BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a thought why are all of us paying 1,300 plus a year to play on the travel teams?? One of the strongest towns on long island if not the strongest run there summer travel teams in house & all volunteer for under $300 a kid everyone that wants in is included. A teams and B teams are formed they travel out of state and kids on the B teams get recruited and play at the next level. It can be done but it requires everyone involved to think of the town program as a whole from K-12 and keep as many kids playing together . Too many parents are only worried about Jr. and dont see the big picture! Start them young, keep them together, and they will wait there turn to step on the Varsity field . Its that simple.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is a thought why are all of us paying 1,300 plus a year to play on the travel teams?? One of the strongest towns on long island if not the strongest run there summer travel teams in house & all volunteer for under $300 a kid everyone that wants in is included. A teams and B teams are formed they travel out of state and kids on the B teams get recruited and play at the next level. It can be done but it requires everyone involved to think of the town program as a whole from K-12 and keep as many kids playing together . Too many parents are only worried about Jr. and dont see the big picture! Start them young, keep them together, and they will wait there turn to step on the Varsity field . Its that simple.

What town?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone that wants in is included?? really??? they don't hold tryouts to pick and choose....oh and your last name isn't important either right????? just asking.....oh and yeah what town is that?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not a Town, its a magical place known as Fantasyland.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Three Village ( Ward Melville ) , Northport ?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What town?

WestIslip

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This may work in bigger town but usually doesn't in smaller ones. The talent pool isn't as deep. Pain and simple.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What about the middle of the road and weaker teams where kids may not get the exposure, where as, if they are good enough to make a top 5 LI travel club and play at an “A” or “AA” level their chances probably are better getting exposure playing with that team versus their HS summer team.

There area lot more middle of the road and weaker teams versus WI, 3Village, garden city, etc...

Not the kids fault where they go to school.
Those HS coaches should not hold it against them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why do high schools coaches act this way? what are they thinking when they blatantly discrimate against a player that does play for an outside club team during the summer as opposed to playing for their school team. If a school team wants to be competitive during their SCHOOL season, why don't they put the better players in, are they trying to prove how powerful they are? It is frustrating and so sad for the player...I guess it is all a part of lifes lessons, there are always going to be people in your life that just aren't fair...don't let that be an obstacle. Maybe if you conform to their dictatorship, you will get playing time in the spring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
... and the stronger players from the "middle of the road and weaker programs" are stronger than the "middle of the road and weaker players" from the stronger programs.

It should not be held against the stronger players if they want to play and train with better players in the off season.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are you aware that many pre-H.S. WI kids play on clubs nowadays ? There hasn't been defections from the H.S. summer teams because of the quality of the coaching staff. However, I can see that changing in the future if the current H.S. staff leaves/retires and the program drops a notch or two, then some of the top kids may play for the top clubs instead. I have seen a few kids choose the club team when conflicts arise at the pre H.S. level.

What town?

WestIslip

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are talking about Team Smithtown, I don't understand why you would have a problem with JV/Varsity coaches wanting kids to play with school team. Are you talking in H.S. or middle school ? Smithtown West has been a nationally ranked program for a while, sending many players to top D-1,D-2 and D-3 colleges. If you're son is a good player he will be looked at playing for Smithtown West. Now Smithtown East- not as good, but they still have players play top college lax. I'm sure you already know this. If your son was on one of top 3 club teams in high school and went to S.E. , then I think you may have a decision to make. If he is going to West , I would have him play for H.S. team. If he is talented he will get looked at. The varsity/J.V. coaches want kids to play together for cohesiveness and to learn their system. Is it selfish ? Maybe, but like I said the programs are some of the best on L.I. and I'm sure they want to keep it that way.

A lot of kids (turtles/91/outlaws/express) that have been playing club for years are about to enter HS.. I would think playing AA with club is a lot better than being on East or West teams, and for the coaches to hold it against the kids is ridiculous.. When my kid enters this age, I will look to the club to help him get college looks not these selfish coaches.

I believe that all agree that playing AA IS better, for your LACROSSE. The issue being discussed is, it seems to me, "should the school, OR the travel team, OR the PAL determine that your child ONLY play with THEM? OR, is there a way that the child can participate with more than ONE team to gain benefits offered by each? Am i misunderstanding this, as it seems the prior person is?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the Syosset Spartans a town team or a club team? or both?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Spartans are a "Town Travel" team. The team is open to those players who live in the Syosset CSD. They hold tryouts for those players who want a more competitive experience than PAL. However at the younger levels ( I believe up to 6th grade) if you make the SPartans you still have to play PAL. My son is on one f the teams and he enjoys playing w/his school friends.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
--"if you make the SPartans you still have to play PAL. My son is on one f the teams and he enjoys playing w/his school friends."

How many elementary schools does Syosset have? Do they break up their PAL Teams by School?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Syosset 7th grade team traveled to Durham NC this past weekend for Duke opener and scrimmaged some local North Carolina squads.

Thought this was unusual for a PAL/town team. I guess this may have been the tryout/travel team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Syosset has 7 elementary schools. Surprsingly they only field one or two PAL teams per grade considering how large a district it is, but they have a strong Soccer program and Baseball is very strong as well so I think that draws alot of kids. Also LAX is still "alien" to some parents. Not sure what they do now but when my son played there was one team that pooled all the schools. If you need more info about Syosset PAL go to sylax.org that is there website. I think there is a link on BOC as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is the issue, and I believe it is more about the schools giving players a hard time...been through PAL and coaches never demanded that you just play PAL how could they, it is instructional and all are welcome.....I think the problem lies with the school and high school coaches that put together teams during the summer.....many players do participate in both if they can, but conflicts arise and the player is torn between the school team and the club.....explaining to a high school coach that you can't be at a tournament because it conflicts with an outside team is tough.....there are always repercussions...........

Like Reply Quote
P
ProtonPower
Unregistered
ProtonPower
Unregistered
P
I've seen the current Syosset 7th grade team play (last summer), and they were very, very good. Better than most club and town teams, and I'm sure they compare favorably to even the top clubs.

My son's team lost to them by what I think was 11-1 ... he scored the only goal but the D high-lowed him as he went across the crease. Close to a cheap shot but that was a message sent (and received).

Apparently that group has been together for several years, and it shows. If Syosset is able to keep and train the boys that way in all the grades, then I would say save your money and play for Syosset.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Syosset Spartans is the perfect combination of town/travel at least on the 7th grade level, not all kids play but most do. almost half the team also plays on select travel teams (express,91,fl$ ect.) they are coached by Syosset HS coaches and play mainly a spring tournament schedule so as to minimize conflicts with summer teams. the people that organize and schedule ask everybody what the summer teams schedules are and if there is a conflict nobody holds it against you if you play with your travel team. It takes work and compromise but it can be done and it is great for the kids that don't play on a summer team to get the extra lacrosse and the experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. The Spartans participate in tournaments that are "front loaded" in the early spring. This year my sons last Spartans tourny is JDRF and his first travel tourny is JDRF. No conflicts otherwise and I think JDRF does town on the first day and travel on the second. He is on the 8th grade team now and loved it last year. Spartan program is execllent, I do suspect that the experience does differ from grade to grade. He played a lot as did all the other boys. Coaching was excellent and the boys had fun and I think we won most of our games as well. Speaking of winning and losing whenever we do lose a game whether its LAX, basketball etc I will usually talk to him about it after in the car to see if he is upset, his response is usually "whats for lunch?" so I think that as parents we have to remember that at this age the kids are not taking losing a game as hard as we think they do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
maybe it works in syosset cause the h.s. coach also runs a travel summer program (tribe now with the dune dogs)so it might be a bit hipocritacal to tell a boy to only play for the school.in my sons district the h.s. coaches have a very small group of boys to work with (only 18 showed for summer tryouts)so they hold a grudge against the boys who choose to play club.very disturbing for all the boys and parents involved. the ad says the answer to pay for play and all the other issues is that if enough parents complain the district will just close the program so deal with it. life at a small school sadly phil

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coach Calabria has nothing to do with the Syosset Spartans now or in the past.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
maybe it works in syosset cause the h.s. coach also runs a travel summer program (tribe now with the dune dogs)so it might be a bit hipocritacal to tell a boy to only play for the school.in my sons district the h.s. coaches have a very small group of boys to work with (only 18 showed for summer tryouts)so they hold a grudge against the boys who choose to play club.very disturbing for all the boys and parents involved. the ad says the answer to pay for play and all the other issues is that if enough parents complain the district will just close the program so deal with it. life at a small school sadly phil

Get that AD to put that in an email. Then forward it to the superindendent of your district, with a copy to newsday and news 12. Ask all their thoughts on this little conflict of interest. Sit back, and watch the fireworks... Can you say, new coach and new AD???

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Coach Calabria has nothing to do with the Syosset Spartans now or in the past.
Note that John Calabria is part of the Long Island Lacrosse Academy (see the Sponsor's Panel above) and is offering two summer clinics under the LILA banner. Based on my conversations with him, this is all very independent of the Syosset club program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get that AD to put that in an email. Then forward it to the superindendent of your district, with a copy to newsday and news 12. Ask all their thoughts on this little conflict of interest. Sit back, and watch the fireworks... Can you say, new coach and new AD???

Then why is it ok for the St Anthonys and Chaminade coaches to be directors of Express? Answer - its not. I've spoken to several St anthonys parents whos boys are burried on the B or C team with the Express and are concerned about the problems their son would face if they left for an "A" team with another program. Its a big problem and I don't understand why the AD of those schools don't .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Syosset Spartans is a town travel team program for district kids grades 4-8 run by Syosset Youth Lacrosse (District Dads). Coach Calabria has nothing to do with the Syosset youth program and/or Syosset Spartans.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Calabria is a good guy and keeps getting dragged into this post

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Agreed. BOTC has set the record straight on the subject.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spartans parent here Cage and you are correct as are the posters defending Coach C. People want to know about Spartans program contact Sylax. As I posted before I only have good things to say about it, nor have I heard of any pressure to go to LILA or play on a coach's summer team. There are boys on my sons team playing on at least 4 different summer teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Calabria is not directly involved in the Spartans but has been very supportive of the concept, members of his staff coach the Spartan's teams and it flows nicely into the HS summer team that has many kids playing for Syosset HS summer team and travel summer teams - If you are lucky enough to live in Syosset you will have the opportunity to play a lot of lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Channy, lets it be known that if you play for St. Ant.s and DON'T play for the Express, it's going to be a problem for you. I don't know how the School lets him get away with this but it has been going on for years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Calabria is not directly involved in the Spartans but has been very supportive of the concept, members of his staff coach the Spartan's teams and it flows nicely into the HS summer team that has many kids playing for Syosset HS summer team and travel summer teams - If you are lucky enough to live in Syosset you will have the opportunity to play a lot of lacrosse.

Agreed...... Syosset has top notch coaches, and parents that not only care but take their lacrosse seriously . Looks like their well run PAL youth program, Spartans travel program and their middle and high school programs are all working well together with great results...... Nassau County Champions last year and Long Island Champions a few years ago. My town and many other towns would be smart to take a close look at what Syosset is doing starting at a young age with their kids and how their programs are run..... I'm sure all of our towns would benefit to take some lessons from Syosset.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Syosset 7th grade team traveled to Durham NC this past weekend for Duke opener and scrimmaged some local North Carolina squads.

Thought this was unusual for a PAL/town team. I guess this may have been the tryout/travel team.

Yes that was the 7th grade Syosset Spartans Travel Team...... Although it is basically the same team that always played PAL together

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not true comment. MC tells boys in the JV meetings that while he is proud of the Express teams he plays the best players at St A regardless of travel club. There are a lot of very talented players NOT on orange teams that have to play elsewhere to compete in Elite brackets during summer because orange teams hold only so many roster spots and many are on teams due to their connections or daddy influences.
He does not need every player in Express. He has a plethora of kids looking to make any of the Blue, gray and white teams that don't mind cause their skills are NOT orange level. Not every great player can make an orange team and if kids go to other clubs to play at Higher summer levels to get looks it's part of the process .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes that was the 7th grade Syosset Spartans Travel Team...... Although it is basically the same team that always played PAL together

How did they do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Syosset has 2 PAL teams and while most kids that play on the Spartans play on the same PAL team some play on the other team, not all of the Spartans 7th grade played PAL at least two travel players played Spartans and not PAL and also they have a few kids that played PAL and not Spartans, that really is the beauty of the organization is that you play what works for you but you have a lot of options

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Syosset has 2 PAL teams and while most kids that play on the Spartans play on the same PAL team some play on the other team, not all of the Spartans 7th grade played PAL at least two travel players played Spartans and not PAL and also they have a few kids that played PAL and not Spartans, that really is the beauty of the organization is that you play what works for you but you have a lot of options
Syosset seems like it is a club structured to handle club, PAL, and varsity requirements. Impressive to read about all of the pieces being in one place at one time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its a town and we do it right. No travel teams and yes we do get recruited to div 1 schools without paying a million dollars and running every day of our lives for lax. It is also a Magical experience when our boys play side by side all year round. It does happen and virtually for free and effortless.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question about the Syosset Summer Lax program - this does sound good so help out if you know the answers to any of these below questions because it is so rare that a town can successfully pull this off:
Does anyone know if the HS Summer Tournament teams are playing in the Elite division or B division?
Do individual players attend recruiting camps?
What is the cost per player for the summer tournament team?

It would be interesting to find out is the system makes the player or do a few key players make the system look good...

Like Reply Quote
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard