BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 108 of 264 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Port coaches fired for having kids drive to and from practice and non sanctioned facility

Huntington coach fired as well.

for real? All these coaches do and fired for this? what is a non sanctioned facility? Good luck finding a coach at this time of year.

More about the kids driving themselves. Apparently that’s a fireable offense. Port AD is horrible.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Massapequa and Ward Melville scrimmage today ? Results, commentary ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No.

As for commentary .... Both teams should be very strong. If the stars align maybe they will meet again in the Long Island Championship. Both teams have a target on their back and every team they play will be up for the game trying to knock them off. I know Ward Melville returns many players with a lot of experience. Massapequa returns some very good players as well and I believe they picked up a nice addition to their defense. Smithtown West and Connetquot should be the two toughest league games (maybe Smithtown East) not sure who else will be strong (maybe HHH East). Who will challenge Massapequa? Farmingdale, Syosset? I think WM and Pequa have the two best coaching staffs as well. Time will tell but I think the edge has to go to Ward Melville due to their experience, depth and coaching. Remember, they are HS kids and anything is possible. Good luck to all the teams, it should be an exciting year.

Achilles Heel for both teams:

Ward Melville - Crazy Parents

Massapequa - Crazy Parents

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I did not read or garner any judging in the PW and HUNT coaches firings. Just the reporting of relevant lax news and the reason for one of them. Now go back to your cubicle Dilbert and save the diatribe.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No.

As for commentary .... Both teams should be very strong. If the stars align maybe they will meet again in the Long Island Championship. Both teams have a target on their back and every team they play will be up for the game trying to knock them off. I know Ward Melville returns many players with a lot of experience. Massapequa returns some very good players as well and I believe they picked up a nice addition to their defense. Smithtown West and Connetquot should be the two toughest league games (maybe Smithtown East) not sure who else will be strong (maybe HHH East). Who will challenge Massapequa? Farmingdale, Syosset? I think WM and Pequa have the two best coaching staffs as well. Time will tell but I think the edge has to go to Ward Melville due to their experience, depth and coaching. Remember, they are HS kids and anything is possible. Good luck to all the teams, it should be an exciting year.

Achilles Heel for both teams:

Ward Melville - Crazy Parents

Massapequa - Crazy Parents

Achilles Heel for EVERY HS team - Crazy Parents! ;-)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The lax power forum is so much more civil. Really. I enjoy the sarcasm and bitterness and anger here though, kind of like slowing down while passing a car wreck...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I did not read or garner any judging in the PW and HUNT coaches firings. Just the reporting of relevant lax news and the reason for one of them. Now go back to your cubicle Dilbert and save the diatribe.

What? you make no sense in your contribulous ranting of extraneous flubbing about your own meandering down a lonely highway.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What? you make no sense in your contribulous ranting of extraneous flubbing about your own meandering down a lonely highway.

What is this word salad . . ?!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The lax power forum is so much more civil. Really. I enjoy the sarcasm and bitterness and anger here though, kind of like slowing down while passing a car wreck...

LMAO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess all of those cold St Paddy's day ournamenta did prep us all for HS. Sorry for bashing it all these years, instead here is a Thanks to you 91/my lacrosse tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How does what they posted not make sense. I will put it in a language you may understand.

I did not read or gather any judging by the individual that made the post of the individuals that were fired. All they were doing was reporting events that occurred in the lax world.

or

Yo no ones was makin funs of anyones. Theys was just letin peps know about stuff.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did 3 way scrimmage go in Pequa yesterday?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question. There seems to always be the same teams at the top year after year while other programs continue to struggle. Schools with the same or similar student body size can't compete. In your opinion what makes these schools so consistently successful? Is it the coaching? Is it the system they run? Is it the town/PAL program or the local travel clubs? Are some towns just more "lacrosse towns" or have more kids play from a young age? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question. There seems to always be the same teams at the top year after year while other programs continue to struggle. Schools with the same or similar student body size can't compete. In your opinion what makes these schools so consistently successful? Is it the coaching? Is it the system they run? Is it the town/PAL program or the local travel clubs? Are some towns just more "lacrosse towns" or have more kids play from a young age? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hard to figure out. But I can say towns with $$$$ seem to be very good . More money , more clinics , more private lessons etc.. look at a district like Sachem very big they won 1 or 2 state championships in the 90’s when it was 1 HS . There youth program is very good. Sachem north always in the playoffs but never get over that hump. People say they have 2 Hs so not getting the best , but the argument with that is look at smithowns and Hills also 2 Hs. I think money towns are very good . smithtowns, syosset , Wm , CSH , GC , Mahasset etc. garden city Wm you also have generations that stay and live there. JMO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hard to figure out. But I can say towns with $$$$ seem to be very good . More money , more clinics , more private lessons etc.. look at a district like Sachem very big they won 1 or 2 state championships in the 90’s when it was 1 HS . There youth program is very good. Sachem north always in the playoffs but never get over that hump. People say they have 2 Hs so not getting the best , but the argument with that is look at smithowns and Hills also 2 Hs. I think money towns are very good . smithtowns, syosset , Wm , CSH , GC , Mahasset etc. garden city Wm you also have generations that stay and live there. JMO

Add in the establishment of the "brand" and the desire to be part of it, and then continual success that comes with that. The programs that are perennially at the top top have it going in most every aspect - it is self fulfilling.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Add in the establishment of the "brand" and the desire to be part of it, and then continual success that comes with that. The programs that are perennially at the top top have it going in most every aspect - it is self fulfilling.

So would you say that in certain districts with a winning lacrosse history, the better athletes gravitate to lacrosse as opposed to a districts where football/baseball is more of a tradition so the better athletes are inclined to focus on those sports? And in turn parents are more willing to spend on private lessons and clinics?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So would you say that in certain districts with a winning lacrosse history, the better athletes gravitate to lacrosse as opposed to a districts where football/baseball is more of a tradition so the better athletes are inclined to focus on those sports? And in turn parents are more willing to spend on private lessons and clinics?

Without a doubt, but I think it is more the season to season comparison, especially in non large schools. Show me any school in B or C that is always at the top of the lax world that also has a consistently solid baseball program. Lax will draw all of the best athletes in those schools for the spring; fall and winter sports are less in competition with lacrosse for athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn’t say better athletes go to lacrosse . There can be better athletes that play soccer , football , wrestling it’s what your into. Wm has won of the best Ice Hockey teams in the state a lot of lacrosse people don’t know that because they don’t follow . Swr rocky point have good lax and wrestling programs . I believe lacrosse is more a privilege sport. Higher money district are very good in Lax , conn. Jersey , LI , Maryland very good to great teams from expensive or upper class areas . Look at dukes roster privilege roster .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn’t say better athletes go to lacrosse . There can be better athletes that play soccer , football , wrestling it’s what your into. Wm has won of the best Ice Hockey teams in the state a lot of lacrosse people don’t know that because they don’t follow . Swr rocky point have good lax and wrestling programs . I believe lacrosse is more a privilege sport. Higher money district are very good in Lax , conn. Jersey , LI , Maryland very good to great teams from expensive or upper class areas . Look at dukes roster privilege roster .

With all due respect, LI hockey has come a long way, and has even turned out some pros, but it's club hockey. There is a whole host of schools in NY, all upstate, that play true interscholastic hockey under the NYPHSAA that are at least a tier above club. Would you say that a top college lax club team was on par with the top NCAA teams??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI high school hockey is a joke!!! Any kid that made it to the NHL did not play LI high school hockey. They were in prep school or in USA program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the higher end towns yes do get more privates lessons. Knew a few kids that do Faceoff and offensive players actually have pros and college guys come to there house for privates .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tradition and culture are a big part of the reason. However, having parents who are willing (and able) to start their kids young and "pay to play" year round from Pre-K all the way up through HS. Doing so requires a lot of time, effort and money. Think of a family with multiple children all involved in the sport. They can easily spend in excess of $6,000 (after tax dollars) per year per child for 8 - 10 years. Equipment, Tuition, Training, Gas, Tolls, Hotels, food, drink etc... Very few kids will be able to compete without keeping up with the Joneses.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PEQUA not as great as they think

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tradition and culture are a big part of the reason. However, having parents who are willing (and able) to start their kids young and "pay to play" year round from Pre-K all the way up through HS. Doing so requires a lot of time, effort and money. Think of a family with multiple children all involved in the sport. They can easily spend in excess of $6,000 (after tax dollars) per year per child for 8 - 10 years. Equipment, Tuition, Training, Gas, Tolls, Hotels, food, drink etc... Very few kids will be able to compete without keeping up with the Joneses.

All of the above are contributory factors. I think the most important piece of the puzzle is the willingness of families to resettle in the town they grew up in. When you have parents that played college level lacrosse, they must have been a pretty good player. No matter the division. When those parents have children, they are exposed to lacrosse and skill development at a very young age. The Coaches in these towns are folks who know everything about the game. They aren't the soccer Coach or Football Coach taking a team in the youth lax program like in other towns. Very early skill development in this sport is a huge leg up. Lesser athletes with greater skill mastery will win the day at the youth level every time. Lacrosse is different than other sports in this way. It can also be the difference at the HS level as well. If it weren't, then you could just give sticks to freak football and basketball players and win the games. You can't.
Ask the parents from Set, GC, WM, etc. if they played in college? I have, and many were great players in their day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This phenomenon of playing all year has not been around as long as the top lax schools maintaining their stature so it has to be more than that. GC and Manhasset, both conference B schools, constantly churn out excellent teams. Many kids often return to live there as adults and it goes back multiple generations. Maybe that is the connection.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would agree with that statement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What’s the best way to get my underclassman son and his friends on varsity? Was thinking taking over booster club and then replacing coach with one of our club coaches. Thoughts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What’s the best way to get my underclassman son and his friends on varsity? Was thinking taking over booster club and then replacing coach with one of our club coaches. Thoughts?

don't waist time with the booster club, run for the school board and control the AD and then you can get things done.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would agree with that statement.

I believe that both of these posts were by Massapequa parents trying to get teams to take them lightly, they have a bunch of great players and every position and the best coaching staff on LI - their first real test will be in the LIC vs. WM and it should yield different results than last year .

Keep those expectations high Massapequa, you are that good

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It has everything to do with the parents, either willingness (and means) to further their child's skill. The parents familiarity with the sport; either they played or are from a town that played. And yes a big one is the youth coach that played and wanted to get his son involved since he had a lax stick in the crib.

Funny many of the kids who are good, can all be traced to one of these if not more of the above. In my town, many of better player parents migrated from a town with a big tradition. Couple that with coaches that they themselves played at the next level. Its not everything, but it definitely helps.

I will say this, lacrosse in our day (although a great sport) did take a back seat to Baseball. I think that evolution happened slowly since us parents were in HS, but then again what hasn't eveolved.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure you can say who is looking good or bad in just the past few days. The weather gets bad again this week giving Li another Set back. It will get better, lets just hope any April rain happens over night.

Good luck to all of the boys in 2018. The only question you can ask now is, did you do enough to prepare? Did you out work your teammate at practice, did you do the extras, or did you think that was beneath you or being a blow-hard. Only you can look yourself in the mirror. Hard work shows up and pays off.

As it may not be too late, just take a hard look at the ebb and flows of the NCAA's, whether hoops or Lax. You don't have to look that far to see that sports these days are anyone's game. That's why you play the games.

Don't regret the season, its not too late.

Have fun, play hard!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Not sure you can say who is looking good or bad in just the past few days. The weather gets bad again this week giving Li another Set back. It will get better, lets just hope any April rain happens over night.

Good luck to all of the boys in 2018. The only question you can ask now is, did you do enough to prepare? Did you out work your teammate at practice, did you do the extras, or did you think that was beneath you or being a blow-hard. Only you can look yourself in the mirror. Hard work shows up and pays off.

As it may not be too late, just take a hard look at the ebb and flows of the NCAA's, whether hoops or Lax. You don't have to look that far to see that sports these days are anyone's game. That's why you play the games.

Don't regret the season, its not too late.

Have fun, play hard!

Well written. Good luck everyone.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Do you work out with the varsity last summer and this winter? Does the coach even know who your kid is? The best way is to have your son approach the coach and mention his interest. I have seen this go three ways. 1. Parent pushes coaches to take junior up and then complain about lack of playing time, 2. Coaches have no idea who a player is and finds out from the JV coach at the end of the season that JR should be playing up and they move him up, 3.JR earns his way up to varsity, understands that play8ng time is earned and works his way on to the field.

3 is the best option, but it may be too late

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Booster club is hand picked by the head coaches? Why do they pick the one guy everyone can't stand ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Colts21

Do you work out with the varsity last summer and this winter? Does the coach even know who your kid is? The best way is to have your son approach the coach and mention his interest. I have seen this go three ways. 1. Parent pushes coaches to take junior up and then complain about lack of playing time, 2. Coaches have no idea who a player is and finds out from the JV coach at the end of the season that JR should be playing up and they move him up, 3.JR earns his way up to varsity, understands that play8ng time is earned and works his way on to the field.

The fact that you saw this as a serious question AND answered it rather than appreciate it for the rightful mocking and sarcasm that it was is kind of sad . . .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It has everything to do with the parents, either willingness (and means) to further their child's skill. The parents familiarity with the sport; either they played or are from a town that played. And yes a big one is the youth coach that played and wanted to get his son involved since he had a lax stick in the crib.

Funny many of the kids who are good, can all be traced to one of these if not more of the above. In my town, many of better player parents migrated from a town with a big tradition. Couple that with coaches that they themselves played at the next level. Its not everything, but it definitely helps.

I will say this, lacrosse in our day (although a great sport) did take a back seat to Baseball. I think that evolution happened slowly since us parents were in HS, but then again what hasn't eveolved.

I think the Mecca of Long Island lacrosse is closing in from Midwest and West. Just wait until pac12 college starts getting teams Long Island and Maryland will be not the Mecca.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yet GC dominates in football as well. So how do you figure that? Not exactly clinics etc for that. The real reason is the kids play in a system that is built to win games as a team, not individual glory like so many others. GC also won the County in basketball. The girls field hockey and lacrosse teams also win on a consistent basis.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Basing this on what? A Saturday double scrimmage on St Paddy’s day? What a hammerhead, your kid must cringe at the site of you hanging around random high schools watching young men play lacrosse Just Weird

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Colts21

The fact that you saw this as a serious question AND answered it rather than appreciate it for the rightful mocking and sarcasm that it was is kind of sad . . .

Actually, it is what happens when you read this on your phone and didn't pick up the second sentence when reading it. LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Basing this on what? A Saturday double scrimmage on St Paddy’s day? What a hammerhead, your kid must cringe at the site of you hanging around random high schools watching young men play lacrosse Just Weird

If you don’t think Pequa coaches have some concerns after Saturday you have no clue about spirts.

Like Reply Quote
Page 108 of 264 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard