BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,292
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 58 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mr. defender. You made the stretch to my "mocking of the disabled" which couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps I left too much room for that to be misinterpreted and I'll own that, but I was simply quoting a line from Tropic Thunder. And, if I remember correctly no one from the liberal media made it an issue and chastised the movie writers for the quip. It seems you are the one digging to highlight that. I offer my apologies. Now, back to the gorilla discussion... And please, don't follow up with some animal rights rant...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK folks enough with the mentally challenged over sized chimpanzees, what does any of this have to do with Early Recruiting in lacrosse again?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Mr. defender. You made the stretch to my "mocking of the disabled" which couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps I left too much room for that to be misinterpreted and I'll own that, but I was simply quoting a line from Tropic Thunder. And, if I remember correctly no one from the liberal media made it an issue and chastised the movie writers for the quip. It seems you are the one digging to highlight that. I offer my apologies. Now, back to the gorilla discussion... And please, don't follow up with some animal rights rant...

Far from Mr. Defender, look a little deeper.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you trying to defend something you said by claiming you are "quoting tropic thunder"??

That has to be a first.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
God, some of you people are so frustrated and angry...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now you're mocking GOD!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
God, some of you people are so frustrated and angry...

Truer words never spoken

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Still what you may call a cautionary tale...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a tale of Fire and Ice

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Getting back on topic;
Re:Early Recruiting. Please remind your boys that everything will work out the way it's supposed to... Lots of unnecessary pressure, tends to take away the enjoyment of this unnaturally early process

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hasn't taken his first SAT, finished his 1st year of HS had a girlfriend or have a clue about what he wants to do for a career but some coach tells a 14 year old to his face that he is really good and they would love to have him play and it all makes sense. The system is broken and these kids aren't ready.

All my kid wants to do is play, even if its on the moon and he has to take basket weaving as a major

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Getting back on topic;
Re:Early Recruiting. Please remind your boys that everything will work out the way it's supposed to... Lots of unnecessary pressure, tends to take away the enjoyment of this unnaturally early process

yes, but also remind the boys they need to work for what the earn nothing is giving.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I asked my kid where he wanted to play. He spouted out Syracuse, Duke, Notre Dame without a hesitation. He probably knows nothing about any of these schools, their coaches or their systems. It is crazy to think that he could make a decision like this before he has even left middle school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This system needs to be fixed, there is NO way any 8th, 9th or even 10th grader knows what they want in college. I know lots of people will jump on here and say "my kid knows, and always wanted to go to ____". And, maybe that is true, but I really don't think they have ANY idea what they are actually signing up for. I don't get it, the kids/parents have all of the power, if people started saying "I'm not ready" this crazy process would slow down. IMO if you haven't had some AP courses, taken your SATs and played a year or two of varsity, you cannot realistically make a decision on a college. I just don't get it. But I am assuming, when you see 8th and 9th graders "committing" it is so the can brag about it, not because it is actually a decision that they feel good about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I asked my kid where he wanted to play. He spouted out Syracuse, Duke, Notre Dame without a hesitation. He probably knows nothing about any of these schools, their coaches or their systems. It is crazy to think that he could make a decision like this before he has even left middle school.

Sometimes it isnt any different for a Jr or Sr. Sometimes that student always knew where they wanted to go.

Although I agree the system maybe broken, dont discount the value of the early recruiting for the student (and parent). There is a reason for everything and just because you may not agree with what another parent does with their child's future, it doesnt make you right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This system needs to be fixed, there is NO way any 8th, 9th or even 10th grader knows what they want in college. I know lots of people will jump on here and say "my kid knows, and always wanted to go to ____". And, maybe that is true, but I really don't think they have ANY idea what they are actually signing up for. I don't get it, the kids/parents have all of the power, if people started saying "I'm not ready" this crazy process would slow down. IMO if you haven't had some AP courses, taken your SATs and played a year or two of varsity, you cannot realistically make a decision on a college. I just don't get it. But I am assuming, when you see 8th and 9th graders "committing" it is so the can brag about it, not because it is actually a decision that they feel good about.

hey buddy, if the opportunity is given to your child for a school you deem worthy, you would not advise your child to take it. horse crap, you will, and you still have time to change it, the power is still in your hands (if you are one of the "few" who have committed early).

Yes it is a bit more serious, but i find it crazy when people say why did you (or so-n-so) pick this school or that school, but then another student (a sr.) who goes to that same school they are praising their accomplishments and like WOW THATS GREAT, CONGRATS... you'll love it, this is what you worked hard for!!! but that early committ gets, "Like, why did you choose that school"? SMH

Many of these schools which have the early recruiting #'s are great institutions, that many non athlete's would die to go to. Sure there maybe a few better schools they could have chosen, but maybe the parents or they themselves knew why wait for a chance at harvard or yale, When I have UVA, ND, service academy, a patriot League school now.

If an athlete prove themselves worthy for Harvard or Yale by Sr. year I am sure a place will can be made for them. You do have the power don't forget it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, there is the financial benefit as well. Securing a spot at a good school. Knowing what you have to do to get into the school that the young man committed to. So, yes I agree it's crazy, but if Duke came calling, I'm not saying no.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Evidence that the system needs correcting?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's face it, the only governing body that can fix it would be the NCAA and they're only concerned with the money sports, football and basketball. Early recruiting and the grade based system that lacrosse uses is ruining the game at the 6th-10th grade levels. It's not going to change.
And honestly I don't know who is more naive as an 8/9th grade recruit, the parent or the player? And are they actually talking to current players at some of these D1 schools. Best comment I heard from a current Syracuse player is that 3rd and 4th string goalies are nothing but cannon fodder during their Syracuse careers. I realize that a goalie is a limited position, but it goes to knowing 'what you're signing up for'.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Evidence that the system needs correcting?

The existence of the ridiculous club system is all the evidence you need. The game has ceased to be fun for plenty of 6th/7th/8th graders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
35 hours a week and a roster of 50. Sign me up sounds like fun!! Be patient, it all works out. I'm sure that $5k offer isn't going to break you on a $50,0000 school if you need a little more time to decide

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early recruiting is going on just as much in Baseball, which has similar NCAA scholarship parameters, but it just feels so much different, and slightly more negative with lacrosse because of it's grade based system. Right or wrong, the perception is the early recruited 16 year old Freshman/Sophomore club player is playing down in lacrosse, but is playing against 17/18 year old's in baseball......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the sports not fun for your kid, why is he playing?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just don't understand why any of the negative posters care about the people that chose to commit early.

I have two playing-one committed early and is happy playing at D-1 level (although, at the time 10th grade was early) and one not good enough to be considered still in HS.

younger one loves the game and will play as long as he can whether someone calls or not. Most colleges have club programs that are both fun and competitive without the 30 hour work week associated with D-1.

I say, to each his own-for those who commit in 9th grade, good for them, i hope it works out, for those that choose to wait-or those that never get asked-good luck to you as well.

the people saying the game has been ruined-i say just the opposite. the game is being played every spring weekend and every summer weekend by thousands of kids...ten years ago, unless you were on LI or in MD, it was simply not the case.

so just take a step back and let your kid have fun. when it is no longer fun, try a different sport. The level of competition in soccer or baseball or football or basketball is no different when it comes to club teams selling the dream...some kids get recruited, some don't. not your job or my job to critique the parenting skills of others...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, there is the financial benefit as well. Securing a spot at a good school. Knowing what you have to do to get into the school that the young man committed to. So, yes I agree it's crazy, but if Duke came calling, I'm not saying no.

Of course some of you jealous people out there couldn't bring yourselves to think that maybe Mom and Dad know their son better than anyone else... Some us know our kids capabilities and limitations on the field and in the classroom. We're not asleep at the switch!!! There are kids that work real hard and barely break 90 in regular classes. Others are lucky enough to be able to cruise through AP classes. That being said, picking a school early that is the right fit in the parents eyes might seem like an odd choice to some on the outside. I can tell you from our experience, that was definitely the case. However, we're confident we found a good match for our son, he's excited about the opportunity. Moral of the story: You worry about yours if and when the time comes, and we'll worry about ours.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course some of you jealous people out there couldn't bring yourselves to think that maybe Mom and Dad know their son better than anyone else... Some us know our kids capabilities and limitations on the field and in the classroom. We're not asleep at the switch!!! There are kids that work real hard and barely break 90 in regular classes. Others are lucky enough to be able to cruise through AP classes. That being said, picking a school early that is the right fit in the parents eyes might seem like an odd choice to some on the outside. I can tell you from our experience, that was definitely the case. However, we're confident we found a good match for our son, he's excited about the opportunity. Moral of the story: You worry about yours if and when the time comes, and we'll worry about ours.

All of what you typed does not mean that early recruiting is good. The NCAA should pass the proposal being considered and no school should be able to speak to a student athlete until they hit their first day of their Jr year - all sports, no exceptions and the whole thing goes away.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The reality is that most kids in 8th or 9th grade "like" a particular school based upon:

1) name recognition
2) uniform colors
3) company that sponsors the athletic gear

They don't give much thought to the school being a good fit based upon other more important factors. If anyone thinks this they are fooling themselves.

What's the harm in letting kids be kids for a little longer and have a level playing field for recruiting that starts Sept 1 of their junior year. If anything this will help late bloomers or those going through puberty a little later. Oh, and the kid might be a bit more mature emotionally.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just don't understand why any of the negative posters care about the people that chose to commit early.

I have two playing-one committed early and is happy playing at D-1 level (although, at the time 10th grade was early) and one not good enough to be considered still in HS.

younger one loves the game and will play as long as he can whether someone calls or not. Most colleges have club programs that are both fun and competitive without the 30 hour work week associated with D-1.

I say, to each his own-for those who commit in 9th grade, good for them, i hope it works out, for those that choose to wait-or those that never get asked-good luck to you as well.

the people saying the game has been ruined-i say just the opposite. the game is being played every spring weekend and every summer weekend by thousands of kids...ten years ago, unless you were on LI or in MD, it was simply not the case.

so just take a step back and let your kid have fun. when it is no longer fun, try a different sport. The level of competition in soccer or baseball or football or basketball is no different when it comes to club teams selling the dream...some kids get recruited, some don't. not your job or my job to critique the parenting skills of others...

I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure that most other people do, too. Too many people think it's their place to tell other people what to do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All of what you typed does not mean that early recruiting is good. The NCAA should pass the proposal being considered and no school should be able to speak to a student athlete until they hit their first day of their Jr year - all sports, no exceptions and the whole thing goes away.

simpleton, clubs will only get more powerful this way, they will be more of a conduit to the player.

I personally like the new camp format some Leagues (acc & ivy) have done giving the player and coach a chance to see a kid early.

The thing that stinks about the whole lacrosse thing is the grind that the summer has turned into (rather the 10 months out of the year) for those youth players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The reality is that most kids in 8th or 9th grade "like" a particular school based upon:

1) name recognition
2) uniform colors

They don't give much thought to the school being a good fit based upon other more important factors. If anyone thinks this they are fooling themselves.

What's the harm in letting kids be kids for a little longer and have a level playing field for recruiting that starts Sept 1 of their junior year. If anything this will help late bloomers or those going through puberty a little later. Oh, and the kid might be a bit more mature emotionally.

Agree. No harm at all. Unfortunately, that's not how recruiting works at the moment. Nor has it worked that way for a few years. I'd like to see it be a little later. I also think it should all be age based, including showcases and recruiting tournaments. This would help the kids, as well as the schools to see what they are really getting. I can also tell you that a lot less changes then you would think with these kids emotionally, mentally or from a maturity level. From 9th to 11th grade. Your kid is pretty much your kid. In fact, when puberty and physical development do take hold, sometimes behavior and decisions get a bit more risky and fearless. That damn testosterone makes us men do some strange things. Look around at some of your friends and their decisions as adults... Think about that one for a while.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry.... disagree. The NCAA is a useless agency that is more interested in making money and keeping their jobs than "protecting" athletes. Less govt not more. Coaches have their own best interest to find the best players. If they don't find good players the coaches last long. Good players are just that....good players and coaches will try to find them. I don't see how, when another player commits, has anything to do with your son/daughter. There is a school for every player. Do your homework and find a school that fits your son/daughter scholastic and athletic requirements. Heck half will quit after 2 years and many will never see the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1) name recognition
2) uniform colors

My daughter verbally committed as a freshman and considered a lot more than the three things you mentioned. She focused on schools that were a good fit academically, with campuses and surrounding areas that appealed to her - schools she would like to attend even without lacrosse. She considered coaching philosophy and team culture. We gave her a lot of guidance along the way, but ultimately the final decision of when to commit, and where, was up to her. I have to think a lot of other parents are helping their kids to consider more than just name recognition and uniform color.

We are comfortable with the early commitment, but wish the recruiting process was not starting so early. There are too many club coaches and parents pushing younger and younger kids into the process like it's a race. Sure, a great player can choose to wait until junior year and still be recruited, but there is some risk in missing out on opportunities and scholarship money by doing that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just something to consider...if the age of recruiting was changed until Sept 1 junior year, every school would have camps and clinics that falll. Say goodbye to fall sports for kids during junior year. Also junior year is esp challenging academically. My child got their looks summer before 10th. It was a lot of time to go visit the schools and coaches. Be careful what u ou wish for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kids are better prepared have taken an SAT and know what type of college student they are going to be by 11th grade. they might also have a clue on what they want to study. So they can pick a school that has what they want as opposed to kids flipping through the catalog after verbaling and saying geeze that major sounds good.

Parents are making the choices for 8th graders. 11th and 12th graders are making more of the choices themselves

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop!!! Blanket statements about kids is just nonsense. Who is anyone to tell a parent when their kid should decide on where to go to college. Stop with your over academic analysis. Commit if you want in 8th grade or 12th grade, whatever suits your kid and family. The only people who get uptight about early commits are those who aren't early commits. Better advice is to take your ego out of the mix and let the process play out naturally.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Parents are making the choices for 8th graders. 11th and 12th graders are making more of the choices themselves

couldn't agree more and the parents who argue the most to keep the process the same are the parents that like making the decisions and living through their kids!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

couldn't agree more and the parents who argue the most to keep the process the same are the parents that like making the decisions and living through their kids!

Stop being jealous. Your kid will play where he belongs. The process will dictate that to you. I assure you, he's not being missed. He'll find a spot. If he's that good he'll PG and UNC will pay for it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not Really....stop trying to make yourself feel better, your little prodigy will make it don't worry mommy and daddy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The number of de-commits are high... So, it becomes a game for coaches...
Be aware!
The recruiting stratgy with some programs are to hedge risk of early talent projection, by overcommitting -example; 7 Attackman, knowing if 3 players work out by graduation... Great... Meanwhile, the other 4 player have to restart the whole process...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The amount of lies on this board about ER is ridiculous. I've had both my sons commit to top schools as a sophomore and freshman. Nobody is taking their scholarship away. Their classes weren't over committed and nobody got dropped by graduation. Do I think kids should commit that early , no. But kids will go where there talent takes them regardless of ER. Whining and lying about the current process does nothing except make you look small and jealous.

Like Reply Quote
Page 35 of 58 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard