BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,537
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Re: Boys 2020
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The way they screwed around 2019 white players last year was a travesty, so if their vision was to disgracefully run the team at a balanced budget, they were a great success.

what other programs have two teams at the high school level? None. for a reason. the second team wants the 1st teams experience. cant happen.

Madlax. They have B teams at every grade. The teams are terrible and those kids have a miserable experience. But their money is as good as the A team money, so keep it coming.

This is just not true. They beat B teams all the time. They lose some tournaments because they end up playing A or AA teams. But when they play a true B or Low A team they win at at least at 85% clip.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Being a B team and beating other B teams is nothing to brag about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FCA has been bait and switching those white team kids for years, same thing will happen to this years 2020 team that happened to the 2019 last year, see ya, thanks for your dues and 3-4 years of rec level coaching and tournaments.

I think providing an option for B+ level players make sense. FCA tries to provide an experience more than lacrosse. As for the dues comment, FCA is not in it for the money. break even at best.

I'm told the FCA fee this year is $2400-2500. That's about what for profit clubs charge. They explain why the increase to parents? That's more than break even especially when you see the number of players on each team. That money go to FCA national?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The profits go to g-d

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FCA did increase the club fee this year, but I think it's hard for most to understand who are not truly involved with their mission. In my opinion as a parent, FCA did a great job of communicating why there was a price increase and the extra value. They just continue to add more extra items, fellowship, which create value.

FCA is not for everyone, but I don't see a lot of club teams paying for (A weekend retreat with no lacrosse, tickets to a fall college game, tickets to a spring college game, FCA Bayhawks night during the summer, a date night for parents where food is provided and they have a speaker talk to everyone, several big dinner for all parents and players at events like Beach Lax.)

Again, just my two cents as I know that each club teams has a different purpose and impact on the lacrosse community.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Was anyone at the showcase in Leesburg this weekend. The battle of the states or whatever it was called? How was the talent and how many coaches showed up?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all the events this weekend do you really think anyone was at Leesburg Virginia? Even some of the adrenaline events are money grabs now. Ton of coaches were on Long Island

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Philly Freshman Showcase & Invitational was loaded with coaches. The all star games on Saturday must have had a 100+ coaches on the sidelines.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Battle of the States claimed the youngest group was 2019. Was at Jake Reed - total bust. About 10 D3 coaches watching 2017/2018 on Saturday - very few coaches returned on Sunday.

The 'Blue Chip' was not evident - not an elite group of players overall but a few nuggets scattered around.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all the events this weekend do you really think anyone was at Leesburg Virginia? Even some of the adrenaline events are money grabs now. Ton of coaches were on Long Island
there were coaches at Long island but our team was disappointed. The fields were a disgrace. If your a 2021 planning next year make damn sure your team is in Philly.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Philly Freshman Showcase & Invitational was loaded with coaches. The all star games on Saturday must have had a 100+ coaches on the sidelines.

I agree. The Philly Freshman showcase was easily the best event that my son has been to. Higher level of talent/play than Jake Reed Bluechip and way way more coaches than I expected. Every major D1 program was there in force. I thought the NXT team also ran a very smooth event with mobile check in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there were coaches at Long island but our team was disappointed. The fields were a disgrace. If your a 2021 planning next year make damn sure your team is in Philly.

The Philly NXT showcase is definately the event you want to go to as a Freshman. The Freshman team games on Sunday were ok and were sparely attended by coaches. We did Jake Reed in Fla and my son made the Nike blue chip event in Md. Camp wasn't run very well and the # of coaches couldn't touch the # and quality at NXT. NXT is a must attend event if your kid wants to get looks by D1 coaches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Saw both LI and Philly. Lots of coaches at both. Philly is a better format, with better fields. I think you'd be better off in Philly as freshman, but Fall Classic did right by older kids. Two good events. Fall Classic should add a halftime. On those crappy fields it evens things up and coaches can coach a little.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was skeptical about the amount of coaches that were going to be there in Philly. Perfect weather and tons of talent brought them out in droves. 2019s and 2020s got a ton of looks in Philly - a virtual who's who of D1 coaches. Impressive to say the least....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NHSLS, NXT and an NLF event all on the same weekend really stretches a coaching staff's ability to see the kids. Weekends like this reinforce the prominence and worth of an event like Showtime.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't seem stretched to me - every D1 program had a coach in Philly. They were all there....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Philly Sunday Freshman Games were not well attended. There were coaches there but not a ton. They have 2018 and 2019 at alternate site which hurts 2020's.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Philly Sunday Freshman Games were not well attended. There were coaches there but not a ton. They have 2018 and 2019 at alternate site which hurts 2020's.

Seriously, you all need to relax, the boys have plenty of time to make a decision about where they want to go to school

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seriously, you all need to relax, the boys have plenty of time to make a decision about where they want to go to school

This is not about our sons timeline its about what is the best place to spend your hard earned money. All these events cost from $270 to $550. That is real cash to play in front of two dudes from crappy schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It isn't about the boys. This is all about the Dads living vicariously through little Johnny and being able to brag about where their son committed to as a 9th grader.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is not about our sons timeline its about what is the best place to spend your hard earned money. All these events cost from $270 to $550. That is real cash to play in front of two dudes from crappy schools.

I agree with your comment and how to best spend $$. The Saturday Philly showcase was awesome, best we've been to for 2020's. However the Sunday games were ok. Several top programs did attend the early games but then left. So if you participated in both the Saturday showcase and the Sunday invite I think it was acceptable. If you just did the Sunday games I'd say it wasn't worth it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It isn't about the boys. This is all about the Dads living vicariously through little Johnny and being able to brag about where their son committed to as a 9th grader.

The funny thing is most of the lacrosse dads I deal with of the better players are not X sports studs. Most lacrosse dads have the money and want to provide their kids with the things that are offered to them. If your son plays for a top club/high school team and the Owner/coaches are telling you your son is at a level to play D1 lacrosse. Smart parents will do what it takes to give their sons the shot at living that dream. The process is a life lesson to your son. It teaches them to push themselves and always compete at the highest level you can find. The CEO of your company did not sit back and wait around for someone to find him or her. He pushed the process. And for the kids at these high level events who are not at the level of skill to play in them it helps them learn the hard parts of life and to work harder.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't agree. There are a lot of options for the 2020's to participate in: tournaments and showcases. Some just aren't very good and there's no means other than word of mouth and/or message boards like BOTC to share experiences and opinions to help make decisions on where you'd like to spend your $$. Some events are pure money grabs and others are well worth it. Sure, us dads will be proud when/if our 2020's get college interest. We as dads have to get involved and do get invested in the process. Would you rather leave it up the the coaches and events? Crazies like Trigg and Cabell? They have their own agenda's. I'm enjoying the experience of living thru my son's lax play, sorry you're not feeling it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm enjoying the experience of living thru my son's lax play, sorry you're not feeling it.

I enjoy living my own life. You should try it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't agree. There are a lot of options for the 2020's to participate in: tournaments and showcases. Some just aren't very good and there's no means other than word of mouth and/or message boards like BOTC to share experiences and opinions to help make decisions on where you'd like to spend your $$. Some events are pure money grabs and others are well worth it. Sure, us dads will be proud when/if our 2020's get college interest. We as dads have to get involved and do get invested in the process. Would you rather leave it up the the coaches and events? Crazies like Trigg and Cabell? They have their own agenda's. I'm enjoying the experience of living thru my son's lax play, sorry you're not feeling it.

I with you on most of this. But if you think all the owners of these clubs do not have agendas you are nuts. The two named are crazy but they all have a agenda to make money or push you to a specific high school/college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your son wants to play D1 lacrosse showcases, prospect days and competitive summer tournaments are a must. Sitting on your hands waiting for some D1 coach to discover your kid on a high school team is a risky approach. At some point these college rosters are full.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"The CEO of your company did not sit back and wait around for someone to find him or her. He pushed the process".

This is my point. The boys have to be the ones actively engaged in this process, not the Dads. I am all for supporting and offering advice to my son, but unfortunately, early recruiting has made a large group of parents in the lacrosse world make it more about them, and not their boy. I am glad early recruiting wasn't around when my two older sons were in high school. As 9th graders, they were both dead set on playing D1 lacrosse. But when the offers arrived in 10th and 11th grade, they decided to accept offers to play a different sport in college at the D1 level. I am now involved again with my 9th grader, and as a "smart parent" will let him decide what he wants to do with his future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"The CEO of your company did not sit back and wait around for someone to find him or her. He pushed the process".

This is my point. The boys have to be the ones actively engaged in this process, not the Dads. I am all for supporting and offering advice to my son, but unfortunately, early recruiting has made a large group of parents in the lacrosse world make it more about them, and not their boy. I am glad early recruiting wasn't around when my two older sons were in high school. As 9th graders, they were both dead set on playing D1 lacrosse. But when the offers arrived in 10th and 11th grade, they decided to accept offers to play a different sport in college at the D1 level. I am now involved again with my 9th grader, and as a "smart parent" will let him decide what he wants to do with his future.

Well all these 9th graders are making a Verbal commitment not signing their name in blood. They all can back out or change their minds at any time. I do not care if the UNC coach is made at my son or me if he changes his mind to go play for a IVY league school or go play football his Sr. year. Parents check on their kids homework and grades all four years. Parents have all ways been involved in their kids lives. My point being parents involved should not be looked down on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Perfectly said.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know what kind of 9th grader you are living with, but the one at my house has no idea if he wants to play in college, no idea what sport (he plays 3) and no idea what type of school (division, size, public/private, rural/urban the list goes on committed to playing a division 1 sport at this point. And, that he knows where he wants to go and also to some extent what he can/cannot major in (for example, very few programs encourage you to be any time of very rigorous major so engineering, pre med etc are out). I played a sport in college and I know what a huge commitment it is, and until my son is 100% in and knows what he wants, he will be happy to just play the sports he loves. I just cannot wrap my mind around this crazy early recruiting and I feel really sorry for the kids that are being pressured in to making such an important decision so early and on). I do understand that every family is very different, but I also find it very hard to believe that any kid (without their dad's pushing) really know what they want at this point. More power to your son if he truly knows that he is 100% decided on what type of school they want to attend

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know what kind of 9th grader you are living with, but the one at my house has no idea if he wants to play in college, no idea what sport (he plays 3) and no idea what type of school (division, size, public/private, rural/urban the list goes on committed to playing a division 1 sport at this point. And, that he knows where he wants to go and also to some extent what he can/cannot major in (for example, very few programs encourage you to be any time of very rigorous major so engineering, pre med etc are out). I played a sport in college and I know what a huge commitment it is, and until my son is 100% in and knows what he wants, he will be happy to just play the sports he loves. I just cannot wrap my mind around this crazy early recruiting and I feel really sorry for the kids that are being pressured in to making such an important decision so early and on). I do understand that every family is very different, but I also find it very hard to believe that any kid (without their dad's pushing) really know what they want at this point. More power to your son if he truly knows that he is 100% decided on what type of school they want to attend

As you said, each kid is different. I have one who has wanted to play in college and knows what he wants to major in for years and has enough exposure to know what it is about. His intended major is on your list that you say they can not do but again, not every kid is alike and we personally know several that were successful D1 Big 10 and majored in science and math related fields, Your son is not there yet which is also okay - have one like that too but the 9th grader that knows what he wants is not an anomaly out here.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But that was my point. He can pick a college and verbal in 9th grade. Just look at the 2017 class I think I read they have like 44 kids who changed schools at the last second. The coaches use your kid do not feel guilty using them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When you say "crazy", "can't wrap my mind around", "very hard to believe", "feel really sorry", you must have a very strong position on the matter, likely from experience. I wonder if you can give one example of a tragic, or even unfortunate, early recruiting story that has played itself out. I only hear of great success stories, or just very typical/average stories that would have occurred with or without an early verbal. I am aware of zero examples of early recruiting affecting a life in a negative manner. But again, with all of your hyperbole, I'm sure you can educate us with some of your crazy, hard to believe, real life examples that compelled you to chime in on a matter that you can't wrap your mind around. Enlighten us, please...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm enjoying the experience of living thru my son's lax play, sorry you're not feeling it.

Guess this board has attracted a real self centered Dad who has no interest in helping his son and would rather not be involved in any aspect of the lacrosse process. Think they call that an absentee dad. they're 15 and need help to make decisions and we also have a great time together. Too bad you don't have the same relationship with your boy. I guess when the process is failing you'd rather look away and ignore it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guess this board has attracted a real self centered Dad who has no interest in helping his son and would rather not be involved in any aspect of the lacrosse process. Think they call that an absentee dad. they're 15 and need help to make decisions and we also have a great time together. Too bad you don't have the same relationship with your boy. I guess when the process is failing you'd rather look away and ignore it.

Terrible strawman.

The poster is saying he doesn't "liv[e] through [his] son's lax play". That doesn't mean he doesn't support his kid.

The guy who actually thought it was a good idea to type the original quote is a nutcase. Who actually admits that one lives vicariously through the life of his son?

Really? You have really no life?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you say "crazy", "can't wrap my mind around", "very hard to believe", "feel really sorry", you must have a very strong position on the matter, likely from experience. I wonder if you can give one example of a tragic, or even unfortunate, early recruiting story that has played itself out. I only hear of great success stories, or just very typical/average stories that would have occurred with or without an early verbal. I am aware of zero examples of early recruiting affecting a life in a negative manner. But again, with all of your hyperbole, I'm sure you can educate us with some of your crazy, hard to believe, real life examples that compelled you to chime in on a matter that you can't wrap your mind around. Enlighten us, please...

Bleacher Report

"He didn't ask for this, you know. Couldn't have imagined it in three forevers.

Which is sort of what the past six years have felt like.

David Sills didn't ask for Lane Kiffin to show up and turn his life sideways. Didn't ask to be offered a scholarship to mighty USC when he was just 13 years old. Didn't ask for the national attention, and then scrutiny, that came with the offer. Didn't ask for all that uncertainty while still figuring out puberty..."

USA Today

"In 2010, David Sills V couldn’t miss. On Thursday, he officially missed.

Dubbed a sure-fire college quarterback superstar while still in the seventh grade, Sills earned national attention when he committed to then-USC football coach Lane Kiffin on Feb. 10, 2010. He was just 12 years old, a protege of famed quarterback whisperer Steve Clarkson, who said his intangible quarterback makeup was unimpeachable. When added with genes that made it likely he would sprout into a college football-ready frame, Sills seemed like a good bet..."

Saw the above story on ESPN about a month or so ago and looked up the links to provide a football example.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bleacher Report

David Sills didn't ask for Lane Kiffin to show up and turn his life sideways. Didn't ask to be offered a scholarship to mighty USC when he was just 13 years old. Didn't ask for the national attention, and then scrutiny, that came with the offer. Didn't ask for all that uncertainty while still figuring out puberty..."

USA Today

Dubbed a sure-fire college quarterback superstar while still in the seventh grade, Sills earned national attention when he committed to then-USC football coach Lane Kiffin on Feb. 10, 2010. He was just 12 years old, a protege of famed quarterback whisperer Steve Clarkson, who said his intangible quarterback makeup was unimpeachable. When added with genes that made it likely he would sprout into a college football-ready frame, Sills seemed like a good bet..."

Saw the above story on ESPN about a month or so ago and looked up the links to provide a football example.

Lacrosse dumbo.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bleacher Report

USA Today

I think we were talking about lacrosse, but seriously, these were the examples that came up when you googled it!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, I am not going to use names or specific schools to protect privacy. But a young man that I know committed to a Patriot League school early in his Soph year. He was feeling the pressure because he played on a very high profile team and quite a few of his teammates had already committed. He ended up being "dropped" by the school at the end of his Junior year. The school claimed it was grade related, but who knows if they just decided they found a better player. He was so disenfranchised he ended up not playing lacrosse again ( didn't play school ball or club after that) and is not partying it up at another college.

I am sure there are many more, but no one is advertising them because it makes the kid and/or family look foolish. My point is, there is no reason that schools need to be recruiting 8th and 9th graders. If you feel good about it, then go for it

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse dumbo.

So you can't imagine any similar scenario happening in lacrosse? This could happen to other players in other sports, both mens and womens and this just happened to be a football example that was highly publicized and readily available.

With only the monetary equivalent of 12.6 scholarships to spread across a D1 lax roster and 85 scholarships to spread across a D1 football roster, it's not a stretch that this could happen to someone in lax.

Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard