BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 40 of 47 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 46 47
Re: Re: Boys 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thanks Dad. I'm sure they won't see the field. Only when you play Freeport or JfK. Not knocking the kids but I'm sure a school the size of 'Pequa has plenty of upperclassemen who are more deserving to play.

Not a 'pequa dad but I agree they will have a few '19s on the squad and by the JFK game I am sure a few more freshman will join them in preparation of the playoffs.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Repugnant, nasty individual. Seems like you are threatened that Massapequa has talented freshman.

Rather than wish I g the players well, you are nasty. Cannot wait to see the freshman who are moved up to varsity do their thing.

Congrats to those 2019 MHS FRESHMAN who do get the honor of beginning the first year of 4 yr Varsity player.

My hat is off yo each of you!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Repugnant, nasty individual. Seems like you are threatened that Massapequa has talented freshman.

Rather than wish I g the players well, you are nasty. Cannot wait to see the freshman who are moved up to varsity do their thing.

Congrats to those 2019 MHS FRESHMAN who do get the honor of beginning the first year of 4 yr Varsity player.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not likely that any freshman will do much more than gain experience. If you think otherwise you are delusional. Especially for a program like pequa. And, no I am not the other poster.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't manhassett have a freshman play up last year?

WM has a 2019 committed to an ivy already

Pequa has a loaded 2019 class.

GC has probably 3 freshmen that could play up on varsity.

SWR has one as well.

Syosset has some very good 2019s. 2 are really good

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

SWR has one as well.

This is all great and Im sure they are all fine players, but varsity is a different animal. Im going to say that most of these kids will not see 1 minute of actually playing time in any kind of meaningful game if they actually get pulled up to varsity and stay there. Not a knock on those kids its just reality. Standing out against other 2019's is one thing, competing against some of the best competition in the country is quite another especially given the size and speed difference. All of those kids will wait their turn and shine when its their time. Best of luck to all of them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

SWR has one as well.

This is all great and Im sure they are all fine players, but varsity is a different animal. Im going to say that most of these kids will not see 1 minute of actually playing time in any kind of meaningful game if they actually get pulled up to varsity and stay there. Not a knock on those kids its just reality. Standing out against other 2019's is one thing, competing against some of the best competition in the country is quite another especially given the size and speed difference. All of those kids will wait their turn and shine when its their time. Best of luck to all of them.

I'm confused. All I hear on this site is how early recruiting is bad for the game. There is non stop banter about how early recruiting is resulting in parity at the DI level. People cheer when the programs who habitually drive the early recruiting process lose to teams that "wait" a bit longer. I hear people say "how can college coaches tell who the studs are going to be?". There is also a lot of talk about the "late bloomer". I also hear how strong certain programs are (Massapequa, Syosset, Garden City, Manhasett, Smithtown E, Ward Melville). I hear how competitive the leagues are. I have to ask some questions.

Is it really that competitive?

If schools the size of Massapequa, Ward Melville and Syosset have to bring up 9th graders is the program really that strong? Smaller schools like Manhasset and CHS i get it.

Why don't these programs go with their late bloomers? is it because oonce the HS coach brings a kid up they are committed to the kid? Are HS coaches afraid to admit they made a mistake? Do the late bloomers simply get pushed aside and never get the chance?

If early recruiting is ruining the game then I would guess HS coaches bringing up 9th graders is contributing to the demise as well. Parents (youth league coaches) and kids jockeying and [lacrosse] kissing. Youth league "parent" coaches trying to pave the way and promote their own kid. Does any of this contribut to the current state of the game?

Do HS coaches feel obligated to bring early recruits up? Do the HS coaches feel they need to bring the early recruits up in order to stay relevant in the recruiting process. Kids are committing before they ever play a varsity game. Does that influence the HS coach? Are HS coaches influenced by college coaches calling on behalf of their recruits?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cant speak for the other schools, but WM usually brings up one or two 9th graders-and they never really do anything but practice with the team. run on the field in a blow out...

Much better to have those boys playing with their buddies on JV in my opinion. But-let's face it, parents enjoy the bragging rights of getting recruited early or being asked to play V as a freshman. the kids deserve credit and this is not disrespectful to them or their parents.

But Absolutely nothing wrong with playing JV for a year or two and having fun with your mates (even if you were an early recruit).

the thrill of varsity is getting asked, after that, more fun to be had-and more time on the field, at JV level. Rushing to be on varsity so you can go to the weekly pasta parties...

I am not a historian, but don't recall any freshman at WM that contributed in any meaningful way over the last 5 years...yes, I saw a couple run on the field occasionally, but never a stud.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cant speak for the other schools, but WM usually brings up one or two 9th graders-and they never really do anything but practice with the team. run on the field in a blow out...

Much better to have those boys playing with their buddies on JV in my opinion. But-let's face it, parents enjoy the bragging rights of getting recruited early or being asked to play V as a freshman. the kids deserve credit and this is not disrespectful to them or their parents.

But Absolutely nothing wrong with playing JV for a year or two and having fun with your mates (even if you were an early recruit).

the thrill of varsity is getting asked, after that, more fun to be had-and more time on the field, at JV level. Rushing to be on varsity so you can go to the weekly pasta parties...

I am not a historian, but don't recall any freshman at WM that contributed in any meaningful way over the last 5 years...yes, I saw a couple run on the field occasionally, but never a stud.

My oldest son played varsity as a Freshman and it wasn't a great experience. He was big and skilled but not fast. His body hadn't matured enough so he didn't really enjoy it. As a sophomore he was much faster and loved every second of it. Each kid is different as is each situation. Let the kids have fun and enjoy the time, it goes by way too fast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My oldest son played varsity as a Freshman and it wasn't a great experience. He was big and skilled but not fast. His body hadn't matured enough so he didn't really enjoy it. As a sophomore he was much faster and loved every second of it. Each kid is different as is each situation. Let the kids have fun and enjoy the time, it goes by way too fast.

Same exact thing happened with my son, Was miserable, while all his buddies were having a ball on JV. Sophomore, totally different story!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if a 2019 verbal plays on JV, or a freshman team? Seems like that should be OK, but maybe viewed as a dud.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one cares about JV ball- NO one- Have your son play varsity even if he does not start.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if a 2019 verbal plays on JV, or a freshman team? Seems like that should be OK, but maybe viewed as a dud.

I believe Chaminade has several 2018's that are committed and will be playing JV this year, and I dont think anyone views them as duds. The only problem with JV is that the competition is a joke. My son played JV last year and I think they played 1 close game all year. Not much you can do about it, just play, get better and get ready for the next level.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mine verbally committed and then played JV. we discussed this decision with fam and varsity coach. he wasn't going to start on v-nor should he have-at his position.

coach understood our position and the jv coach was thrilled. 10th grade is now and will see time on the v team but there are still seniors that are very good and deserve to play, even if i think my kid is a little better...HS ball -no matter the sport-should be fun and create memories. Having a kid step over seniors that are as good or close to as good is just wrong

we had our club coach tell the college coach. they didn't care at all and were happy to see us on the sidelines this past summer...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one cares about JV ball- NO one- Have your son play varsity even if he does not start.

Kids do. Not everyone gets recruited or cares to.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know LI has some top HS programs. That written, I think this dialogue points to what is really wrong with lacrosse. 9th graders with very few exception should play JV at a program like Chaminade. A fair representation of them might not be at varsity levels as 10th graders as well. If a kid is committed that young to a college but isn't ready for the higher tier of high school level, that tells me that the college coaches have over indulged by the hundreds. There are now 11th and 12th graders in Maryland whose only real accomplishment and relevance is they committed young.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Massapequa MAY, have two 2019's on the varsity. They are a very good group, with two excellent goalies, an excellent but undersized attackman who is being heavily recruited. Three or four really good middies, A great FOGO, and a couple of really decent defensemen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

IMHO If a 2019 that verbaled played on a Freshman team then the school knows what they are doing (since most schools with Freshman teams are Catholics so they probably know what they are doing). It is invaluable to keep a class together at least the first year whether Freshman (Catholics) or JV (Publics). That will create a bound and memories for a lifetime for the boys. Next year as a Soph is a different story.

That being said if a group of players were moved up together that could change things and be a good thing.

The answer to your question is not a blanket yes or no it really depends on the school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
when u say undersized - what does that mean 5 foot 7 8, 9,? just curious

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Massapequa MAY, have two 2019's on the varsity. They are a very good group, with two excellent goalies, an excellent but undersized attackman who is being heavily recruited. Three or four really good middies, A great FOGO, and a couple of really decent defensemen.

Massapequa and WM 2019 (with 2020 goalie) are 2 of the top 2019's on the island. Look forward to seeing those clashes as the boys get older. if my memeory serves me JV cant play non conference games but can scrimmage

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top colleges really won't recruit too many undersized 2019 kids until they see if they will be getting much bigger. The Div II and III will recruit them heavily and see if they can get them to go for it..Way too much size at Div 1 now and the physical play will wear on them quicker. Not fair but it is what it is and the kids are only going to get bigger

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kids do. Not everyone gets recruited or cares to.

Some JV programs the kids can hardly catch. Painful to watch

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are people's thoughts on Brine this Friday?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top colleges really won't recruit too many undersized 2019 kids until they see if they will be getting much bigger. The Div II and III will recruit them heavily and see if they can get them to go for it..Way too much size at Div 1 now and the physical play will wear on them quicker. Not fair but it is what it is and the kids are only going to get bigger

Ok were back to this discussion again. Shall we go through the list of "undersized" players again? Oh and Div 2 and 3 really dont recruit until Junior year so I dont know where you got the "they will recruit them heavily and see if they can get them to go for it" statement.........

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So which one is your son? Massapequa is a great town, love All American......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion I think it is going to be a bust. Most of the top players are not trying out. This summer the boys need to go to events that put them in front of college coaches. This event has little to no value as IMHO.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion I think it is going to be a bust. Most of the top players are not trying out. This summer the boys need to go to events that put them in front of college coaches. This event has little to no value as IMHO.

I dont know about that. Last year there were plenty of colleges on the sideline of Brine. More than Philly Freshman. I was at both. Facilities were awesome and so was the event. New event coordinators did a great job. Only thing that stunk was the team event where players had to sit in the heat and listen to those speeches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Smaller

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I dont know about that. Last year there were plenty of colleges on the sideline of Brine. More than Philly Freshman. I was at both. Facilities were awesome and so was the event. New event coordinators did a great job. Only thing that stunk was the team event where players had to sit in the heat and listen to those speeches.

Lol, was there last year. No college coaches except the ones being paid. The whole event has become a dinosaur, waste of time and money!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok were back to this discussion again. Shall we go through the list of "undersized" players again? Oh and Div 2 and 3 really dont recruit until Junior year so I dont know where you got the "they will recruit them heavily and see if they can get them to go for it" statement.........

I can guarantee the Div 1 coaches don't recruit the smaller players yet that's for sure unless the child is lightning fast and quickest on their team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can guarantee the Div 1 coaches don't recruit the smaller players yet that's for sure unless the child is lightning fast and quickest on their team

You people keep getting it wrong on the size thing. So many excell at their position being 5'9 and under. Please stop! Like the other poster stated, do we really have start naming named again? Can you play or not, end of discussion!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lol, was there last year. No college coaches except the ones being paid. The whole event has become a dinosaur, waste of time and money!

last years team was something special to watch a cast of characters. Of course a few kids were missing but special none the less. As far as college coaches, was at both the tournaments mentioned by far FPS had way more coaches. Brine had some but not nearly the amount as FPS. Although Brine did have college coaches as their coaches on the sideline.

As far as the heat you actually went to that ceremony in the heat, some found a nice place to cool off and stuff their faces before the last game.

I say at the least go to the tryout see who is there if for nothing else it is a good run before tryouts start Monday. As for the event your call they did change the date but may learned enough is enough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You people keep getting it wrong on the size thing. So many excell at their position being 5'9 and under. Please stop! Like the other poster stated, do we really have start naming named again? Can you play or not, end of discussion!

sorry your son is teeney, tiny, but the window for smaller players is closing. Of course there are exceptions, but just like every other sport, bigger, faster, stronger is the future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who's naming names. It's not just about can you play. This sport like many others size is an issue and factor. The defenseman over the years have evolved into the bigger and more athletic kids, not like years ago at all. So being bigger is a huge advantage as long as you are athletic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

last years team was something special to watch a cast of characters. Of course a few kids were missing but special none the less. As far as college coaches, was at both the tournaments mentioned by far FPS had way more coaches. Brine had some but not nearly the amount as FPS. Although Brine did have college coaches as their coaches on the sideline.

As far as the heat you actually went to that ceremony in the heat, some found a nice place to cool off and stuff their faces before the last game.

I say at the least go to the tryout see who is there if for nothing else it is a good run before tryouts start Monday. As for the event your call they did change the date but may learned enough is enough.

You do know most tournaments pay the coaches to be there. I guess I saw different at Brine and Philly. I felt there were more coaches at the playoff games of Brine then at Philly Showcase.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your kid is a player and they move him up to varsity and he doesn't get much time then what's the hype all about. One of my son's was brought up as a sophomore, didn't ask for it but the coach wanted him there only to watch other kids who he was better than play ahead of him. My son is a big kid yet the freshman they brought up played because his brother was a lax guy at the hs. It will never change with coaches bringing up a kid as a favor. If they don't play let them stay on jv. By the way my son quit lax. Good job coaches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who's naming names. It's not just about can you play. This sport like many others size is an issue and factor. The defenseman over the years have evolved into the bigger and more athletic kids, not like years ago at all. So being bigger is a huge advantage as long as you are athletic.

yes of course size is a factor but certainly not the only one. Coaches also look for the non measurables such as heart, discipline, character, and so on. You can be 6'4 but if you dont work hard and youre a knucklehead, coaches will go with a smaller player with the intangibles hes looking for. I know all the parents advocating size have big kids of their own obviously, but just because hes big doesnt necessarily guarantee him a spot on a Top 20 team going to the final four every year. D1 rosters are loaded with sub 6ft kids who compete and excel.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your kid is a player and they move him up to varsity and he doesn't get much time then what's the hype all about. One of my son's was brought up as a sophomore, didn't ask for it but the coach wanted him there only to watch other kids who he was better than play ahead of him. My son is a big kid yet the freshman they brought up played because his brother was a lax guy at the hs. It will never change with coaches bringing up a kid as a favor. If they don't play let them stay on jv. By the way my son quit lax. Good job coaches.

So the freshmen played over your son?. Maybe he was better. Maybe your son wasn't really into playing lacrosse and if so then he did the right thing. Don't blame the boy or the coaches .Blame.....you can fill in the blank

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So the freshmen played over your son?. Maybe he was better. Maybe your son wasn't really into playing lacrosse and if so then he did the right thing. Don't blame the boy or the coaches .Blame.....you can fill in the blank

I'm not involved in this specific one, but I say blame the HS coach and club coach every time and close to every time you'll be spot on. I have one kid in college and one kid just starting HS as a 9th grader. When my oldest was involved only a few years ago in HS lacrosse there were ZERO instances of kids getting brokered up to varsity and then brokered onto the field. Now we are seeing A LOT of that here in Maryland. My second son is a JV player, and that is the field he belongs on this year. Two kids who managed to commit to colleges will run on varsity, but neither kid belongs on that field and we all can see through it. A third kid who does not play club at all will start at SSDM as a 9th grader because he is a super freaky great athlete who contributed on varsity football and wrestling as a freshman. We all can see through that too...baloney and hype didn't put him on the varsity, his level of play did.

I have never in my life seen anything worse in sports than these club locusts who push a college to commit a kid before 9th grade varsity season, and then twist the screws on the HS coach. Sure, all the HS coaches claim they don't get played by pushy club guys and parents but nearly every time they just roll over. Can't have a kid committed to XYZ on the JV team. Looks bad for the kid, the parents and the club coach who sold him and can't be wrong and second guessed. If there are kids who are juniors and seniors who are affected by this and get alienated and want to just quit, I don't call them quitters. Stuff like this should never happen in high school sports. I call the club guys pimps and the HS coaches who roll over wimps. Lacrosse seems to be the only HS sport now where you can make varsity because of what you didn't do on the HS field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not involved in this specific one, but I say blame the HS coach and club coach every time and close to every time you'll be spot on. I have one kid in college and one kid just starting HS as a 9th grader. When my oldest was involved only a few years ago in HS lacrosse there were ZERO instances of kids getting brokered up to varsity and then brokered onto the field. Now we are seeing A LOT of that here in Maryland. My second son is a JV player, and that is the field he belongs on this year. Two kids who managed to commit to colleges will run on varsity, but neither kid belongs on that field and we all can see through it. A third kid who does not play club at all will start at SSDM as a 9th grader because he is a super freaky great athlete who contributed on varsity football and wrestling as a freshman. We all can see through that too...baloney and hype didn't put him on the varsity, his level of play did.

I have never in my life seen anything worse in sports than these club locusts who push a college to commit a kid before 9th grade varsity season, and then twist the screws on the HS coach. Sure, all the HS coaches claim they don't get played by pushy club guys and parents but nearly every time they just roll over. Can't have a kid committed to XYZ on the JV team. Looks bad for the kid, the parents and the club coach who sold him and can't be wrong and second guessed. If there are kids who are juniors and seniors who are affected by this and get alienated and want to just quit, I don't call them quitters. Stuff like this should never happen in high school sports. I call the club guys pimps and the HS coaches who roll over wimps. Lacrosse seems to be the only HS sport now where you can make varsity because of what you didn't do on the HS field.

Are you at the practices watching these kids . Is your son coming in last, is he digging it ,showing up late. You don't know so how can you say anything. Some kids care about the sport and play hard others play because Dad said to and others play just to be on a team. Know all the facts before you say anything and chances are you wont know all the facts

Page 40 of 47 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard