BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Long Island Jesters
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,660
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 40 of 58 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
NCAA has approved a new rule on Friday that prohibits D1 lacrosse coaches from contacting potential recruits until 9/1 of their junior year. Its about time!

read here:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangelacro...g_to_new_ncaa_rul.html#incart_river_home

So I guess this means that college coaches will have to actually do some recruiting again. Not just wait around for a "stud" 9th grader to contact them and/or attend a few summer tournaments just watching the 8th/9th graders. Let's hope this puts some sanity back into the process. Anyone else see any potential changes, ramifications, or unintended consequences??

Nothing will change. Like another poster said, coaches will now rely on club coaches to tell them who to recruit, then will fill in holes once September 1st rolls around for their junior year. Early recruiting began when clubs began. . .you can't negate ER without removing clubs. And if you don't belong to a club that has coaches' ears, think the biggies, like 9d1, crabs, lie, edge, sweet lax, etc., you're basically a filler guy come September 1st. There will also be the "late bloomer" of course, but these rules won't fixed the "injustice" of that player not getting recruited. The NCAA has just removed players/parents from the process, and placed control firmly in the hands of club directors. Congrats!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NCAA has approved a new rule on Friday that prohibits D1 lacrosse coaches from contacting potential recruits until 9/1 of their junior year. Its about time!

read here:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangelacro...g_to_new_ncaa_rul.html#incart_river_home

Careful what you wish for. Get ready to have club coaches being the middlemen and basically speaking for our kids. And if you don't play for an elite AA team. . .well, good luck with that. Nothing changes, just driven underground. Regulations like this, which, I add, are LACROSSE ONLY, are going to make things a lot worse. But "it's about time!," right? SMH. . .

Club dues will be going up starting this September. For those wondering when this will start affecting you - after the next set of tryouts and when you have to write the checks out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait didn't they say no third parties anymore? That eliminates the club coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad mine is committed already. Best decision he will make for his future!

He has a verbal dude. That isn't truly committed under any definition and is now even more precarious under these new rules. Good luck to your son, but you Dad might want to pump the brakes a little and realze the ground is shifting beneath you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club coaches were already the middlemen. Nothing changed there.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mine too. 2020. Coaches say they want this, but they don't, as my son's future coach said. With this, there's chaos for the 19-22 class. NCAA f'ed this one up big time. Start with the '22s.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This will be good for lacrosse as time goes by. Dont know why everyone thinks Club coaches will be so important. Maybe High School coaches will become important again. Maybe some combo or may..just maybe..it might matter how the child plays in 9th and 10th grade instead of 8th and 9th.
Supposed Superstar Club players in 9th and 10 grade may not look so good against HS athletics that play multi sports (instead of the thousands for year round club) or players that arent on " Elite" club teams. Might make the College coach make sure the super star is really a superstar.. .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait didn't they say no third parties anymore? That eliminates the club coach.

Nothing about third parties. Sorry, but you just put the club team directors into the driver's seat.This is what happens with regulations that have multiple loopholes. But the 6+ foot on age freshman starting on Varsity? Why, my kid can beat him (not).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mine too. 2020. Coaches say they want this, but they don't, as my son's future coach said. With this, there's chaos for the 19-22 class. NCAA f'ed this one up big time. Start with the '22s.

Why?? Start now.. The better players will continue to get better and should still be the ones recruited later...if not..Then the College coach will be lucky he didnt recruit him..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
More Showcases- More Power to Travel Clubs- More years in the travel lacrosse world all equals More $$$$$$. This will be great for Lax clubs and great for the kids. Let the kids just concentrate on school and Lax. And as for the ridiculous amount of verbal commits: Go be 14.. Plenty of time for stressing about college later.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clubs much less important. HIGH SCHOOL COACHES ARE MORE IMPORTANT. . SHOWCASE EVENTS WILL CHARGE BIGGER DOLLARS WITH CLUBS HAVING LESS CONTROL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clubs much less important. HIGH SCHOOL COACHES ARE MORE IMPORTANT. . SHOWCASE EVENTS WILL CHARGE BIGGER DOLLARS WITH CLUBS HAVING LESS CONTROL

Wrong

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
More Showcases- More Power to Travel Clubs- More years in the travel lacrosse world all equals More $$$$$$. This will be great for Lax clubs and great for the kids. Let the kids just concentrate on school and Lax. And as for the ridiculous amount of verbal commits: Go be 14.. Plenty of time for stressing about college later.

Big win for the clubs. Now have you for freshman and sophomore year too unless you're at a big lax powerhouse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Correct

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He has a verbal dude. That isn't truly committed under any definition and is now even more precarious under these new rules. Good luck to your son, but you Dad might want to pump the brakes a little and realze the ground is shifting beneath you.

Actually, nothing will change for my son. We already spoke to his college coach and my sons verbal is solid. We will communicate through the club coach. No big deal

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only thing it changes with a verbal is if the head coach who you made the verbal with is let go or leaves the school as you may have to wait some to speak with the new head coach. Most if not all of the early commits have spoken to the coaches about what happens if these new regulations were to get passed and so far everyone that I have spoken with said the coaches have stated they will honor the committment just like prior to the regulations .Stop being jeolous because some kid has an early committment .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't see clubs becoming less important. They will still be a part of the process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you think you son's verbal is set in stone because a college coach says it is you are being naive. What would you expect him to say? Grades, injuries, playing progression, off field activities etc. will all come into play when the coach makes the final decision of who he chooses for his team. It's his career on the line. All you have is a handshake and an imaginary contract. This rule change just gave every coach that has verbaled a 2020 the opportunity to walk away if your kid if he looks at him the wrong way without looking like the bad guy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you think you son's verbal is set in stone because a college coach says it is you are being naive. What would you expect him to say? Grades, injuries, playing progression, off field activities etc. will all come into play when the coach makes the final decision of who he chooses for his team. It's his career on the line. All you have is a handshake and an imaginary contract. This rule change just gave every coach that has verbaled a 2020 the opportunity to walk away if your kid if he looks at him the wrong way without looking like the bad guy.

And with top recruits in any given class who have an early verbal, and remain ahead of the pack, coaches will be that much more frantic to keep them .It will definitely work both ways , for those type of kids September 1 of Junior year expect ALOT of calls .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Says the dad whose son has had no interest. Your comments show your lack of knowledge and desperation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what does this mean for the clubs with college coaches as their directors? any rules there?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Says the dad whose son has had no interest. Your comments show your lack of knowledge and desperation.

Thats exactly right . I love how people come on here and make statements they wish or want desperately to believe to be the truth . Desperate being the operative word .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says the dad who has two kids playing college lacrosse and 1 with a national championship ring.

Let me guess - you are a parent that has reclassed your kid once or twice. Your lax bro son probably attends an MIAA school and thinks he is the next Paul Rabil. Crabs, Loonies, FCA?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure seems like all the parents of kids that they thought would go early are getting very angry about this. Are you afraid that little Johnny who was the best in 7th and 8th grade might not be in 11th(when puberty evens everything it). If you're so confident, this doesn't mean anything.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is exactly what makes this sport a joke, compared to the others. First of all, when anyone speaks of their child's "commitment," or " scholarship," in lacrosse, try and ask them EXACTLY what the deal is. Good luck. Besides the stuttering "ahh, ummm..." you will find out, if they are being honest, that most, of course not all, of these offers are for no more than 50% of tuition, the same deal a good student would get for academics. The parents in this sport have this elitist attitude, and it permeates the sidelines in both boys and girls lacrosse. The reality is that if they ever made a real push into the inner city, and the sport became popular there, half of the "committed" players would be watching from the stands.
My point is not to knock the sport, but to provide a reality check, and some perspective. This decision on early recruiting is 100% long overdue, and the NCAA should monitor aggressively. Let your children remain so. If they are the cream of the crop, they will still find a spot waiting for them in college. Concern yourselves as parents on raising respectful, honest, and educated kids. My children have enjoyed playing lacrosse in college, and I hope yours does, as well. There is a spot for everyone, and it must be the right fit. I wish you all the best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will we see college coaches lining the sidelines of 2020 tournaments this summer? Or will they focus more on 2019 and 2018's? Would have to assume they will be pretty much non-existent for the 2021's...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not about money anymore.

Go to a good high school, get a great education, play for a high school coach who has your best interest at heart and all else will take care of itself if it is meant to be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people are such a bunch of jealous losers . The reason people don't tell you their child's scholarship offers is because it's non of your business and the college coaches don't want you discussing it. It's so obvious you hope these college coaches will not honor their verbal commitments so your kid can get a spot on the team it's makes you look pathetic . 99 percent of college verbal commitments are honored .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent post!

There are many types of commitments and vary from player to player and school to school.
#1 Academic and Athletic $$
#2 Academic $$
#3 Athletic $$
#4 Committed but no $$

Each deal is different ( so don't ask) and being committed does not mean a full ride!

My son (2021) will go to college for an education and if he is fortunate to get any type of $$ playing LAX at a school, it a bonus.
After college, he gets a job!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, it's because the scholarship is only a partial deal, and most people will not be that impressed. I see nobody here rooting against a kid, or hoping an offer is not honored. What I see, are parents acting as if there child cured cancer, all because of a partial break on tuition, which they could've probably attained by applying themselves to their schoolwork. Why do you think so many scholarships and commitments are made in this sport? Do you honestly think that somehow your child is this superior athlete? Or more likely, because the colleges are not losing money, getting half their tuition from students, who join what turns out to be a sorority or fraternity, with a lacrosse stick in your hands.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My question now becomes, why would I send my 2020 to any college camps (days) prior to summer after her sophomore year? Unless a coach tells the club that she needs to be there, these money grab camps will not see us. I think its a good thing, but are the coaches ready for this money to dry up.

And please save me the learn and get better excuse, it's total BS. These college camps are designed to review and select players, period.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what are rising 9th and 10th graders to do this summer? Keep hitting showcases and prospect days or is that now a waste?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This does hurt the kids who reclassified and hit puberty early. It is a good thing either was because kids should not be making life decisions so early. Also Interesting to see if coaches are more likely to to back out of a verbal commits because there is no need to worry about reputations since going forward there will be no more handshake deals. My bet is most coaches will honor the deals already in place. Time will tell.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is exactly what makes this sport a joke, compared to the others. First of all, when anyone speaks of their child's "commitment," or " scholarship," in lacrosse, try and ask them EXACTLY what the deal is. Good luck. Besides the stuttering "ahh, ummm..." you will find out, if they are being honest, that most, of course not all, of these offers are for no more than 50% of tuition, the same deal a good student would get for academics. The parents in this sport have this elitist attitude, and it permeates the sidelines in both boys and girls lacrosse. The reality is that if they ever made a real push into the inner city, and the sport became popular there, half of the "committed" players would be watching from the stands.
My point is not to knock the sport, but to provide a reality check, and some perspective. This decision on early recruiting is 100% long overdue, and the NCAA should monitor aggressively. Let your children remain so. If they are the cream of the crop, they will still find a spot waiting for them in college. Concern yourselves as parents on raising respectful, honest, and educated kids. My children have enjoyed playing lacrosse in college, and I hope yours does, as well. There is a spot for everyone, and it must be the right fit. I wish you all the best.

Hey...White 5-8 kids need some sport to excel at. Enough of your negativity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2021 parents must be in a tizzy over this one.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mtg son is a 2021 and I'm ecstatic! Maybe it'll cut down on the reclassing of kids. There's a BIG difference between 13-14 year olds and 15-16 year olds both physically and mentally.
The top tier schools won't have to speculate as much and early bloomers. won't get the majority of the offers from them.
Plus it's way too early for kids to make such important decisions. They get a couple more years of playing strictly for fun.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is the new NCAA rule effective immediately?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

no we are not

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm a 2021 parent and I'm ecstatic! Maybe it will help, who knows.

But we're realistic in the fact that loopholes were probably found on this proposal months ago. It may not change a thing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what are rising 9th and 10th graders to do this summer? Keep hitting showcases and prospect days or is that now a waste?

For rising sophomores it still is an important recruiting summer , but this will give coaches more opportunity to see a prospect multiple times and give them more time to make a decision..

Like Reply Quote
Page 40 of 58 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard