BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,193
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32
Re: Boys 2021 - 8th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You are a fool my friend.

Who is worthier.....a fool or an idiot? I say it's a tie.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really what about Myles Jones. Big and fast with average stick skills

Far from average, nice try though

Jone's would not be the same at a smaller size, it is his size that makes him, not anything else. Case in point!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jone's would not be the same at a smaller size, it is his size that makes him, not anything else. Case in point!

I love the line "It's his size that counts and nothing else". I hear it from my neighbor's wife all the time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love the line "It's his size that counts and nothing else". I hear it from my neighbor's wife all the time.

yep, just like that ugly guy with a big johnson, with nice job who's a jerk

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is an opinion friend, not a fact. It's your opinion too. Here is mine, Myles Jones is a special player, he would still be great, maybe not as dominant if her were smaller.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The day of the slow small lacrosse player is ending very quickly

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm pretty sure the guy's name is myles jones - not miles johnson.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is an opinion friend, not a fact. It's your opinion too. Here is mine, Myles Jones is a special player, he would still be great, maybe not as dominant if her were smaller.

Sorry, he would not be great at lets say, 5'10. Opinion, sure if that what you want to call it but pretty truthful too

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry, he would not be great at lets say, 5'10. Opinion, sure if that what you want to call it but pretty truthful too

Miles has horrible stick skills. Been watching him for a while, and those skills are real weak and hard to watch! Which is why he didn't win the Teewarton. He's got everything else, just not the most important thing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is his size, speed and Athletic Ability. How many big players do you see in D1 that excel? I can only think of two, Jones and Dylan Molloy. Most of the bigger, fast players go to football to get a full ride. With Molly dominating, you may see some other schools looking for a player that fits that mold. Molloy isn't the fastest, but he is strong as an ox and has great stick skills.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm calling it what it is, you're opinion. Also, it's completely hypothetical. What are you basing "truthful" on? You need to present some type of argument to prove your point. Dude was all everything in 3 sports in HS. He's a fantastic athlete. He would be great at 5'10, just a different type of player. Again, my opinion, pretty truthful too.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The day of the slow small lacrosse player is ending very quickly

Ok, if you say so Mr expert. You have no idea what you are talking about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I disagree, but if lacrosse ever gets to the inner city look out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is his size, speed and Athletic Ability. How many big players do you see in D1 that excel? I can only think of two, Jones and Dylan Molloy. Most of the bigger, fast players go to football to get a full ride. With Molly dominating, you may see some other schools looking for a player that fits that mold. Molloy isn't the fastest, but he is strong as an ox and has great stick skills.

Perkovic, Lane, Zenker, Caputo, Thule, all BIG middies. If you want, I can name many big attacks as well. I can also name small, fast attack and Middies. As well as big poles and small LSM's. Even large Goalies and small goalies too. See a trend here? Lacrosse is one of those unique sports where many different kinds of athletes with various statures and body types can have success at the sport. Some play with speed. Others are all box that will kill you with leverage. Still others will take your aggressive defense and play off of it. The one common denominator usually is very good stick skills. With that said, In my opinion there is a trend. Older, bigger, stronger, faster. If your son has dreams of playing D1,I urge you to go to a fall ball D1 tournament where you can get up close and see the guys play. Kind of like you do at travel tourns. You will see what your son will be up against. These guys are all thick, muscular, athletic looking young men. Much bigger overall than you would think. It is no joke, they play hard. You really can't appreciate it on TV or in the stadium stands. Guys could easily pass for football players. My older committed son now knows exactly why he's in that gym all week!
Again, these are my opinions based on my observations.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is hard to believe that there are people out there that think speed is not important. Even the slower college lacrosse players were most likely top 5 fastest in thier high school graduating class.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have you ever tried to catch a mouse? Thats what its like out maneuvering a small quick attackman, unless you corner him!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have you ever tried to catch a mouse? Thats what its like out maneuvering a small quick attackman, unless you corner him!

So based on that theory I could put a small quick defenseman on him, that should even it out?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So based on that theory I could put a small quick defenseman on him, that should even it out?

If he's tough and scrapppy, absolutely! Lacrosse is about moving quickly and smart, having impeccable stick skills and playing with grit, not about height.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's exactly what they do genius.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having been through the recruiting process twice D1 and D3 here is my take on the attributes coaches are looking for:

1) Grades. If you have a 2.5 GPA your options at the top tier D1 schools are severely limited.
2) Stick skills and Lacrosse IQ - the latter is tough to teach
3) Size/Speed - better have one or the other
4) Attitude - if your kid is a hard worker on the field - ground balls, doesn't give up, doesn't whine - it makes a real difference. No one wants a cancer in their locker room

Identify the schools you kid is interested in and engage their coaching staff - that is how you get recruited - at least that was my experience

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guy is a bit over hyped. Watch some video on him, and not his highlights. Conventional wisdom would be not to press out on him. However, teams that did, shut him down rather easily. He's a guy you cannot allow to get a head of steam going the ally or he'll wreck you. Also can't leave him alone for a step down shot at 10-12 yds. However, there are many other players that see a press out defense as a gift. Jones is not one of them. Good player, has some limitations in his game. No Rabil. Who by the way is not much smaller than Jones. Rabil 6'3" 220 Jones 6'4" 230-240.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guy is a bit over hyped. Watch some video on him, and not his highlights. Conventional wisdom would be not to press out on him. However, teams that did, shut him down rather easily. He's a guy you cannot allow to get a head of steam going the ally or he'll wreck you. Also can't leave him alone for a step down shot at 10-12 yds. However, there are many other players that see a press out defense as a gift. Jones is not one of them. Good player, has some limitations in his game. No Rabil. Who by the way is not much smaller than Jones. Rabil 6'3" 220 Jones 6'4" 230-240.

He's got no Lax IQ. With his size and speed should be way more dominant! Not enough production.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In what grade or age did your boys start to get "noticed" or when did you know they were being "looked" at?
Thank you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jones had below average stick skills when he left high school. He developed his left hand only in his junior year at Duke. If it werent for his size you wouldn't know his name.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In what grade or age did your boys start to get "noticed" or when did you know they were being "looked" at?
Thank you

8th grade

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BS

There are about 100 current freshman committed, including my son. The coaches started watching at recruiting events last winter(8th grade) fact! Sorry that you don't know about 'this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jones had below average stick skills when he left high school. He developed his left hand only in his junior year at Duke. If it werent for his size you wouldn't know his name.

What youth lacrosse club did he play for?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If he's tough and scrapppy, absolutely! Lacrosse is about moving quickly and smart, having impeccable stick skills and playing with grit, not about height.

What does tough and scrappy have to do with playing defense?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Outlaws!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is probably the best post I have seen on BOTC to this day .....TRUTH

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which one?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i am not supportive of early recruiting, but that's just the way it's been, and for all the discussions against early recruiting (parents to parents, coaches to coaches, coaches to parents), the recruiting is happening even earlier! it is true. college coaches are already expressing their interest in certain 8th grade boys for their college programs. i'm not sure about this, but my guess is that pretty much everyone can agree who the 2-4 standouts on each top team are (the teammates, parents, their coaches). and my guess is that it's those couple kids from each of these teams that are generating interest at this early age by college programs. having said that, i also think that most of the recruiting will happen for boys when they are way into their high school years - as it kinda should be?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Outlaws!

If Myles Jones played for Outlaws, then why doesn't the club promote it? Was there something wrong with his playing time, etc.?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i am not supportive of early recruiting, but that's just the way it's been, and for all the discussions against early recruiting (parents to parents, coaches to coaches, coaches to parents), the recruiting is happening even earlier! it is true. college coaches are already expressing their interest in certain 8th grade boys for their college programs. i'm not sure about this, but my guess is that pretty much everyone can agree who the 2-4 standouts on each top team are (the teammates, parents, their coaches). and my guess is that it's those couple kids from each of these teams that are generating interest at this early age by college programs. having said that, i also think that most of the recruiting will happen for boys when they are way into their high school years - as it kinda should be?

If the proposed NCAA rule goes in, it will make it so all kids are formally recruited when in HS (as it should be for all sports).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
coached for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I played D1 25 years ago (yeah, I'm old). I HATED covering small quick players at mid or attack. Also, gentlemen there is a difference between fast and quick. Obviously, athletic gifts are always helpful. I was an athlete with a less than stellar stick. In today's game, I would have played LSM. Times change.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I played with a shaft made of lumber when I was a kid. Couldn't even run with it because it was too heavy. If I played today, I'd play water boy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I played D1 25 years ago (yeah, I'm old). I HATED covering small quick players at mid or attack. Also, gentlemen there is a difference between fast and quick. Obviously, athletic gifts are always helpful. I was an athlete with a less than stellar stick. In today's game, I would have played LSM. Times change.
LSM nowadays have better stick skills than the attack I played against when I was in college, 27 years ago. My 8th grade team would probably beat my HS team with the current rules.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LSM nowadays have better stick skills than the attack I played against when I was in college, 27 years ago. My 8th grade team would probably beat my HS team with the current rules.

Eh, you'd be surprised. I played in college back around the turn of this century (guess I'm a bit younger than you guys, ha!), and I still play in a few club leagues in New [lacrosse] (teammates are mostly recent D1 grads along with a number of current players).

Aside from more expensive equipment and much deeper college rosters, the game really hasn't changed too much.

Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard