BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Girls Tryout Discussion
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You should consider LI Waive ( spelled wrong intentionally -fore some reason when spelled correctly it comes up ****). New owners just announced and will be aggressive yet stick with the one team per grade philosophy to ensure attention is given to every player. Better to be the standout on a small team than to get looked over on clubs with multiple teams looking for money. Remember- college coaches don't care what team you played on. Go with a dedicated small club and get some private lessons here and there.

This is not terrible advice, although I will counter, if she can make the top clubs top team, that's where she should play
(edit)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's perfect. Fully what I expected when posing the question. Was just concerned that the C is not competitive, might be a throw away year and is it worth it if there are too many politics to honestly get a shot to move up.

We did the "throw away" year last season, and expect to move up, since my daughter turned out to be one of the best on the B team. During the tryout last year (YJ) being new to the organization, she was pretty much immediately banished to the looser side. (everyone knows what that means!) Was not even given a fair chance! We stuck it out, worked hard, hopefully it pays off!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need honest assessment of YJ 22s. Three teams listed. How big is drop from A to B to C? Is there an honest shot of making A or B at tryouts at this stage?

Can I ask? What team are you thinking of moving from, can you hint? Is it another higher end team (Top Guns, Elevate, Liberty) or a lower tiered team (Leg A C, Beach Bums, 90+1, etc.)??? I think this would make a difference in your decision. If she's already on the A of one of the other "big" teams, why move? If she's on a lower team's A, then a move to YJ C would make sense if she has the talent to be noticed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's perfect. Fully what I expected when posing the question. Was just concerned that the C is not competitive, might be a throw away year and is it worth it if there are too many politics to honestly get a shot to move up.

We did the "throw away" year last season, and expect to move up, since my daughter turned out to be one of the best on the B team. During the tryout last year (YJ) being new to the organization, she was pretty much immediately banished to the looser side. (everyone knows what that means!) Was not even given a fair chance! We stuck it out, worked hard, hopefully it pays off!

Im not trying to be a d*ck, but, in order to move up she'll need to be "The" best player on B or be better than the last player on A.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[sic]
Need honest assessment of YJ 22s. Three teams listed. How big is drop from A to B to C? Is there an honest shot of making A or B at tryouts at this stage?

Can I ask? What team are you thinking of moving from, can you hint? Is it another higher end team (Top Guns, Elevate, Liberty) or a lower tiered team (Leg A C, Beach Bums, 90+1, etc.)??? I think this would make a difference in your decision. If she's already on the A of one of the other "big" teams, why move? If she's on a lower team's A, then a move to YJ C would make sense if she has the talent to be noticed.

I still think the key thing will be playing time. Playing < 7 minutes a game on an A team vs most of the game on a B team, I'd personally take the B team unless you really feel that the spot on the A team will result in big time on the field. Lest anyone forget the roster sizes involved here. Being #23 on the team is pretty much a chance to stand next to the kids who are playing rather than actually playing in the game.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed 2022 A is top notch. 2022 runs 35 very good Girls 30 good IMO. 10 of which are legit studs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im not trying to be a d*ck, but, in order to move up she'll need to be "The" best player on B or be better than the last player on A.

Any any given day the top 10 A can be swapped with the top 10 B kids and there would be no impact to either team. I have yet to see a YJ A team with 20 plus studs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Appreciate the healthy dialogue on this. These questions typically go right into the gutter. We have played for one of the A teams in what would have been in the 2nd tier that was listed above. Everyone is telling us to make the jump soon to one of the bigger programs as we've maxed out our experience there. I'm not one of those parents that thinks my daughter is the best, probably only expect her to be on the B at YJ if I'm honest with myself, which led to my question of is there an honest shot of cracking the roster at tryouts, if not, is the C competitive enough to learn for a year while she earns her way up. Think I got what I was looking for on here. Well done, folks!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any any given day the top 10 A can be swapped with the top 10 B kids and there would be no impact to either team. I have yet to see a YJ A team with 20 plus studs.

Meant the bottom 10 on A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Meant the bottom 10 on A

I have seen many times at several age groups the top girls from B go up and struggle mightily on A. Have also seen struggling A girls go down and kill it on the B team. I would agree with you for about 2 or 3 kids can be interchanged and make little difference. 10 you are delusional. At several age groups at YJ I would go as far to say 0. As in the worst player on A is better than the best on B. But there are definitely a few political age groups that need fixing.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck with that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck with that.

Thats what we'll be saying to you when your daughter is moved down! Rather work hard and earn it than feel entitled!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares what team she is on. If she is good enough...college coaches will find her. You have to market you kid, not the program. Send emails to coaches, go to camp, and don't waste your $$$$$$ on YG, TG..Save some $ go to a small club and if she is good enough she will be recruited.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only problem with that strategy is the small clubs charge just as much or more.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are all of the clubs out there charging $2000 plus like Team Elevate, YG and Top Gun? FOR WHAT???? Its not the Club....Its you and your child doing the work. Its CRAZY how much $$$ is thrown around looking for the D1 Full Ride that DOES NOT EXIST.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Small clubs are cost effective and so much more personal attention! It doesn't matter what club your kid plays for- it's better to save your money and coaches your schedule, make a YouTube tape and they will contact your daughter or son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares what team she is on. If she is good enough...college coaches will find her. You have to market you kid, not the program. Send emails to coaches, go to camp, and don't waste your $$$$$$ on YG, TG..Save some $ go to a small club and if she is good enough she will be recruited.

The key is getting the coaching. Right now TG and YJ are lacking that. YJ just paoches talented girls and TG barley teaches the girls about how to play the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So who has all the coaching, and what clubs are yj poaching?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ's poach from everywhere! Every year some of the best kids at all the surrounding programs make the jump because they are promised things and they know the club will get them the most visibility. Its easier to get a look on the YJ's then some other teams but it is POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE you just have to work at it. 2nd pick in NFL draft was from a D2 school that kid had a tougher road then an ohio state kid on tv ever week but the kid still got noticed. Best girls on Wave and Liberty do just fine finding a college spot

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The key is getting the coaching. Right now TG and YJ are lacking that. YJ just paoches talented girls and TG barley teaches the girls about how to play the game.
Speak for yourself. SS coaches the 2020 Black team and my daughter couldn't be happier despite all the negativity you read here. I'll also add that as parents we are very happy as well. The point is don't discredit all the coaches on travel teams. There are lots of good ones on all of them, YJ, TG, etc .... Maybe your child didn't get what you hoped out of it, but many are learning and developing great lacrosse skills and life skills. And , many are having the time of their lives with great friends.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have you seen the Wave commitment page?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ's poach from everywhere! Every year some of the best kids at all the surrounding programs make the jump because they are promised things and they know the club will get them the most visibility. Its easier to get a look on the YJ's then some other teams but it is POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE you just have to work at it. 2nd pick in NFL draft was from a D2 school that kid had a tougher road then an ohio state kid on tv ever week but the kid still got noticed. Best girls on Wave and Liberty do just fine finding a college spot

Liberty absolutely, but it's a stretch to say that the Wave is in the same league when it comes to placing their girls. Look at the difference in where the girls from Liberty attend versus the Wave and you will see there really is no comparison.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that has more to do with talent level than the club simply pitching kids to a school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Liberty absolutely, but it's a stretch to say that the Wave is in the same league when it comes to placing their girls. Look at the difference in where the girls from Liberty attend versus the Wave and you will see there really is no comparison.

Difference is the Liberty kids were going to those good schools either way. Sorry but that's a product of growing up in Manahasset.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Talking about Liberty....why does it take 10 days after try-outs for roster spots to be offered?

Seems pretty odd.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
whats going on with rules changes for 2017

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so you would rather have to find out within 3 days and be forced to commit in another 3 days?...and write that check for $500?makes more sense to buy some time in case you want to try out for other organizations w/out being forced to commit right away..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so you would rather have to find out within 3 days and be forced to commit in another 3 days?...and write that check for $500?makes more sense to buy some time in case you want to try out for other organizations w/out being forced to commit right away..

You are assuming that no other offers are already outstanding.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
good point....was not sure how many other programs have already conducted tryouts...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

for a Lower tier team Legacy beat teams that beat TG and Liberty this year. Doubt Any of them will beat Leg next season after upgrades.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Need honest assessment of YJ 22s. Three teams listed. How big is drop from A to B to C? Is there an honest shot of making A or B at tryouts at this stage?

for a Lower tier team Legacy beat teams that beat TG and Liberty this year. Doubt Any of them will beat Leg next season after upgrades.

What upgrades?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Need honest assessment of YJ 22s. Three teams listed. How big is drop from A to B to C? Is there an honest shot of making A or B at tryouts at this stage?

What upgrades?

A few YJ girls are going to Leg for 2023, for the coaching. Should be a very good team next year.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

What upgrades?

A few YJ girls are going to Leg for 2023, for the coaching. Should be a very good team next year.

I'm no YJ parent but jeez-- every year now with the 'Leg is going to kill it now with the YJ players they are snatching'. Look at the same time last year on these forums and you'll see it all over the place. It's hooey.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What upgrades?

Yawn... No one cares about this program, they will never draw quality studs, All low level talent on all the teams A and B combined. Program is above Beach Bums, *1, but will never get to the YJ or even TG level and TG has been struggling so that says alot. I would advise those girls to stay where they are. This program is struggling to even build a buzz. No buzz, no interest = no looks, that's unless those girls are on YJ 3-4. First and second YJ have no business leaving for Leg.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they have the heart to leave the brand and go purely with the best coach for the age group

What upgrades?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What upgrades?

Yawn... No one cares about this program, they will never draw quality studs, All low level talent on all the teams A and B combined. Program is above Beach Bums, *1, but will never get to the YJ or even TG level and TG has been struggling so that says alot. I would advise those girls to stay where they are. This program is struggling to even build a buzz. No buzz, no interest = no looks, that's unless those girls are on YJ 3-4. First and second YJ have no business leaving for Leg.

How do the 2023 YJ compare to TG? I know the last time they played TG won handily. It seemed like the YJ teams didn't do well last summer against the better teams, at times loosing all the games at some tournaments. Is it a weak year in general?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do the 2019 YJ compare to the rest of the island clubs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What upgrades?

Wow...someone has some issues. You are right that they are having a tough time at some age groups. But a couple of teams are pretty good. Their 2020 blue team is comprised of many girls that left TG and YJ. Yes, and some of them were from that organizations top team. And, to your dismay, many are receiving contacts from some top colleges. But please continue to go on believing that only certain teams get looked at if that makes you feel better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just goes to show what coaching can do...they did take kids from lower TG and YJ and have developed two very good teams...they don't need a buzz from this website...they need to develop kids and thats it!!

What upgrades?

Wow...someone has some issues. You are right that they are having a tough time at some age groups. But a couple of teams are pretty good. Their 2020 blue team is comprised of many girls that left TG and YJ. Yes, and some of them were from that organizations top team. And, to your dismay, many are receiving contacts from some top colleges. But please continue to go on believing that only certain teams get looked at if that makes you feel better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What two teams did they develop? and I'm sorry, I would not be leaving my program to go to a start up branch off of a boys team just because they have one good team. What top teams did they play this summer to even come close to being called a good team? and I mean a top team, please do not give me a rundown of all the low level teams and tournaments they played. Seems you Leg folks, like to toot your own horns. The one "good team" as you call it is very mediocre. let's have this conversation again next year when you are still looking for your kids commit/offer. Truth is they're not having issues with some teams, they're having issues with almost all except the mighty self proclaimed "Pretty Good" Blue Team. Program is for kids that have no other options so they settle. Most of the TG/YJ kids that left to go to Leg were demoted and saw Leg as a way to save face. Mediocre low level program/kids.

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard