strong armed into playing for their town team on their own FREE time. In addition, in most cases it borders on extortion. These coaches are profiting Big time! The coaches use the fear of not playing to line their pockets! There is also the issue that most of the town teams will not compete with the best travel teams. In those recruiting tournaments it is tough to be seen by college coaches when you are playing in the B bracket or consolation games on the back fields. If you are a true A player that can compete on a top travel team you may never get recruited because nobody will see you. The shame of it all is that there is another 10 months out of the year that these HS teams can build chemistry by doing clinics, leagues an tournaments! If these coaches truly have the kids best interest in mind they would want them to get as many opportunities as they can and by doing both they will have coaching diversity and their stick in their hand even more! Parents should not let their kids be bullied and make sure that they don't miss out on the opportunity for their child to play in college!

The Smithtown HS coaches have neglected the youth program for years. Now they want to reap the benefits of the Club teams. School is out in Summer and where your kid plays should be up to the consumer. If the HS coach convinces me my kid will get the best coaching, best training, best clinics, best teammates, best competition, and plenty of playing time, he might get my attention. Maybe he could throw a free helmet in too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All this dam crying about fair and not fair. We have completely given in to the whining parent. If your kids not good enough he's not good enough that's it. Sorry if I am going to ruffle some feathers but its not PAL its not rec league where everyone get a trophy. A high school coaches career is measured on wins and losses. You win you keep your job as a coach you lose, bye bye. Thats it. Coaches,they coach and live, love the game but in the end its results. Let's put it in everyday terms for people to understand. You are in sales and work on commission you don't produce you don't have money to pay bills, and your out of a job. Do you guys get it or let's put it do you moms get it. It's not all rainbows and lollipops in the real world. Why do we think our kids are entitled it doesn't work that way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Smithtown HS coaches have neglected the youth program for years. Now they want to reap the benefits of the Club teams. School is out in Summer and where your kid plays should be up to the consumer. If the HS coach convinces me my kid will get the best coaching, best training, best clinics, best teammates, best competition, and plenty of playing time, he might get my attention. Maybe he could throw a free helmet in too.

"Free" Helemet.....that's funny

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

All this dam crying about fair and not fair. We have completely given in to the whining parent. If your kids not good enough he's not good enough that's it. Sorry if I am going to ruffle some feathers but its not PAL its not rec league where everyone get a trophy. A high school coaches career is measured on wins and losses. You win you keep your job as a coach you lose, bye bye. Thats it. Coaches,they coach and live, love the game but in the end its results. Let's put it in everyday terms for people to understand. You are in sales and work on commission you don't produce you don't have money to pay bills, and your out of a job. Do you guys get it or let's put it do you moms get it. It's not all rainbows and lollipops in the real world. Why do we think our kids are entitled it doesn't work that way.

What school district do you live in??? In my district and many others I've read about here on BOTC a coach keeps his/her job until he/she steps down. It has little to do with wins and losses.

I think what the schools mentioned above is doing is wrong on a number of levels, but you assuming that the parents complaining are whining because their kid isn't good enough is missing the point. The point is about control by and making money for the HS coaches. Kids get recruited at summer tournaments by and large, not at HS games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the poster above with the comment about sales--

You miss the point completely. If you sell you get paid--we agree, but what if yoour boss said--you must give kickbacks to get the sale? You must take 50% of your commision check and give it to me every month after you pay your taxes otherwise you cant sell for my or my company?

You would go find another job or you would break the law and give the guy your money...

Kids cant change schools and I really dont care about the HS coach and his coaching record. I care about my kid getting a fair shake.

I will leave it to you to worry about the coach and his record and whether your HS won the state championship.

Are you still bragging about your greatest HS sports moment???

Wake up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are way off! This has nothing to do with crying parents. It is about HS coaches putting their pocket books ahead of the best interest of the teams and kids individual growth and opportunity.
I do believe that the issues are very different for the larger schools as opposed to the small schools. The larger schools like Ward Melville and WI the issue is you can be a very good player who doesn't crack the starting line up or has very good upperclassmen in front of you and as a 9th, 10th or 11th grader will not see the field much, thus not get an opportunity to be recruited during the summer. If you played on a very good travel team in the summer you would get the opportunity. For the smaller schools it effects the BEST kids! They generally can not put a team on the field that will compete with the best travel teams or the best HS teams, so those teams end up in B brackets and don't have nearly the quantity or quality of college coaches at the games. So those top kids would be way better off on their travel teams for the summer and playing with the town team when they can, but the HS coaches tell them they can't play both! (all about the money)!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Interesting you say Smithtown. The West coach is listed on the LI Thunder website. So does he really push kids to Team Smithtown or can they play for Thunder?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think your arrogant and are not listening. The point is that if a kid is good enough to go D2 but cant get on the field on his HS team and then has to be play with them in summer or face retribution he will NEVER be looked at. My friends kid played at a powerhouse HS, he refused to play on their summer travel, in the end he actually sent his kid to a different HS where he started and received a big chunk of money from a D2 school. Not to mention, you thinkthe parent who lines the coaches pockets in the summer wont getter preferential treatment ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems to me if you were truly being threatened or a HS coach were implying that this could effect your child's playing time, it should be brought to the attention of the school district administration and Board of Ed. I am sure this would solve any conflicts quickly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think the point might be that the kid IS good enough and the best situation for the kid might be to play on a select team and get better college looks then he might get on his HS team. and because WM amongst others have a very good team and the same kid might be starting as a soph on a lesser team and getting great college looks while at WM he may not play until his senior year where the best college opportunities may be gone. Chaminade might be the best example, 10th graders almost never play at Chaminade yet these boys play for various travel teams in the summer and get recruited the same kid at WM and is "encouraged" to play with the HS does not get those looks. so leaving pomposity out of it each parent must do what they think is best for their own kid and understand that there may be seen or unforeseen ramifications of that decision

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

What school district do you live in??? In my district and many others I've read about here on BOTC a coach keeps his/her job until he/she steps down. It has little to do with wins and losses.

I think what the schools mentioned above is doing is wrong on a number of levels, but you assuming that the parents complaining are whining because their kid isn't good enough is missing the point. The point is about control by and making money for the HS coaches. Kids get recruited at summer tournaments by and large, not at HS games.

Most under performing coaches are asked to step down. That has been what I have seen and been involved with. Rarely do you see changes at a succesful program. The high school coach isnt about individual play its about team play and having the players who will eventually being playing together from 9th-12th staying together in the off season. The more cohesive the team is, the better. Playing together all year is about that. The high school coach wants to win and is truly at a disadvantage because club teams are going year round and not just summer. To ensure success they are asking players and parents to commit to them. I wish my town would impliment this. Our problem is we are a smaller district and players are still deciding on baseball, soccer, and other sports so the player selection is limited. Look at Ward Melville and other High School programs that have implimented that type of strategy and the success they are having.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think your arrogant and are not listening. The point is that if a kid is good enough to go D2 but cant get on the field on his HS team and then has to be play with them in summer or face retribution he will NEVER be looked at. My friends kid played at a powerhouse HS, he refused to play on their summer travel, in the end he actually sent his kid to a different HS where he started and received a big chunk of money from a D2 school. Not to mention, you thinkthe parent who lines the coaches pockets in the summer wont getter preferential treatment ?

Thanks I am arrogant. Damm if your kid is good the coach will play them plain and simple. In real life you will face situations that you dont like like politics, nepotism etc but its how you teach your child to handle these situations. Good for your friend but most people dont have the means to do what he did. So what do you do? Work harder with Johnny and make him a better player so its impossible for the coach not to play him. Thats it. We have created a society of cry baby parents and kids that feel everyone is entitled. I feel bad for this generation of child should mom and dad go on their job interview with them because thats whats happening. If it doesent work mom and dad will fix it. Sad. You ever play D1 or Pro I have and its a dog eat dog world out there. All this A team B team even C teams at school, whats this crap about so we dont hurt anyones feelings. It teaches kids they dont have to work hard to make the varsity or JV because there will be a team for them. Please!!! parents writing town papers to complain about posting Deans list and honor roll listings because those not making it get upset. If my mom or dad ever said anything to my high school or travel coach I would be benched and my parents banned from coming to games. Thats the way it was. I feel bad for high school coaches. They are in a lose, lose situation and its only getting worse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the poster above with the comment about sales--

You miss the point completely. If you sell you get paid--we agree, but what if yoour boss said--you must give kickbacks to get the sale? You must take 50% of your commision check and give it to me every month after you pay your taxes otherwise you cant sell for my or my company?

You would go find another job or you would break the law and give the guy your money...

Kids cant change schools and I really dont care about the HS coach and his coaching record. I care about my kid getting a fair shake.

I will leave it to you to worry about the coach and his record and whether your HS won the state championship.

Are you still bragging about your greatest HS sports moment???

Wake up.

Wake up and get out of sales find a differnt job. If your good your good and there are plenty of opportunities for good sales people. A fair shake is fine and I understand that. You live in NY and on Long Island you want the best for your child thats why you live here. You live in a town that has a long history of lacrosse so you have your kid play lacrosse. Hes good but cant crack the starting lineup and he wants to get better so an option is play travel to get better and more exposure. Well he gets better is in 9th grade and now the coach sees him and see hes better than all his attack but wont paly him. Isnt that counter productive to his goal of winning.

As for bragging about high school, where did that come from. Did I imply or say anyhthing in my post about where I palyed or who I played for. But since you brought it up I did play D1 and Pro ball. You superstar.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can the statement about the 2018 west islip team be explained ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the D-1, Pro guy-

Good for you, happy you were a success not only in the field but in sales as well.

You are classic--

Either everyone agrees with you or they are whiny parents...

Not all about you my friend. And yes, I will do whatever it takes to give my kid the best possible shot. You agree dont you? It is a dog eat dog world, put yourself in the best possible situation to increase your odds of success. Is that not what you do in sales every day? Not about winning a county championship about getting into the best possible school with the best possible education.

I really dont disagree with much of what you say, I disagree with a HS coach telling any kid he cant play if he doesnt spend 9th 10th 11th grade summers on his town travel team as oppossed to a select travel team...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WM mommys crying again....you can go back 30 years & look at the WM varsity roster & look at the breakdown of classes...it hasnt changed...by the time your soft superstar is in 11th grade, his class is down to 12-15 kids, same goes for the 12th
graders, throw in 3-4 10th graders & there you go VARSITY lacrosse. i have been out of 3 village lax for awhile but it use to be about 70-80 kids per grade 3,4,5,6. Its a funnel.
eventually each class gets filtered down to 12-15. Most people would agree that the WM lax program is one of the eleite hs programs in the country, i believe they have a 90% winning %?
(maybe off a little)with that level of success there is a challenge....ultra competitive...a program cant be that consistant for so long without the coaches doing there jobs well & unfortunately too many mommy's & dadda's want to destry it because their soft superstar isnt getting playing time!
raising your soft superstar in a perfect world bubble is a big mistake...enjoy soft johhny when he is 30yrs. old & still on your nipple...great parenting

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WM mommys crying again....you can go back 30 years & look at the WM varsity roster & look at the breakdown of classes...it hasnt changed...by the time your soft superstar is in 11th grade, his class is down to 12-15 kids, same goes for the 12th
graders, throw in 3-4 10th graders & there you go VARSITY lacrosse. i have been out of 3 village lax for awhile but it use to be about 70-80 kids per grade 3,4,5,6. Its a funnel.
eventually each class gets filtered down to 12-15. Most people would agree that the WM lax program is one of the eleite hs programs in the country, i believe they have a 90% winning %?
(maybe off a little)with that level of success there is a challenge....ultra competitive...a program cant be that consistant for so long without the coaches doing there jobs well & unfortunately too many mommy's & dadda's want to destry it because their soft superstar isnt getting playing time!
raising your soft superstar in a perfect world bubble is a big mistake...enjoy soft johhny when he is 30yrs. old & still on your nipple...great parenting

Smithtown has similar issues, years ago the best players from Smithtown played for Smithtown youth. The talent was high and it was prestigious to make the team. The kids that didn't make it went to Express, etc. Over time many of the better players started to play exclusively for other clubs because the Smithtown Board caved to pressure and cut out many of the summer tourneys. Keeping the best town kids together is in the best interest of the overall program. Kids that don't make the cut should be free to explore their options elsewhere. Most of them don't make it for a reason and it's best to learn that early and move on to something else! This year a WM kid actually had the nerve to try to get onto team Smithtown and take a spot away from a Smithtown kid. Lasted for about 1 day!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the D-1, Pro guy-

Good for you, happy you were a success not only in the field but in sales as well.

You are classic--

Either everyone agrees with you or they are whiny parents...

Not all about you my friend. And yes, I will do whatever it takes to give my kid the best possible shot. You agree dont you? It is a dog eat dog world, put yourself in the best possible situation to increase your odds of success. Is that not what you do in sales every day? Not about winning a county championship about getting into the best possible school with the best possible education.

I really dont disagree with much of what you say, I disagree with a HS coach telling any kid he cant play if he doesnt spend 9th 10th 11th grade summers on his town travel team as oppossed to a select travel team...

Again as I said before if the kid is good any coach will see that and play a player that increases his odds to win. I dont know by your posts but are you speaking from experience with this paticular issue. We all do whatever we can to provide the best of everything for our kids. A large percentage of time its a parent complaining Johnny isnt getting playing time but Johnny has not done a single iota of extra work to get better or they're the parent busy on the phone while Johnny is counting daisys in the field. They have no clue. If I am mistaken I am mistaken. The odds are slim that many kids will get a scholarship for lacrosse but lacrosse can give you the opportunity to go to a school you might not have been able to get in soley on grades. Love the game and understand that certain towns are trying to emulate what WM and WI have done over the years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sarcasm aside, I agree with your funnel analog but back to the question at hand...If WM has 12-15 Seniors and 12-15 Juniors and 3-4 Sophomores (and I agree with your thought process) then how does Sophomores 5-6-7-8-9 and 10 get college looks if they stay with the high school team over the summer going into 10th grade, they will probably not be on the varsity summer team but the summer going into their sophomore year is now crucial to recruiting and I think that all the original poster was saying is if as a parent you think you have the best chance to get your son college looks playing with 91 the WM why shouldn't you be allowed without re-percussion, and how does the HS coach that has a financial interest in your son playing for the school team demand that he does?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are a schmuck...You don't deserve a response, you deserve a smack.

Put on your big boy pants and your thinking cap.

Not about you silly little man, move into the future and away from your silly little meaningless past. The world has changed and silly people like you have moved on...sounds like life beat you up pretty good. Hope you recover and get to a place of peace!

for the last time, if you can focus, it is not about winning HS championships, except for people like you who continue to trade on them for 30 years??? wow, move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can the statement about the 2018 west islip team be explained ?

Yes, please explain. Are they still using out of town kids ? How is that helping the school program ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am fed up with arrogant over-zealous coaches,and their successful programs. My kid is the best, and I built a million dollar company, and me, my kid and my ten employees will roll on down to Ward Melville, and take on the Rotanzes and anyone else who cares to show up mano-a-mano on the field. But Tim R. has to play in flip flops. Fair is fair. Otherwise, I don't care. They can even play with Power Shafts. Except Tim, who has to use a whiffle ball bat. Who are these coaches and why do they think they can tell a bunch of kids what to do? I may be a nightmare, and I may be off my meds, but I'll get all MadLax on anyone who doesn't smile when speaking to the boys. I'm a parents dream, and this is my new ambition in life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think u need to be realistic with your sons ability & dont get caught up with all the soph. verbal commit. info you see on the internet.The Acc schols, Hop, ND, etc. they are scooping up very young talent at the lower age brackets. But these kids are heads & tails above others right now. Most recruiting classes are 10-12 kids thats it. so let all the bigtime schools take there 10-12. It still leaves A TON of excellent lacrosse schools to consider....and many of them follow players into jr. sr. year before offering a spot.Not to mention D2 & D3 dont get going until late jr. sr. year as well.
Look at the WM goalie this year, he didn't get looked at until spring of senior year. He did it right....kicked [lacrosse] in the classroom & was accepted to a few ivy's w/o lacrosse...he was given a spot at Cornell. Collge coaches are always communicating with hs coaches and asking, what do you have coming up? and again, if your kid has that potential, his hs coach will pass that along. i would also check out individual colleges that have one day clinics...some times called prospect days...usually resonable $$ the college coaching staff
puts the players through a typical team practice & they get to see what you have. Many do these in the fall on a Sunday...worth looking into. Last remember these hs coaches spend alot of time with your kid in season..6 days a week. They put the best players on the field based on what they see
6 days a week. You as a parent arent there to see how your kid is performing. Many parents just cant handle the reality...especially some of the parents who coached at the youth level & there kid is longer a star on the school team.bottom line is that if your kid plays on a LI hs team and is
recruit level, college coaches will find him. college coaches know where & how to find players.. there job depends on it. You as a parent have to be able to accept the truth of your kids ability...& that is a major problem when its not favorable.....but thats life!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think u need to be realistic with your sons ability & dont get caught up with all the soph. verbal commit. info you see on the internet.The Acc schols, Hop, ND, etc. they are scooping up very young talent at the lower age brackets. But these kids are heads & tails above others right now. Most recruiting classes are 10-12 kids thats it. so let all the bigtime schools take there 10-12. It still leaves A TON of excellent lacrosse schools to consider....and many of them follow players into jr. sr. year before offering a spot.Not to mention D2 & D3 dont get going until late jr. sr. year as well.
Look at the WM goalie this year, he didn't get looked at until spring of senior year. He did it right....kicked [lacrosse] in the classroom & was accepted to a few ivy's w/o lacrosse...he was given a spot at Cornell. Collge coaches are always communicating with hs coaches and asking, what do you have coming up? and again, if your kid has that potential, his hs coach will pass that along. i would also check out individual colleges that have one day clinics...some times called prospect days...usually resonable $$ the college coaching staff
puts the players through a typical team practice & they get to see what you have. Many do these in the fall on a Sunday...worth looking into. Last remember these hs coaches spend alot of time with your kid in season..6 days a week. They put the best players on the field based on what they see
6 days a week. You as a parent arent there to see how your kid is performing. Many parents just cant handle the reality...especially some of the parents who coached at the youth level & there kid is longer a star on the school team.bottom line is that if your kid plays on a LI hs team and is
recruit level, college coaches will find him. college coaches know where & how to find players.. there job depends on it. You as a parent have to be able to accept the truth of your kids ability...& that is a major problem when its not favorable.....but thats life!

bottom line, travel teams help kids find good fits at the college level that if they played only with their school team wold never ever of happened. Nobodys bitching that their kids dont get to play on the HS team, they are upset that these HS coaches are trying to STOP them from going someplace where they CAN play and get RECRUITED. Like I said, if my buddys kid did what some of these posters suggested he lax days would be over and he would be paying full freight. Instead he is playing d2 with a half scholarship. WHy is anyone here against that ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another person missing the point...not about one kid, about a system where HS coaches are strong arming all kids in their disctrict to either play (and Pay) for their travel team or forget about playing HS lax...

Come on people, you don't see this as a major conflict? HS coaches should be banned from running clinics and teams in the sprots they coach at the HS level.

Unlike college coaches, most LI public HS coaches are not professional coaches, they are teachers that coach for the extra cash. They teach bio and math and spanish and gym, they dont get their jobs because they are great coaches in any sport, they get their jobs because they can teach bio and math...

They are using their positions of power to force people to pay them. Plain and simple, conflict of interest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That was a great post, thanks! All I can add is that your child (son or daughter) and the parents need to visit as many schools as possible so you can see what the campus, population and area are like. Are these schools the right fit for you all? Distance, price, competition level, etc... Contact the coaches by email or telephone... The one day clinics are a great way to visit campus, meet coaching staff and some players... Good luck!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HA...you said nipple

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are 54 D1, 30 D2 men's college lacrosse teams that offer scholarships. I believe the number of scholarships per D1 team is 16.9. As a college coach you can chop up that 16.9 to full, half, quarter scholarships. Take away Ivy but they have creative financial aide. If on average there are 35 players per D1 program that's approximately 1800 D 1 players covering 4-5 graduation years out of the huge numbers playing in this country. If a coach were to get real creative with his scholarships and give out 1/2 to everyone on his team that's only 1728 scholarships per cycle of players. It's a number that is always in flux based on what he needs to do.

Odds are parents your child is not going to get a scholarship there are over 500,000 registered youth lacrosse players and the number is growing year to year. Don't get so caught up in this craziness. Let your kid have a great experience with his friends and teammates allowing him to just be a kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said for the most part. Lucky for the WM goalie to get seen late in the season of his senior year by Cornell. What if WM did not have the same kind of season? He would have ended up going to Bowdoin where he already committed. You then have to ask, why wasn't he seen earlier? How come he was missed? Did he play club or play with his HS team on a mixed grade level?

Like Reply Quote
Page 4 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard