BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status. Risks of early sports specialization include higher rates of injury . . . and quitting sports at a young age.”

How big is the risk of injury if you specialize in one sport? A Loyola University Chicago study of 1,200 youth athletes found that kids who specialized in one sport were 70 percent to 93 percent more likely to be injured than multi-sport athletes.That’s a lot.

Kids who specialize in one sport also get burned out. An Ohio State University study found that kids who played a single sport were more likely to quit their sport and be physically inactive as adults.

There are a ton of studies and articles published stating the benefits of being a multi sport athlete such as the above and virtually none extoling the virtues of being a " specialized' athlete.

BEFORE 13-14!! The discussion was around high school sports. You make yourself look foolish when you cite a study that actually supports the opposite position. Read it again ... "A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status." Implying that after age 13-14 (high school for most but maybe u started at 16?) to achieve elite status specialization actually could be important. Nice job genius.

Yeah, and studies that show smoking is bad for pre-teens imply that it is good for high school and college kids.

Every study that addresses sports specialization has been done with regard to "early specialization" as defined as youth sports, as this one was. I get it tho, your daughter isn't very good at sports. It's ok. She should try the flute.

Moving on ... Many spots already filled at the top schools. When does the next tier start ramping up? Is it fair to say that the vast majority of top 40 D1 programs will be done/almost done by spring high school season?

If you listen to people on this site you would think that all D1 recruiting is done before entering 10th grade. Having been to many schools and talked to many coaches that is not even remotely close to accurate, for a very small handful of the aggressive recruiting schools maybe. I was surprised by many coaches who only start recruiting in 10th. Don't let the people on this site scare you, plenty of oppurtunity exists later in the process. Your top 50 -100 recruits may go quick, but not everybody is in a rush to commit including many coaches.

No you are correct. But a lot of it will be done by the end of 10th grade. Still spots after that for sure, but not a ton.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status. Risks of early sports specialization include higher rates of injury . . . and quitting sports at a young age.”

How big is the risk of injury if you specialize in one sport? A Loyola University Chicago study of 1,200 youth athletes found that kids who specialized in one sport were 70 percent to 93 percent more likely to be injured than multi-sport athletes.That’s a lot.

Kids who specialize in one sport also get burned out. An Ohio State University study found that kids who played a single sport were more likely to quit their sport and be physically inactive as adults.

There are a ton of studies and articles published stating the benefits of being a multi sport athlete such as the above and virtually none extoling the virtues of being a " specialized' athlete.

BEFORE 13-14!! The discussion was around high school sports. You make yourself look foolish when you cite a study that actually supports the opposite position. Read it again ... "A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status." Implying that after age 13-14 (high school for most but maybe u started at 16?) to achieve elite status specialization actually could be important. Nice job genius.

Yeah, and studies that show smoking is bad for pre-teens imply that it is good for high school and college kids.

Every study that addresses sports specialization has been done with regard to "early specialization" as defined as youth sports, as this one was. I get it tho, your daughter isn't very good at sports. It's ok. She should try the flute.

Moving on ... Many spots already filled at the top schools. When does the next tier start ramping up? Is it fair to say that the vast majority of top 40 D1 programs will be done/almost done by spring high school season?

If you listen to people on this site you would think that all D1 recruiting is done before entering 10th grade. Having been to many schools and talked to many coaches that is not even remotely close to accurate, for a very small handful of the aggressive recruiting schools maybe. I was surprised by many coaches who only start recruiting in 10th. Don't let the people on this site scare you, plenty of oppurtunity exists later in the process. Your top 50 -100 recruits may go quick, but not everybody is in a rush to commit including many coaches.

This. My daughter talked with a coach from a competitive D1 program a couple of weeks ago and was told she was the first 2019 they have talked with, and it's new for them to reach out this early, as they usually start talking with recruits during the summer before junior year. Heard the same from several other schools in the 20-40 ranking range. Also, several top 20 schools she's talked to have several verbals, but still have plenty of open spots.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And even more spots available in other schools that are not in the top 40 but are very solid academically.
Going into panic mode and rush this decision could really cause a lot of problems later. We're more into finding that right fit for academics, social and lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Moving on ... Many spots already filled at the top schools. When does the next tier start ramping up? Is it fair to say that the vast majority of top 40 D1 programs will be done/almost done by spring high school season? [/quote]

If you listen to people on this site you would think that all D1 recruiting is done before entering 10th grade. Having been to many schools and talked to many coaches that is not even remotely close to accurate, for a very small handful of the aggressive recruiting schools maybe. I was surprised by many coaches who only start recruiting in 10th. Don't let the people on this site scare you, plenty of oppurtunity exists later in the process. Your top 50 -100 recruits may go quick, but not everybody is in a rush to commit including many coaches.[/quote]

This. My daughter talked with a coach from a competitive D1 program a couple of weeks ago and was told she was the first 2019 they have talked with, and it's new for them to reach out this early, as they usually start talking with recruits during the summer before junior year. Heard the same from several other schools in the 20-40 ranking range. Also, several top 20 schools she's talked to have several verbals, but still have plenty of open spots. [/quote]

Yup, and most of those spots, as the original post asks, will be gone by next summer. There are no top 40 programs that start talking to their first recruits the summer before their junior years. Used to be, but not any more. Heck, a friends daughter in the 2020 grade has already been contacted by schools below the top 40. They r lying if they say they aren't talking to recruits.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does it make sense to consider a school like Syracuse or florida just because the team is so strong? the academics are so mediocre and they will give so much to the team. I mean, will a young lady with a BA from a school like this have anything to offer a super competitive job market?? confused here please give guidance if yah have it.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is over in 4 years. Your college degree is forever. Send your kid to the best academic school you can

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Finally, someone who gets it!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So are all the other sports for 99.9% of the kids on LI...but those people are just as crazy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is over in 4 years. Your college degree is forever. Send your kid to the best academic school you can

And that they r a fit for. It does them no good if they get to Harvard and fail out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And that they r a fit for. It does them no good if they get to Harvard and fail out.

Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok. disagree in this case, but you're entitled to your opinion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That sounds like and expensive approach to college. I prefer to pick strong academics where we know that my daughter can succeed and also play D1 because she wants to. I would have been totally thrilled with D3 and all their academically strong schools. But, she's worked hard to get to this point.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That sounds like and expensive approach to college. I prefer to pick strong academics where we know that my daughter can succeed and also play D1 because she wants to. I would have been totally thrilled with D3 and all their academically strong schools. But, she's worked hard to get to this point.

Amen!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
umm. Harvard is D1 and also pretty strong academically. the hardest part of an Ivy League school is getting in. it is not that different than many other strong academic colleges once you get there. staying in is not a huge deal in other words.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
umm. Harvard is D1 and also pretty strong academically. the hardest part of an Ivy League school is getting in. it is not that different than many other strong academic colleges once you get there. staying in is not a huge deal in other words.

Ivies are different in that they don't provide the academic infrastructure of non-ivies to help athletes. Stanford and Duke, for instance, provide tutoring and time management help through their student-athlete academic services departments. Quite a big difference. It is true that the hardest part is getting in. But for laxers (and other athletes) it's much easier, and that can be great, or a problem. The football team at Harvard, for example, over recruits by close to 50% because they know that many kids will drop football/not cut it academically because it can be overwhelming for a kid who isn't a good fit. It is important to make sure a school is a good fit for your kid. Just because they can get in, doesn't make it the right place.

Now if your kid gets into Harvard, Stanford, Duke and Northwestern, I'm not saying they should go to a much weaker academic school instead. What I am saying is that these highly competitive academic schools have differences, and one might fit a kid better than another.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Amen!

I would rather teach my children to always set their goals high and to work diligently to exceed their goals while constantly looking for new challenges and setting new goals. What schools they go to and what level they play is not important. The important thing is that they set goals, work hard and enjoy what they are doing. Playing it safe and looking for the sure thing is no way to go through life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the old line was 'you can get a potted plant into U. of Florida' .. but to play Lacrosse you have to be a stud. guess the game is more important for the parents ultimately.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Academic snob huh? Probly a lot of ivy leagers working for the state school graduates. Get off your high horse okay..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very quiet on the 19 thread

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

'19s have gotten recruited faster and in greater numbers than 18s. I'm told it was both the constant progression of things getting earlier coupled w the fact that the '19 age group nationally was better both at the top and deeper. Any comments?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Relax Heros dad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the Club movement has peaked and is about to collapse. These greedy, egomaniacal, couldn't give a rats red a** about the kids club directors have overplayed their hands. the commitment is 3x the time and 2x the money it was just 5 or 6 years ago. I think people have just had enough. anyone else got the same hunch?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am very sure the various club directors would disagree with the "peaked" aspect....
But until us common folk rise up and demand accountability and transparency as we would any other business, things will keep chugging along while we lemmings support the travel machine.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019 commit from Integrity to U of Florida. That makes four 2019 commits for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure if that is boasting but heros and mnd have many more. Congrats to all the girls

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure if that is boasting but heros and mnd have many more. Congrats to all the girls

It is a little boasting, but the point I was trying to make is there are very good players on teams other than M&D. Integrity is in the second tier of teams behind M&D, no question. Their philosophy is one team per age group to keep the drama down, and to try to put out the best team they can at that particular age group. And, more to your answer, you have to remember that this is not a contest to see who can get the most girls recruited. It's a means to get the girls into a college that they are comfortable in at a discounted tuition, while also playing lacrosse. And, I echo your comment...Good luck to all the girls, regardless of which club they play for or which school they choose.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes it's boasting, not to mention obnoxious, but thank you for again telling us how superior your daughters club is, insecure much? Can you now allow other girls and other clubs to have a little sunshine also?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes it's boasting, not to mention obnoxious, but thank you for again telling us how superior your daughters club is, insecure much? Can you now allow other girls and other clubs to have a little sunshine also?

Take it easy on them, only boasting if they are doing better than other clubs and rubbing it in. Not the case here, other top clubs have around 30 2019's committed at this point. Lay off, say congrats, and wish the girl(s) good luck. A commit to FL is a great accomplishment no matter what club you come from!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Take it easy on them, only boasting if they are doing better than other clubs and rubbing it in. Not the case here, other top clubs have around 30 2019's committed at this point. Lay off, say congrats, and wish the girl(s) good luck. A commit to FL is a great accomplishment no matter what club you come from!

People...it's not a contest to see who has the "best" club based on the number of commits. Nobody actual intelligent grownups give a crap which teams is "best". Only over-zealous, frustrated jock parents care about that crap. Give 'em a break...they're probably working with limited intelligence.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Not sure if that is boasting but heros and mnd have many more. Congrats to all the girls

People...it's not a contest to see who has the "best" club based on the number of commits. Nobody actual intelligent grownups give a crap which teams is "best". Only over-zealous, frustrated jock parents care about that crap. Give 'em a break...they're probably working with limited intelligence. [/quote

Funniest post ever without trying to be funny.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
numb n***. who has 30 2019's committed?? Jackets has low twenties and obviously way ahead of all others. why is there such a lack of factual info on the site right now? no one messes with the bee.. come with some facts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just heard a rumor that CR had a vasectomy a week ago. LOL.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ have 26 but who's counting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ have 26 but who cares? most will end up riding the bench. They just aren't that good.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they aint being given spots at top collegese for their great academic records or because the schools will benrfit from having a bunch of parents with tats on their arms and moms with big hair like the 80's.. its because they can flat out play. no other reason. get real

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ have 26 but who cares? most will end up riding the bench. They just aren't that good.

Really? what club does your daughter play for?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? what club does your daughter play for?

One that's better than them. Sorry, the 2019 YJ is just not that great. They're good, just not 26 early D1 commit good. There are at least 4 teams better than them in this age group, and quite frankly you can't usually say that about YJ teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not a YJ parent but based on results I don't think you can come up with 4 better teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So when you say there are 4 betters teams then them, that would mean those other teams would have winning records against them, correct?

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard