BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,318
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 87 of 214 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 213 214
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes there are some great 7th and 8th graders that can be bought up and play with the varsity girls. IMO start them in JV and if they are holding their own they should be given the chance to play varsity. BTW - They have to pass physical and emotional tests to be bought up to play. Yes it is difficult when the team gets together and your daughter is being driven by her mother instead of letting her be driven by a school friend.....That's the hardest part. But level of play - your daughter has to be an impact player and the team will welcome her. It's up to the coach to set standard levels of play and to back his/her decision up. If an older player is getting bumped by a player whom is better...well that's life. It's also life to be a parent watch her friends, parties etc. It is still up to the parent to say NO. If said 7th/8th grader has older siblings, they know a lot already.

The coach may also be trying to build for the future and may need to develop the team with future leaders.

The only sport where this is reversed is cross country - some upstate teams who win States are filled with the younger girls - however the burn out by the time they reach 12th grade.

Do you hold back a gifted academic student to regular classes when AP is more challenging up to level and a chance for the student to grow and learn? To you move them up so their growth potential is not stagnated?

It's a fine balance.

The evaluation/test of middle schooler is a joke, more often than not its supervised by the coach that wants the player, I've never heard of anyone not passing

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes there are some great 7th and 8th graders that can be bought up and play with the varsity girls. IMO start them in JV and if they are holding their own they should be given the chance to play varsity. BTW - They have to pass physical and emotional tests to be bought up to play. Yes it is difficult when the team gets together and your daughter is being driven by her mother instead of letting her be driven by a school friend.....That's the hardest part. But level of play - your daughter has to be an impact player and the team will welcome her. It's up to the coach to set standard levels of play and to back his/her decision up. If an older player is getting bumped by a player whom is better...well that's life. It's also life to be a parent watch her friends, parties etc. It is still up to the parent to say NO. If said 7th/8th grader has older siblings, they know a lot already.

The coach may also be trying to build for the future and may need to develop the team with future leaders.

The only sport where this is reversed is cross country - some upstate teams who win States are filled with the younger girls - however the burn out by the time they reach 12th grade.

Do you hold back a gifted academic student to regular classes when AP is more challenging up to level and a chance for the student to grow and learn? To you move them up so their growth potential is not stagnated?

It's a fine balance.

The evaluation/test of middle schooler is a joke, more often than not its supervised by the coach that wants the player, I've never heard of anyone not passing

Port Washington had an 8th grade goalie fail this year and she was filling a vacancy by graduation. She failed running. That’s the AD. S

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anyone know how the CSH round robin went today?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Played in round robin with wm today. What's up with them???

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard Ridgewood beat Garden City, realize its pre-season

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's a fine balance.

Port Washington had an 8th grade goalie fail this year and she was filling a vacancy by graduation. She failed running. That’s the AD. S

She's a goalie lol. How did she get that position in the first place? Not running. Duh.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's a fine balance.

She's a goalie lol. How did she get that position in the first place? Not running. Duh.

No but any other town the running would have been overlooked for the betterment of the program I’m sure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Any sleepers that could make a run in Suffolk this year? Westhampton? Riverhead?

Don't think so. Best bet in final four is:

Northport
West Islip
Smithtown E
Smithtown W

Riverhrad still too young.

I bet there are 8th graders on all of the above 4 teams...

Not WI

I don't think northport either?

WI and Northport don't have 8th or 9th graders that can help their teams. I'm sure if they had impact players they'd be up and contributing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any other teams have the girls write some YJ BS on their skin before their HS games?

What are they writing?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any other teams have the girls write some YJ BS on their skin before their HS games?

What are they writing?

They are writing their new motto......Fear the Hummingbird. Its a gentle sap sucking bird.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can not believe the number of parents coaching their daughters from the sideline. People who really do not understand the game are yelling out instruction to their kids. I can only imagine what they are telling their kids at home. Note to parents, please stop telling your kids what to do on the field. You are not helping, you are hurting the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can not believe the number of parents coaching their daughters from the sideline. People who really do not understand the game are yelling out instruction to their kids. I can only imagine what they are telling their kids at home. Note to parents, please stop telling your kids what to do on the field. You are not helping, you are hurting the team.

I agree with you.Every kid is playing club nowadays. For these parents the committing and recruiting stakes are the end all be all. Used to be you only played your opponent but today parents view their kids as playing against their teammates. Go to GOAL!!! Used to be a great team game, not anymore. Too much college BS and me first play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with you.Every kid is playing club nowadays. For these parents the committing and recruiting stakes are the end all be all. Used to be you only played your opponent but today parents view their kids as playing against their teammates. Go to GOAL!!! Used to be a great team game, not anymore. Too much college BS and me first play.

Not sure that club has anything to do with it. I think it comes down to coaching. A strong HS coach will put an end to the selfish play very quickly. I think when you have a weak HS coach they do not know how to handle the selfish players so the behavior is allowed to continue. It is not only the head down go to goal every time you touch the ball that is a problem. The player who is constantly out of position, getting in the way of her teammates, constantly running all over the field calling for the ball, chasing the ball when re-defending and or playing defense while leaving an open player or space. (that type of play might be worse than the run of the mill ball hog).

Some people do not understand that it is a team game. I guess they do not care, if the team loses but their daughter scores a few goals everything is great.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Simply put, it’s a great game that is being ruined by delusional parents . It’s so uncomfortable to watch a game amongst loud mouth parents who only cheer for their own kid and second guess the coaches while reffing the game at same time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure that club has anything to do with it. I think it comes down to coaching. A strong HS coach will put an end to the selfish play very quickly. I think when you have a weak HS coach they do not know how to handle the selfish players so the behavior is allowed to continue. It is not only the head down go to goal every time you touch the ball that is a problem. The player who is constantly out of position, getting in the way of her teammates, constantly running all over the field calling for the ball, chasing the ball when re-defending and or playing defense while leaving an open player or space. (that type of play might be worse than the run of the mill ball hog).

Some people do not understand that it is a team game. I guess they do not care, if the team loses but their daughter scores a few goals everything is great.

Well on our team the parents who drive their kids to Maryland every weekend are the most vocal and obnoxious. The other parents are talking about everything else but lacrosse. One because they still don't understand the game and two rarely do their kids get passed the ball. Its actually pretty funny. Really good athletes in other sports and lacrosse but since its not their #1 sport they usually don't see the ball. So much so that the other parents have to tell the parents who aren't paying attention HEY, mary just was passed the ball Haha

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a question my BAC community, My daughter plays club she is an average player. She could become better with more coaching and strong coaching at that. She is still undecided as to what school she really wants to attend SJB or SA. My husband and I are not interested in the teams records or past performance, because in Catholic you only play a hand full of school in the division anyway. We value the coaches abilities to make 50/50 players 70/30 or even 80/20. She also does soccer, but she wants to focus on lacrosse as primary. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe your money would be better put to use by attending ESL classes or remedial writing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Simply put, it’s a great game that is being ruined by delusional parents . It’s so uncomfortable to watch a game amongst loud mouth parents who only cheer for their own kid and second guess the coaches while reffing the game at same time.

Second guessing the coach and reffing the game are part of sport. Go to a college Bball game or a super bowl party and you will hear it. The real problem is parents (especially the ones who do not know the game) coaching from the sideline and at home.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Second guessing the coach and reffing the game are part of sport. Go to a college Bball game or a super bowl party and you will hear it. The real problem is parents (especially the ones who do not know the game) coaching from the sideline and at home.

Completely agree. These parents think their daughter is the only one on the field. Next time you hear one of them barking out orders from the sideline ask them what they would like the other 11 players on the field to do. Ask them what they think their daughter should be doing when she does not have the ball (they will tell you she should be trying to get the ball).

Questioning the coach or the official in most cases is not a problem. Arm chair quarterbacks question professional athletes and coaches all the time they also yell at the officials. Those two things do not influence the game. The parent who coaches from the sideline or who gives the wrong instruction at home is actually hurting the team. It is a team sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Try this.... cheer for all of the kids with the same enthusiasm you cheer for your own. If everyone did that it would be great to attend the games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Try this.... cheer for all of the kids with the same enthusiasm you cheer for your own. If everyone did that it would be great to attend the games.

Try this.....Drop lax and play in the band.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a question my BAC community, My daughter plays club she is an average player. She could become better with more coaching and strong coaching at that. She is still undecided as to what school she really wants to attend SJB or SA. My husband and I are not interested in the teams records or past performance, because in Catholic you only play a hand full of school in the division anyway. We value the coaches abilities to make 50/50 players 70/30 or even 80/20. She also does soccer, but she wants to focus on lacrosse as primary. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Athletics shouldn't be the primary reason for choosing a school. Let her choose the school that is the right feel for her. both of those schools have excellent athletics and academics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Athletics shouldn't be the primary reason for choosing a school. Let her choose the school that is the right feel for her. both of those schools have excellent athletics and academics.

Yes, you should focus on what feels like the best fit for your daughter academically, socially and extracurriculars. I have had girls in the catholic system for many years. If your daughter is "Average", she might not make STA's and if she does, won't see the field. There are D1 commits who don't play in games. SJB coach is good, has had some down years the last 2, but SJB will be much easier to make the team than at STA's.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St. A's just cut a few juniors...so nothing is given there..not sure about SJB....kids have to be better than the next girl or they will get cut/ride the bench..that gets old if your daughter likes the sport..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Making a team at St A's is harder than making most D3 schools just because of the amount of players looking to play

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yea sure it is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Making a team at St A's is harder than making most D3 schools just because of the amount of players looking to play

LOL, academically most of the athletes at SA couldn't get into a decent D3 school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Talent is way down at St Ants compared to the Bill/Behr days...so you can relax mom...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SA is ranked eight in the country

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Opening day in HS lax - how did it go? Any interesting scores? Story lines? A lot of big scoring?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Short answer is SA is very competitive, coach does training$ on the side for cash, if you want to get on that asap it can only help, but most kids started doing that in 6-7 grade and she is a little crazy. The school in general has a win at all cost mentality, so if your daughter isn't a stud her opportunities will be minimal in both sports - soccer coach also runs a pay to play club team and steers all her players to SA.
SJB isn't really competitive in lacrosse or soccer and it's a much more relaxed atmosphere, she will probably get a shot a significant playing time.
Academically they are about the same. Sacred Heart? Kellenberg? Both much better academically and field competitive teams

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Opening day in HS lax - how did it go? Any interesting scores? Story lines? A lot of big scoring?

Watch Newsday and girls and their parents load up those points against inferior competition. Who will be the first to put a 20 spot on a team like Copagiue. Stat padding and poor coaching

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Watch Newsday and girls and their parents load up those points against inferior competition. Who will be the first to put a 20 spot on a team like Copagiue. Stat padding and poor coaching

OK. So that sounds like a positive and upbeat attitude to start the season!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looks like the big scoring had a 14 point effort in a win by 10

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

High School Lacrosse and Newsday are both irrelevant. 90% of the teams on Long Island are not competitive and 90% of the coaches on Long Island are terrible. Selfish players and their parents create problems on the field as well as the sideline. If you are fortunate enough to play for one of the 8 - 10 strong programs consider yourself lucky.

This will not sit well with many of you but... Thank God for Club Lacrosse. Club lacrosse has provided an outlet for many girls from HS programs with weak coaches to be recognized so that they will be able to pursue their passion at the next level. Every college coach that recruited my daughter said that they could care less about HS lacrosse (yes, our HS situation was discussed). They said that they understand and that they saw what they needed to see during the summer. It was my first time around so I asked a lot of questions and it became very clear to me that HS Lacrosse truly is irrelevant. Maybe if your daughter is fortunate enough to play for GC, Manhasset, Mt. Sinai, BBP, ESM, WI etc... and she has a good HS coach and a legit chance to compete it is fun and positive. For many the HS experience is not positive. It is an unfortunate reality but in the end the HS coach, the delusional parents, the selfish players, the statistics, the honors etc are all meaningless and irrelevant. We are grateful that the club experience was positive and that our daughter will attend a great school with a very competitive lacrosse program. We are optimistic and looking forward to a bright future.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why do you need to bash a particular school or team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOL, academically most of the athletes at SA couldn't get into a decent D3 school

Ohhhh .....those green eyes of Jealousy come out this time of year. The ST A's kids just go to Ivies, Academies etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Newsday and Long Island Girls High School lacrosse are irrelevant. So are the incompetent coaches, the selfish players and the delusional parents. If your daughter is fortunate enough to play for one of the 8 - 10 strong programs consider yourself and your daughter lucky.

This will not sit well with some of you but ... Thank God for Club Lacrosse. Club Lacrosse has provided an outlet for many girls and allowed them to be recognized so that they can continue to pursue their passion at the next level. Newsday, inflated statistics, incompetent coaches, selfish players, meaningless honors and insane parents are all irrelevant. Every college coach who recruited my daughter said that they could care less about HS Lacrosse (yes, the situation was discussed). We were told by the coaches that they saw what they needed to see during the summer and that they really do not pay attention to the HS season. This was our first go round so I ask a lot of questions and it became very clear to me that HS was all BS. Maybe if your daughter plays for a good coach at GC, Manhasset, Mt.Sinai, ESM, WI, BBP etc your daughter will have a fun and meaningful HS career. For many the HS experience is not positive. Incompetent coaches, selfish players and bad sidelines ruin any chance of a fun positive experience. We were fortunate to have Club Lacrosse and we are grateful that our daughter will attend a great school with a competitive lacrosse team and a great coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A Wheatley player put up 14 yesterday..

Like Reply Quote
Page 87 of 214 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard